Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS 19:19 - Feb 20 with 1903 viewsdurham_exile

JM faces his most important week to date as Colchester United manager. Two home matches against our old fiends, play off chasing Wycombe Wanderers tomorrow and then struggling Hartlepool on Saturday.

Nothing less than 6 points will do after hugely damaging games against Crawley and Accrington Stanley. Much has been written about the Accrington game and everyone agrees that the first 45 minutes was the worst that Colchester have played all season.

Notwithstanding the fact that Richard Clark the referee was hopelessly out of his depth and managing to get all the big decisions wrong; the foul in the penalty area on Denny Johnstone which led to him initially hobbling off with a knee injury and then stretchered off down the touchline, the red card for Beckles challenge on Dickenson which looked far worse than it was, (interestingly John Coleman is not appealing the decision branding the process a waste of time) numerous inconsistent decisions and a second half desire to make up for his error of judgement by giving the home team the benefit of some shocking challenges.

In truth, the second half saw two very sensible changes from JM which introduced Briggs and Wright for Brindley and Lapslie. Matt Briggs and Brennan Dickenson then combined so well down the left-hand side of the field that Dickenson delivered numerous delicious crosses, that should have led to three goals from Guthrie and Porter.

Colchester may have laid siege to the Accrington goal for the last 20 minutes, but the damage had been done by two appalling pieces of defending in the first half. First the very impressive Billy Kee found himself all alone in front of Walker on 18 minutes, took the ball down superbly and gave the keeper no chance from 10 yards out. Then from a direct free kick Walker parried the ball out for a corner which was swung in to the far post and defender Pearson headed the ball goalward and Walker was stuck on his line and managed only to flap at the ball and helped it into the back of the net.

We never recovered and although there was much huffing and puffing throughout the second half, Accrington should have scored a third when having rounded the keeper they fired wide of the empty net.

The 208 faithful in a crowd of only 1,310 were disgruntled and rightly so after such a poor display.

Now we have a growing injury list, made worse by the fact that Johnstone is now out with a knee injury but less us examine the teams that lined up against Carlisle and Accrington.

Carlisle — WHCS Saturday 7 January 2017 4-1 to the U’s - Formation 3,4,1,2

Walker
Eastman Kent Elokobi
Brindley* Lapslie Garvan Dickenson
Slater*
Porter* Guthrie

Subs: Barnes Wright* Vincent-Young Wynter Johnstone* Doyley Fosu*
*Denotes substitution

Now compare that team with the one that lined up on Saturday against Accrington Stanley and lost 2-1 — Formation 4,3,3

Walker
Brindley* Vincent-Young Wynter Elokobi
Lapslie* Slater Garvan
Johnstone* Guthrie Dickenson

Subs: Barnes Edge Briggs* Wright* Porter* Fosu James
*Denotes substitution

Essentially and surprisingly for all the injuries, our team is only deficient of two defenders, Kent and Eastman. Despite this the last seven games have seen 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats.

Now on Tuesday evening the Chairboys led by Gareth Ainsworth come to town on a wretched run of 6 defeats in the last 7 games. It seems that their Cup run has caused the wheels to come off their promotion bandwagon. They also have suffered a grievous loss with the sad passing of their former defender Paul McCarthy at the age of 45, after a suspected heart attack. Such news puts everything into context.

Nevertheless, the rivalry between the two teams will add considerable spice to what is a vital game for both sides. I have to say though that I will be delighted to see a Colchester victory add to their league woes.

JM will have to juggle his squad again and must include young striker Rekeil Pyke who was not even on the bench on Saturday. Sean Murray could also return after suspension (perhaps keep him off the red meat prior to kick off!). Tom Lapslie might miss out, he seemed to lack sharpness on Saturday, but then in fairness to him only Dickenson and Briggs deserved their wages against Accrington on Saturday.

Suggest something akin to the following 3,4,3:

Walker

Brindley Wynter Elokobi

Wright Garvan Slater Briggs

Porter Guthrie Dickenson

Subs:
Barnes James Vincent-Young Fosu Pyke Edge Murray

Colchester have 15 games to secure a top seven berth (9 home and 6 away). The last two defeats have put paid to that elusive last automatic promotion spot, therefore wins against the Chairboys and the Monkey Hangers are vital to rekindle the promotion push.

JM must ensure that the U’s start strongly against Wycombe and look to press home any early advantage. Colchester v Wycombe is not a game that requires any additional motivation. Earlier in the season the U’s secured an impressive win at Adams Park. Tuesday would be the perfect opportunity to achieve our second double of the season.

Hopefully a 4,000+ attendance will see the U’s get their promotion push back on track against the Chairboys. Enjoy the game.

Up the Super U’s

[Post edited 21 Feb 2017 8:10]

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 06:27 - Feb 21 with 1018 viewsthrillseeker

Another well written article DE

A couple of comments

Attendance 4000 - no chance. I suspect 3200 - 3300 and that is depending on away following numbers

Formation - now I know injuries have impacted on the team but my frustration is why the continual change in formation.

Our winning run was based on what you call 3,4,1,2 so lets keep it that way. It is only a change of player after all.

