Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today 12:55 - Nov 5 with 715 viewsdurham_exile

JM has an opportunity to forget about the U’s parlous league position with a game against the Danny Wilson managed Spireites in the First-Round proper of the FA Cup this weekend.

But first let us dwell briefly on last Saturday. Forget about the first Pilgrims goal where the home side played on after Drey Wright was injured. The real controversy followed the injury to referee Kevin Johnson after an accidental collision with Spencer the Plymouth number 9.

Guthrie played the ball into touch immediately and our captain Prosser carried the stretcher onto the field whilst both medical teams attended to the stricken ref. Fortunately he was released from Derriford Hospital earlier this week none the worse for his injury.

The incident took place just outside the home sides penalty area and after a lengthy delay whilst Johnson received attention and was stretchered off to respectful applause from all parts of the ground, Simon Knapp took over.

Plymouth restarted the game with the throw in some 25 yards further up the pitch from the original incident and should have returned the ball to Colchester but instead went on the attack. The delay had clearly impacted more on Colchester than Plymouth and Prosser mis hit his back pass to Walker who contrived to strike the ball against the onrushing Plymouth sub Donaldson who fluked the ball over his head and into the unguarded net. Shades of Gillespie’s goal against Huddersfield a few seasons ago!!!!

The reason that I am still angry about the incident is that Colchester were the better side particularly in the second half and IMHO would have won the game had the freak injury to the original ref not changed things so dramatically. To make matters worse I listened to Radio Devon after the game and Adams the Plymouth manager made some frankly unjustified comments about the game and suggested that Plymouth deserved the win. In truth, a draw was the least that we deserved. To suggest otherwise was frankly disgraceful. The reaction from the home supporters at the final whistle suggested that they had won the league there and then such was their relief. Colchester will play much worse this season and actually win a game.

Anyway, when you haven’t won for 9 games things do seem to go against you.

Now I’m afraid that as big a fan that I am of Sam Walker it is time for him to be rested. He has unfortunately cost the team 5 points in the last two games. The howler against Morecambe and the poor clearance against Plymouth must mean he should be rested for the next couple of games.

JM please give Bransgrove an opportunity in goal today and also rest Drey Wright.

By contrast the best player on the field bar none was Craig Slater last weekend. Quality tackling, distribution and a superb free kick meant that he was so unlucky to be on the losing side.

Our problem at present is individual mistakes at key times of matches. Simple as.

Bransgrove

Brindley Wynter Prosser Doyley

Slater Vincent-Young Szmodics Fosu

Guthrie Porter

Subs:

Walker Kent Lapslie Johnstone Eastman Johnstone Kamara

Any victory is long overdue and with the games coming thick and fast (including a meaningless match against Charlton this week) we need a win to boost confidence.

The support for the team was magnificent last week, time to get the monkey off our backs and defeat Ches vegas today.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

PS And I haven't even mentioned you know who either!!!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 13:28 - Nov 5 with 710 viewsmfb_cufc

Chesterfield have lost their last six league games, without scoring a goal. So a team in worst form than us. Are teams more determined to beat them after they signed you know who?

mfb

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 15:16 - Nov 5 with 669 viewsgerry_us

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 13:28 - Nov 5 by mfb_cufc

Chesterfield have lost their last six league games, without scoring a goal. So a team in worst form than us. Are teams more determined to beat them after they signed you know who?

Who's that then?

Walker in goal and Bransgrove not even on the bench.

...and Big George has just scored for Braintree

You couldn't make it up.

PS...and my worst nightmare has now happened.

PPS....Disaster. concentrate on the league?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2016 16:54]
Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 16:54 - Nov 5 with 648 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 15:16 - Nov 5 by gerry_us

Who's that then?

Walker in goal and Bransgrove not even on the bench.

...and Big George has just scored for Braintree

You couldn't make it up.

PS...and my worst nightmare has now happened.

PPS....Disaster. concentrate on the league?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2016 16:54]

It is difficult to know whether our season can get any worse

Durham_exile

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 17:49 - Nov 5 with 620 viewsbwildered

Chesterfield play there get out of jail card, while the U's are just like a firework that fails to go bang - but Mcblip .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 19:18 - Nov 5 with 591 viewsthrillseeker

That was painful

Only about 1650 home fans today and I dread to think how many there will be for the Checkatrade game on Tuesday. I suspect it will be sub 1000
Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 22:37 - Nov 5 with 542 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 19:18 - Nov 5 by thrillseeker

That was painful

Only about 1650 home fans today and I dread to think how many there will be for the Checkatrade game on Tuesday. I suspect it will be sub 1000

Painful? Surely we were just unlucky again?

And as for Tuesday, there were fewer than 1,000 for the Southampton game so a dead rubber against Charlton may set a new record low.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 23:51 - Nov 5 with 524 viewsgerry_us

Just watched the highlights on BBC, all 58 seconds. Even D & R 0-0 draw got 1 min 20 seconds. Tells us something of our drawing power currently.
Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 08:28 - Nov 6 with 503 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 23:51 - Nov 5 by gerry_us

Just watched the highlights on BBC, all 58 seconds. Even D & R 0-0 draw got 1 min 20 seconds. Tells us something of our drawing power currently.

Gerry - this alarming slump is mirroring what happened last season.

Very worrying indeed.

Not even half the season gone and already out of the Cups and in a perilous position in the league.

Please tell me what the solution is???????

Up the U's

In truth the only way is up.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 09:11 - Nov 6 with 498 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's seeking FA Cup glory against Spireites today on 08:28 - Nov 6 by durham_exile

Gerry - this alarming slump is mirroring what happened last season.

Very worrying indeed.

Not even half the season gone and already out of the Cups and in a perilous position in the league.

Please tell me what the solution is???????

Up the U's

In truth the only way is up.

In truth, down and up are both directions we can take from the current position. Leyton Orient are a club in turmoil, with an owner in open warfare with the fans, so failure to beat them next week should be unthinkable but, sadly, a loss won't be a surprise at all.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024