Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? 09:56 - Jun 27 with 1417 viewsLeadbelly

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 09:57 - Jun 27 with 1415 viewsLeadbelly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40413087

Shrewsbury are looking into this. Should Col U do the same?

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 19:14 - Jun 27 with 1386 viewsthrillseeker

Have experienced safe standing in Germany and it is brilliant.
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 21:36 - Jun 27 with 1372 viewsnoah4x4

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 09:57 - Jun 27 by Leadbelly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40413087

Shrewsbury are looking into this. Should Col U do the same?

Not now at WHCS. The South Stand atmosphere is fine, and when we go away we have the reputation of being the noisiest per capita. Standing is just uncomfortable, the views of others get blocked, provokes other issues. No point in turning the back clocks. What other spectator sports have fans that demand that we stand?
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 21:33 - Jun 28 with 1333 viewsbwildered

Stadia is not owned by the football club, so is a non starter .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 13:26 - Jun 30 with 1282 viewsgerry_us

Used to love standing at the clock end at Layer Road on the wobbly concrete blocks but now have come to like all seated...probably now too old to stand!
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 20:02 - Jun 30 with 1268 viewswessex_exile

I personally don't see why not, given Shrewsbury's ground is virtually identical to WHCS, so if it's feasible there, it should be for us. I don't see it as an all or nothing option either, clearly from the report Shrewsbury are only proposing it for a restricted block of seats, leaving those who'd prefer to sit plenty of seats from which to do so. In reality, much of the back of the South Stand stand anyway, this would arguably make it safer for them to do so, and avoid incurring the wrath of over-zealous stewarding, though the latter is thankfully more or less becoming a thing of the past these days.

The real issue has already been touched upon, the ground is owned by the Council, so their permission is needed as well as the FA's, and of course who will pay for it? No doubt the Council will have also noted that at Shrewsbury the fans are chipping in to pay for theirs, so on the assumption RC might be reluctant, are enough of the U's faithful prepared to stump up £50-75k for the privilege?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 21:05 - Jun 30 with 1248 viewsnoah4x4

I sit centrally, one row from the back of the South Stand and have no desire to stand. To my (far) right near the drum, the youngsters already stand and the stewards are now tolerant. I have no objection to that as they are not obstructing my seated view. But as they already stand, why is the investment even necessary?
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 07:22 - Jul 1 with 1212 viewsLeadbelly

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 21:05 - Jun 30 by noah4x4

I sit centrally, one row from the back of the South Stand and have no desire to stand. To my (far) right near the drum, the youngsters already stand and the stewards are now tolerant. I have no objection to that as they are not obstructing my seated view. But as they already stand, why is the investment even necessary?

You wish to sit, others wish to stand. If all wishes could be accommodated I think that would be splendid, especially if sitters and standers no longer had reason to "disagree". The fact it would require expenditure, however, means it is dead in the water at Colchester.

Login to get fewer ads

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 08:20 - Jul 1 with 1204 viewsnoah4x4

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 07:22 - Jul 1 by Leadbelly

You wish to sit, others wish to stand. If all wishes could be accommodated I think that would be splendid, especially if sitters and standers no longer had reason to "disagree". The fact it would require expenditure, however, means it is dead in the water at Colchester.

Agreed, but as the youngsters continue to stand at the back of S1 and the stewards appear to tolerate this, I don't see this being an immediate issue as there is already provision (albeit unofficial and illegal). If the entire South Stand disobeyed the regulations, then action would be necessary. But a mere fifty people standing is hardly comparable with what happened at Hillsborough. The law must be respected, but applied with a lighter touch where safety isn't a problem. The higher H & S priority in my opinion is putting rails down the over steep steps.

What we don't want to do is promulgate the myth that stewarding is over enthusiastic etc. It once was, and there were a bundle of other teething problems when the stadium first opened. But since Christine (Ford (?) took over as supervisor it has been a joy. Stewards have applied common sense and act like hosts not policemen.
Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 21:51 - Jul 1 with 1188 viewswessex_exile

Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know? on 08:20 - Jul 1 by noah4x4

Agreed, but as the youngsters continue to stand at the back of S1 and the stewards appear to tolerate this, I don't see this being an immediate issue as there is already provision (albeit unofficial and illegal). If the entire South Stand disobeyed the regulations, then action would be necessary. But a mere fifty people standing is hardly comparable with what happened at Hillsborough. The law must be respected, but applied with a lighter touch where safety isn't a problem. The higher H & S priority in my opinion is putting rails down the over steep steps.

What we don't want to do is promulgate the myth that stewarding is over enthusiastic etc. It once was, and there were a bundle of other teething problems when the stadium first opened. But since Christine (Ford (?) took over as supervisor it has been a joy. Stewards have applied common sense and act like hosts not policemen.

That's the point Noah, at the moment standing is tolerated by the stewards, but as you quite rightly state, it's unofficial and it's illegal. An FA sanctioned safe standing area, say for example the rear 10 rows of S1 and S2, would be official, and it would be legal. I'm certain it would be safer than the current (non-compliant) arrangements, under which should an incident occur I'm sure the club would be exposed to considerable financial and business risk? I have no argument with the idea of rails on the steps, would be a very good idea in my opinion.

I know you know this, but it behoves me not to comment that 96 people didn't die at Hillsborough because of standing, they died because of criminally inadequate policing, compounded by poor stadium design, and of course the accursed fences. Too little too late, but I am personally glad that David Duckenfield finally faces charges over his actions (and inactions) on that terrible day.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024