Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Director of Football 17:40 - Mar 1 with 3375 viewsFruitbat

We have appointed one and his name is Humes.

Interesting.
Director of Football on 17:55 - Mar 1 with 2426 viewsLeadbelly

Before the game on Saturday I did hear that Humes was, in effect, on gardening leave and would be returning to the academy at some point. Some truth in the story, even if the position was wrong.

Not sure whether Director of Football counts as a step up from Head of Academy. If it is then it feels like a reward for failure...how very British!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Director of Football on 18:06 - Mar 1 with 2421 viewsLeadbelly

Just read the chairman's statement on the club website. Clearly Tony Humes enjoys God like status chez Cowling. I really don't understand this at all.

I said to friends last weekend I would definitely renew my season ticket. I really question the wisdom of that decision now.

Director of Football on 18:52 - Mar 1 with 2398 viewsgerry_us

Mick Wadsworth Financial Controller
George Elokobi Defence Coach
What next?
Director of Football on 19:00 - Mar 1 with 2397 viewsbwildered

Joe Dunne must be aggrieved with the news considering his previous positions.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Director of Football on 19:34 - Mar 1 with 2379 viewsSector4

Keen has stated that he inherited a squad that was not balanced, now the man who created that squad may have control of transfers. Will Keen stay in these circumstances? Humes back to run the academy would have made sense, director of football is astounding. I fear doing a Tranmere.
Director of Football on 19:37 - Mar 1 with 2378 viewsLeadbelly

"overall control of all footballing matters". The more I think about this the more inexplicable and unpalatable it becomes.

Just when most fans thought things couldn't get any worse they did. In view of his ability to alienate fans does the chairman think this appointment will be well received. Perhaps he really doesn't give a damn if there are any fans attending home games.

Director of Football on 20:25 - Mar 1 with 2360 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:21]
Director of Football on 20:55 - Mar 1 with 2345 viewsthrillseeker

I am truly staggered by this announcement and it is decisions like this that make me want to jack it all in with supporting the club. Unfortunately once CUFC are in your blood we have to grin and bear it.

Been going since 1977 (6 years old) and will continue to do so

Still can't believe we reward the idiot with promotion after he failed miserably.
Login to get fewer ads

Director of Football on 22:24 - Mar 1 with 2315 viewsFruitbat

Humes back and we win. Maybe RC was right all along!
Director of Football on 22:38 - Mar 1 with 2309 viewsLeadbelly

Director of Football on 22:24 - Mar 1 by Fruitbat

Humes back and we win. Maybe RC was right all along!

I know you don't mean that.

Tony Humes will be in charge of all footballing matters...the full horror of this fact has yet to sink in but just think about it. As others have said he created a squad that has been woeful this season, he alienates a large section of the fan base and yet, despite his ineptness, he is handed the reins and told to protect the clubs policies and values.

I am completely unable to see what Cowling sees in him. I am mystified by this appointment.

Director of Football on 09:57 - Mar 2 with 2275 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For all of Humes' shortcomings, and there are more than a few, I thought he actually did a pretty decent job when he took over from Dunne. The team played really well towards the end of last season and got some important results under pressure too. He assembled a squad that gave fans cause for optimism and although we had a rocky start there was a time when we looked like a really good side playing free flowing, attractive, attacking football. He struggled to turn results around when we went on a poor run, as most inexperienced managers do, and he made his position untenable after the comments he made but I believe we'd be in far better position than we are right now had he remained in charge.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Director of Football on 13:41 - Mar 2 with 2248 viewsLeadbelly

Director of Football on 09:57 - Mar 2 by RSCOSWORTH

For all of Humes' shortcomings, and there are more than a few, I thought he actually did a pretty decent job when he took over from Dunne. The team played really well towards the end of last season and got some important results under pressure too. He assembled a squad that gave fans cause for optimism and although we had a rocky start there was a time when we looked like a really good side playing free flowing, attractive, attacking football. He struggled to turn results around when we went on a poor run, as most inexperienced managers do, and he made his position untenable after the comments he made but I believe we'd be in far better position than we are right now had he remained in charge.

