Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report 11:12 - Oct 18 with 952 viewsnoah4x4

Even my psychologist step-daughter couldn’t answer the question “what do you say to survivors of a second major train crash in two weeks”. …but here goes….

After his awesome under 21 performance on Monday it was sad to see Dion Sembie-Ferris completely snuffed out by a full back that cost £1M; and then wave after wave of attacks pour down exposed full back Olefumi’s flank. Yes, inexperience was in evidence, but Tosin perhaps unfairly took the blame from many fans. He can’t ever succesfully defend solo when it’s two/three attackers on one. So how did this debacle happen?

In the absence of Garvan and Massey; personnel changes had to be made. We seemed to start at 4-4-2 (or was it supposed to be 4-4-1-1?) with Porter and Sordell jointly leading the line; sometimes getting in each other’s way; and it simply didn’t work (but at least we were attempting a “Plan B”!). I fast lost count of the number of stray passes from Gilbey that missed Sordell by ten yards and/or the number of hoof-ball lobs from our back four to Porter that a powerful home defence brushed aside like flies. We saw Eastman and Kent pulled into defensive duties very high up the pitch as our forwards uncharacteristically surrendered the ball too cheaply (as they did against Shrewsbury). This was nothing like our normal 'shape' or pattern of play; and once again a very physical side took us apart over 90' (in between two half decent 45' periods).

This suggests to me that those fans that clamour for 4-4-2 are mistaken. It requires too much physical presence (which we don’t have) and leaves our full backs that must get forward to offer width exposed. It was horrible for fifteen minutes during which time we conceded three goals including a somewhat unlucky second. Wigan’s 3-5-2 choked our midfield; the Latics were a yard faster and miles more skilful, as one might perhaps expect from the Premier League/F A Cup winners of 2012-13. The Latics are not a Portsmouth or Blackpool strangled by debt. It’s still a wealthy club enjoying parachute payments; with a playing depth reflected by Grant Holt being on the bench; a player with 74 goals in 196 Premier league/Championship appearances. Frankly, I reckon they will now go on to win the league having recovered from injuries and misfortune (example; Holt had been out until yesterday for 10 months with a cruciate ligament injury). They have recently been putting together some recent good results to challenge the league pace setters (versus Bury; Walsall etc.) and I reckon that the U's won’t be the last to be slaughtered by them this season. Just surprised that they had so little momentum in August.

We ultimately reverted to our normal “Plan A” (4-5-1) in the second period and then gained some composure. At times, it even looked as though we might even “win” the second half; albeit that the game was long lost (after 4-0) on 33’. We were certainly much better (but not the better team) after Moncur and Ambrose came on for Sembie-Ferris and Porter. We then got the ball onto the deck and played some decent football; whilst Kent; Briggs and Eastman did some excellent defending. It was simply a very bad (first half) day at the office; a better second and we can’t argue that that Tony Humes didn’t have a Plan B given that we improved (but perhaps he should have perhaps stuck with Plan A from the outset!).

Once Garvan and Massey return (for Sembie Ferris and Gilbey), I believe that we will again hit the winning trail. But Gilbey has had two consecutive shockers and must make way; and Drey Wright hasn’t been back to his best in the Under 21s. So if neither Garvan or Massey are fit for Tuesday (Port Vale), then I feel that Ambrose must start; along with one of (either) Lapslie or Szmodics to in inject more pace and midfield ‘bite’. Szmodics (or Lapslie) might not have the skill of Garvan but his snarling nasty approach might compensate if Ambrose (playing narrower) and Edwards can play the currently missing quality through balls to Sordell and Moncur (who must start rather than Porter).

But my major fear is our full back crisis. Shrewsbury and Wigan have both cruelly exploited Olefumi/Elokobi; and we don’t have the excellent Vincent Young; or Wynter or Brindley (or O’Donahue) as alternative (fit) options; albeit that I am not convinced that they might have done any better. It was our awful ball retention and being a yard slower in midfield that resulted Tosin being utterly over whelmed (similarly Big George last week). Tosin hasn’t suddenly gone from M.O.M to a bad player, but nobody can’t defend solo against two/three on one. But his confidence must now be shattered. Edwards at full back might be an option? Maybe put Elokobi in at centre back to then move the excellent Kent to full back? Frankly, I am glad that I am not Tony Humes; as I really don’t have an answer to this conundrum; but remain confident that we can take three points on Tuesday if the Boo Boys stay at home and the truly loyal fans vocally support the team as we did against Bury.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 11:17]
Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 14:41 - Oct 18 with 884 viewsAFCMorant

