Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS 11:35 - Oct 22 with 1269 viewsdurham_exile

JM must prepare his charges for the visit of Jim Bentley’s Morecambe Shrimps this weekend.

The mission is a simple one. We simply must win.

No messing about:

Walker

Brindley Eastman Prosser Wynter

Szmodics Slater Guthrie

Sembie-Ferris Johnstone Bonne

Subs:

Bransgrove, Vincent-Young, Porter, Drey, Wright, Fosu, Kamara

Injuries continue to mount with the latest casualty Kinsella likely to be out for three months. He joins Dickenson, Garvan, Loft, Lapslie and Briggs, all of whom are long term absentees.

After the second half attacking intent at Donny Rovers, I hope that JM plays the same trio up front today.

Anyway, enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 17:53 - Oct 22 with 1241 viewsLeadbelly

We played 4-4-2 at last and it looked so much better going forward. Unfortunately nothing changed at the back with Eastman gifting them the first goal and Walker, with as bad a piece of ball handling as you'll ever see, gave them the second.

Three points should have been in the bag but we ended up with just the one due to two moments of pisspoor defensive work. Had we have been able to put a decent ball into the box instead of straight into the Morecambe 'keeper's hands we could still have won this game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 18:43 - Oct 22 with 1228 viewsFruitbat

It beggars belief that we can't find someone in our squad who can actually deliver a set piece ball that isn't either woefully over hit or straight down the keepers throat. How hard can it be?
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 11:50 - Oct 23 with 1168 viewsnoah4x4

I thought after the first ten minutes that created a false dawn for home fans Morecambe were the best side to visit WHCS this season. Yes, we only secured a point, but a month ago this is a game we would have lost. I perceive distinct progress at Carlisle, Donny, and now this having been dragged down to the shabby levels of Newport by a tactical /selection miscalculation and opposition brutal thuggery, a tactic mimicked by Morecambe, and not regulated by pathetic refereeing. but this time we were more robust simply by not selecting Fosu and Guthrie and using them as impact players off the bench. 4-4-2 with a first start for the Porter/Johnston duo also proved positive.

It was very fortunate Walker saved what was a shocking penalty decision and poorly taken penalty. Then it was very unfortunate that Walkers handling let us down. Frankly, I thought he made a number of high catches with a too glib casualness, but did command his area better then in recent weeks. That apart, I thought it was a good performance and a response to the critics that say we to often "try to walk the ball into the net". But 20 shots, half on target might enhance entertainment, but it takes remarkable power and accuracy to score from 30 yards. Winning teams usually do appear to walk the ball into the net, and whilst I applaud our greater attacking prowess (4-4-2), I feel greater composure would have been desirable even if that meant fewer shots and lesser entertainment but a better result.

From our lowest point (relegation) we have no right to expect instant success. But we remain only three points off the playoffs. At 2-1 yesterday that margin was one point. I dont recall witnessing a league so tight. Let's remember the example if Norwich and Saints in Division One. Bottom in November, then automatic promotion in May. I don't expect that, but when Lapslie, Dickenson and Garvan recover I do expect us to be competing with the best in this division. After next week, we have a sequence of more winnable fixtures. I think we, for once, might enjoy our Xmas and enter 2017 with new positivity.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 16:44 - Oct 23 with 1128 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 11:50 - Oct 23 by noah4x4

I thought after the first ten minutes that created a false dawn for home fans Morecambe were the best side to visit WHCS this season. Yes, we only secured a point, but a month ago this is a game we would have lost. I perceive distinct progress at Carlisle, Donny, and now this having been dragged down to the shabby levels of Newport by a tactical /selection miscalculation and opposition brutal thuggery, a tactic mimicked by Morecambe, and not regulated by pathetic refereeing. but this time we were more robust simply by not selecting Fosu and Guthrie and using them as impact players off the bench. 4-4-2 with a first start for the Porter/Johnston duo also proved positive.

