Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view 22:52 - Dec 11 with 437 viewsdurham_exile

The Super U’s under JM’s management made the 159-mile journey to Mansfield on Saturday. My journey from Durham was a mere 116 miles and the A1, M18 and M1 were clear and relatively dry.

Gerry also travelled and clocked less than 100 miles. We met at the Pizza Hut (the pasta was very good) across from Field Mill or the One Call Stadium as it is now known.

Gerry last officiated at the ground in 1988, whilst I attended a U’s match in 1996, when Joe Dunne scored a 90th minute winner.

Now the game was all ticket and attracted 3,398 of which 237 were supporting the Super U’s.

The weather was unseasonably mild and dry temperature about 12 degrees. Field Mill is Britain’s oldest professional football stadium according to the sign on the Quarry Lane stand. The pitch was in very good condition and the major change since I was last at the stadium was that the Bishop Street Stand has been condemned (it probably dates from the construction of the ground!) and is now boarded up with advertising hoardings, although the TV gantry is mounted on the roof section and looked very much like the old Layer Road facility.

The main Ian Greaves two-tiered stand accommodates about 90% of the home support and is very fine. It does not however have hospitality boxes in spite of its size and capacity. The faithful were accommodated in the North Stand and were vociferous in their support throughout.

The U’s were unchanged and lined up 3,4,1,2

Walker

Eastman Kent Elokobi

Brindley Garvan Lapslie (captain) Dickenson

Slater

Guthrie Johnstone

Subs:

Wright, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Barnes, Fosu, Doyley and Szmodics

Now programmes have come in for some stick on this site from those who either never buy them or have no interest in them. I would commend the Stags programme £3 for 80 pages of articles features and even including an A3 double sided poster.

The U’s recent encouraging form has been greatly assisted by the return from injury of Owen Garvan, the return of the promising Frankie Kent and Kurtis Guthrie playing in his more accustomed striker position.

Now Steve Evan’s teams are usually physical and often resort to dubious tactics. Mansfield yesterday spent much of their time on the deck, appearing to have been poleaxed by the most innocuous of challenges. Guthrie suffered from this injustice and the “illustrious” Darren Deadman wasted no time in reaching for his book to caution the unfortunate Guthrie. Kent blotted his copybook with a cynical body check which was unnecessary whilst “Big George Elokobi was also harshly booked by the errant Deadman.

Chances in the first half were at a premium. Notably the miss of the day came from Mansfield’s Matt Green who found himself unmarked and onside 8 yards out after the free kick conceded by Kent and managed to pull his shot well wide of the goal.

The referee’s poor decision making led to skipper Lapslie remonstrating with him after a number of dubious decisions all went the Stags way. The faithful bayed for blood.

Garvan and Eastman combined well with attacking intent after 25 and 41 minutes and on both occasions Shearer in the Mansfield goal had to make smart saves.

Half time and it was all square and in fairness a justified scoreline. The Hot Chocolate was indeed everything it said on the cup. Without doubt it would still have been warm at the end of the match.

The burgers seemed less impressive and the addition of a rasher of bacon for a £1 seemed steep.

Second half the U’s definitely shaded possession and shots with a total of 4 on target to the Stag’s 1.

Sammy Szmodics replaced Denny Johnstone after 77 minutes and Drey Wright came on for Craig Slater after 87 minutes.

The industrious Slater is my most improved player of the season, his work rate is excellent and he contributes much from midfield. My MOTM though was without doubt Owen Garvan. Rarely puts a pass astray and right at the end his delivery led to an Eastman header which Shearer did well to push onto the bar.

In the 92nd minute U’s hearts were in their mouths after Danny Rose burst into the box and fell theatrically. The Referee redeemed himself however and agreed with the faithful that it was a dive and duly booked Rose.

A hard-earned point and another clean sheet with over 270 minutes since we last conceded a goal.

Brennan Dickenson had a quiet game on the left side of midfield and I suspect that he wasn’t 100% fit. He made no forward forays and seemed lethargic. A big shout out to George Elokobi who had another strong game and at the end ran behind the goal to accept the plaudits from the faithful who appreciated his hard work.

The Super U’s sit mid table exactly 6 points form the relegation zone and 6 points from the play offs. The Magpie’s are visiting the WHCS next Saturday in an eminently winnable game. Achieving a top seven finish must be the aim for the rest of the season.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view on 01:17 - Dec 12 with 417 viewsWessiehomesPete

Great write-up Pete... Thank you for your insight brother. Besides my U's Player you keep me smartly in touch with our U's.

Up the U's.
Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view on 01:19 - Dec 12 with 415 viewsWessiehomesPete

I'm still really upset about a nil-nil.

That was a freaking 3 points for the taking! :(
Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view on 12:58 - Dec 12 with 383 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for that superb report Durham. Helps those if us afar to understand how our I'd are progressing.
Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view on 13:49 - Dec 12 with 372 viewsnoah4x4

Super stuff Durham.

I would emphasise a hard won point against a team willing to reenact all Evans past skulduggery and a referee that was more blinkered than a rabbit caught in the fat b'stards headlights.
Mansfield Town v Super U's Durham's view on 14:13 - Dec 12 with 365 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thank you Durham.
I echo Burnsie's point.
Grateful as ever.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024