Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? 15:53 - Feb 26 with 2573 viewsmrhappy

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 15:56 - Feb 26 with 2567 viewsmrhappy

Philippine islands - boracay.

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 17:24 - Feb 26 with 2547 viewsnoah4x4

New Zealand.

Visited it in 2005. So much like GB in many respects, but South Island is THE most beautiful place (if you don't mind a few Orcs, Hobbits and other assorted Lord of the Rings characters that probably now blight the commercial landscape).

Christchurch is like the most picturesque of English riverside towns. But my visit was before the Earthquake. Rugby, Cricket, Football, just like home. Fewer people, more space, not tainted by the destruction of "British values".

Trouble is too far to emigrate, love my family and pals here.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 17:28]
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 17:50 - Feb 26 with 2531 viewsmrhappy

Nice one

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 17:56 - Feb 26 with 2526 viewsLeadbelly

Canada. My brother emigrated in 2000 and has never regretted it. I've visited five or six times now and love the space, quality of life and the attitude of the people. Very different from the UK these days I'm afraid.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 18:24 - Feb 26 with 2518 viewsmrhappy

Yeah my son fancies it

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 21:35 - Feb 26 with 2486 viewswessex_exile

I've never been, but like all I've seen and heard about New Zealand.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 23:55 - Feb 26 with 2468 viewsjonestones

We've just recently emigrated to Cornwall (I know it's still 'officially' part of th uk, but there are people here who talk about independence, not sure how they afford it mind).

Anyway, I highly recommend it. We live near the sea and there is a lot less attitude than back home. We've really noticed the general difference of increased attitude on our trips back to the mother country, particularly when driving,!
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 05:37 - Feb 27 with 2462 viewsthrillseeker

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 17:24 - Feb 26 by noah4x4

New Zealand.

Visited it in 2005. So much like GB in many respects, but South Island is THE most beautiful place (if you don't mind a few Orcs, Hobbits and other assorted Lord of the Rings characters that probably now blight the commercial landscape).

Christchurch is like the most picturesque of English riverside towns. But my visit was before the Earthquake. Rugby, Cricket, Football, just like home. Fewer people, more space, not tainted by the destruction of "British values".

Trouble is too far to emigrate, love my family and pals here.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 17:28]

I went to NZ in 2004 and have to say sadly the quality of life seemed so much better than here. The South Island was stunning. I liked Christchurch where I was lucky to see the Crusaders play and Dunedin were I saw the Highlanders play.

The North Island isn't too bad either.

Unfortuately wife has a very close knit family and my young children are settled very nicely in school so the chances of me leaving Colchester are slim.

NZ for me it is but Bermuda would be a very close 2nd option

Login to get fewer ads

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 09:46 - Feb 27 with 2451 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yes, an interesting conundrum; but I still love England and especially north east Essex.

However, I guess I have already left...not once but twice, despite not having visited many countries in the world at all.

NZ - has always appealed.

Noah : My son [VES] stayed in NZ for quite a spell recently and visited Christchurch post earthquake. He - unlike his old man - is well travelled and he said it was the most dis spiriting place now. There is not the money or infrastructure to 'mend' the aftermath of that awful quake - particularly the cathedral. As such the city no longer has an upbeat and relaxed feel. A terrible thing.

Jonestones:

Yep, that's a good description of Cornwall, where I have also lived. Very separatist and there is a more languid lifestyle, which in turn can be frustrating. It's a long way to the football or the cricket though, hard though Truro City try to climb the pyramid. For me the many mists would be a block to 'emmigration to Cornwall' but it is definite 'emmigration of a sort', no mistake! I hope you continue to enjoy a very interesting county.....with many and black and white flags flying!

Whereas......for purely pragmatic reasons [no mortgage at last] coming to FRANCE, though not my choice or wish, has meant a second move abroad for me.
I will recommend it though. 16 months on a certain familiarity allows me to enjoy the very calm, slow and gentle life, so rare now in England. The people have time to be generous and patient as one struggles with the lingo, there is football and rugby and some of the compensations for coming here are real [climate, proper seasons, wine @2€ a bottle that would be £15 in UK, 4 course meals for between 9-13€ in many auberges, some with vin compris, the wildlife is more abundant especially the flowers and the feeling of relative security and safety pervades]. So France gets a strong vote.................................

but not my vote.

I'll vote for the first place I left for - ALDERNEY

The 'separatist' feel Jonestones speaks of in Cornish terms is personified on Alderney because it really is abroad. It is not in the EU, nor the UK, it has its own government and laws and its own money and stamps and house purchase system [which is not elitist like the other channel isles].
For me, it had all the reasons for choosing a new country. It was a bit pricey to get to U's games or decent birdwatching or the cricket but I used to combine all three things into a short trip, get my fix and retreat. It was, and is, a true paradise. Nice climate too.