It was very fortunate Walker saved what was a shocking penalty decision and poorly taken penalty. Then it was very unfortunate that Walkers handling let us down. Frankly, I thought he made a number of high catches with a too glib casualness, but did command his area better then in recent weeks. That apart, I thought it was a good performance and a response to the critics that say we to often "try to walk the ball into the net". But 20 shots, half on target might enhance entertainment, but it takes remarkable power and accuracy to score from 30 yards. Winning teams usually do appear to walk the ball into the net, and whilst I applaud our greater attacking prowess (4-4-2), I feel greater composure would have been desirable even if that meant fewer shots and lesser entertainment but a better result.

From our lowest point (relegation) we have no right to expect instant success. But we remain only three points off the playoffs. At 2-1 yesterday that margin was one point. I dont recall witnessing a league so tight. Let's remember the example if Norwich and Saints in Division One. Bottom in November, then automatic promotion in May. I don't expect that, but when Lapslie, Dickenson and Garvan recover I do expect us to be competing with the best in this division. After next week, we have a sequence of more winnable fixtures. I think we, for once, might enjoy our Xmas and enter 2017 with new positivity.

Noah the problem is that Dickenson, Lapslie, Garvan, Loft, Briggs are all out for months not weeks. JM must use the depleted squad that he has.

What is alarming is failing to win football matches. Incredibly I think we will win at home Park but we need a donny rovers second half performance with decent attacking play.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 13:13 - Oct 24 with 1056 viewsBlueStripes

"After next week, we have a sequence of more winnable fixtures. I think we, for once, might enjoy our Xmas and enter 2017 with new positivity."

A bit like the home games against Exeter and Newport then!
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 10:19 - Oct 25 with 1005 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 11:50 - Oct 23 by noah4x4

Thank you Noah4x4 - genuinely.

I am exiled and rely on you and Durham, Leadbelly and Wessex.
Your post encourages me although I respect Leadbelly's alternatives on another thread that is current too. We shall see. I have my reservations and concerns but without first and currency I cannot pay out only listen.

At this distance I look forward to fixtures even more than in my past and from here it is easy to feel a lack of progression.
Stating obvious things, we've lost half our games and lost twice as many as we've won and we still ship goals too easily. The loyal 3500 is now the loyal 2750. We still have novice management and many injuries. The mix appears unconvincing....SO I am relieved at your much more optimistic post and can see how if logic applies itself we have a chance of avoiding another season of deterioration. At this moment I should be glad if we could finish in the top ten to stall the decline.
I hope the physios can work magic and that we can surprise [almost] everyone at Home Park. Been there many times but hardly recall a goal [David Greene] let alone a win so......it is time to change that now.

Thanks again...France may be intriguing and they are trying to brew [properly!] but it's a long way from Cuckoo Farm and your posts are invaluable to this exile in his studio!

As for our chairman's vision....it is laudable, financially responsible but a bit unconvincing so far. Glad we have his backing though as I am not too sure there are many among our church with the back pocket change to help the collection box much more than he does.

Up the U's.

Moor Pinot

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 16:09 - Oct 25 with 979 viewsnoah4x4

Let's not get too hung up about last Saturdays crowd. Consider the opposition.

The few Morecambe fans came in a minibus (not a joke). It was also half term. So how many of the East Stand youngsters that swell the weekly ranks were away with parents? I didn't detect any shortfall of usual faces in West and South stands. We do only have a hard core of about 2500 HOME fans.

Even in those days when averages were better it was the away fans that largely made the difference. It's not that long ago that Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Bradford fans; all cities with 0.5m to 1.5m population graced WHCS. Now we are playing village teams by comparison. Fact is, even if we were chasing promotion I doubt if home fan base would exceed 3,000. This town possibly won't generate more given that half its population are London exiles or Ipswich.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 00:15 - Oct 26 with 941 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 16:09 - Oct 25 by noah4x4

Let's not get too hung up about last Saturdays crowd. Consider the opposition.