I didn't think Wigan were a physical side. We were so powder puff it might have appeared so. Might as well have left at half time as the players certainly didn't turn up, at least it was only £20 to get in the beer was cheap. Another stunningly inept tactical display by our miserable manager - wrong man, wrong job. But of course, we can still make the play offs, ha ha ha ha.
Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 17:50 - Oct 18 with 845 viewsLeadbelly

We've been cack at the back all season so let's not suggest 4-4-2 made anything worse. We've conceded more goals, by some distance, than any other team in League 1 playing the preferred club system and Humes and the players aren't learning the lessons.

We are very unlikely to sign any new players so we either follow Humes's preferred option of keep doing the same thing and hope it works eventually or we try something different. Unfortunately i can't see manager or chairman making a change.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 21:12 - Oct 18 with 797 viewsnoah4x4

My 'report' simply reflects that Humes did change the starting system from our routine 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and until we reverted back to 'Plan A' we were even more awful than usual on any other of our frequent ‘off’ days.

But frankly, I am fed up with some U's fan's always bemoaning the manager's "tactics" when I reckon that the real problem lies with the players that don't/can't convert such theories into practice; and would probably do no better if we were offering them alternative tactical direction. Things are different in the Premier Division, but this is Division One. Sometimes we must simply blame the opposition for being far too good (e.g. Wigan) and on other occasions we must blame ourselves (e.g. Shrewsbury). Then at other times in defeat we are perhaps just a tad unlucky not to have got the first advantage (Bury) and the converse is true when we win (Blades). But we have so far enjoyed four wins over very decent quality opposition (Blades, Bantams, Gills and Swindon) and four draws; whilst those fans that don’t go to away games have witnessed only ONE league defeat since March. So are we really so bad in this brutal Third Tier division where six points (two wins) seperate ninth from twenty second and it features teams with the financial resources of Bradford; Blades; Wigan etc?

Sir Alex Ferguson's managerial win rate for Scotland was merely 30% and yet it was as high as 59% for Manure. Perhaps that means little except to highlight that the quality of one's opposition relative to one's own available resources (including financial) must always be considered (here; no disrespect to Scotland; what a brave effort on the rugby pitch today). At the conclusion of season 2004-05 Phil Parkinson's record was merely 59 points; concluding with five consecutive draws and one win to get us the eight points necessary to get us out of the relegation mire having already had 142 games in charge. But we still gave him the time to complete the job in the next season. Today, at Bradford in 2015-6, Phil has no more wins/draws than Humes (albeit with a game in hand); and he is there under massive pressure from the same fans that adored him when he pulled them out from the bowels of Division Two. I don't understand why; and is loyalty in football simply dead? It is interesting to note that in that same (U’s pre-promotion) season of 2004-5 Division One was graced with Tranmere; Hartlepool; Torquay, Wrexham and Stockport. Perhaps we (and the Bantams fans) should be grateful for something?

However, one has to agree that in some games the U's have been defensively shocking and that we were facing exactly the same problem at this stage last season after a similar pile of injuries to defenders (then to Kent and Magnus); that is until Humes acquired Gorkss and we promptly improved; but that was only until we then lost the big Latvian and floundered once again; until Humes later obtained Khumalo ; and only then did we have the defensive stability required from February to April 2015 to overcome a mountainous points deficit that had already accumulated before Christmas; most under Joe Dunne.

Sadly, this season has been almost a repeat of that with long term injuries arising before the end of October; this time to Brindley; Vincent-Young; Wynter etc. Big George Elokobi has been a popular signing but (IMHO) is not the solution, notably at full back. Maybe a return to fitness for KVY and Michael O'Donahue offers the best hope there, but I suspect that we will yet again have to look to the loan/U21 system/market. But a major difference is that we now have some quality in front of the back four in Gavan; Harriott and Sordell (but the former was absent on Saturday); suffice to have been able to knock in the extra goal needed in some high scoring exciting entertaining affairs. I sincerely believe this season is the turning point.

Norwich City conceded six goals today to (arguably) the worst side in the Premiership yet having scored two away goals (here, I see a parallel with Shrewsbury). I didn’t think that Norwich any more deserved to be on the end of that notable rout than the U's did at Gay Meadow. It is simply the cruel nature of football; that the wheels sometimes come completely off and Delia Smith; Stephen Fry and Hugh Jackman will get over it and so will we (especially if we win on Tuesday).

