Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowling, The Budget and Youth 19:23 - Apr 29 with 560 viewsdavey_ravey_snr

I've just seen an article on the BBC about an interview RC gave to late kick off. Personally there were a few things in that interview that surprised.

It came across that RC wouldn't have been to bothered if we'd have been relegated. He states it would be bad but nothing too much to worry about. Personally as a fan, I'm not sure I'm too happy with being relegated and watching my team play in a lower division. But what I find most surprising by this is how for years Cowling has been banging the drum that not enough people go and watch Colchester. I'm not sure playing in a lower division would do much to ease his moaning.

I was also gobsmacked when I saw that the youth development budget is £1M! Wow, this to me seems like a serious sum of money. I think it is fantastic that such investment is being made, but is this too much of a gamble? The playing budget is being cut again for next season, so we're bound to be a struggling league 1 team next season. Will top young talent want to come and join us? The facilities and academy may be very good, but surely the first team has to show some ambition?

The other thing that strikes me is that this does seem like a gamble. He hints how top talent can be pinched away for nothing based on our current status, which is a very valid point. But is this what Cowling is after? Is he trying to pump so much money in to the youth development budget that eventually we will grow a huge talent that can be sold for big bucks like a Southampton? This seems the case to me, but it also seems like a huge gamble. At the end of the day its not my money, but I'm not sure its one I would take.

I'm not being negative about the fact we're developing youth, I think it is great. But I also think it is such a massive gamble. These players need to be good enough to play in our 1st team to ensure league 1 survival and the only way we'll know is by playing them. Some have done great and show enormous potential (Gilbey, Wright & Bonne) while there are others I'm not just sure on. In my eyes this is a big gamble and I just hope RC gets it right.
Cowling, The Budget and Youth on 19:55 - Apr 29 with 550 viewswessex_exile

Good points Davey, so I'll pick up on a few if I may. Regarding relegation (and attendance levels) I can sort of understand what he's saying - in fact I posted a message a while ago about whether relegation might actually not have been so bad for the U's. Don't get me wrong, I'm bloody delighted we're not going to be, but if the history of the U's has always shown us, we have a hardcore support of about 3.5k, and the rest only come out to watch a winning side. Because we'll always struggle to compete in League 1 (whether anyone wants to admit it or not, and despite two seasons in the Championship, I will always contend that our 'natural' level is upper League 2), a season dropping down a league to a level we can much more easily compete at the top end of the table would do wonders for confidence, team spirit and most importantly attendance levels - provided we did well, it would be a huge gamble to actively want relegation just in case.

Will top young talent want to cone to Col U? Difficult, but on balance, and particularly if we can achieve Cat 2 status, I'd say most definitely. The fixture list occupies 90, maybe up to 180 minutes per week, the rest is all about the training facilities - that's where the squad do their day-to-day work. Big clubs with young talent I believe will look to those facilities just as much as they'll look for a team at the top end of the table - let's face it, young 'uns are surely far less likely to get game time in a successful team challenging for promotion?

It is a gamble though, you're right - and £1m is an awful lot of money, but I do recall in a previous interview (or maybe function?) didn't RC say that he considered Crewe the model we should follow? If so, invest a lump of money so that (a) we don't have to spend too much on acquisitions, and (b) occasionally sell one on for a few quid begins to look more shrewd than a gamble. You mentioned three youngsters in Gilbey, Wright and Bonne who have all pretty much come through this season alone, surely that reinforces the point?

In the final analysis, RC may well be a passionate football supporter, but at the end of the day he's actually a very successful businessman first and foremost - I reckon he's weighed up the odds and decided to twist rather than stick (or even fold!).

Incidentally, while I have your attention, congratulations on your U'sual Prediction League performance, one game to go and still in with a shout of getting 2nd place - top work sir!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Cowling, The Budget and Youth on 20:48 - Apr 29 with 537 viewswessex_exile

Case in point - the U18s are currently leading the Youth Alliance Cup Final at Bradford City 4-1, with a hat-trick from Sammy Szmodics

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Cowling, The Budget and Youth on 21:28 - Apr 29 with 522 viewsbwildered

Funding is available from the Premier League, depending on Academy status , level one being the elite.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Cowling, The Budget and Youth on 08:28 - Apr 30 with 486 viewsnoah4x4

Unable to make it to Bradford due to other commitments, I was at Charlton Athletic last night (as a neutral) watching a side containing SEVEN products of their esteemed youth academy thump Watford 3-1 to secure their survival in the Championship. Respected Addicks coach José Riga who has turned around their fortunes is all over the media today praising the club's youth policy and the owners past foresight and investment in its academy.

The vision of Robbie Cowling (and Joe Dunne) is evidently not out of line with other footballing professionals that understand the modern paradigm of Financial Fair Play and senior playing budget constraints. If we regain Academy Two status; we get greater funding support and vast compensation if we lose any of our young talent to bigger clubs, so it's a win-win. Let's hope we succeed this time.

Lastly, what a joy it was to watch Captain Fantastic Johnny Jackson inspiring these Charlton kids, and score a goal himself. The programme notes confirm him to be Charlton's leading goal assists provider and he is evidently worshipped by the fans. What a shame Lambert drove my my all-time favourite player away.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024