Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Station 09:31 - May 2 with 10055 views1jack

Is it now time for the club to seriously look at putting a small railway station near the ground. Several times since we've been at the liberty I have walked from high street and got bloody soaked. I would use this for every game and obviously there are others that would, the infrastructure is there and I believe it would cost around £1 million. Anyone else think this should happen?
Station on 11:20 - May 2 with 2742 views1983

Station on 10:57 - May 2 by tomdickharry

No, as I am not a railway person,but it just takes a modicum of common sense related to cost to realise that it just will not happen.Just look at one simple reason in the 1983 post, time table, trains just don't stop and start again without a prescribed time which has to be programmed into a complex system and also published,this has to happen in the time table of all trains that come and go from Swansea,therefore,as an example the Paddington to Swansea time table has to be amended accordingly,just tell me who is going to foot the bill for that one,no,I'll tell you Swansea City,an intangible cost that will never ever be taken on by our club.

You're exactly on the right track TDH...no pun intended
[Post edited 2 May 2014 11:20]

Station on 11:26 - May 2 with 2731 viewsDyfnant

Station on 11:16 - May 2 by 1983

I'm just a railway worker with knowledge of the railway.

At the end of the day it all comes down to pounds, shillings and pence and in the big grand scheme of things our glorious leaders will spend it on 101 other things before a railway station that gets used once every fortnight.

Logic should say it's not about how often it's used but about footfall, which I expect would be far in excess of the majority of stops within 10 mile of it

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Station on 11:29 - May 2 with 2725 viewsJackSomething

Station on 10:56 - May 2 by Molliemick

The idea is a good one but with the facts you have presented you have shown your acceptance of the status quo. WAG wastes huge amounts of money but spends little in West Wales. As a local 'expert', please try to give us some positive information not simply dismiss the whole project out of hand. Thanks

The guy has worked in the railway industry and is giving us the benefit of his experience, it's not his fault if there's no positive information to give!

In an ideal world, opening the station at Landore would happen, but I've read many times it's just not going to happen due to the costs involved.

Not sure why people are so obsessed with the idea. Others have suggested having a fleet of buses hired to transport fans to different areas, which is something other clubs do, so why not concentrate on that?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Station on 11:32 - May 2 with 2718 viewsJackSomething

Station on 11:26 - May 2 by Dyfnant

Logic should say it's not about how often it's used but about footfall, which I expect would be far in excess of the majority of stops within 10 mile of it

Footfall probably would be more than other stops, but only for around 20-30 days out of the year, plus whatever small number may use it for Ospreys games.

The Swans mean a lot to us, but they're hardly top of the list of priorities when it comes to Welsh Government and Swansea Council budget allocations.

Station on 11:45 - May 2 with 2701 views1983

As regards to the WAG and the railway, the line that goes up through the centre of Wales from Llanelli to Shrewsbury (the heart of Wales line) is totally subsidised by the WAG and if they pulled money out of that it would close tomorrow no question.

Station on 12:00 - May 2 with 2681 viewsClinton

Afraid to say, reopen ing Landore would not make economic sense. Look how much it cost to lay a few slabs around Swansea station, allegedly to make it into a transport hub

One partial answer would be to actually run extra buses along the special bus lane they constructed round the back of Hafod. they built the thing but don't have the sense to use it very much to alleviate congestion on match days.

The club could put in the transport plan that they would run extra buses along the stretch between the bus station, train station and The liberty. Then extra buses to and from the park and rides. The council could not really turn it down as a plan because it builds on and utilises the infrastructure that the council put in place at such enormous cost. I reckon the club would have to fork out for extra bus hire and services, but that would not cost anywhere near as much as reopen ing Landore.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Station on 12:10 - May 2 with 2671 viewsJackSomething

Station on 12:00 - May 2 by Clinton

Afraid to say, reopen ing Landore would not make economic sense. Look how much it cost to lay a few slabs around Swansea station, allegedly to make it into a transport hub

One partial answer would be to actually run extra buses along the special bus lane they constructed round the back of Hafod. they built the thing but don't have the sense to use it very much to alleviate congestion on match days.