But short of lacing up his own boots, I am not sure what else Humes can do other than make another emergency loan defensive signing. We have had six managers in a similar number of years. That means six changes of plan; six squads turned over in each new manager's likeness. Yet six years of no "success". Or have we actually been succesful for 17 years given an earlier history of 50 years in DivisionTwo (Four)/Conference? At least we now have some continuity in a major division; albeit that only the early signs of further positive progress remain apparent.

Nobody since Parkinson other than Ward has held the U's managerial opportunity for more than two incomplete seasons and I don't see what benefit a seventh and immediate change of manager will bring at this juncture. At least we do do have some clear direction (e.g. financial stability; Academy II; a common playing style from U13's to first team etc.). But if the clamour to get a new manager does continue, and my voice loses out; can I suggest that we next get a 'player-manager-defender' and a 'player-manager-attacking-assistant'? Then they can kick the ball for the team; which some people obviously expect them to do. Those that still expect managers to be an animated and passionate in the 'Technical Area' have no comprehesion that the sports psychologists now advise otherwise. I played top flight rugby and can testify it is awful and confusing as a player. The worst disruption is over enthusisastic parents at youth games. It's also a safe bet that Northampton fans will also soon envy the benefactor and safe hands that is Robbie Cowling. Rant over.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 21:52]
Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 11:59 - Oct 19 with 731 viewsLeadbelly

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 21:12 - Oct 18 by noah4x4

My 'report' simply reflects that Humes did change the starting system from our routine 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and until we reverted back to 'Plan A' we were even more awful than usual on any other of our frequent ‘off’ days.

But frankly, I am fed up with some U's fan's always bemoaning the manager's "tactics" when I reckon that the real problem lies with the players that don't/can't convert such theories into practice; and would probably do no better if we were offering them alternative tactical direction. Things are different in the Premier Division, but this is Division One. Sometimes we must simply blame the opposition for being far too good (e.g. Wigan) and on other occasions we must blame ourselves (e.g. Shrewsbury). Then at other times in defeat we are perhaps just a tad unlucky not to have got the first advantage (Bury) and the converse is true when we win (Blades). But we have so far enjoyed four wins over very decent quality opposition (Blades, Bantams, Gills and Swindon) and four draws; whilst those fans that don’t go to away games have witnessed only ONE league defeat since March. So are we really so bad in this brutal Third Tier division where six points (two wins) seperate ninth from twenty second and it features teams with the financial resources of Bradford; Blades; Wigan etc?

Sir Alex Ferguson's managerial win rate for Scotland was merely 30% and yet it was as high as 59% for Manure. Perhaps that means little except to highlight that the quality of one's opposition relative to one's own available resources (including financial) must always be considered (here; no disrespect to Scotland; what a brave effort on the rugby pitch today). At the conclusion of season 2004-05 Phil Parkinson's record was merely 59 points; concluding with five consecutive draws and one win to get us the eight points necessary to get us out of the relegation mire having already had 142 games in charge. But we still gave him the time to complete the job in the next season. Today, at Bradford in 2015-6, Phil has no more wins/draws than Humes (albeit with a game in hand); and he is there under massive pressure from the same fans that adored him when he pulled them out from the bowels of Division Two. I don't understand why; and is loyalty in football simply dead? It is interesting to note that in that same (U’s pre-promotion) season of 2004-5 Division One was graced with Tranmere; Hartlepool; Torquay, Wrexham and Stockport. Perhaps we (and the Bantams fans) should be grateful for something?

However, one has to agree that in some games the U's have been defensively shocking and that we were facing exactly the same problem at this stage last season after a similar pile of injuries to defenders (then to Kent and Magnus); that is until Humes acquired Gorkss and we promptly improved; but that was only until we then lost the big Latvian and floundered once again; until Humes later obtained Khumalo ; and only then did we have the defensive stability required from February to April 2015 to overcome a mountainous points deficit that had already accumulated before Christmas; most under Joe Dunne.

Sadly, this season has been almost a repeat of that with long term injuries arising before the end of October; this time to Brindley; Vincent-Young; Wynter etc. Big George Elokobi has been a popular signing but (IMHO) is not the solution, notably at full back. Maybe a return to fitness for KVY and Michael O'Donahue offers the best hope there, but I suspect that we will yet again have to look to the loan/U21 system/market. But a major difference is that we now have some quality in front of the back four in Gavan; Harriott and Sordell (but the former was absent on Saturday); suffice to have been able to knock in the extra goal needed in some high scoring exciting entertaining affairs. I sincerely believe this season is the turning point.

