Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on the Cov game 03:48 - Mar 30 with 1900 viewsGabriel

U's fans,

Written up some thoughts on your 1-0 win at Coventry - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/massey-winner-ends-coventrys-play-off-hopes/

Thought you looked bright early on and defended the lead well. Reckon you've become stronger at the back since Nicky Shorey and Leo Chambers have come in?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season.
Thoughts on the Cov game on 06:52 - Mar 30 with 1883 viewswessex_exile

Excellent report - well done sir!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:23 - Mar 30 with 1861 viewsdurham_exile

Full marks Gabriel for an impartial view.

Frankly I dont think that Parish received as much credit for that penalty save as he should.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:42 - Mar 30 with 1858 viewsgerry_us

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:23 - Mar 30 by durham_exile

Full marks Gabriel for an impartial view.

Frankly I dont think that Parish received as much credit for that penalty save as he should.

Up the U's

Cant argue with any of that Gabriel.
I thought Parish had a very good game and he looks more confident without big George in his six yard box, but then again I have always thought he was a decent goalie rather let down by a weak defence. Eastman was pretty solid at the back as usual and we always look better when he is at the heart of the defence. All together a thoroughly satisfactory performance and the result we deserved.
Even...even the Coventry guys were accepting that we "probably" deserved it. Wow, such praise.
This new found level of performance bugs me in that five months earlier and we would have been vying for promotion. Still long odds on avoiding the drop but making the back end of the season interesting.
And a word of congratulations for the faithful. You could be well heard around the stadium. For my part I felt it best to remain "schtum" and leave quietly.
Thoughts on the Cov game on 11:01 - Mar 30 with 1846 viewsGabriel

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:42 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

I thought Parish had a very good game and he looks more confident without big George in his six yard box, but then again I have always thought he was a decent goalie rather let down by a weak defence. Eastman was pretty solid at the back as usual and we always look better when he is at the heart of the defence. All together a thoroughly satisfactory performance and the result we deserved.
Even...even the Coventry guys were accepting that we "probably" deserved it. Wow, such praise.
This new found level of performance bugs me in that five months earlier and we would have been vying for promotion. Still long odds on avoiding the drop but making the back end of the season interesting.
And a word of congratulations for the faithful. You could be well heard around the stadium. For my part I felt it best to remain "schtum" and leave quietly.

Cheers lads. Didn't think Parish was tested that much apart from the penalty save. Agree Eastman played well, his block on Murphy was superb.
Thoughts on the Cov game on 20:27 - Mar 30 with 1789 viewswessex_exile

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:42 - Mar 30 by gerry_us

My Mum would look more confident without big George in the six yard box - I agree though, with our goals conceded the spotlight inevitably falls on the 'keeper, but it's difficult to prove yourself when our defenders are handing out more goal-scoring chances than a school janitor does sweets at Sports Day...

Up the U's

Thoughts on the Cov game on 12:03 - Mar 31 with 1743 viewsMaidstoneU

I think the performances and results in the last two games just show what potential this team could have under KK.

KK is starting to build trust with the fanbase and I believe he would still be the man to bring the team back if they went down to League Two.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2016 13:01]
Thoughts on the Cov game on 18:32 - Mar 31 with 1698 viewsnoah4x4

Think the above emphasis on calamity Elokobi for our woes is spot on.

Big George's many errors undermined both Frankie Kent and Eastman's confidence. It needed Chambers (like Gorrks and Khumalo) to stabilise the ship and now he is injured Kent and Eastman are once again surefooted.

Is it any coincidence that they are finding form when Tony Humes is back on the scene? Might it be that Tony is taking a huge amount of workload off Kevin Keen so allowing him to focus ONLY on the First XI? Managing 19 coaches from under 11 to under 21 and First Team was always too ambitious for a single 'team manager'. Too late perhaps, but sensible.
Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:16 - Apr 1 with 1665 views87mint

great report mate. V informed
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on the Cov game on 16:10 - Apr 1 with 1643 viewsBarsidepete

Terrific writing, Gabriel.

This new one for April Fool's Day is quality too. http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2016/sunderland-v-west-brom-the-clash-of-the-disc

Wow, you write a lot. No days off, huh?

From the home page: "Welcome to The Football Lab.

The aim of this site is to provide regular insight, opinion and in-depth analysis on every club in the top 4 leagues of English football. Set up in August 2014, it is run solely by Gabriel Sutton, who you can find on Twitter @_FootbalLab

If you have any comments, get in touch via the Contact page."

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Thoughts on the Cov game on 00:20 - Apr 2 with 1603 viewsBarsidepete

I went to his Twitter site @_FootbalLab ...

Yes, type the whole thing with the early underscore ... @_FootbalLab ... Gabriel Sutton looks to be 17 or 18 in his profile pic.

He notes he's visited 69 of 92 grounds.

Gabriel's site: http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/

I'm now following him on Twitter. I smell it. He's going to become massive and I mean any top paper in the country. He is good and by good I mean great. I hope he contributes more on The U'sual.

Wow. You should see his writing on his website.

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:04 - Apr 2 with 1584 viewsnoah4x4

Having now watched the TV replay multiple times I am convinced that Elliott Lee dribbled the ball out of play (for a goal kick) before passing for Gavin Massey to tap in the winner. Yet in the ground that night nobody had that perception, not even Coventry fans. Is it just my eyesight, or do others agree?

That end of the ground was completely empty; so no 'shout' of 'out' from the crowd. The linesman was behind play, and the referee unsighted. Also no complaints from Coventry. But it's about time fortune favoured us. Then at the other end our loud fan 'appeals' won us a couple of goal kicks that should have been corners and a couple of throws in a defensive area also wrongly went our way too.

"Nobody likes Millwall". Let's hope we get a favourable referee and linesman today!
Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:28 - Apr 2 with 1579 viewswessex_exile

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:04 - Apr 2 by noah4x4

Having now watched the TV replay multiple times I am convinced that Elliott Lee dribbled the ball out of play (for a goal kick) before passing for Gavin Massey to tap in the winner. Yet in the ground that night nobody had that perception, not even Coventry fans. Is it just my eyesight, or do others agree?

That end of the ground was completely empty; so no 'shout' of 'out' from the crowd. The linesman was behind play, and the referee unsighted. Also no complaints from Coventry. But it's about time fortune favoured us. Then at the other end our loud fan 'appeals' won us a couple of goal kicks that should have been corners and a couple of throws in a defensive area also wrongly went our way too.

"Nobody likes Millwall". Let's hope we get a favourable referee and linesman today!

The U's Player commentary team were all convinced it had gone out, but like you agreed it was about time we had luck run our way for once.

Up the U's

Thoughts on the Cov game on 12:59 - Apr 2 with 1553 viewsBarsidepete

Thoughts on the Cov game on 09:28 - Apr 2 by wessex_exile

The U's Player commentary team were all convinced it had gone out, but like you agreed it was about time we had luck run our way for once.

Gabriel Sutton is a skilled writer. I've looked him up on his twitter @_FootbalLab, ...his TheFootbalLab.co.uk...

He writes. Looks like he is a young'un. He has some serious skills. Not going out on a limb. He could be one of the great sport peeps in the next 4-5 decades.

He should be writing for the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the NY Times.

I'm going to try and get him to post once or twice a month here. This nutter --and 87Mint-- are what makes this site so weird.

We get real writers here. Noah, Durham, Wessex, Lead, Maidstone, Mint, Bwildered, Daniel.. I could go on. Jones, Kev, Sector...Mick

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024