We will never know whether our league position would be better had Humes stayed. We certainly had a rocky start and subsequently played some decent football but that didn't last long.

Whether or not he was doing a good job is clearly a matter of opinion but we were on the slide for a while before he left and that has continued. I think the chairman's choice of interim and permanent replacements has played a part in this but some blame must be attached to Humes.

I believe a majority of fans didn't rate him as manager and were pi55ed off with his ill judged comments that preceded his departure so his reappointment to a senior position at the club is never going to be popular. Those who believe Humes is at least partly responsible for the current predicament will, quite unsurprisingly, query the wisdom of appointing him to oversee the efforts of the man given the task of sorting out that very predicament.

This may turn out to be a stroke of genius by the chairman but I think a lot of fans, me included, will need to see plenty of hard evidence that a Director of Football has improved matters, probably even more evidence in the case of Humes.

Director of Football on 15:52 - Mar 2 with 2234 viewsnoah4x4

Can I out some alternative spin on this? I really don’t know as I have no inside track but……

Just suppose that Tony Humes perhaps had a "nervous breakdown" as a result of the horrible and unnecessary extent of fan abuse. Joe Dunne probably did too. Frankly, I thought it was disgraceful at Bradford last night to hear chants of ‘Humes Out' even when the team were winning and busting a gut for us!

Neither Tony nor Joe was ‘sacked’ (nor was Wayne Brown); they resigned by mutual consent from a specific role (e.g. that of First Team Manager) and although Joe departed, I suspect that Tony was possibly put on a three month sabbatical. It was always rumoured that he would be back in some capacity.

Now just suppose that Robbie Cowling has decided that he doesn’t have the time or inclination or skills to ‘hands on’ manage any of the ‘footballing’ side of the business and that he just wants to be the owner and enjoy life as a ‘supporter’. Frankly, and contrary to some people’s beliefs, I don’t think Robbie ever wanted anything else!

Then just suppose that a conclusion has now been reached by all parties concerned that ANY Colchester United First XI Manager (and/or Robbie Cowling) doesn’t have the time to properly manage the under 11 — 15 management; the youth team’s management and the under 21 management, but Kevin Keen (and others before him) accepted the 'Managers' job on that basis; and has since been trying to fulfil such tasks; but it is proving to be too much of a distraction when the First XI demands alone are so great.

Given that there are (at least) 19 qualified coaches in the Academy system needing to be “managed” and also Kevin Keen obviously doesn’t know the hundreds of Colchester United players within the development programme (e.g. below under 21); then the appointment of a Director of Football to manage those workstreams makes eminent sense to me; permitting Kevin Keen to continue to manage and focus ONLY on the most important job; (e.g. the First XI).

Then it makes eminent sense to appoint Tony Humes into that role given that he knows everything that there is to know about the Academy, and behind the scenes and he has proven that he can manage the lesser ranked managers/coaches and the wider Colchester United Player Development system, even if some perceive that he struggled with First XI management and communications.

What strikes me is that nowhere has there been any announcement that Kevin Keen will report to the Director of Football. That is just an assumption being made by some fans. Nowhere has there been any announcement that Tony Humes will have any role in managing the First XI, or in picking the team or involvement tactics (other than perhaps an advisory role like John Ward at Walsall). I suspect that given the (relegation) challenges he is facing Kevin Keen will probably be delighted that he doesn’t have to manage the entire ‘footballing’ side of things. Maybe it suits everybody? If Keen stays the course, then it obviously does.

This appointment may hence be PURE genius.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2016 15:53]
Director of Football on 16:26 - Mar 2 with 2221 viewsgerry_us

Director of Football on 15:52 - Mar 2 by noah4x4

Can I out some alternative spin on this? I really don’t know as I have no inside track but……

Just suppose that Tony Humes perhaps had a "nervous breakdown" as a result of the horrible and unnecessary extent of fan abuse. Joe Dunne probably did too. Frankly, I thought it was disgraceful at Bradford last night to hear chants of ‘Humes Out' even when the team were winning and busting a gut for us!