Norwich City conceded six goals today to (arguably) the worst side in the Premiership yet having scored two away goals (here, I see a parallel with Shrewsbury). I didn’t think that Norwich any more deserved to be on the end of that notable rout than the U's did at Gay Meadow. It is simply the cruel nature of football; that the wheels sometimes come completely off and Delia Smith; Stephen Fry and Hugh Jackman will get over it and so will we (especially if we win on Tuesday).

But short of lacing up his own boots, I am not sure what else Humes can do other than make another emergency loan defensive signing. We have had six managers in a similar number of years. That means six changes of plan; six squads turned over in each new manager's likeness. Yet six years of no "success". Or have we actually been succesful for 17 years given an earlier history of 50 years in DivisionTwo (Four)/Conference? At least we now have some continuity in a major division; albeit that only the early signs of further positive progress remain apparent.

Nobody since Parkinson other than Ward has held the U's managerial opportunity for more than two incomplete seasons and I don't see what benefit a seventh and immediate change of manager will bring at this juncture. At least we do do have some clear direction (e.g. financial stability; Academy II; a common playing style from U13's to first team etc.). But if the clamour to get a new manager does continue, and my voice loses out; can I suggest that we next get a 'player-manager-defender' and a 'player-manager-attacking-assistant'? Then they can kick the ball for the team; which some people obviously expect them to do. Those that still expect managers to be an animated and passionate in the 'Technical Area' have no comprehesion that the sports psychologists now advise otherwise. I played top flight rugby and can testify it is awful and confusing as a player. The worst disruption is over enthusisastic parents at youth games. It's also a safe bet that Northampton fans will also soon envy the benefactor and safe hands that is Robbie Cowling. Rant over.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 21:52]

I think everyone is fed up bemoaning the manager's tactics. If they were effective we wouldn't be moaning.

Almost the entire squad now comprises players coached at U21 level or signed by Humes. I agree 100% that the players must take some responsibility for the awful defending but the fact they can't/won't apply successfully the manager's game plan must suggest a number of problems...wrong game plan, wrong players, wrong manager or, most likely, combination of all three.

When we get it right we are probably a match most of the teams in League 1. That is what makes getting it wrong so regularly so bloody frustrating.

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 12:34 - Oct 19 with 721 viewsLeadbelly

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 17:50 - Oct 18 by Leadbelly

We've been cack at the back all season so let's not suggest 4-4-2 made anything worse. We've conceded more goals, by some distance, than any other team in League 1 playing the preferred club system and Humes and the players aren't learning the lessons.

We are very unlikely to sign any new players so we either follow Humes's preferred option of keep doing the same thing and hope it works eventually or we try something different. Unfortunately i can't see manager or chairman making a change.

Just seen BBC website...worst defensive record in the Football League!

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 13:00 - Oct 19 with 711 viewsAFCMorant

Ah yes, silly me for expressing an opinion. I forgot this is a message board where as long as you don't have a different opinion from that expressed by the little clique who spend all their time massaging each others egos then everything's fine. Seems like any time someone disagrees with the prevailing orthodoxy y'all get your pantyhose in a twist. Well no loss anyway, I'm fed up with reading the babble from the sick bed about the U's making the play offs. I'll be supporting the U's long after Humes has been consigned to the dustbin.
Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 14:06 - Oct 19 with 701 viewsBarsidepete

Wigan 5-0 U's Noah's Report on 13:00 - Oct 19 by AFCMorant

Ah yes, silly me for expressing an opinion. I forgot this is a message board where as long as you don't have a different opinion from that expressed by the little clique who spend all their time massaging each others egos then everything's fine. Seems like any time someone disagrees with the prevailing orthodoxy y'all get your pantyhose in a twist. Well no loss anyway, I'm fed up with reading the babble from the sick bed about the U's making the play offs. I'll be supporting the U's long after Humes has been consigned to the dustbin.

Exactly.

But a few of us are worried.

But it's not as if the U's in the table look horrible. Nothing that a win or two in the next two games wouldn't cure.

The defense needs a wake up call. And if the midfield can't stop the onrush then it doesn't matter who we have as forwards.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024