Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That Christmastime again! 15:22 - Dec 20 with 1684 viewsMoor_Pinot

See what I did there with the username Wessex!!?

Firstly, the compliments of the season to the fine folk on this illustrious and honest messageboard. May your stockings be full and the beer never empty. Three occasional points would be nice too. And in 2016 here's to a calmer more unselfish world.

Well after twelve weeks away sans telephone or computer connection what has happened? It's like last season, the season before it, oh and the season before that all over again. When I put the cat and the lady in the Kangoo we'd won 4 running, now we are bottom and I see we appear to have erm......defensive frailties and no manager. What's gone on?
No...........don't bother, you are all at the games and so I will as ever await your wisdom rather than peddle anything from here.

So..without a manager one of the best defenders I've seen in a U's shirt in 50 years didn't want the job. There's summat not right. I support Mr Cowling and appreciate all his love for our club. I felt last year - and posted the same - that he may have got it wrong with Mr. Humes. His previous job and that of manager were never conspecific and did not transpose - ask Portsmouth, they did the same and had the same result with Afford. However, I'm a rarity in feeling that TH did well Durham, saved us with the Preston result and what I watched was prettier football. I wish him well, maybe in his old role. He did not deserve the abuse he copped either - shame on us. I will support the new man and remain grateful to RC.

I'm not someone who wants to say that a dip into Div 4 will be good for us - it won't.....look at Yeovil. I'm with you again here Durham, we need a manager now to get us out of the mess and once more to keep us in this precious place, so hard earned in the 90s.

And what about over here?
Well, thank you all for your good wishes earlier - this move was a scary thing for me to do. OK I've no mortgage any more and a house with an acre but it's not Essex or even a bit of blighty.

It's 20 degrees today, although there was a day's snow in October when we got here. I'm fed up with the power cuts [most weeks] and have been told by the Wolves fan who's building me my 6th studio that where electricity is concerned France is a 3rd world country. I can believe it. But....now we are connected to a phone line I am beginning to see the potential of somewhere where a beer is around £1.25 and a [good] coffee can be served to you for 85p. Diesel has just gone down to 66p a litre. The Beaujolais Nouveau you were drinking last month is excellent this year and costs me £1.53 a bottle. The people are gentle and kindly so long as you have a go at their lingo and are infinitely preferable to some of the expats I've bumped into. Nothing is too much trouble as long as you don't expect anything from anyone between 12 and 2.30! I'm miles from anywhere mind, the nearest bar [which serves 4 courses with wine at lunchtimes for €13 or about £9] and shops are 5 miles away on twisty roads where the occasional Renault 4 lurches at you in an attempt to get you into a ditch. As a birdwatcher who writes for Birdwatching magazine I don't like the hunt much at weekends but am getting used to it. The Limousin is very beautiful and the autumn colours breathtaking - we have them in Essex of course, but it was the enormity of this big big land which made them memorable. No Essex coast scenery which I miss, indeed, no sea for 150 miles!

And the football locally Pete - you asked a while ago?
Well, EF Aubusson FC look decent, are step 4 standard [AFC Sudbury] with excellent facilities and floodlights but for heaven's sake all home games ko at 8pm on a Sunday! No way. So I like the look of a little side at step 6 [West Bergholt level, Div 1 Ridgeons say] called US Felletin FC, nice stand, good welcome, they ko at 3pm and.............play in blue and white stripes. I'll give them a go first.

Anyway..............enough!
I'm hoping that now I am back to absorb the wisdom of this esteemed board once again - I cannot comment on performance as I cannot see it - that we'll now go on another 4 game winning run. That might give us a fighting chance eh Durham?

I wish the new chap every success and hope to God he knows about defence and motivation so that the confidence rises.

I repeat my very best to you all................

the artist formerly known as:- Somersetbarside, Alderney CUFC & IsleofWightexile......

Up the U's and those who who are in this with em.