The club could put in the transport plan that they would run extra buses along the stretch between the bus station, train station and The liberty. Then extra buses to and from the park and rides. The council could not really turn it down as a plan because it builds on and utilises the infrastructure that the council put in place at such enormous cost. I reckon the club would have to fork out for extra bus hire and services, but that would not cost anywhere near as much as reopen ing Landore.

Now that is a good suggestion. I completely forgot about that extra bus lane.

It'll add to the traffic between where it rejoins Neath Road up to the roundabout by the liberty, but then they could take the bus lane at the roundabout and drop off/pick up between Vesuvios and Rossis.

All you would need is some people stopping cars parking on that stretch and you could have plenty of buses stopping and loading/unloading safely.

Station on 12:24 - May 2 with 2646 viewsMorfa_Same

Station on 10:27 - May 2 by tomdickharry

Thank goodness at last someone has come up with sound reasons why the Landore station will not be reopened,the possibility has been labored in the hundreds of posts on Stadium expansion so lets hope that the facts now before us park this subject in the sidings once and for all. It will not happen.

There's no reason at all why Landore can't be reopened on match days. Birmingham do exactly the same thing with Bordesley station. It's long since closed but they open it on matchdays for a couple of hours before and after the match. It only takes a few moments for trains passing through to make an extra stop. All common sense really (which is why it won't happen around here).
Login to get fewer ads

Station on 12:36 - May 2 with 2627 viewsNOTRAC

It is not impossible for stations closed even under the Beeching axe to be reopened.Llantrisant(now Pontyclun ) is one example .
Indeed Ninian Park Halt was closed and reopened a few years ago
Unfortunately there are too many people who are too negative where Swansea is concerned.Pretend we were talking about Cardiff and then you'ld see some action.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Station on 13:12 - May 2 with 2604 viewswestside

when they build the hafod bypass by extending morfa road up along the river to landore.

they could take one of the railway sidings at high street station and also extend it up to landore alongside the new morfa road bypass.

then build a platform by the copperworks and run a little train back and forth between high street and landore.

it could be used for the liberty stadium, copperworks future museum, morfa shopping park, copper quarter and residents and workers of hafod/landore/lower llansamlet area.

wag are spending fortunes on transport in south east wales.
£60 million cardiff airport.
£2 billion metro.
£1 billion m4 relief road.

yet they aren't delivering any grand transport plans for swansea when a train station in landore could be part of a bigger transport plan for swansea area.
Station on 14:10 - May 2 with 2570 viewsLeonisGod

Station would be great, but it will never happen. They can't even get buses matching up with match times, especially on Sundays and evening. What chance is there for the joined-up thinking that would be needed to put in decent rail infrastructure that would help ease road traffic around the ground - very little imo.
Station on 15:34 - May 2 with 2519 viewsjackharris

Station on 09:37 - May 2 by Private_Partz

Looking from the Station pub it would seem the old Landore stop is still in tact. The underpasses to the platforms are still there and have merely been bricked up. I am sure it would not be a massively expensive project to reopen it. Excellent for policing the away fans into the ground as well.
[Post edited 2 May 2014 9:38]

Former Landore High Level (GWR) Station Entrance

This 1998 image taken from the junction of Hamilton Street and Station Road shows the bricked up entrance to the former Landore High Level (GWR) Station which closed in November 1964.

This station was suffixed 'High Level' for a while to distinguish it from the 'Low Level' station which closed in 1954. Another bricked up arch exists further down Station Road.
[Post edited 2 May 2014 15:37]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Station on 17:47 - May 2 with 2471 viewsBrynmill_Jack

To be fair if the club can't even get around the table with first Cymru to put some extra buses on around match times to get people to and from the ground to discourage people taking their cars what f*cking hope have we got for a railway station?

