Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut 22:52 - Mar 13 with 941 viewsdurham_exile

Now this is neither the time to dwell on Saturday’s defeat, nor to feel sorry for ourselves. One thing is certain after Saturday, the top three league positions are now decided and Colchester must fight for a play-off position with their remaining 10 games, from which they must garner 21 points.

Six homes and four aways remain; no time for sentiment, it is all about results. JM stated that his players were naïve, maybe so but his tactics to employ one lone striker with such an impressive home record to defend was patently crass and downright stupid.

JM stated before the game that he would be using Szmodics sparingly, but played him from the start, whilst not using the pacy and dangerous Fosu. He was reluctant to bring on attacking options and when he did we were chasing the game.

Steve Evan’s Mansfield game on Tuesday night at the WHCS is now a simply must win at all costs.

Pompey will never get a better result all season that on Saturday. They held a slender lead at half time, we switched off for a sloppy second immediately after the break and then the game was up.

Amazingly we are still only three points adrift of the top seven. Exeter will drop away, it is up to the Super U’s to secure that seventh place and this can be achieved with some consistent performances.

The Stags are just above us in the table and will provide a test but one which the U’s are capable of passing with an attacking game and improved finishing.

I want to see JM opt for two strikers and the talisman Dickenson up front and not to be afraid to take the game to the Stags.

Try this in a 3,4,3 formation. If Brindley is fit, then he should play otherwise as below:

Walker

Vincent-Young James Elokobi

Fosu Garvan Murray Briggs

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Barnes Wynter Kinsella Szmodics Bonne Wright Dunne

A play off place is there for the taking no that all ambition of the top three has definitely gone.

Less than 3,000 on Tuesday are likely to create less atmosphere, but it is all about the three points and to give back some much-needed confidence after the mauling on Saturday. I was sadly wrong; the Pompey chimes didn’t fall silent unlike the Whitechapel Bell Foundry which faces closure. Tomorrow the Stags must be taken down in readiness for the Railwaymen on Saturday.

Time for JM to be bold and decisive, play up and play the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 10:54 - Mar 14 with 737 viewsweststandwolly

Portsmouth completely outplayed us on Saturday and were tactically fantastic.. They overloaded the right wing with RB,RM and CM to ensure Dickenson had to focus all his time on his defensive duties thus taking away our biggest threat... I think we could tell a number of our players looked jaded..

For me I'd like to see the following against Mansfield:

3-5-2

----------------------------Walker----------------------------------
------------James--------Elokobi---------Briggs----------------
KVY----------------------------------------------------Dickenson
--------------------Murray--------Lapslie------------------------
-----------------------------Szmodics------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------Pyke-------------Bonne-----------------------

KVY for drey who really struggled against Portsmouth... I like Drey and think he's technically a good player... However it's caught my attention that he "turns off" and lets his man run off him, maybe that's because he's not a defender but when we've got James alongside him we need a "proper defender" thus KVY should IMO start.

Garvan has looked knackered for weeks but against Portsmouth he couldn't even organise/track like he had been doing, certainly needs time off... I'd replace him with Murray tonight who looked ten times better when dropping deep in the last 10 minutes against pompey.. I'd tell Murray to sit deeper and control the game, let Lapslie do his thing and have Szmodics pushed further forward finding gaps behind the front 2.

Pyke and Bonne up top instead of Porter, whom again really struggled against Portsmouth, he looked leggy and I think we are in need of desperate fresh legs before Porter pulls up with something... Pyke looks direct, powerful and quick and Bonne is a natural goalscorer who gets into good positions.. Plus both can actually hold the ball up well anyway.

Now, thats my take on things but i'd imagine we will see the following:

-------------------------------------Walker--------------------------------------
-------------------James----------Elokobi-----------Briggs------------------
Wright--------------------------------------------------------------Dickenson
-----------------------------Lapslie---------Garvan---------------------------
-------------------------------------Murray------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------Pyke----------------Porter---------------------------

Either way, a must win tonight and 3 points will keep us in and around the spots.
Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 12:45 - Mar 14 with 722 viewsgerry_us

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 10:54 - Mar 14 by weststandwolly

Portsmouth completely outplayed us on Saturday and were tactically fantastic.. They overloaded the right wing with RB,RM and CM to ensure Dickenson had to focus all his time on his defensive duties thus taking away our biggest threat... I think we could tell a number of our players looked jaded..

For me I'd like to see the following against Mansfield:

3-5-2

----------------------------Walker----------------------------------
------------James--------Elokobi---------Briggs----------------
KVY----------------------------------------------------Dickenson
--------------------Murray--------Lapslie------------------------
-----------------------------Szmodics------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------Pyke-------------Bonne-----------------------

KVY for drey who really struggled against Portsmouth... I like Drey and think he's technically a good player... However it's caught my attention that he "turns off" and lets his man run off him, maybe that's because he's not a defender but when we've got James alongside him we need a "proper defender" thus KVY should IMO start.

Garvan has looked knackered for weeks but against Portsmouth he couldn't even organise/track like he had been doing, certainly needs time off... I'd replace him with Murray tonight who looked ten times better when dropping deep in the last 10 minutes against pompey.. I'd tell Murray to sit deeper and control the game, let Lapslie do his thing and have Szmodics pushed further forward finding gaps behind the front 2.

Pyke and Bonne up top instead of Porter, whom again really struggled against Portsmouth, he looked leggy and I think we are in need of desperate fresh legs before Porter pulls up with something... Pyke looks direct, powerful and quick and Bonne is a natural goalscorer who gets into good positions.. Plus both can actually hold the ball up well anyway.

