Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prossor potentially out for the season 16:29 - Nov 24 with 1502 viewsFruitbat

We are going to need a centre half in January.
Prossor potentially out for the season on 19:27 - Nov 24 with 1480 viewsLeadbelly

We don't do things by halves when it comes to injuries.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Prossor potentially out for the season on 09:36 - Nov 25 with 1450 viewswessex_exile

Prossor potentially out for the season on 19:27 - Nov 24 by Leadbelly

We don't do things by halves when it comes to injuries.

Is this a new thing? It's a genuine question, because we do seem to be plagued by injury crises every season these days. Is there a problem with how we train our squad, or is it just that kids today are too soft?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Prossor potentially out for the season on 19:50 - Nov 25 with 1417 viewsLeadbelly

Prossor potentially out for the season on 09:36 - Nov 25 by wessex_exile

Is this a new thing? It's a genuine question, because we do seem to be plagued by injury crises every season these days. Is there a problem with how we train our squad, or is it just that kids today are too soft?

Certainly not a new situation for us. What concerns me most is the number of injuries that we seem to suffer during training and pre-match warm ups. I may be wrong (no doubt corrected if so!) but Kinsella is the only player whose injury I can recall occurring during a game this season.

Prossor potentially out for the season on 20:46 - Nov 25 with 1405 viewsmfb_cufc

Lapslie was also injured during a game, but think of any others. It is a concern that so many injuries occur at the training ground. State of the art it maybe, but this never happened at the Garrison or University.

mfb

Prossor potentially out for the season on 20:50 - Nov 25 with 1404 viewsnoah4x4

Prossor potentially out for the season on 19:50 - Nov 25 by Leadbelly

Certainly not a new situation for us. What concerns me most is the number of injuries that we seem to suffer during training and pre-match warm ups. I may be wrong (no doubt corrected if so!) but Kinsella is the only player whose injury I can recall occurring during a game this season.

I am sure I have read that Prossers injury first occured during the Morecambe game. He received treatment, did only light training; then he broke down during a warm up/fitness check prior to the next game.

Knee injuries are often like that. The damaged ligaments or meniscus can oddly 'give wayx when later twisted. It's sad, but at least Lloyd Doyley is again fit.
Prossor potentially out for the season on 21:05 - Nov 25 with 1400 viewsLeadbelly

I stand corrected...as expected!

Glad Doyley is available tomorrow. His experience and reported attitude could be a massive help.

Prossor potentially out for the season on 21:45 - Nov 25 with 1392 viewswessex_exile

Prossor potentially out for the season on 20:50 - Nov 25 by noah4x4

I am sure I have read that Prossers injury first occured during the Morecambe game. He received treatment, did only light training; then he broke down during a warm up/fitness check prior to the next game.

Knee injuries are often like that. The damaged ligaments or meniscus can oddly 'give wayx when later twisted. It's sad, but at least Lloyd Doyley is again fit.

I've lived with a torn cruciate ligament for the last 15+ years, a work 5-aside injury as it happens, so I can definitely vouch for "can often give way when later twisted" - in my case usually when jumping around celebrating a U's goal (so mercifully spared too many problems in recent years).

My GP at the time was frankly hilarious, the conversation being:
"How did this happen?"
"Playing 5-aside football"
"You're nearly 40, what on earth were you doing playing 5-side football"
"Errrmm, trying to stay fit?"
"Preposterous, you should have had more sense!"

With hindsight, he may have been right.

So, apart from an arthroscopy to confirm the diagnosis, he (rightly) recommended no surgery (apparently surgery on a major joint effectively ages the joint by 10+ years, and massively increases the likelihood of rheumatoid arthritis), and instead recommended cycling to strengthen the muscle to support the knee. This worked well for a while, until I managed to face-plant into the road avoiding a wayward child, in the process knocking myself clean out, losing several teeth, breaking an arm and mashing my face enough for stitches.

Incidentally, though I generally ride a desk these days, collectively as archaeologists we all work in a physically demanding and dangerous environment most of the time - yet our company has had more career-threatening injuries playing 5-aside football than all of the site-based injuries put together.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Prossor potentially out for the season on 08:18 - Nov 26 with 1370 viewsnoah4x4

I gave up cricket at aged 58 after my sixth dislocated shoulder.
Four times rugby.
Once deep water snorkeling
Once fell over on a train going to work..
Never cricket.
Doctor initially told me it was OK to continue....

Then as I was leaving he said "do you bat or bowl,"
I said bat and keep wicket.
He instantly, focused on my other body parts.
We discussed my painful knees (like Wessex 15 years torn cruciate ligament).
He enquired how often our bowlers "chuck it down the leg side".
Then how many byes I let through.
Changed his prognosis entirely based on the lack of accuracy of our bowlers and advised me it was time to give up and take up scoring.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024