So it gets my vote, pushed by what I know of NZ though.

Moor Pinot

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 11:31 - Feb 27 with 2443 viewsnoah4x4

That was my fear about Christchurch too. The cathedral was magnificent, and probably took a century to originally build. It dominated the huge central square. If damaged to the extent I fear, it will take a long time for Christchurch to recover it's heartbeat.

But some of you may recall I was caught up in the massive Kathmandu earthquake and was one of the last persons to visit various of its antiquities that day and survive. I am sure that Nepal is in an even worse state and as we reach its anniversary (24th April), please do consider donating once again to the relief fund.

We might aspire to live in the sun, or simply elsewhere, but for long life and security one probably can't beat blighty. Everything in Australia wants to sting, bite or otherwise maim you and elsewhere seems equally risky. New Zealand has earthquakes, other options have hurricanes and tsunamis. No wonder everybody wants to come here...
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 12:15 - Feb 27 with 2434 viewsmrhappy

amazing stuff chaps

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 16:36 - Feb 27 with 2395 viewsthrillseeker

Reading the comments about post earthquake Christchurch is disheartening.

Although the cathedral was an attraction the best place in Christchurch was The Holy Grail, a most fantastic drinking venue which sadly also suffered from the earthquake and is no longer with us.

Whilst on the subject of NZ I would always recommend a Speights for a beer. I went on a Speights brewery trip and left absolutely pi##ed. So pi##ed I sat through and watched the World Sheep Shearing Championship that was live on TV, on the equivalent of Sky Sports
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 19:34 - Feb 27 with 2380 viewsmrhappy

Hahahahaha

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 21:09 - Feb 27 with 2360 viewswessex_exile

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 16:36 - Feb 27 by thrillseeker

Reading the comments about post earthquake Christchurch is disheartening.

Although the cathedral was an attraction the best place in Christchurch was The Holy Grail, a most fantastic drinking venue which sadly also suffered from the earthquake and is no longer with us.

Whilst on the subject of NZ I would always recommend a Speights for a beer. I went on a Speights brewery trip and left absolutely pi##ed. So pi##ed I sat through and watched the World Sheep Shearing Championship that was live on TV, on the equivalent of Sky Sports

Any country that puts World Sheep Shearing live on the TV goes up tenfold in my opinion!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 22:02 - Feb 27 with 2349 viewsgerry_us

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 21:09 - Feb 27 by wessex_exile

Any country that puts World Sheep Shearing live on the TV goes up tenfold in my opinion!

You can see that in Wales as well.
Oh, no, that's sheep sh....... Sorry.
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 12:27 - Feb 28 with 2315 viewsfatpatabudhabi

I haven't posted for a long time, and just wanted to say that this is the sort of off topic thread that I missed. Thank you thank you thank you.

I am likely to have a few go's at this one, but just wanted to start with NZ.

I was lucky enough to go to NZ last Summer for a few weeks with wife and kids. What an amazing place. I too was awestruck by the South Island, which is a bit harsh on the North, as we had a equally amazing time there too.
The scenery in the South is so dramatic and imposing as to be nigh on mind blowing at times. If it weren't for the fact that it is simply at the end of the earth, I could/would move there tomorrow. And I guess there in lies the rub. It remains so well preserved for exactly that reason; it is remote, no getting away from it.

Sadly, I too had heard great things about Christchurch before the devastating effects of numerous earthquakes. It was not what I had expected. It was our opener to our tour of NZ, and I was sadly distinctly underwhelmed. Further, once we had visited many other towns and cities of NZ, there is such a distinct absence of an atmosphere there.

The most underrated place in NZ was Dunedin. Probably it is too tricky to get to that easily, and the weather is a bit bleak compared to other possible bigger cities to live in. However, it had a real edge to it, which I loved.

What a great thread, which I plan to add to if you will permit me...
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 15:02 - Feb 28 with 2303 viewsmrhappy

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 12:27 - Feb 28 by fatpatabudhabi

I haven't posted for a long time, and just wanted to say that this is the sort of off topic thread that I missed. Thank you thank you thank you.

I was lucky enough to go to NZ last Summer for a few weeks with wife and kids. What an amazing place. I too was awestruck by the South Island, which is a bit harsh on the North, as we had a equally amazing time there too.
The scenery in the South is so dramatic and imposing as to be nigh on mind blowing at times. If it weren't for the fact that it is simply at the end of the earth, I could/would move there tomorrow. And I guess there in lies the rub. It remains so well preserved for exactly that reason; it is remote, no getting away from it.

Sadly, I too had heard great things about Christchurch before the devastating effects of numerous earthquakes. It was not what I had expected. It was our opener to our tour of NZ, and I was sadly distinctly underwhelmed. Further, once we had visited many other towns and cities of NZ, there is such a distinct absence of an atmosphere there.

