Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 21:53 - Jan 30 with 2626 viewssaint22

The only winner tonight
VAR on 21:59 - Jan 30 with 1936 viewsdarthvader

C.unts

keep the faith coyr

VAR on 22:04 - Jan 30 with 1882 viewskingslandstand1

Especially when Mike Dean is looking at it, and Moss on the pitch
VAR on 22:20 - Jan 30 with 1828 viewscocklebreath

Ralph too nice as ever, I’d like him to go into the refs dressing room and knock out mason and the gimpy little linesman

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

VAR on 22:38 - Jan 30 with 1778 viewsinthebox

strange interpretation of the rules tonight, apparently if the ball hits a part of your body then hits your hand it's not hand ball, that means hypotheticaly you could take the ball with your chest then control it with your hand.
VAR on 22:49 - Jan 30 with 1758 viewscocklebreath

VAR on 22:38 - Jan 30 by inthebox

strange interpretation of the rules tonight, apparently if the ball hits a part of your body then hits your hand it's not hand ball, that means hypotheticaly you could take the ball with your chest then control it with your hand.

I don’t understand why the pundits didn’t question this rule? So it hits you on thigh which means you can then do the most blatant handball and it’s fine, ridiculous

VAR on 22:54 - Jan 30 with 1744 viewsdirk_doone

What you have to remember is that VAR is just another referee and tonight that was the worst referee we could possibly get, Mike Dean. We have lost so many games because of him over the years. Lee Mason and the linesmen were terrible too. That was about the worst team of officials we have ever had.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

VAR on 23:04 - Jan 30 with 1727 viewsSaintsforeverj

Is the problem VAR or is it the rules? It's not handball if the ball comes off another part of the body. What kind of stupid rule is that. Again, the video replay can be a help, if only the ref went to the screen to view the replay and apply common sense. The offside situation is rediculous. Ings body was behind the defence but not his sleeve. A player isn't offside if the ball touches a defender? Just crazy.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 23:08]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

VAR on 23:09 - Jan 30 with 1708 viewsdirk_doone

VAR on 23:04 - Jan 30 by Saintsforeverj

Is the problem VAR or is it the rules? It's not handball if the ball comes off another part of the body. What kind of stupid rule is that. Again, the video replay can be a help, if only the ref went to the screen to view the replay and apply common sense. The offside situation is rediculous. Ings body was behind the defence but not his sleeve. A player isn't offside if the ball touches a defender? Just crazy.

It supposedly brushed his thigh but the ball's course didn't change. Whether his thigh had been there or not, he still had his arm stuck right out and the ball still would have struck it. It was a ridiculous decision. That would have been a 100% nailed on penalty for any of the big six, with Mike Dean on VAR.

Ings wasn't offside. The freeze frame shows they drew the line after the ball had left the boot. It should have been a fraction of second before that and Ings was clearly onside. It's fairly arbitrary when they decide to stop the picture and draw the line. With Mike Dean making the decision, it was bound to go against us.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 23:13]

Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 23:11 - Jan 30 with 1699 viewskingslandstand1

VAR on 23:04 - Jan 30 by Saintsforeverj

As Kelly Dalglush said, the may as well wear Aussie Rules vests then!
What if the player was wearing a long sleeved shirt?
VAR on 23:13 - Jan 30 with 1685 viewsSaintsforeverj

VAR on 23:09 - Jan 30 by dirk_doone

It supposedly brushed his thigh but the ball's course didn't change. Whether his thigh had been there or not, he still had his arm stuck right out and the ball still would have struck it. It was a ridiculous decision. That would have been a 100% nailed on penalty for any of the big six, with Mike Dean on VAR.

Ings wasn't offside. The freeze frame shows they drew the line after the ball had left the boot. It should have been a fraction of second before that and Ings was clearly onside. It's fairly arbitrary when they decide to stop the picture and draw the line. With Mike Dean making the decision, it was bound to go against us.

In theory having a video replay should help the ref so I'm not sure if getting rid of VAR is the answer. But they are complicating it too much. A player could still deliberately handball it, even if it comes off another part of the body. I don't understand why they have that rule. Why can't we just have a simple rule - deliberate handball is a penalty. The ref goes to the monitor and decides if it is deliberate regardless of anything. Are we saying that the ball could bounce off a player's toe and then he is free to dive at the ball like the goalkeeper?
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 23:18]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

VAR on 23:13 - Jan 30 with 1685 viewskingslandstand1

For such a ridiculously close call it has to be to the attackers benefit of doubt
VAR on 23:48 - Jan 30 with 1630 viewsDorsetIan

I shrugged off the penalty - ridiculous decision but no worse than the one that won us the game at Brighton and plenty of time to still win.

