Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone help? 22:08 - Sep 13 with 9335 viewssully49

Can anyone help my mate from Leeds asked me why is Wind Street known as Wine Street?

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Does anyone help? on 22:13 - Sep 13 with 5971 viewsLohengrin

Because it's not "Wind" as in gust of, rather it's "Wind" as in meander.

Same spelling, both are nouns, but have different meaning entirely.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Does anyone help? on 22:13 - Sep 13 with 5971 viewsexiledclaseboy

Because people are mostly stupid.

Poll: Tory leader

Does anyone help? on 22:16 - Sep 13 with 5951 viewsDarran

F*cking hell.

One of the best OPs on any forum ever.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Does anyone help? on 23:10 - Sep 13 with 5884 viewssully49

Interesting as every image or description I recall is of a market street that was much wider than today and as straight as is today. Archives tomorrow I think. Thanks guys.

Does anyone help? on 23:12 - Sep 13 with 5877 viewsmonmouth

Does anyone help? on 23:10 - Sep 13 by sully49

Interesting as every image or description I recall is of a market street that was much wider than today and as straight as is today. Archives tomorrow I think. Thanks guys.

What?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Does anyone help? on 23:17 - Sep 13 with 5855 viewsBanosswan

Does anyone help? on 22:13 - Sep 13 by Lohengrin

Because it's not "Wind" as in gust of, rather it's "Wind" as in meander.

Same spelling, both are nouns, but have different meaning entirely.

It's wind blow, not the other one.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Does anyone help? on 23:24 - Sep 13 with 5845 viewssully49

Does anyone help? on 23:12 - Sep 13 by monmouth

What?

I believe to my knowledge that Wind Street has always been a straight road, and not as meander implies, if I'm wrong I'll find out.

Does anyone help? on 23:29 - Sep 13 with 5842 viewslondonlisa2001

The pronunciation seems to have changed at some point as the Welsh name 'Stryd Y Gwynt' suggests that it used to be wind as in a gust of rather than as pronounced today.

The long straight road suggests this as well as you can imagine (it being one of the original medieval streets in Swansea) that it would have been like a wind tunnel with the winds blowing off the sea. Interesting stuff. Or at least, I think that type of history is interesting...
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone help? on 23:48 - Sep 13 with 5807 viewsmonmouth

Does anyone help? on 23:24 - Sep 13 by sully49

I believe to my knowledge that Wind Street has always been a straight road, and not as meander implies, if I'm wrong I'll find out.

Ah right, got you.

Does anyone help? on 23:56 - Sep 13 with 5781 viewssully49

Does anyone help? on 23:29 - Sep 13 by londonlisa2001

The pronunciation seems to have changed at some point as the Welsh name 'Stryd Y Gwynt' suggests that it used to be wind as in a gust of rather than as pronounced today.

The long straight road suggests this as well as you can imagine (it being one of the original medieval streets in Swansea) that it would have been like a wind tunnel with the winds blowing off the sea. Interesting stuff. Or at least, I think that type of history is interesting...

Thanks Lisa that start to make a lot more sense now.
It is a facinating subject and shows how little, as individuals, we actually know about our rich heritage and beautiful City. So much has changed, and continues to do so, in my lifetime (1960 vintage) that it is basically a much different Town. We desperately need regeneration but we loose so much to an untold history and we are what we were, if that makes and sense? I lovingly remember talking to my Nan about her life and the tales she used to say about her life and I wonder what she would say now.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2016 0:04]

Does anyone help? on 23:59 - Sep 13 with 5770 viewsHighjack

I once studied the 1901 census of Wind street (don't ask why) and it was mainly a street full of banks, with the staff living and working in the offices and apartments above.

Think it largely escaped the bombings during the blitz. Doubt the people living there then would approve of what it's become.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does anyone help? on 00:17 - Sep 14 with 5742 viewssully49

I'd like to see more images and general information on our 114 year history. On the public concourses and bars. How we started, past players, vetch alterations, past glories and so on. Who can I ask?

Does anyone help? on 00:19 - Sep 14 with 5741 viewsHighjack

Does anyone help? on 00:17 - Sep 14 by sully49

I'd like to see more images and general information on our 114 year history. On the public concourses and bars. How we started, past players, vetch alterations, past glories and so on. Who can I ask?

We have murals of Ian Craney and Kevin Amankwaah.

What more do you want?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does anyone help? on 07:33 - Sep 14 with 5630 viewsmonmouth

This won't help, but I asked my father this question when I was a kid and he replied:

"Being kind, it sounds a bind, but I can find it in my mind to call it wind". Obviously, given that it made me want to punch him, I immediately lost any interest.

Does anyone help? on 08:23 - Sep 14 with 5570 viewsBanosswan

Does anyone help? on 23:59 - Sep 13 by Highjack

I once studied the 1901 census of Wind street (don't ask why) and it was mainly a street full of banks, with the staff living and working in the offices and apartments above.