The most underrated place in NZ was Dunedin. Probably it is too tricky to get to that easily, and the weather is a bit bleak compared to other possible bigger cities to live in. However, it had a real edge to it, which I loved.

Most certainly sir - Thank you.

I am bringing my Filipino wife to the UK hopefully this year if she is accepted.

im off to PALAWAN from the UK tomorrow night.

check it out

most beautiful island in the world apparently.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 15:02]

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 16:10 - Feb 28 with 2292 viewsjonestones

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 12:27 - Feb 28 by fatpatabudhabi

Welcome back FatPat, good to have you back on board!
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 18:24 - Feb 28 with 2278 viewsthrillseeker

Pat - I enjoyed Dunedin and the surrounding area

You must have tried the Speights. What did you think of it?

A couple of Speights adverts (circa 2004)

At 1:01 there is the entrance to the brewery
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 19:54 - Feb 28 with 2267 viewsfatpatabudhabi

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 15:02 - Feb 28 by mrhappy

Most certainly sir - Thank you.

I am bringing my Filipino wife to the UK hopefully this year if she is accepted.

im off to PALAWAN from the UK tomorrow night.

check it out

most beautiful island in the world apparently.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 15:02]

I have been pretty lucky these past few years. Not only have we lived in the Middle East which is basically the centre of the world these days, but were also blessed with a wonderful Filipino nanny for my kids. She invited us to her sons wedding in Cagayan on Luzon, and we spent the next three weeks touring the Philippines with her and an entourage of her close family. We spent a good clip of time in Palawan and I have since followed up many times with my nanny about us buying there.
If you get the time, try Port Barton. It reminds me of Thailand thirty years ago. It is simply stunning. A bugger to get to from Porto Princessa, but worth the journey. Annoyingly there is an airport being built between PB and El Nido I think, so all is going to change. Some will be good, but unlikely this place stays as pristine as it once was.
Safe travels and enjoy Palawan. Somewhere I could definitely end up living.
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 23:05 - Feb 28 with 2246 viewsmrhappy

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 19:54 - Feb 28 by fatpatabudhabi

I have been pretty lucky these past few years. Not only have we lived in the Middle East which is basically the centre of the world these days, but were also blessed with a wonderful Filipino nanny for my kids. She invited us to her sons wedding in Cagayan on Luzon, and we spent the next three weeks touring the Philippines with her and an entourage of her close family. We spent a good clip of time in Palawan and I have since followed up many times with my nanny about us buying there.
If you get the time, try Port Barton. It reminds me of Thailand thirty years ago. It is simply stunning. A bugger to get to from Porto Princessa, but worth the journey. Annoyingly there is an airport being built between PB and El Nido I think, so all is going to change. Some will be good, but unlikely this place stays as pristine as it once was.
Safe travels and enjoy Palawan. Somewhere I could definitely end up living.

Incredible - thank you

I take it your a Colchester born and bred roving businessman of sorts ?

Thanks again

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 12:18 - Mar 1 with 2225 viewsfatpatabudhabi

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 23:05 - Feb 28 by mrhappy

Incredible - thank you

I take it your a Colchester born and bred roving businessman of sorts ?

Thanks again

Businessman...hahaha. Nothing as glamorous or as well paid.
As a family we just took the decision to find work offshore. My wife is from South Africa, we have lived in UK, SA, UAE and now we are in Mauritius.
This is our diciest venture yet, as we/my wife, are setting up a company here. Cash bleed and no income.

However, back to topic, Mauritius is stunning. Perhaps a few too many mosquitoes for my comfort, but beautiful nonetheless.

One of the saddest things to note about your poll and subsequent conversations, is that no one has mentioned SA. What an amazing place. Except for the elephant in the room; violent crime. When we lived in Johannesburg, we had the most amazing time. It is such an incredibly welcoming and social city. But as we know, that can all change in a heartbeat if you are the unlucky victim of the crime that goes on there. Otherwise, I suspect it would be up there on peoples list.
If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 17:25 - Mar 1 with 2201 viewsmrhappy

Amazing !

You didn't answer if u were Colchester or not.

As for Mauritius - I have a few mates from there .

One goes and comes .

He works here for a year then goes for a year

On and off like clockwork.

Why work too hard eh !

Life's too short

I hear capetown is better overall.

The world has become so small- I'll be in Palawan Saturday night .

Sipping a cocktail and listening to a live band ....

Life is about being a giver and enjoying what comes back.

Hard work is for mugs lol lol 😂
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 17:29]

If you had to or could move abroad - where would it be to? on 14:55 - Mar 19 with 2096 viewsmrhappy

I came back from Palawan and found a gem

Panwan island

Hire a yacht all day for 20 quid

Two crew members

Me and the wife only

35 minutes sail time

Class !

Was this place better than boracay ?

Mmmmm I'd say - no overall.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024