Moor Pinot

That Christmastime again! on 20:27 - Dec 20 with 1651 viewsgerry_us

I got it Alderney.
Welcome back Sir; your interesting missive is most welcome in these difficult times. Still, we could be a Chelsea or Man U supporter!
That Christmastime again! on 21:16 - Dec 20 with 1641 viewswessex_exile

Evening Sir - great to hear from you, and your username is simply inspired - love it! Thomas was one of those frustratingly talented footballers that too often failed to live up to his ability - we seem to have a bit of form where those matters are concerned, but to be honest I loved him regardless!

I can't disagree with anything you've said - I always thought, just like Joe Dunne and indeed George before that, that Tony Humes needed more time, but eventually results couldn't sustain that, and I accept that too. Without wishing to be unfair, I wouldn't normally have credited Wayne Brown with the acumen to recognise he needed more time, but fair play to him for doing so - again, the right decision.

If the new man proves to be the fillip we need, all well and good, but if the fillip turns out to be your rejoining our community, then all the better - and if it proves to be so, I'll cover your interweb charges for the rest of the season!

Best wishes to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year.

Love and peace :-)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

That Christmastime again! on 21:47 - Dec 20 with 1636 viewsgerry_us

That Christmastime again! on 21:16 - Dec 20 by wessex_exile

Evening Sir - great to hear from you, and your username is simply inspired - love it! Thomas was one of those frustratingly talented footballers that too often failed to live up to his ability - we seem to have a bit of form where those matters are concerned, but to be honest I loved him regardless!

I can't disagree with anything you've said - I always thought, just like Joe Dunne and indeed George before that, that Tony Humes needed more time, but eventually results couldn't sustain that, and I accept that too. Without wishing to be unfair, I wouldn't normally have credited Wayne Brown with the acumen to recognise he needed more time, but fair play to him for doing so - again, the right decision.

If the new man proves to be the fillip we need, all well and good, but if the fillip turns out to be your rejoining our community, then all the better - and if it proves to be so, I'll cover your interweb charges for the rest of the season!

Best wishes to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year.

Love and peace :-)

Wessex...I was more into the username "wine" connotation.
That Christmastime again! on 21:54 - Dec 20 with 1636 viewsdurham_exile

I totally agree, the Pianult_Noir name is inspired.

Very good to hear from you and pleased that you have settled very well in your new abode.

It would seem that KK will be taking over the reins tomorrow. Last time we had an ex Reading connection we did reasonably well so I am hoping that lightning does strike twice.

Whilst I was not sorry to see TH go after his ill judged remarks and comments against players, supporters et al, I do agree that the PNE game was very impressive and of course largely unexpected.

This season despite one of the best squads for several years we are struggling. It is not just the defence, the goals are drying up as well. Jabo has found his shooting boots at Carlisle, which only adds to the irony. I am hopi ng for a Boxing Day derby win, which with new manager on board I think we will achieve. Equally we are due a decent cup run and the Addicks are beatable.

Anyway, good to hear from you and have a very Merry Christmas.

All the best.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

That Christmastime again! on 19:33 - Dec 22 with 1592 viewsMoor_Pinot

That Christmastime again! on 21:54 - Dec 20 by durham_exile

I totally agree, the Pianult_Noir name is inspired.

Very good to hear from you and pleased that you have settled very well in your new abode.

It would seem that KK will be taking over the reins tomorrow. Last time we had an ex Reading connection we did reasonably well so I am hoping that lightning does strike twice.

Whilst I was not sorry to see TH go after his ill judged remarks and comments against players, supporters et al, I do agree that the PNE game was very impressive and of course largely unexpected.

This season despite one of the best squads for several years we are struggling. It is not just the defence, the goals are drying up as well. Jabo has found his shooting boots at Carlisle, which only adds to the irony. I am hopi ng for a Boxing Day derby win, which with new manager on board I think we will achieve. Equally we are due a decent cup run and the Addicks are beatable.

Anyway, good to hear from you and have a very Merry Christmas.

All the best.

Up the U's

Cheers Durham ; Wessex, Gerry.
Good to be back and now we do have a manager.
I wish him well and those 3 points on 26th will make up no end for having to visit French folk that day without a word of anglais to their names. The wine had better be copious, entirely the opposite of our defence against the Sarfend lot.

Again.........Merry Christmas to the esteemed Usual members.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024