Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? 08:57 - May 13 with 8479 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:31 - May 14 with 1381 viewspencoedjack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:55 - May 14 by Uxbridge

You say that like it's a bad thing. I rather enjoyed my jolly boys outings to Malmo, Valencia and St Gallen.

I've seen a few mentions about how next season is so important and we can't have things messing with that. Well, isn't it always? Who knows, we might get relegated next season anyway ... I'd rather have the memories of superb occasions against some of Europe's finest than treading water.

We're fans. Just what is the point of us being in the Premier League if we can't enjoy the benefits of it?

Spot on Uxbridge.

I am convinced those who don't want European football do not travel.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:37 - May 14 with 1374 viewsSwansNZ

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:12 - May 14 by jack247

Who were the last team to play in the Europa league and get relegated the same season? If any? Were Newcastle or Leeds in it the seasons they went down?

Wigan won the FA cup and went down, so maybe we shouldn't try it hard in that either, obviously harms your end of season in the league.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:46 - May 14 with 1361 viewsWhiterockin

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:31 - May 14 by pencoedjack

Spot on Uxbridge.

I am convinced those who don't want European football do not travel.

This is exactly my point. Do people want European football because they want to travel or because they think it will benefit the club in the long term.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:46 - May 14 with 1361 viewsDewi1jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:05 - May 14 by Whiterockin

So fixtures directly after European ties.

Won 2
Drawn 3
Lost 5

With no wins after the middle of September you could argue that the squad then started to tire.

Lets face it, there are arguments for both sides. Just how much of the supporters siding on Europe are doing it for self satisfaction of an away trip and not necessary what is best for the long term future of the club.

Booby Madeley robbed us against Stoke RFC, awarding a penalty that only Begovic appealed for. Begovic stated in his interview, he appeals for everything when he comes forward! One draw that really should have been a win.
Didn't expect (nor can we ever expect ) to beat Utd/ Tottingham/ Liverpool/ Citey. Those games account for 4 losses in that period of 5 losses and 3 of them were away. Plus we gave it a bloody good go to try and beat them, as you know.
Southampton away, was never going to be an expected win either.
In fact, IMHO, there is no such thing as an expected win for the Swans. We have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory many times before (and vice versa thankfully!!)
Think you trying to justify using those 5 losses as a reason against Euro games is on this occasion, a bit misguided.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:48 - May 14 with 1354 viewsNeath_Jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:37 - May 14 by SwansNZ

Wigan won the FA cup and went down, so maybe we shouldn't try it hard in that either, obviously harms your end of season in the league.

Didn't Portsmouth go down after winning it as well?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:59 - May 14 with 1340 viewspencoedjack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:46 - May 14 by Whiterockin

This is exactly my point. Do people want European football because they want to travel or because they think it will benefit the club in the long term.

Both

I enjoy travelling away with Swans

European football raises the clubs profile ...... I travel a lot with work & believe me not every country classes the Europa league as a distraction.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:01 - May 14 with 1336 viewsDewi1jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:48 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

Brum won the League Cup and got relegated.
Maybe we shouldn't try in that cup either just in case we get relegated also.

Oh...
Hang on a mo

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:02 - May 14 with 1336 viewsSwansNZ

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:48 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

They were runner-up when they went down.

Bobby had the honour of being the first manager in history to win the cup and get relegated.

Login to get fewer ads

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:03 - May 14 with 1332 viewsSwansNZ

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 10:01 - May 14 by Dewi1jack

Brum won the League Cup and got relegated.
Maybe we shouldn't try in that cup either just in case we get relegated also.

Oh...
Hang on a mo

Concentrate on the PL and get knocked out of the cups early by Blackburn and Shrewsbury. Job done

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:14 - May 14 with 1302 viewsUxbridge

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:46 - May 14 by Whiterockin

Or because all they want is to watch their teams on the telly every week.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:27 - May 14 with 1291 viewsUxbridge

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:05 - May 14 by Whiterockin

So fixtures directly after European ties.