Again the lack of any information/ideas being presented by the club to the fans is rather akin to the silence they're keeping over the expansion issue.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Station on 17:53 - May 2 with 2467 viewsBrynmill_Jack

And with the money they're now earning out of the club it's about time they remembered those they used to number themselves among - the ordinary fans.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Station on 18:00 - May 2 with 2458 viewsPrivate_Partz

Thanks for that JackH. It is actually a very funny photo with the No Entry sign :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Station on 18:13 - May 2 with 2360 viewsoldgrey

An even cheaper and easy solution would be to just have lots of buses before and after games. From the bus station, railway station via the new bypass road to the park and ride and points north.
Station on 18:21 - May 2 with 2352 viewsPrivate_Partz

In the first instance that would seem to be the best solution Oldgrey. When the White Rock opened we had three park and rides I think. Only one running now. These could be easily and cheaply resurrected.
It does not alter that fact that the transport infrastructure of Wales ( outside of Cardiff) needs to be addressed urgently.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Station on 18:26 - May 2 with 2348 viewsNeath_Jack

Those saying it can't be done are talking utter tosh. Of course it will cost money, but what doesn't. I'll give you a few examples, Briton Ferry and Skewen have opened stations in the last 20 years or so.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Station on 18:30 - May 2 with 2344 viewsJackTheLad

Ok, I was sort of being serious about the transport boat thing. Surely that would be more cost effective and a direct route into the city centre? Could be used for transport to and from the Morfa Shopping park and Copper Quarter residents also Not to mention, the experience would be fantastic
[Post edited 2 May 2014 18:32]

Poll: Who would you like to see take over long term as Manager?

Station on 18:34 - May 2 with 2337 viewsraynor94

Station on 18:26 - May 2 by Neath_Jack

Those saying it can't be done are talking utter tosh. Of course it will cost money, but what doesn't. I'll give you a few examples, Briton Ferry and Skewen have opened stations in the last 20 years or so.

Even llansamlet has a station! I don't buy into this landore can't be reopened as an earlier post said Brum manage it quite easily

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Station on 18:37 - May 2 with 2334 viewsNeath_Jack

Station on 18:34 - May 2 by raynor94

Even llansamlet has a station! I don't buy into this landore can't be reopened as an earlier post said Brum manage it quite easily

Of course it can be done.

I remember when there were eminent posters on here trying to tell us that the Liberty couldn't be extended too. I've been in Civil Engineering all my life, there isn't a lot that can't be done these days.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Station on 18:48 - May 2 with 2323 viewsjunior_jack

I too work within the rail industry. I agree with everything that 1983 has said, the cost will be phenomenal. The only real chance of opening a new station is if it is tied in with the over head electrification scheme. The area is going to be re-signaled so it would be the cheapest time to do it.
Station on 18:58 - May 2 with 2312 viewsDyfnant

Station on 18:48 - May 2 by junior_jack

I too work within the rail industry. I agree with everything that 1983 has said, the cost will be phenomenal. The only real chance of opening a new station is if it is tied in with the over head electrification scheme. The area is going to be re-signaled so it would be the cheapest time to do it.

Landore can be served by trains coming from west wales, those trains drive right through it. Under 10 minutes travel time from Gowerton, which would need a much bigger car park though.
It's already proven by the park & ride failures that people will not use buses for part journeys, sorting a solution for those travelling across the city from west to East will solve the majority of current problems

Station on 19:20 - May 2 with 2290 viewsjunior_jack

Station on 18:58 - May 2 by Dyfnant

Landore can be served by trains coming from west wales, those trains drive right through it. Under 10 minutes travel time from Gowerton, which would need a much bigger car park though.
It's already proven by the park & ride failures that people will not use buses for part journeys, sorting a solution for those travelling across the city from west to East will solve the majority of current problems

It's on the South Wales Mainline, all trains go through it. Personally I don't think that the old Landore station would be the best solution if one were to be built. They would never allow a train to block up a junction while fans pour on and off. For me the real solution is Landore Social club. There is an old sidings which could be re-opened and accommodate scheduled trains on match days.
Station on 19:25 - May 2 with 2284 viewsDyfnant

Station on 19:20 - May 2 by junior_jack

It's on the South Wales Mainline, all trains go through it. Personally I don't think that the old Landore station would be the best solution if one were to be built. They would never allow a train to block up a junction while fans pour on and off. For me the real solution is Landore Social club. There is an old sidings which could be re-opened and accommodate scheduled trains on match days.

Even better as there's plenty of empty land there, all we need then is the club to buy the social club and start earning cash pre match

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024