Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Col U Manager 17:04 - Oct 19 with 1395 viewsburnsieespana

Whilst I do not subscribe to the view that the club would be better if Tony Humes was sacked, as so much talk on this site and the OMB is anti him, I would be very interested to know who would be the "fans favourite" should the position, for whatever reason, become available?
So come on, lets all contribute to this one!
Col U Manager on 17:47 - Oct 19 with 1380 viewspwrightsknees

Joachim LÅ‘w
Col U Manager on 18:24 - Oct 19 with 1368 viewsthrillseeker

Brendan Rogers?

It is hard to comment on an ideal manager for us but the thing I dislike most is the fact RC appoints from within immediately before even seeing what type of applicant applies.

RC should give himself 7-10 days to see who applies as he may be surprised at the quality of candidate. If however after 7-10 days there is no potential quality in applicant then fair enough appoint from within

Brian McDermott could be an option
Col U Manager on 18:44 - Oct 19 with 1358 viewsTheOldOakTree

Col U Manager on 17:47 - Oct 19 by pwrightsknees

Joachim LÅ‘w

Possibly aiming a little high there!

I wouldn't be too fussed with either a name or a new young hopeful (i.e. Parky Mk 2), as long as it was not a cheap internal appointment and it was someone that inspired the missing thousands to come back.

Even if Humes can secure mid table safety or better it's not going to appease the huge number of fans that think RC doesn't give a rats bum about them. It needs a fresh face as manager and RC needs to stop taking PR lessons from Mike Ashley.

In the words of Abraham Lincoln "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" so please stick to playing with your gonads and not speaking about them.

People want entertainment and they don't want to be treated with contempt.

To most of the missing fans talk of an Academy is of no interest. It hasn't produced any superstars and it's not likely to. Poor old Micky Cook and Geoff Harrop ran a very successful youth team and scouting missions without fancy facilities or cash to spend, but they produced/found Lua Lua and Greg Halford, I don't see the academy beating that in a hurry.

Lilleshall was the FA's answer and was going to win the world cup for us, what total bollox. Any young prospect that is remotely talented will sign for one of the numerous Prem academies and the rest of the 92 will feed off their rejects. That is how life works and Col U aren't going to change it. Some good cup runs could make us more money than the academy is likely to make.

Number one priority should be to make fans welcome, put on some entertainment and build our fan base.

We have some of the best players we have ever had but apparently they are not doing the basics!!!!!!!!!!, well FFS get someone who can make them do the basics.
Col U Manager on 19:42 - Oct 19 with 1342 viewsLeadbelly

The current squad, bar Massey, Walker and Eastman, are either players signed by Humes or coached by him through the youth ranks. He has the players he wants within the financial constraints set by the chairman. So why are we so inconsistent? I'll take anyone that can get the most out of what we have because I really don't believe Humes does.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Col U Manager on 11:33 - Oct 20 with 1291 viewsnoah4x4

The sad fact is that nobody with any reputation for success is ever coming to a club that simply hasn't any money to spend to improve the squad's current defensive failings. As Humes has openly said this week; he doesn't have any budget for another defender.

The likes of (say) Brendan Rogers aren’t stupid enough. Yes, it is true that Phil Parkinson went to Bradford when they were struggling in Division Two; but the Bantams are a huge club and at least there he had a budget to spend. But now having spent it; he too is on the back foot. One must perhaps admire Phil Brown at Southend (here; cue more moans about us releasing John White and Ben Coker; but we can't blame Humes for that!). But the fact is that Southend have more money as they enjoy gates that generate 30% more playing budget than we have available under FFP.

The U's have now had six changes of managers in barely more years. We never give anybody enough time to resolve what has now been long term blight. The transfer window system means that it is much more difficult than in past times to develop/change squads without having bucket loads of money. It took Parkinson 187 games to get us promoted; yet in the season before that we needed to draw five consecutive games and gain one win in the final run in simply to escape relegation. Whilst just as disappointed as other U’s fans, I really don't think a seventh change of manager will offer any silver bullet fix.

Humes has now resolved our goal scoring deficiency by some excellent forward and midfield signings in the last transfer window. We have since been hit by unfortunately injuries to our defence (Brindley; Wynter, Vincent Young; Harney etc.) and our lack of depth there has been cruelly exposed. But we are forced to continue down the path of financial prudence by Financial Fair Play; and the Academy is now the only sustainable solution to produce the pipeline of players that we need in future. Frankly, I reckon that if we had played a system of 9-1-0 on Saturday and "parked the ‘bus" versus Wigan we would still have been beaten. It is rubbish to blame everything on the “manager’s tactics” when players simply don’t turn up. Sometimes we are beaten by a vastly better team.

I suppose that we might look to (say) the Conference for a managerial solution; but that route failed at Leeds; and Dave Hockaday is now at Kidderminster! So why take that risk? I say better the devil that we know; albeit that he was an internal appointment. At least we now have some distinct philsophy and a continuity of playing style from under 13’s to First XI. Hence, my view is let’s ride out the storm of this season; and let our youthful assets develop still further. Albeit that they lost yesterday (in the absence of Bonne; Szmodics; Lapslie; Sembie-Ferris etc.; in the squad tonight). I was very impressed with some of our other very young under 21’s versus Cardiff. Full back O'Donahue is making good progress after long term injury, but keep an eye out for defender Joshua Pollard. Josh spent his early academy years at Ipswich before joining Colchester as an Under 15. His performances at centre back quickly earned him Under 16 recognition and then a call-up to the Under 18s, where he played in the Youth Alliance Southern Final victory over Portsmouth; and now he has taken his opportunity in the Under 21’s. He is far too young to be considered for the First XI; but he is (IMHO) in the Frankie Kent mould; hence a centre back that can play proper football as well as defend. Time will eventually heal our squads lack of depth and defensive weakness; but in the meanwhile we simply have to trust in Tony Flynn to mend Brindley, KVY and Brindley as soon as he can. Get BrIndley back (or Vincent Young) and I think we will see a dramatic change in fortune as with a tighter back four, we are not short of goal scoring power, unlike other recent seasons.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2015 11:34]
Col U Manager on 19:18 - Oct 20 with 1256 viewsColukev

Mark Robbins
Col U Manager on 19:45 - Oct 20 with 1253 viewsBarsidepete

A few doom and gloom days don't erase the fact that on any given day the U's can play with anyone.

It's not like TH can get on the pitch as the 12th man.

The players know what they have to do. You can coach them up and they're probably not having pints 15 minutes before kickoff.

Based on early form, this is Jekyll and Hyde. I just don't want to worry after New Year's Day. I'm happy with plain ole survival and no heartaches last month wondering if we stay up. Get points. Get them anywhere.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Col U Manager on 18:18 - Oct 21 with 1217 viewscarruthers

There has to be another Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink out there, and lets face it, the U's have more potential than Burton Albion.
Login to get fewer ads

Col U Manager on 22:53 - Oct 21 with 1171 viewsRSCOSWORTH

If Humes wins as many games as he loses this season then I'm more than happy to stick with him. The few games I've seen us play since he became manager have been some of the best games I've seen at the WHCS. Walsall gave Dean Smith plenty of time and they seem to be doing okay!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024