Neither Tony nor Joe was ‘sacked’ (nor was Wayne Brown); they resigned by mutual consent from a specific role (e.g. that of First Team Manager) and although Joe departed, I suspect that Tony was possibly put on a three month sabbatical. It was always rumoured that he would be back in some capacity.

Now just suppose that Robbie Cowling has decided that he doesn’t have the time or inclination or skills to ‘hands on’ manage any of the ‘footballing’ side of the business and that he just wants to be the owner and enjoy life as a ‘supporter’. Frankly, and contrary to some people’s beliefs, I don’t think Robbie ever wanted anything else!

Then just suppose that a conclusion has now been reached by all parties concerned that ANY Colchester United First XI Manager (and/or Robbie Cowling) doesn’t have the time to properly manage the under 11 — 15 management; the youth team’s management and the under 21 management, but Kevin Keen (and others before him) accepted the 'Managers' job on that basis; and has since been trying to fulfil such tasks; but it is proving to be too much of a distraction when the First XI demands alone are so great.

Given that there are (at least) 19 qualified coaches in the Academy system needing to be “managed” and also Kevin Keen obviously doesn’t know the hundreds of Colchester United players within the development programme (e.g. below under 21); then the appointment of a Director of Football to manage those workstreams makes eminent sense to me; permitting Kevin Keen to continue to manage and focus ONLY on the most important job; (e.g. the First XI).

Then it makes eminent sense to appoint Tony Humes into that role given that he knows everything that there is to know about the Academy, and behind the scenes and he has proven that he can manage the lesser ranked managers/coaches and the wider Colchester United Player Development system, even if some perceive that he struggled with First XI management and communications.

What strikes me is that nowhere has there been any announcement that Kevin Keen will report to the Director of Football. That is just an assumption being made by some fans. Nowhere has there been any announcement that Tony Humes will have any role in managing the First XI, or in picking the team or involvement tactics (other than perhaps an advisory role like John Ward at Walsall). I suspect that given the (relegation) challenges he is facing Kevin Keen will probably be delighted that he doesn’t have to manage the entire ‘footballing’ side of things. Maybe it suits everybody? If Keen stays the course, then it obviously does.

A well reasoned analogy Noah and if it turns out to be the case then I believe you have listed all the plus points of the appointment.
I have never, and will never understand the way some "supporters" behave and whilst it is the right of every paying support to have a moan occasionally some of our traveling friends take it to the N'th degree. You know who you are. Stop it.
Director of Football on 16:49 - Mar 2 with 2218 viewsMoor_Pinot

Hear hear!

And thankyou Noah as I feel that to speak in a positive tone when we are in dire trouble but also in the dark about Humes is an attractive response. I also felt that as a fan I didn't have the 'big picture'. I also reflected upon Dunne's going and that of Humes and wondered if simple precautions on health [rather than a NB] were being responsibly taken by the club.
The one thing that gets me is the nasty side of our [all clubs?] supporters. It has always shocked me - small element maybe but small packages detonate.

So, well said and we may learn more in time.
Up the constantly surprising U's..

Moor Pinot

Director of Football on 18:05 - Mar 2 with 2198 viewsLeadbelly

Director of Football on 15:52 - Mar 2 by noah4x4

Not buying the "nervous breakdown", unless you do have proof. You only have to attend one football match to realise how odious some people can be but the abuse aimed at Dunne and Humes is as nothing, and I do mean nothing, compared with what I've heard when attending Leeds games(both by Leeds fans and the opposition fans). If either man suffered a nervous breakdown as a result of the abuse they suffered whilst manager of Colchester United I would suggest that;

a) neither has any long term future in football
b) Robbie Cowling made some serious errors of judgement in respect of their character
c) They should be suing the club for constructive dismissal or something

Let's be honest, both left because they weren't up to the job. I suspect genuine mutual consent is a rare commodity, however frequently it is cited. The chairman put them in position and I believe he said of Humes "perhaps I set him up to fail". Rather than sacking someone "mutual consent", in theory, leaves honour intact for all involved.