The few Morecambe fans came in a minibus (not a joke). It was also half term. So how many of the East Stand youngsters that swell the weekly ranks were away with parents? I didn't detect any shortfall of usual faces in West and South stands. We do only have a hard core of about 2500 HOME fans.

Even in those days when averages were better it was the away fans that largely made the difference. It's not that long ago that Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Bradford fans; all cities with 0.5m to 1.5m population graced WHCS. Now we are playing village teams by comparison. Fact is, even if we were chasing promotion I doubt if home fan base would exceed 3,000. This town possibly won't generate more given that half its population are London exiles or Ipswich.

Of course people turn up to watch Leeds!

The points you make are valid but some long term, regular fans are now staying away. I can think of several familiar faces from the Bricklayers who I haven't seen for a few games now and a old mate of mine in the West stand says quite of few people he knows we're coming at the start of the season but have since dropped out.

I accept Col U will always struggle due to proximity of big clubs (and Ipswich) but what is a real concern at the moment is that a lot of hard core supporters are very unhappy and some are starting to miss games.

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 07:30 - Oct 26 with 933 viewsnoah4x4

Yes, there are a few protesters staying away, but I perceive they have been replaced by new supporters. The number of home fans has stayed static. Average gates were also rising again (until last week).

But have a lot of old faces simply abandoned the Bricklayers ever since the special 'pub bus enabled us to have more choice? It was interesting to see so many old faces at JTs birthday bash. First time in the Bricklayers for me in three years. How time flies.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 16:29 - Oct 26 with 904 viewsgerry_us

We did a lot of moaning and groaning about our goalkeeping last season and couldn't wait to get big Sam back in the team...
Well; having watched a few of the highlights this season I have been totally unimpressed with Walker, and the fumble from a simple free kick Saturday was unforgivable. Maybe it's time to give young Bransgrove a run if only to convince Sam that he is NOT the first on the team sheet each week. I know he is a better goalie than he is showing us at present but maybe a good kick up the backside is what is required.
OK now all you "Big Sam" fanatics, by all means have your say as I have only stated my personal opinion.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 17:34 - Oct 26 with 892 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 16:29 - Oct 26 by gerry_us

We did a lot of moaning and groaning about our goalkeeping last season and couldn't wait to get big Sam back in the team...
Well; having watched a few of the highlights this season I have been totally unimpressed with Walker, and the fumble from a simple free kick Saturday was unforgivable. Maybe it's time to give young Bransgrove a run if only to convince Sam that he is NOT the first on the team sheet each week. I know he is a better goalie than he is showing us at present but maybe a good kick up the backside is what is required.
OK now all you "Big Sam" fanatics, by all means have your say as I have only stated my personal opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Walker's performances so far this season have been erratic. Part of that is due to the variety of new ways our defenders are finding to let attackers create chances but I have to think part of it must be worries about his knee.

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 18:20 - Oct 26 with 887 viewsbwildered

Exactly in the pre-match warm up Big Sam made the same mistake! Bromsgrove looks a good keeper especially in his ground work , but might require to dominate his area more ( perhaps that is down to playing behind senior players ).
Anyone to pick Bromsgrove for a game against the league leaders at Home Park at the weekend ?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:10]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 18:39 - Oct 26 with 883 viewsgerry_us

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 18:20 - Oct 26 by bwildered

Exactly in the pre-match warm up Big Sam made the same mistake! Bromsgrove looks a good keeper especially in his ground work , but might require to dominate his area more ( perhaps that is down to playing behind senior players ).
Anyone to pick Bromsgrove for a game against the league leaders at Home Park at the weekend ?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:10]

Could be the making of him.
But they won't pick him.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 19:16 - Oct 26 with 874 viewsLeadbelly

How long has Bankole been goalkeeping coach at the club? And have any of the 'keepers under his charge shown noticeable improvement during that time? Just asking.

