Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill 21:40 - Feb 7 with 1340 viewsdurham_exile

Before we focus on tomorrow night’s game at Field Mill, there is an unsavoury incident to finalise. Corie Andrews was racially abused on Saturday. The Colchester bench clearly heard the abuse and reported it. A 59-year-old Orient supporter was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. However, he has since been release by the police without charge and is therefore free to attend Leyton Orient Football matches again.

I was at Barrow earlier in the season when Shamal George was also abused and my son reported a similar incident to the Tranmere Rovers public relations officer after our game at Prenton Park this included video evidence of the miscreant. The same result I am afraid, no further action taken.

Now the press and TV are quick enough to report these occasions but then nothing is done, it is extremely depressing and disappointing. Still, we move on. This is after all a Football forum.

Quite frankly the Super U’s have performed heroics during the past 4 games to secure 8 points from 12. There is a spirit that has emanated from the team recently and they are once again playing as a team, United you might say.

The 1000 or so that made the short journey to Orient witnessed a masterclass in securing an Away win with an early quality goal, but this was not followed by 86 minutes of defence. The U’s were looking to secure a second goal to give themselves some breathing space and were unlucky not to score a second or even third goal.
That of course is what the team are suddenly delivering. A coherent and proactive approach to games that is at last producing dividends.

Table selected positions:

6th Mansfield Town 27 45
20th COLCHESTER 28 30
Walsall 28 29
Carlisle 28 27
Oldham 27 22
Scunny 29 19

Now WB will be painfully aware that the injuries and COVID is still affecting the club with big John Akinde out of commission. It is of course hoped that Mrs Judge has safely delivered an addition to the Judge family and that Mother and baby are both doing very well.

Emyr Huws looks doubtful for Tuesday’s game and Ryan Clampin is also out long-term sick. Tom Dallison unluckily injured in the warm up at Brisbane Road is also doubtful.

Luke Chambers will be back after his two-game suspension, but Shamal George has one further game suspension to serve. However, Sam Hornby is playing like he will take some displacing from the team. The late save on Saturday was outstanding.

WB and his assistants will be hoping for another good result at Field Mill. Now this is going to be a really tough game. They are unbeaten in nine matches and are sitting in the play offs. Nigel Clough has also made two quality signings in Matty Longstaff and Jamie Murphy. But here’s the thing we have a decent record against the Stags with only one defeat in our last 13 meetings and that was at home. In fairness many of the games have been draws particularly at Field Mill, but I see no reason why we cannot look to win the game on Tuesday.

Now without getting the rose-tinted spectacles out the U’s have shown that they are capable of getting a result in these tough games. The pressure will be on the Stags to perform well whilst confidence is sky high amongst the U’s at present.

I will go further. We have 30 points with 54 more to play for. 70 points might just be enough to secure seventh place, which arguably is all we need to look for. Just another 40 points from 54. Not much if you say it quickly.

At 9.35 tomorrow evening we will know whether this is possible. Three points against the Stags will send out the right message that we mean business and that after the shocking start that we had the U’s are finally playing to their potential. Seventh place and WB and co will not only be offered the position but also could be Canonised into the bargain. One team every year reaches the play offs with momentum and goes on to secure promotion. Why not the Super U’s this year. In any event until it is mathematically impossible, we must believe.

12 more victories and 4 draws with just 2 defeats would do nicely. Impossible, certainly not. Let’s take one game at a time and see what happens. The mere fact that we have just taken 8 from 12 points suggest that we will not go down, so why not play for that top seven place.

There are plenty of games to play against relegation threatened teams (all 6 pointers) and then some eminently winnable mid table affairs and then some challenging top seven teams. The home match against FGR will prove the ultimate test but Northampton and Mansfield away offer stiff challenges too.

Remaining fixtures:
Mansfield A
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Hartlepool H
Oldham H
Orient H
PV H
Scunny A
Bristol Rovers A
FGR H
Tranmere H
Harrogate A
Stevenage H
Exeter A
Bradford H
Newport A
Walsall H
Hartlepool A

Coming back down to earth for a moment WB has a team to consider for tomorrow evening.