Ings was inline. From pitchside the linesman made the wrong decision. The onscreen lines have always been really stupid, but the idiots in charge seem determined to ruin the game.

I wonder does any fan still support VAR?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

VAR on 00:34 - Jan 31 with 1600 viewscocklebreath

VAR on 23:48 - Jan 30 by DorsetIan

I shrugged off the penalty - ridiculous decision but no worse than the one that won us the game at Brighton and plenty of time to still win.

Ings was inline. From pitchside the linesman made the wrong decision. The onscreen lines have always been really stupid, but the idiots in charge seem determined to ruin the game.

I wonder does any fan still support VAR?

Shrugged it off? I couldn’t concentrate on the game afterwards as I was so furious.

VAR on 00:53 - Jan 31 with 1594 viewsericofarabia

VAR on 22:38 - Jan 30 by inthebox

Your last part virtually happened v Man City a few weeks ago at SMS. Sterling miscontroled the ball and it bounced off his thigh onto his hand. No penalty but without that handball he would have lost possession and a possible goal scoring opportunity for us.
VAR on 08:08 - Jan 31 with 1471 viewssaint22

What I don’t like is how they interpret the rule
If that happens edge of the box there is a case they were going for the ball and it’s bounced up and hit the arm
Right In front of the goal he moved his arm to deny a chance of scoring so it has to be a penalty

Having said that the coont dean and mason were always gonna lose us that game
Nuno deserves a knighthood for speaking out not fining
VAR on 08:26 - Jan 31 with 1451 viewsHeisenberg

Mason and Dean were shocking last night. Nuno got it spot on a few weeks ago. But bigger than that is VAR. I hated it when it came in and still do. It's sucking the life out of the game and ruins the whole live experience. Going mad when we score a goal and losing yourself in the moment of joy is what it's all about. Now it's ruined by someone sat in a bunker miles away who seem to be making it up as they go along. I'd rather lose by a decision that when I see the replay was wrong than continue with the farce that VAR has become.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

VAR on 10:38 - Jan 31 with 1379 viewsDorsetIan

VAR on 08:26 - Jan 31 by Heisenberg

Mason and Dean were shocking last night. Nuno got it spot on a few weeks ago. But bigger than that is VAR. I hated it when it came in and still do. It's sucking the life out of the game and ruins the whole live experience. Going mad when we score a goal and losing yourself in the moment of joy is what it's all about. Now it's ruined by someone sat in a bunker miles away who seem to be making it up as they go along. I'd rather lose by a decision that when I see the replay was wrong than continue with the farce that VAR has become.

I completely agree. But would say...

The idiot linesman flagged Ings off in real time.

The idiot ref didn’t award the pen either (although I suspect he would have, if VAR hadn’t been behind him).

VAR is, and always has been, utter sh1t. If they weren’t such spineless tossers, they would admit their massive balls up and go back to the drawing board (which would not involve drawing f*cking lines on a ZX Spectrum video game).

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

VAR on 10:51 - Jan 31 with 1357 viewsJaySaint

The officiating was terrible last night, the ref never gave the penalty and the lino flagged for offside

It was the type of officiating that if VAR never existed, it would have made a compelling case for referee assistance with video technology.

that worked out well......

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

VAR on 11:05 - Jan 31 with 1336 viewsgreen

VAR on 10:51 - Jan 31 by JaySaint

The officiating was terrible last night, the ref never gave the penalty and the lino flagged for offside

It was the type of officiating that if VAR never existed, it would have made a compelling case for referee assistance with video technology.

that worked out well......

I was thinking this as well, the on pitch referee and assistant decisions went against us as well.

Would there have been a better chance of getting a penalty if the referee had awarded it first time round, surely he's got to see the handball and then the VAR is less likely to correct him as it's not a "clear and obvious error"?
VAR on 12:26 - Jan 31 with 1264 viewsForeverred

VAR on 21:59 - Jan 30 by darthvader

C.unts

Is the rules now saying it’s ok to stop the ball with your hands while standing on the goal line to prevent a goal, as long as it’s comes off your knee first?. Also would mason have made the same call had cash been on the goal line?
VAR on 13:14 - Jan 31 with 1225 viewsdirk_doone

VAR on 12:26 - Jan 31 by Foreverred

Is the rules now saying it’s ok to stop the ball with your hands while standing on the goal line to prevent a goal, as long as it’s comes off your knee first?. Also would mason have made the same call had cash been on the goal line?

