Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What now for the Super U's? 19:16 - Aug 22 with 1418 viewsjonestones

Although we haven't reached the magic '10 games in' scenario, we have played a number of games that hint at what we can expect for the coming season. What are your views? How do you feel we have performed so far? What do we need most to improve? Have we solved any of last seasons problems? Which of our summer signings has impressed you the most?
What now for the Super U's? on 20:22 - Aug 22 with 1389 viewsLeadbelly

The league table makes much more sense after ten games but there are no teams in the bottom four at the moment, Bradford aside, that should come as a big surprise.

I said long before the season started that I couldn't buy into the rampant optimism seen in some quarters which I felt was rather ignoring the fact the performance last season were poor far more often than they were good. I remain very negative about our prospects.

I've seen all three home games so must base my comments on those. Nothing learned from last season as far as I can see. Same formation, same limited movement off the ball, same poor passing, same individual errors in defence. The ball is being moved forward more quickly but there seems to be a reliance on raking diagonal balls. Great if they work...which is rare.

We need to improve passing, movement, shooting, set pieces and defending. In other words, the basics.

The summer signings were mostly known to us but I think Edwards has looked the best so far.

My view is there is talent in the squad but I don't see the leadership necessary, on or off the pitch, to improve from last season. Humes is welded to a formation that I don't like. I don't care what he calls it, it's one up front and not what we need at home. He makes substitutions far too late and they follow a familiar pattern.

In summary, not enjoyed it so far but it's what I expected. Relegation six pointer on Boxing Day!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2015 20:35]

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What now for the Super U's? on 09:07 - Aug 23 with 1313 viewsjonestones

What now for the Super U's? on 20:22 - Aug 22 by Leadbelly

The league table makes much more sense after ten games but there are no teams in the bottom four at the moment, Bradford aside, that should come as a big surprise.

I said long before the season started that I couldn't buy into the rampant optimism seen in some quarters which I felt was rather ignoring the fact the performance last season were poor far more often than they were good. I remain very negative about our prospects.

I've seen all three home games so must base my comments on those. Nothing learned from last season as far as I can see. Same formation, same limited movement off the ball, same poor passing, same individual errors in defence. The ball is being moved forward more quickly but there seems to be a reliance on raking diagonal balls. Great if they work...which is rare.

We need to improve passing, movement, shooting, set pieces and defending. In other words, the basics.

The summer signings were mostly known to us but I think Edwards has looked the best so far.

My view is there is talent in the squad but I don't see the leadership necessary, on or off the pitch, to improve from last season. Humes is welded to a formation that I don't like. I don't care what he calls it, it's one up front and not what we need at home. He makes substitutions far too late and they follow a familiar pattern.

In summary, not enjoyed it so far but it's what I expected. Relegation six pointer on Boxing Day!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2015 20:35]

I agree Lead. There are so many talented youngsters now. It is excellent to see. However there are no Watson, Brown, Jackson, Dugrid or Izzet characters on the pitch to guide the younger players. I'm sure with a few more talented 'older heads we would be fine. But can we afford them? Under current rules, maybe not. Maybe this is now it is going to be for the foreseeable future.
What now for the Super U's? on 12:09 - Aug 23 with 1288 viewspwrightsknees

What now for the Super U's? on 09:07 - Aug 23 by jonestones

I agree Lead. There are so many talented youngsters now. It is excellent to see. However there are no Watson, Brown, Jackson, Dugrid or Izzet characters on the pitch to guide the younger players. I'm sure with a few more talented 'older heads we would be fine. But can we afford them? Under current rules, maybe not. Maybe this is now it is going to be for the foreseeable future.

Quite right, Jonesy.

Moreover, it will be difficult to attract quality players of whatever age and experience to a club lying just one place from bottom in League 1. No player likes to have "relegation" on his CV, and that's what seems to be in prospect.
What now for the Super U's? on 13:10 - Aug 24 with 1201 viewsjonestones

The fact that we are talking about relegation already, and we are not even in September yet, is not a good sign is it?!!!!
What now for the Super U's? on 13:14 - Aug 24 with 1200 viewsLeadbelly

Not good at all but, based on results so far, more realistic than discussing our chances of promotion.

Fairly scathing match report from Carl Marston in the EADT today and Humes highlighted the fact that the players didn't do the basics. Glad he agrees with me. Now sort it out!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024