Won 2
Drawn 3
Lost 5

With no wins after the middle of September you could argue that the squad then started to tire.

Lets face it, there are arguments for both sides. Just how much of the supporters siding on Europe are doing it for self satisfaction of an away trip and not necessary what is best for the long term future of the club.

In those same fixtures (with one N/A, and one to come) this season, our results have been W3 D2 L4. Not exactly a world of difference.
[Post edited 14 May 2015 11:29]

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:31 - May 14 with 1280 viewsmacthejack

It seems to me that teams get relegated depending on how crap they are not what competitions they are playing in.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:36 - May 14 with 1267 viewsjack247

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:31 - May 14 by macthejack

It seems to me that teams get relegated depending on how crap they are not what competitions they are playing in.

Absolutely. If we had won the league cup and were on course to finish 17th it would be a valid argument. Teams don't finish 7th and then get relegated the next season.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:40 - May 14 with 1262 viewsymaohyd

Absolutely I would like us to qualify. Mainly because I couldn't afford to travel out to Malmo or Valencia last time and would love to have that experience.

If it meant a few league positions dropped in 2015/16 so be it.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:50 - May 14 with 1244 viewsDewi1jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 11:36 - May 14 by jack247

Absolutely. If we had won the league cup and were on course to finish 17th it would be a valid argument. Teams don't finish 7th and then get relegated the next season.

Teams that are relegated seem to fall into the following categories
Board mismanagement/ financial mismanagement ie Blackburn, Fulham ,Bolton, Birmingham, Pompey, 'Ull
Thinking they're too big and good to go down, Newcastle
Teams being promoted and falling to strengthen the squad properly/ buying the wrong type of players, Burnley, Blackpool.

And teams that are just absolutely sh1te at playing football and should consider other sports to play- Crapduff and QPhaha

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 12:23 - May 14 with 1222 viewsC_jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:25 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

Our Results after playing in Europa, make of it what you will.

As for the poll, a mahoosive yes from me drive.

8th Aug
Malmo 0 - 0 Swansea
17th Aug
Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd (Would this result have been any different, i doubt it)

22nd Aug
Swansea 5 - 1 Petrolul Ploiesti
25th Aug
Tottenham 1 - 0 Swansea (Again, wouldn't have made a difference imo)

29th Aug
Petrolul Ploiesti 2 - 1 Swansea
1st Sep
West Brom 0 - 2 Swansea

19th Sep
Valencia 0 - 3 Swansea
22nd Sep
C Palace 0 - 2 Swansea

3rd Oct
Swansea 1 - 0 St Gallen
6th Oct
Southampton 2 - 0 Swansea

24th Oct
Swansea 1 - 1 Kuban K
27th Oct
Swansea 0 - 0 West Ham

7th Nov
Kuban K 1 - 1 Swansea
10th Nov
Swansea 3 - 3 Stoke

28th Nov
Swansea 0 - 1 Valencia
1st Dec
Man City 3 - 0 Swansea

12th Dec
St Gallen 1 - 0 Swansea
15th Dec
Norwich 1 - 1 Swansea

20th Feb
Swansea 0 - 0 Napoli
23rd Feb
Liverpool 4 - 3 Swansea

27th Feb
Napoli 3 - 1 Swansea
2nd Mar
Swansea 1 - 1 C Palace

There was a 9 day gap between the Malmo game and opener against United. The relationship between the two results is weak to say the least.

It's far more reliable to take the context of the competition, from the group stage forwards, as a whole, into account.

Overall - W1, D4, L2

Ahh.. but it's the travel on those terrible 2 hour private chartered flights to Switzerland that kill you, if we take results after away games into consideration..

Away - W1, D3, L0

That's 0 losses after an away game in the Europa League.
[Post edited 14 May 2015 12:23]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024