Obviously the chairman sees something in Humes that means he is prepared to make a decision that won't be popular with a lot of fans. What that something is I don't know but, as I said earlier, this may be a stroke of genius. Returning to the academy is one thing, returning as DoF is very different and it still amazes me, 24 hours later.

Director of Football on 18:49 - Mar 2 with 2189 viewswessex_exile

Just on the subject of salary (point made above), as Tony Humes has been on, for all intents and purposes, extended sick leave, if we are paying out more than we were already for the DoF role, I doubt it's very much - certainly not the sort of wedge that would cover two half decent centre halfs.

One thing further to add, our focus on Tony Humes covers less than one year in a role he wasn't really equipped for, but in which he still managed to pull off the great escape last season with a seriously impressive turn of form in the later stages (and in my opinion under a wholly unacceptable level of vitriolic abuse - have a look on the OMB or facebook right now). We shouldn't also forget that he has many years of equally impressive success at Colchester United before that, success (and knowledge) that we discard lightly at our peril. I don't know if this role will fit better with Tony Humes' abilities and expertise, but I'm perfectly happy to give it a go for now - let's face it, it can't put us in a worse position right now...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Director of Football on 21:32 - Mar 2 with 2161 viewsSector4

Director of Football on 18:05 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Not buying the "nervous breakdown", unless you do have proof. You only have to attend one football match to realise how odious some people can be but the abuse aimed at Dunne and Humes is as nothing, and I do mean nothing, compared with what I've heard when attending Leeds games(both by Leeds fans and the opposition fans). If either man suffered a nervous breakdown as a result of the abuse they suffered whilst manager of Colchester United I would suggest that;

a) neither has any long term future in football
b) Robbie Cowling made some serious errors of judgement in respect of their character
c) They should be suing the club for constructive dismissal or something

Let's be honest, both left because they weren't up to the job. I suspect genuine mutual consent is a rare commodity, however frequently it is cited. The chairman put them in position and I believe he said of Humes "perhaps I set him up to fail". Rather than sacking someone "mutual consent", in theory, leaves honour intact for all involved.

Obviously the chairman sees something in Humes that means he is prepared to make a decision that won't be popular with a lot of fans. What that something is I don't know but, as I said earlier, this may be a stroke of genius. Returning to the academy is one thing, returning as DoF is very different and it still amazes me, 24 hours later.

Quite agree. I have heard far, far worse watching Wolves and also conference football. I think many would see the sense of an academy appointment, it is the title director of football and the phrase in charge of ALL football matters that causes concern.
Director of Football on 12:35 - Mar 3 with 2124 viewsnoah4x4

...and here is Keen's response;

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/14315621.Humes__appointment_is_a_good_move_f

Exactly as I predicted. Acknowledgement that;
a) Keen is THE First XI Manager
b) It's too big a job for the First XI Manager to manage all the footballing matters.
c) Keen thinks Tony is the ideal man (I do too)

The ratio of 19 employed coaches reporting into the single First XI Manager (or Cowling) was always bonkers. Tony Humes might not be the world's most gifted with a microphone, but he can do that job, which frees up Keen to focus only on the First XI. Note how Keen draws a parallel with similar "footballing" management practices at Liverpool and I don't hear Klopp complaining. Also it is clear from this that contrary to some fan promulgated myths, Cowling does not want to be 'hands on' as regards managing the Team or Academy. Now there is a Director of Football, with assistant; and a Manager with assistant.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 12:38]
Director of Football on 13:15 - Mar 3 with 2116 viewsLeadbelly

Director of Football on 12:35 - Mar 3 by noah4x4

...and here is Keen's response;