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 19:24 - Oct 26 with 870 viewsgerry_us

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 19:16 - Oct 26 by Leadbelly

How long has Bankole been goalkeeping coach at the club? And have any of the 'keepers under his charge shown noticeable improvement during that time? Just asking.

Gerkin seems to be out of favour at Ippy. Maybe a return in the New Year? I always rated him.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 19:45 - Oct 26 with 860 viewsLeadbelly

Gerken keeps kicking or throwing the ball forwards. A bit too positive for McCarthy.

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 20:39 - Oct 26 with 848 viewspwrightsknees

I always thought of Gerken as a good shot stopper, but he sometimes got himself into a pickle with crosses and command of his area. Maybe age and maturity has developed his all-round game.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 12:13 - Oct 27 with 820 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 07:30 - Oct 26 by noah4x4

Yes, there are a few protesters staying away, but I perceive they have been replaced by new supporters. The number of home fans has stayed static. Average gates were also rising again (until last week).

But have a lot of old faces simply abandoned the Bricklayers ever since the special 'pub bus enabled us to have more choice? It was interesting to see so many old faces at JTs birthday bash. First time in the Bricklayers for me in three years. How time flies.

You're seeing new fans but I'm not, at least in S4.

The people missing from the Bricklayers are travelling from London and north of Colchester. I'm quite sure the new pub bus is not the cause. Those missing from the west stand are well known to my old mate as they live near him and have caught the same bus to games since we moved to WHCS. He still sees them where he lives but they aren't going to games any more.

Average home attendance this season, month by month, as follows:

August - 3904
September -3183
October - 2951

Lies, damn lies and statistics of course but I'm not sure how the above, taken from the official attendance figures, support your assertion that average attendance is rising.

I don't go to away games any more and I don't attend U23 games. It may be that the performances at these games are hugely promising. All I see are first XI games at home and there has, in my opinion, been nothing promising about these for several years. The odd good performance aside it has been poor and getting worse.

I think a number of people have reached the point, or are approaching it, where they have had enough. I'm one of them. Football is supposed to be entertainment, a diversion from the weekly grind, something enjoyable. When I get to see Leeds, despite the gross mismanagement of the club, I still get a real buzz. This is no longer the case at Colchester. I'm bored of being told how great everything is, how brilliant the latest signing will be, how the academy is about to produce a raft of quality players, how everyone will work hard all week to eliminate the mistakes that cost us the last game. I'm bored because none of it rings true to me.

I won't be going to the FA Cup game as the club have decided to close the south stand...another PR coup. Unless there are some fundamental changes before next season begins I won't be renewing my season ticket either. Mr Cowling may be in this for the long term, no matter how bad it gets, but I'm not. There are plenty of other things I can do at the weekend which bring me pleasure. Sadly, attending Colchester United games is no longer one of them and it hasn't been for some time.

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 22:10 - Oct 27 with 780 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 12:13 - Oct 27 by Leadbelly

You're seeing new fans but I'm not, at least in S4.

The people missing from the Bricklayers are travelling from London and north of Colchester. I'm quite sure the new pub bus is not the cause. Those missing from the west stand are well known to my old mate as they live near him and have caught the same bus to games since we moved to WHCS. He still sees them where he lives but they aren't going to games any more.

Average home attendance this season, month by month, as follows:

August - 3904
September -3183
October - 2951

Lies, damn lies and statistics of course but I'm not sure how the above, taken from the official attendance figures, support your assertion that average attendance is rising.

I don't go to away games any more and I don't attend U23 games. It may be that the performances at these games are hugely promising. All I see are first XI games at home and there has, in my opinion, been nothing promising about these for several years. The odd good performance aside it has been poor and getting worse.

I think a number of people have reached the point, or are approaching it, where they have had enough. I'm one of them. Football is supposed to be entertainment, a diversion from the weekly grind, something enjoyable. When I get to see Leeds, despite the gross mismanagement of the club, I still get a real buzz. This is no longer the case at Colchester. I'm bored of being told how great everything is, how brilliant the latest signing will be, how the academy is about to produce a raft of quality players, how everyone will work hard all week to eliminate the mistakes that cost us the last game. I'm bored because none of it rings true to me.

