Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend 20:57 - Feb 2 with 465 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his charges to the North West to resurrect Col U’s fortunes after defeat at St James’ Park to in-form Exeter. Now I travelled to the Exeter game and although the scoreline suggests an easy victory for the home team, it was a very close encounter, settled by two late goals when the U’s were chasing the game and consequently left gaps at the back.

In truth, they were more clinical than us when it counted in the final third. Since then of course they have defeated two promotion rivals to put them closely on the heels of the Cumbrians. The key match of course is their forthcoming Home Park encounter.

Blackpool by contrast have continued to suffer problems both on and off the field. Frenetic transfer activity has seen former U’s favourite Neil Danns join on loan together with Jordan Flores another loan signing. Gary Bowyer is likely to pitch both players into the midfield for Saturday’s encounter, whilst Nathan Delfouenso and the tricky Sanmi Odelusi are also likely to play.

The Seasiders are just below the U’s in the table and this is likely to be a tight affair, but the U’s should shade it to get back to their promotion push.

Current standings:

Doncaster 28 61
Plymouth 27 54
Carlisle 28 49
Exeter 28 45
Luton 28 45
Pompey 27 45
Wycombe 27 43
Barnet 28 41
COL U 27 40

I am firmly of the belief that third place is still attainable; Wycombe, Barnet, Pompey, Luton, Doncaster and Plymouth still have to play at the WHCS, in what will surely determine whether we contest one of the top three spots or the play-off berths.

It is, however, vital for JM to get the team back to winning ways and the U’s have secured several key signings to help the cause.

JM has strengthened each department with Dean Brill signing from Motherwell to support Sam Walker whilst experienced midfielder Sean Murray has joined from Swindon on an 18-month deal to further support talented midfielder Tommy O’Sullivan from Cardiff City. Finally, Rekeil Pyke has joined from Huddersfield on loan. The 19-year-old striker is highly regarded and has permission to stay for the play offs should we not secure third place in the table.

Sadly, Owen Garvan is once again side-lined. The U’s talented talisman will be sorely missed. Drey Wright is also out after surgery and joins a myriad of players awaiting return after long spells away from fitness. One who may soon return is Matt Briggs who has been playing for the U23 side. Blackpool may be a week too soon for the experienced defender.

Macauley Bonne has been given his Cards and has returned to Woking. This loan spell must be make or break for the Zimbabwean, who has showed promise but in my view, has never really lived up to his billing.

More welcome news saw the derisory bid from our Suffolk fiends for Brennan Dickenson soundly rejected. Apart from the fact that they are sinking like a lead balloon, there is unrest at Poorman Road with their manager and their recent defeat to Lincoln was abject at best.

JM has at least had a full two weeks to prepare his charges ahead of the Bloomfield Road encounter and he will be thinking carefully about his favoured XI for the key match. Kurtis Guthrie will have benefitted from the enforced break whilst Big George will have been practising on the percussion.

I reckon that JM will bring the new signings but they are likely to enter the fray from the bench, rather than the starting line-up which should be akin to this in a 3, 4, 1, 2 formation.

Walker

Eastman Kent Elokobi

Brindley Fosu Lapslie Dickenson

Slater

Guthrie Porter

Subs:

Brill, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Briggs, Murray, O’Sullivan, Pyke

Now the pitch at Bloomfield Road will have experienced considerable rain this week and from memory the main stand side of the ground often has drainage issues. Away fans are now positioned in the corner of the North Stand. Hopefully more than 200 of the faithful will make the journey from Essex and it is to be hoped will be in very good voice at 4.50pm Saturday afternoon.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. Enjoy the game.

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend on 07:57 - Feb 4 with 405 viewsColukev

Thanks Durham, another great preview!

I would be very surprised to see Fosu start today...to me we have a signed a very experienced yet young player in Murray, and he should be the natural replacement for Garvan

I personally haven't rated Fosu very much and as such would only start him either side on a 3 pronged attack, which thankfully we are no longer using.

Having said that, I rate him more than Drey Wright!
Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend on 08:17 - Feb 4 with 403 viewsLeadbelly

O'Sullivan, Brill, Murray and "Don't tell him" Pyke all travelled. Murray, in for Garvan, must have the best chance of starting.

Whilst Blackpool signed Neil Danna at least another Col U OB, Mark Yeates, won't be causing us problems, having signed for Notts County.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend on 08:56 - Feb 4 with 393 viewsColukev

Neil Danns. ...rolls back the years. Best squad ever...fact. aided by little ole layer road. ..man I miss that place.
Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend on 10:48 - Feb 4 with 369 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to thoroughly enjoy their day out at the Seaside this weekend on 08:56 - Feb 4 by Colukev

Neil Danns. ...rolls back the years. Best squad ever...fact. aided by little ole layer road. ..man I miss that place.

Agree with all that.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024