Think it largely escaped the bombings during the blitz. Doubt the people living there then would approve of what it's become.

Why?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Does anyone help? on 08:44 - Sep 14 with 5548 viewsDevz00

Does anyone help? on 00:17 - Sep 14 by sully49

I think we all agree that the grey concrete interior is a bit drab. To get it to look right you'd need a recognised design agency for a job that big, realistically. It would cost a lot and the club probably don't care enough to pay for something like that.

Not sure if it's something the trust would want to hear about?

I remember when Brighton moved into their new ground, I was reading an article on it in one of my design magazines. It looked awesome! Lots of graphical elements, historical stuff and fan art etc. It tied together really nicely anyway. But they had a brand new build and had the design agency involved from the start I imagine.

The pics in this article aren't the best, the published version was a lot more visual, but there's a bit of a write-up here -

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/brightons-new-home-ground/

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Does anyone help? on 09:42 - Sep 14 with 5513 viewsfather_jack

any muppet who thinks its wine because of the bars there needs a good hard kick.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Does anyone help? on 10:11 - Sep 14 with 5497 viewsperchrockjack

Wind street was the business centre of Swansea with all the main banks having presence .Class.

Chuck in the estimable Sidney Heath shop , Caer St and a full in bloom Castle Gardens ,people might see my point about how the city has gone down as Wind St was anything but the cess pit it's become.

It led on to high street where we once had department stores of quality in lewis Lewis and a hotel like the sadly lamented Mackworth.

Off ya go

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Does anyone help? on 10:50 - Sep 14 with 5448 viewsLord_Bony

How the feck is it a cesspit then?

Its the night entertainment centre of Swansea,most towns and cities have a designated zone for this. The bars and restraunts are superb for a night out on the town...all within walking distance...and it is well policed on the weekend evenings so no incidents really as it is well controlled.

I ve spent many a great night there over the last 35 years of so especially the live bands and huge cavernous pubs and clubs make it a superb asset to Swansea. If thats not peoples taste then fine, but leave the ones that enjoy a night out in Wind Street well alone.

I love the place.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Does anyone help? on 10:52 - Sep 14 with 5436 viewsDarran

Does anyone help? on 10:50 - Sep 14 by Lord_Bony

How the feck is it a cesspit then?

Its the night entertainment centre of Swansea,most towns and cities have a designated zone for this. The bars and restraunts are superb for a night out on the town...all within walking distance...and it is well policed on the weekend evenings so no incidents really as it is well controlled.

I ve spent many a great night there over the last 35 years of so especially the live bands and huge cavernous pubs and clubs make it a superb asset to Swansea. If thats not peoples taste then fine, but leave the ones that enjoy a night out in Wind Street well alone.

I love the place.

35 years?

Does anyone help? on 10:54 - Sep 14 with 5435 viewsLord_Bony

Does anyone help? on 10:52 - Sep 14 by Darran

35 years?

Make it 36..been drinking there since 1980.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Does anyone help? on 10:57 - Sep 14 with 5423 viewsDarran

Does anyone help? on 10:54 - Sep 14 by Lord_Bony

Where was your favourite Wind St establishment 36 years ago then?

Does anyone help? on 10:59 - Sep 14 with 5425 viewsmonmouth

Does anyone help? on 10:54 - Sep 14 by Lord_Bony

Some seem to forget that it was never the most gentile of places. I loved the Duke, Cornish and the Coach and Horses, but it was hardly Mayfair. What was the pub right at the bottom? Rough as ferk, nearly had my eye taken out by a flying glass in the mid 70s. Was it the Burroughs? Or am I just getting senile?

Does anyone help? on 11:01 - Sep 14 with 5415 viewsDarran

Does anyone help? on 10:59 - Sep 14 by monmouth

Some seem to forget that it was never the most gentile of places. I loved the Duke, Cornish and the Coach and Horses, but it was hardly Mayfair. What was the pub right at the bottom? Rough as ferk, nearly had my eye taken out by a flying glass in the mid 70s. Was it the Burroughs? Or am I just getting senile?

That's the point it's still rough as f*ck but in a different way.

Bony probably saw Aerosmith down there.

Does anyone help? on 11:01 - Sep 14 with 5421 viewsjack247

Does anyone help? on 10:11 - Sep 14 by perchrockjack

Wind street was the business centre of Swansea with all the main banks having presence .Class.

Chuck in the estimable Sidney Heath shop , Caer St and a full in bloom Castle Gardens ,people might see my point about how the city has gone down as Wind St was anything but the cess pit it's become.

It led on to high street where we once had department stores of quality in lewis Lewis and a hotel like the sadly lamented Mackworth.

Off ya go

What did the SA1 development look like at the time? Full of boutique bars, cafes and restaurants I bet?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024