Changes are necessary but will be minimal. Hornby in goal easy, the back four Tchamadeu, Eastman, Chambers and the impressive Kenlock.

Midfield Kennedy plus Wiredu and Hannant.

Andrews, Wright and Sears in the forward positions.

Reasoning: George still out, Dallison out, Skuse could be injured, Chilvers injured, Huws injured, Clampin injured. Judge likely to be given some parental leave, Big John suffering from COVID.

So:
Hornby

Tchamadeu Eastman Chambers Kenlock

Hannant Wiredu Kennedy

Andrews Wright

Sears

Subs:
Collins Coxe Lowe Edwards Welch-Hayes Tovide Smith

When the six injured or COVID affected players return then we will have a really impressive team. All of which shows that the current squad of 30 is a strong one with strength in depth. Ryan Lowe really impressed me at St James’ Park and he will deserve some minutes soon from midfield.

Weather tomorrow at Mansfield will be 11 degrees Celsius, cloudy and dry. Incredibly mild for early February.

The match will either be a hard fought 0-0 draw or the result that I am going for is 3-2 to the super U’s and an absolute classic. Freddie Sears, who else to score, plus Corie Andrews and Luke Hannant to at last show more of his undoubted talent.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. I will be meeting up with Gerry the Cat and although we won’t see 1000 of the faithful, there could be 250 to roar on the U’s including Noah and Mr and Mrs Witham.

The game is also available on iFollow.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 21:56 - Feb 7 with 1328 viewsgerry_us

Great reporting Peter. Looking forward to my first game for some considerable time because of virus and a recent new hip. Will exercise it by jumping up and down with Durham berating the ref...as if!
Hope Sears and Eastman are playing because if not I won't recognise anyone and may not even determine which team is which!
Really looking forward to meeting with old friends and hopefully my being in attendance will not cause any hiccup in our current splendid form, consequently I am making no forecast of the score, just hope are able to continue or good form.
Peter...pie and coffee in the ground around 7.00? My treat and anyone else reading this and attending.
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 22:16 - Feb 7 with 1320 viewsburnsieespana

Super write up Durham.
Love your optimism but as you say, pretty much every season one team makes a late run getting into the final spot with a very late goal in the last game.
Don't think it has ever happened to us so why not this season and how wonderful it would be for us all and for RC.
Was going to say I would be happy with one point tomorrow but gotta be 3 if we are looking upwards!
Am hoping to make the FGR game.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 22:19]
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:28 - Feb 7 with 1285 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 21:56 - Feb 7 by gerry_us

Great reporting Peter. Looking forward to my first game for some considerable time because of virus and a recent new hip. Will exercise it by jumping up and down with Durham berating the ref...as if!
Hope Sears and Eastman are playing because if not I won't recognise anyone and may not even determine which team is which!
Really looking forward to meeting with old friends and hopefully my being in attendance will not cause any hiccup in our current splendid form, consequently I am making no forecast of the score, just hope are able to continue or good form.
Peter...pie and coffee in the ground around 7.00? My treat and anyone else reading this and attending.

Gerry looking forward to meeting up with you again. Will also hope to be inside the ground for 7pm.

Your attendance will only add to the splendour of the U's form.

Safe journey.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:33 - Feb 7 with 1281 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 22:16 - Feb 7 by burnsieespana

Super write up Durham.
Love your optimism but as you say, pretty much every season one team makes a late run getting into the final spot with a very late goal in the last game.
Don't think it has ever happened to us so why not this season and how wonderful it would be for us all and for RC.
Was going to say I would be happy with one point tomorrow but gotta be 3 if we are looking upwards!
Am hoping to make the FGR game.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 22:19]

burnsie - clearly a sense of perspective is needed but I do feel that at long last the team is beginning to gel.