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/14315621.Humes__appointment_is_a_good_move_f

Exactly as I predicted. Acknowledgement that;
a) Keen is THE First XI Manager
b) It's too big a job for the First XI Manager to manage all the footballing matters.
c) Keen thinks Tony is the ideal man (I do too)

The ratio of 19 employed coaches reporting into the single First XI Manager (or Cowling) was always bonkers. Tony Humes might not be the world's most gifted with a microphone, but he can do that job, which frees up Keen to focus only on the First XI. Note how Keen draws a parallel with similar "footballing" management practices at Liverpool and I don't hear Klopp complaining. Also it is clear from this that contrary to some fan promulgated myths, Cowling does not want to be 'hands on' as regards managing the Team or Academy. Now there is a Director of Football, with assistant; and a Manager with assistant.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 12:38]

You know that is exactly what Robbie "hands on" Cowling told him to say!

Director of Football (n/t) on 15:03 - Mar 3 with 2108 viewsTheOldOakTree

Director of Football on 13:15 - Mar 3 by Leadbelly

You know that is exactly what Robbie "hands on" Cowling told him to say!

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:23]
Director of Football on 16:15 - Mar 3 with 2089 viewsLeadbelly

Director of Football (n/t) on 15:03 - Mar 3 by TheOldOakTree

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Makes interesting reading

Director of Football on 16:22 - Mar 3 with 2082 viewswessex_exile

Director of Football on 16:15 - Mar 3 by Leadbelly

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Makes interesting reading

It actually does, very informative about what a wealthy owner can (and can't) do where turnover is concerned. One thing I'm confused on though (actually there are lots of things, but...), where's the reference to "19 coaches" coming from? Can't see anything in the Gazette article?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Director of Football (n/t) on 16:45 - Mar 3 with 2081 viewsTheOldOakTree

Director of Football on 16:22 - Mar 3 by wessex_exile

It actually does, very informative about what a wealthy owner can (and can't) do where turnover is concerned. One thing I'm confused on though (actually there are lots of things, but...), where's the reference to "19 coaches" coming from? Can't see anything in the Gazette article?

Director of Football on 16:47 - Mar 3 with 2079 viewsnoah4x4

Why should Robbie Cowling DONATE a single penny more for OUR pleasure when many fans do nothing but moan about him and/or abuse him and/or criticise his decisions and appointments? Fair enough where the latter of these three is constructive criticism, but far too many overstep the mark and make it deeply personal.

I am sure that Cowling is firstly a fan and nobody will convince me he is any less disappointed than we that things have not gone as well as hoped. Secondly, he is an investor that is not seeing any return on his previous capital outlay. So why should he be stupid enough to GIFT away even more money? We hence also won't see any new investor as the 'reward to risk' ratio isn't sufficient; whilst the verbal abuse horrible. So chanting 'Cowling out' achieves nothing except further discourage him from 'donating'. This is not like at other ailing clubs where owners have drained the club of money. Here, there has been none available to milk; the flow has been in reverse; and we should be grateful to have an owner that has been as patient as we to await success and see it diminish.

Given that 80% of our previous history has been in even lower divisions; these past dozen or so years have (arguably) been the 'glory years'; punching above our weight; beating Ipswich in the Championship; Norwich 1-7 etc. I really think it is time to bite the bullet; accept relegation (if that is our destiny; not given up hope yet) and get on with life in a new era. Frankly, I will be happy to smell the roses at Accrington Stanley. I have never been there before and as St Augustine said "The world is a book, and those that don't travel (especially to away games) read only one page".

I have enjoyed my trips to Bramall Lane and Bradford to sit amongst 16,000 +; but will equally enjoy visiting new clubs with gates similar to our own where we have far more likelihood of winning; but wasn't it good when we beat both the Blades and Bradford; and sad but expected when we ran into Wigan (still enjoying Premier League Parachute payments!) and ghastly when we were downed by the Shrews. I love my football!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024