Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Next? 18:15 - Nov 12 with 1966 viewspwrightsknees

At 3.00pm on 6th May 2007, the U’s kicked off against Crystal Palace at Layer Road. If we had won, and other results gone in our favour, there was an arithmetical, albeit unrealistic, chance that we could have made the play-offs for the Premiership.

The club had even written to the Premier League asking, if promoted, for permission to play one season at Layer Road, while out new stadium was under development.

That was May 2007. Two months later in July 2007, Mr. Cowling replaced Peter Heard as Chairman of the club.

Less than a decade later, and under Mr. Cowling’s stewardship, we find ourselves just one point (and with our usual inferior goal difference) and one position above the relegation zone to the National League.

Mr. Cowling cannot be blamed for all our ills — the Fair Play finance system for example, has worked against us. Nor do I think that he doesn’t care about the first team. But I do think that he should take an urgent, long, hard look at our situation and develop a short-term plan for survival, and mid-term and long term plans for future success.

I would like, at least, to have a statement from the club as to what happens next. Fat chance, I suspect!
What Next? on 18:55 - Nov 12 with 1946 viewsWessiehomesPete

I'm looking at a ticket for *hold your breath* ..

QUEENS PARK RANGERS v COLCHESTER UNITED, Monday 1st January 2007.

Block Y4 Row B Seat 133 £24.00

That's nearly 10 years ago. I think our U's will do fine. But, yea, a definitive statement from our chairman would be nice.
What Next? on 19:57 - Nov 12 with 1910 viewsbwildered

Are we still able to receive Academy payments, while not in the Football League ( perhaps the only question that might strike fear in the chairmans thoughts and our league position ) ?
But wait, could the chairman vote for a L3, which would avoid embarrassment for the club ( those pesky league positions , points and performances - well he did vote for the Checkatrade Trophy ) .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What Next? on 20:00 - Nov 12 with 1906 viewsLeadbelly

Conference is what comes next if we keep playing like that. Orient fans after the game could not believe their luck. As one chap said the me in the pub "We've played much better than that and lost this season"

We were so poor I actually find it hard to believe we have any prospect of staying up. Lapslie returns and spent the whole afternoon passing the ball to Orient. Dickenson returns, wins MOTM, but produced almost no thing. Guthrie was a waste of space, Johnstone came on as a sub and did squat. Another woefully inept performance in front of a half decent crowd. Those poor kids who had freebies in the West stand are probably receiving counselling from Childline as we speak.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What Next? on 20:10 - Nov 12 with 1899 viewsbwildered

Pre match Bugler won the MOTM by some considerable distance .

What Next? on 21:08 - Nov 12 with 1872 viewsLeadbelly

What Next? on 20:10 - Nov 12 by bwildered

Pre match Bugler won the MOTM by some considerable distance .

Bugler played a blinder and the minute's silence was observed impeccably. Sadly, all spectacularly down hill from there.

A team that clearly had no idea what they were supposed to do nor any confidence in their ability to do it.. Utter shambles.

What Next? on 21:16 - Nov 12 with 1863 viewsthrillseeker

Still trying to figure out why Slater was dropped from starting XI.

Can anyone help with an answer?
What Next? on 22:26 - Nov 12 with 1839 viewsdurham_exile

What Next? on 21:16 - Nov 12 by thrillseeker

Thrill seeker
Slater was the best player bar none at Plymouth, it was criminal that he was dropped today.

Guthrie is being played out of position. He is a striker.

Lapslie is over rated. Similarly Fosu and Kamara.

Things are grim indeed.

We are arguably worse now than last season. Simply shocking.

These constant defeats are really getting to the supporters and unless arrested soon we will be playing Wrexham again. Not an appealing thought.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

What Next? on 09:21 - Nov 13 with 1780 viewsbwildered

Wanted - manager with football league expierence already served his apprenticeship and another experience striker with proven record .

Login to get fewer ads

What Next? on 10:10 - Nov 13 with 1768 viewsmfb_cufc

What Next? on 21:16 - Nov 12 by thrillseeker

I think the reason why Slater was dropped is that Humes is the one picking the teams. The strange selections over the season so far have the hallmark of Humes.
I noticed at yesterday's game there was not much call for McGreal to be sacked. It is obvious to everyone if he is sacked, he will probably be replaced by Humes, or another puppet from the Academy.

mfb

What Next? on 16:05 - Nov 13 with 1704 viewsgerry_us

We're doomed I tell you, dooomed.
What Next? on 18:52 - Nov 13 with 1683 viewsdurham_exile

What Next? on 16:05 - Nov 13 by gerry_us

We're doomed I tell you, dooomed.

To put things into perspective, I have a friend who supports Chorley in the Vanarama North.

If they were promoted and the worst happened again to Col U, the prospect of going to Victory Park next season is not particularly appealing.

Grim times indeed.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

What Next? on 20:55 - Nov 13 with 1659 viewsmfb_cufc

Other things I heard from yesterday.
If Garvan plays two more games, he will earn more money. This is why he is not being picked, and in my opinion won't play for us again. Just like Jabo before him, he will get paid for doing nothing.
Porter wants to leave. Not surprising considering the abuse he receives.

mfb

What Next? on 20:57 - Nov 13 with 1659 viewsLeadbelly

What Next? on 18:52 - Nov 13 by durham_exile

To put things into perspective, I have a friend who supports Chorley in the Vanarama North.

If they were promoted and the worst happened again to Col U, the prospect of going to Victory Park next season is not particularly appealing.

Grim times indeed.
Up the U's

Chelmsford in a playoff position in Conference South. That would be grim as well.

What Next? on 09:45 - Nov 14 with 1617 viewsBlueStripes

After the utter and shameful shambles that passed for a "performance" against Orient, I think it's pretty obvious now that Col U are heading for the National League next season, and who is brave enough (or stupid enough!) to say that the slide down the leagues won't continue even then! A properly run club would now thank John McGreal for his services and show him the door, as the guy is obviously utterly out of his depth. But as we all know, this club is far from being properly run so this ain't gonna happen and, as someone earlier said, there's no point in getting rid of him because he will just be replaced by another Cowling "yes man" from within the ranks (and Humes is probably still effectively the manager behind the scenes anyway!). The only way this club is going to arrest the slide into non-league obscurity is if Cowling sells up and gets out and, as I can't see that happening any time soon, the future looks very dark indeed
What Next? on 10:54 - Nov 14 with 1607 viewsColukev

It baffles me how every season, we seem to have 2 x 10+ successive games without wins! This is even stretching back to Ward's last season with the 12 game wait for a win.

Form table for the 92FL clubs would surely be propped up by Colu?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024