I won't be going to the FA Cup game as the club have decided to close the south stand...another PR coup. Unless there are some fundamental changes before next season begins I won't be renewing my season ticket either. Mr Cowling may be in this for the long term, no matter how bad it gets, but I'm not. There are plenty of other things I can do at the weekend which bring me pleasure. Sadly, attending Colchester United games is no longer one of them and it hasn't been for some time.

Absolutely splendidly put as usual, Leads. Like you I think the attendance is on the brink of total collapse. The quality between Leagues 1 & 2 is enormous, and if he was still alive I am sure Eddie Waring would enjoy commentating on our games. As you say people go to watch football to be entertained, and recent home games will be the straw that broke the camel's back with a lot of people.
While Cowling is in charge nothing is going to change. His philosophy is not working, as the last four seasons prove, but he is stubbornly going to continue with it. This is why people will stop going, it is poor now, and the future holds no hope of it getting better.

mfb

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 13:29 - Oct 28 with 757 viewsnoah4x4

Fact is, average gates had been rising year on year for a few seasons, that is until the last six home league games. I agree there is now a worrying "last straw" factor from some fans that perceive we should be competing better in Division Two. But other factors have also been at play (like Morecambe fans came in a minibus).

Personaly, I feel we need to be far more patient. Look how long Plymouth, Pompey and Notts County ( each with bigger gates) have been stuck in this Division, and now it looks as if they are on the rise again. Isn't the plight of MK Don's simply mirroring ours when we fell out of the Championship? We might have little respect for its management, but the 6-0 drubbing MKD gave us still hurts.

Frankly, I don't know what Cowling can do to change this. If he agreed to sell, who will buy? Nobody is stupid to invest more in a football club that has lost its fans. We might be spiralling into a self-fulfilling prophesy of another relegation if we don't get behind the team. So IMHO, a stay away protest is the worst thing we can do if we want our club to rise again.
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 22:29 - Oct 28 with 718 viewsWessiehomesPete

In fairness, isn't it safe to say that Mr. Cowling is bleeding money?

In a way, I feel for his plight. If he sells it will be for a bargain basement valuation. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I guess I'm wondering, what are the assets he could sell? Is the Weston Homes part of a sale or is the stadium owned by a conglomerate?

I don't think there is any chance that our U's will drop to the Conference in '17. Sadly, though, there is no player anyone will want in the transfer window. I think we're all stuck with what we have because I doubt Mr. Cowling with splash some cash.

But it only takes a nice 4 points from 6 any given.. to get right up there towards the playoff places.

I have all faith.

Up the U's.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2016 22:33]
Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 23:57 - Oct 28 with 702 viewswessex_exile

Super U's versus Shrimps at WHCS on 22:29 - Oct 28 by WessiehomesPete

In fairness, isn't it safe to say that Mr. Cowling is bleeding money?

In a way, I feel for his plight. If he sells it will be for a bargain basement valuation. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I guess I'm wondering, what are the assets he could sell? Is the Weston Homes part of a sale or is the stadium owned by a conglomerate?

I don't think there is any chance that our U's will drop to the Conference in '17. Sadly, though, there is no player anyone will want in the transfer window. I think we're all stuck with what we have because I doubt Mr. Cowling with splash some cash.

But it only takes a nice 4 points from 6 any given.. to get right up there towards the playoff places.

I have all faith.

Up the U's.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2016 22:33]

Just to answer your question, neither Robbie Cowling nor indeed Colchester United, own the stadium. That is owned lock, stock and barrel, by Colchester Borough Council - we are just tenants. This is nothing new, we sold Layer Rd to the council many years ago to bail us out of financial peril, and remained as tenants there. I believe Robbie does currently own our training ground at Florence Park (named after his Nan), which is a substantial chunk of real estate if he ever wanted to cash it in. Let's hope not...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024