Lapslie - I think he is a 'Marmite' player - some will like him others will not. Now I like Marmite but I am not currently convinced with Lapslie. To me he just runs around llike a headless chicken and people seeem happy with that. The good thing is that he is young and with time he should progress

A win tonight would see us go in to the Play Offs and we still have to play a number of our Play Off rivals which will be key to us staying in top 7
[Post edited 21 Feb 2017 6:29]
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 10:48 - Feb 21 with 992 viewsweststandwolly

Great piece and very insightful.

To add to the debate I am hearing more bad news on the injury front, Johnstone is as i understand out for the season along with Kent and Brill. Slater has also been carrying a injury and i'm under the impression we won't see him again this season!!

Luckily Murray will come straight back in to add a bit of quality to the midfield.

Tonight i expect:

Walker
Brindley - Wynter - Elokobi - Briggs - Dickenson
Garvan - Lapslie - Murray
Guthrie - Porter

Bench: Barnes, James, Kane Vincent-Young, Edge, Wright, Pyke, ??
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 11:05 - Feb 21 with 989 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 10:48 - Feb 21 by weststandwolly

Great piece and very insightful.

To add to the debate I am hearing more bad news on the injury front, Johnstone is as i understand out for the season along with Kent and Brill. Slater has also been carrying a injury and i'm under the impression we won't see him again this season!!

Luckily Murray will come straight back in to add a bit of quality to the midfield.

Tonight i expect:

Walker
Brindley - Wynter - Elokobi - Briggs - Dickenson
Garvan - Lapslie - Murray
Guthrie - Porter

Bench: Barnes, James, Kane Vincent-Young, Edge, Wright, Pyke, ??

If news on Slater is correct that would be a huge blow as I've been really impressed with him this season
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 13:15 - Feb 21 with 964 viewsRSCOSWORTH

If the above is correct I'd prefer to see us line up in a 4-4-2 tonight.

Walker

Brindley-Elokobi-Wynter-Briggs

Fosu-Garvan-Murray-Dickenson

Guthrie-Porter

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 19:10 - Feb 21 with 924 viewsdurham_exile

Ainsworth banned from touchline this evening

U's line up
Walker

Brindley James Elokobi Briggs

Murray Garvan Lapslie Dickenson

Porter Guthrie

Subs
Barnes Vincent-Young Wynter Wright Fosu Edge Pyke

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 19:52 - Feb 21 with 908 viewsdurham_exile

Bright start - very good work from Dickenson

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:00 - Feb 21 with 903 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 19:52 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Bright start - very good work from Dickenson

Up the U's

Big George get in

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:05 - Feb 21 with 900 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:00 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Big George get in

Now top seven

Looking for more goals tonight to confirm the top seven position

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:08 - Feb 21 with 895 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:05 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Now top seven

Looking for more goals tonight to confirm the top seven position

Richard Brindley crushed by the Beast, hopefully ok

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:09 - Feb 21 with 893 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:08 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Richard Brindley crushed by the Beast, hopefully ok

Walker decent save - need to be wary of Wyscum threat

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:31 - Feb 21 with 884 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:09 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Walker decent save - need to be wary of Wyscum threat

Lapslie booked.
Need to regroup at half time, Wyscum have been on top for some time now

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:34 - Feb 21 with 882 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:31 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Lapslie booked.
Need to regroup at half time, Wyscum have been on top for some time now

De Havilland already booked and looks to be "grounded" now. Certainly not "flying high"

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:35 - Feb 21 with 878 viewsthrillseeker

Going well at the moment.
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:35 - Feb 21 with 878 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:34 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

De Havilland already booked and looks to be "grounded" now. Certainly not "flying high"

Up the U's

1-0 HT

Need a big second half now to maintain the lead

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:38 - Feb 21 with 874 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:34 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Very good DE
Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:52 - Feb 21 with 869 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:38 - Feb 21 by thrillseeker

Very good DE

De Havilland now back in the hangar, Muller on

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:55 - Feb 21 with 866 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:52 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

De Havilland now back in the hangar, Muller on

Walker saves from the beast

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:59 - Feb 21 with 864 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:55 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Walker saves from the beast

We are living dangerously - need to get the ball forward and put pressure on the Wyscum goal

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:02 - Feb 21 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 20:59 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

We are living dangerously - need to get the ball forward and put pressure on the Wyscum goal

JM has options on the bench; Fosu, Edge or Pyke to change it up, perhaps Fosu.

We are gifting this to Wyscum at present.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:09 - Feb 21 with 855 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:02 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

JM has options on the bench; Fosu, Edge or Pyke to change it up, perhaps Fosu.

We are gifting this to Wyscum at present.

Come on the U's

Only 3031 at he WHCS tonight

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:10 - Feb 21 with 852 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:09 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Only 3031 at he WHCS tonight

I think 275 from Buckinghamshire

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:11 - Feb 21 with 850 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:10 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

I think 275 from Buckinghamshire

Come on the U's we need a second goal

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:13 - Feb 21 with 845 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:11 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Come on the U's we need a second goal

Up the U's

Come on JM freshen things up with fresh legs - pace of Fosu or Wright perhaps

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:14 - Feb 21 with 842 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:13 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Come on JM freshen things up with fresh legs - pace of Fosu or Wright perhaps

Guthrie - great save from the keeper

Durham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:15 - Feb 21 with 838 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fluid performance to put paid to wooden Chairboys at the WHCS on 21:14 - Feb 21 by durham_exile

Guthrie - great save from the keeper

Free kick - Garvan to deliver and it is cleared
But shot over the bar when it came back to Garvan

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024