Looking at the video again, there isn't even any evidence that the ball did brush the defender's thigh. It went straight to his outstretched arm. It appears Mike Dean just made that up. He'd probably been waiting for the opportunity to show off on TV that he knew the new rule and thought, well it's only Southampton so if I thought I saw it, nobody will complain.

It was as a clear a penalty as you'll ever see. There wasn't even an element of doubt.

If we are all seething imagine how the players must have felt. It must have been difficult for them to concentrate after all the bad decisions that went against them and then to cap it all, Ward-Prowse got booked when he should have had a throw-in. Ward-Prowse just thought the Villa player was trying it on by taking it, so he went to get the ball from him. Then the linesman backed the Villa player and Lee Mason got out a yellow card.

They really were a totally inept bunch of officials.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 13:24]

VAR on 13:25 - Jan 31 with 1196 viewsHeisenberg

VAR on 13:14 - Jan 31 by dirk_doone

Looking at the video again, there isn't even any evidence that the ball did brush the defender's thigh. It went straight to his outstretched arm. It appears Mike Dean just made that up. He'd probably been waiting for the opportunity to show off on TV that he knew the new rule and thought, well it's only Southampton so if I thought I saw it, nobody will complain.

It was as a clear a penalty as you'll ever see. There wasn't even an element of doubt.

If we are all seething imagine how the players must have felt. It must have been difficult for them to concentrate after all the bad decisions that went against them and then to cap it all, Ward-Prowse got booked when he should have had a throw-in. Ward-Prowse just thought the Villa player was trying it on by taking it, so he went to get the ball from him. Then the linesman backed the Villa player and Lee Mason got out a yellow card.

They really were a totally inept bunch of officials.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 13:24]

I honestly think there was a decision to back Mason after criticism of his performances from number of managers and pundits. It was a stonewall penalty and there is no evidence the ball hits the defenders leg. I quite like watching rugby now and again. The ref and video ref are miked up so you can hear the discussion and the explanation behind the final decision. Why not do it in football or would this show up more incompetence.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

VAR on 13:28 - Jan 31 with 1192 viewsFrontwheeler

Good point mentioning the goal line.
I watched the never ending analysis of the issue. From one angle only it looked in real time a slight deflection but the hand was in an outstretched position.
If a ball was struck and hit a leg on the goal line then the hand / arm stopped a definite goal, what then? Rule still states no goal?
One step further, if the ball was deflected by another player is that not hand ball?
Mike Dean does seem to have issues with Saints and why did Lee "Aston Villa" mason not review the pitch side monitor?
VAR on 13:28 - Jan 31 with 1192 viewsdirk_doone

VAR on 13:25 - Jan 31 by Heisenberg

I honestly think there was a decision to back Mason after criticism of his performances from number of managers and pundits. It was a stonewall penalty and there is no evidence the ball hits the defenders leg. I quite like watching rugby now and again. The ref and video ref are miked up so you can hear the discussion and the explanation behind the final decision. Why not do it in football or would this show up more incompetence.

Yes, Lee Mason might have said, 'I didn't give it because I thought it brushed the defender's leg' to cover up for the fact that he didn't even see the hand ball when any competent ref should have done.

This is the angriest I've felt about a referee's performance since a game against Man United refereed by Mike Dean more than 10 years ago and, of course, the Maradona hand of God game.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 13:32]

VAR on 15:30 - Jan 31 with 1140 viewshedgeend61

That's what I was thinking, spins off your knee towards the net, stick your hand out,
palm it away, penalty and a sending off? No play on, new rules.

VAR wasn't even needed for that decision, it was a stonewall penalty first, second or 25th view to anyone but Mason, if he'd given it, no way would it have been overturned.
That would 100% be given at Anfield or OT.

The problem is they seem to be making up rules as they go along, at the time of the Man City offside goal against Villa (which Counted), BT studio ref Peter Walton said at the time, that will be disallowed for offside (It wasn't) then 2 weeks later he brings up some obscure rule as Mings played the ball, being 6 yards offside didn't matter

If Danny had scored with that part of his arm, would that have counted? Doubt it.
What was wrong when Romeu stood on the goal line and the keeper dropped it?,
never in a million years that was a foul.

Hands up, did anyone know of these new handball and offside rules?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024