Now, thats my take on things but i'd imagine we will see the following:

-------------------------------------Walker--------------------------------------
-------------------James----------Elokobi-----------Briggs------------------
Wright--------------------------------------------------------------Dickenson
-----------------------------Lapslie---------Garvan---------------------------
-------------------------------------Murray------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------Pyke----------------Porter---------------------------

Either way, a must win tonight and 3 points will keep us in and around the spots.

Glad to see someone else thinks Bonne should be in the team Wolly but don't hold your breath. His maximum involvement is likely max. ten minutes and normally when all is lost. Not sure what he has done within the club but his face obviously does not fit after what was an excellent introduction a couple of seasons ago. Suspect he will be out the door at the end of the season unfortunately. Would always favour him over Porter every day of the week. Probably the reason I'm not a manager!
Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 13:04 - Mar 14 with 715 viewsMoor_Pinot

On the other hand Gerry I think I'd liisten to your opinion, as well as Durham's and Wolly's clearly well informed one.
Durham states that our manager called the players naiive.
Given that he himself is a novice, a most unfortunate call.
I do hope he will read some of the poosts on here try summat a bit more creative in case he can pull a top 7 finish out of the bag - something I suspect we may just miss injuries and early season form as they are.
Up the U's.

Moor Pinot

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 19:04 - Mar 14 with 663 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's line up thus

Walker

James Elokobi Briggs

Wright Murray Lapslie Szmodics

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:01 - Mar 14 with 649 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 19:04 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Super U's line up thus

Walker

James Elokobi Briggs

Wright Murray Lapslie Szmodics

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Up the U's

Come on the U's

Pompey winning
Blackpool winning

We need an early breakthrough

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:04 - Mar 14 with 646 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:01 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Pompey winning
Blackpool winning

We need an early breakthrough

Plymouth losing

Three points essential tonight

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:05 - Mar 14 with 645 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:04 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Plymouth losing

Three points essential tonight

Up the U's

DICKENSON

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:05 - Mar 14 with 644 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:05 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

DICKENSON

Doncaster losing

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:09 - Mar 14 with 634 viewswessex_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:05 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

DICKENSON

For once, first scorer in the U'sual PL!

Come on Col U!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:13 - Mar 14 with 631 viewswessex_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:09 - Mar 14 by wessex_exile

Come on Col U!!!

Szmods!!!! 2-0 :-)

Up the U's

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:14 - Mar 14 with 626 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:13 - Mar 14 by wessex_exile

Szmods!!!! 2-0 :-)

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:17 - Mar 14 with 621 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:09 - Mar 14 by wessex_exile

Come on Col U!!!

Wessex I had Dickenson first scorer and 3-0 to the U's but I don't mind if we win 4 or 5 nil

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:18 - Mar 14 with 621 viewsgerry_us

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:14 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Come on

Up the U's

No lying down in a darkened room tonight Peter
Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:25 - Mar 14 with 619 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:18 - Mar 14 by gerry_us

No lying down in a darkened room tonight Peter

Gerry definitely not, enjoying this.

Crewe winning at Crawley

Grimsby rolling over at Pompey

Doncaster and Plymouth still losing

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:28 - Mar 14 with 610 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:25 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Gerry definitely not, enjoying this.

Crewe winning at Crawley

Grimsby rolling over at Pompey

Doncaster and Plymouth still losing

Up the U's

Pyke playing well, just needs a goal

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:44 - Mar 14 with 595 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:28 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Pyke playing well, just needs a goal

Up the U's

Exeter winning

Accrington Stanley winning with Billy Kee getting the goal.
Perhaps we might sign him in the closed season

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:59 - Mar 14 with 587 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:44 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Exeter winning

Accrington Stanley winning with Billy Kee getting the goal.
Perhaps we might sign him in the closed season

Come on

Goal difference could be important can we score a third

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:08 - Mar 14 with 580 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:59 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Come on

Goal difference could be important can we score a third

Pyke off Wynter on

JM definitely doesn't like Bonne

Still 2-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:12 - Mar 14 with 579 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:08 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Pyke off Wynter on

JM definitely doesn't like Bonne

Still 2-0

Up the U's

Wimbledon 2-0 against you know who

No love lost there

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:17 - Mar 14 with 574 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:12 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Wimbledon 2-0 against you know who

No love lost there

Plymouth equaliser, draw probably the best result

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:22 - Mar 14 with 573 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:17 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Plymouth equaliser, draw probably the best result

A clean sheet definitely needed

All about the three points

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:24 - Mar 14 with 572 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:22 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

A clean sheet definitely needed

All about the three points

Gerry, Bonne is getting 9 minutes

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:31 - Mar 14 with 570 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:24 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Gerry, Bonne is getting 9 minutes

Attendance 2,526

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:35 - Mar 14 with 568 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:31 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Attendance 2,526

Up to 9th

Three vital points

Now we must win at Gresty Road

Durham_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 21:39 - Mar 14 with 563 viewswessex_exile

Super U's need victory over the Stags to get us out of the rut on 20:17 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Wessex I had Dickenson first scorer and 3-0 to the U's but I don't mind if we win 4 or 5 nil

Up the U's

Fantastic, clean sheet and a regulation 3pts for the U's! Just what we needed after Saturday...

...and, Durham, I had 2-0 with Dickenson :-)

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024