Other teams go on long runs unbeaten why can't we. It is a few years ago now but we went 17 unbeaten. A repeat of that and the play offs beckon.

Looking at the fixtures the FGR home game looks to be a tasty fixture especially if we carry on our decent form.

Mansfield Away definitely a challenging fixture and they hated our last gasp equaliser at the JSCS, so plenty of needle in the game I reckon.

Enjoy the coverage.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:46 - Feb 7 with 1275 viewsnoah4x4

Excellent write up as ever Durham.

As a postscript to our Orient pub crawl we ended up in the company of a dozen Gillingham fans smarting from a defeat at Portman Road. They could not believe that Akinde got an 'assist' inside ten minutes of his debut. They used the adjectives, useless, slow, lumbering, cart-horse, donkey (yes, the last two not are normally used as an adjective).

Early meet for Mansfield. Brunch in the Dog & Unpleasant (food good, beer shit). Then CUSA bus up A1. Sober and brought back to earth I expect. Will be grateful for a solitary point, but who knows....
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 00:12 - Feb 8 with 1264 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:46 - Feb 7 by noah4x4

Excellent write up as ever Durham.

As a postscript to our Orient pub crawl we ended up in the company of a dozen Gillingham fans smarting from a defeat at Portman Road. They could not believe that Akinde got an 'assist' inside ten minutes of his debut. They used the adjectives, useless, slow, lumbering, cart-horse, donkey (yes, the last two not are normally used as an adjective).

Early meet for Mansfield. Brunch in the Dog & Unpleasant (food good, beer shit). Then CUSA bus up A1. Sober and brought back to earth I expect. Will be grateful for a solitary point, but who knows....

Noah interesting observations from the Gillngham fans.

I sometimes think that certain fans are very bitter when they "lose" a player.

Remember the negativity from Carlisle when they knew we had signed Shamal George.

It will be interesting to see how well Big Frank does at Brisbane Road.

In fairness while we have failed to get the best out of certain players that we had home grown and I won't mention a certain striker we are good at taking players and bringing out the best in them and I reckon we will achieve that with John Akinde.

Safe journey north tomorrow.

We have a decent record against Mansfield all the pressure is on Clough.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 07:05 - Feb 8 with 1231 viewsnoah4x4

A draw tonight and a win against Carlise will do nicely. But frankly, I don't have aspirations of promotion. I would simply welcome a few years of a team adequately competing in Division Two to be near play offs. Losing every week in higher divisions would just breed more fan acrimony that this club doesn't need. Look at where our terrible couple of years struggling in league Two has placed us. Stability is now critical. We first need to cement our place as a dependable league Two certainty. Constant relegation fights in any division simply cause fan divisiveness.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 7:09]
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 08:37 - Feb 8 with 1202 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The old Durham is back! This pleases me immensely! I want to hear how a team who three weeks ago had only won five league games all season is going to win 12 of the next 18! This is the kind of optimism we've come to expect. Lovely stuff.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 08:50 - Feb 8 with 1201 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 07:05 - Feb 8 by noah4x4

A draw tonight and a win against Carlise will do nicely. But frankly, I don't have aspirations of promotion. I would simply welcome a few years of a team adequately competing in Division Two to be near play offs. Losing every week in higher divisions would just breed more fan acrimony that this club doesn't need. Look at where our terrible couple of years struggling in league Two has placed us. Stability is now critical. We first need to cement our place as a dependable league Two certainty. Constant relegation fights in any division simply cause fan divisiveness.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 7:09]

I said on a different thread that we got in the habit in League One of being in relegation battles and ultimately ended up getting relegated. The most important thing next season is not to have a repeat of the last two. League Two stability is definitely needed right now. I think losing is a hard habit to break, look at Southend and Scunthorpe, but it can be done. Newport seemed to regularly battle relegation but in recent seasons have been in and around the play offs. If we can have a strong finish to this season and end up somewhere around mid-table that should give us a better springboard for next season. We're only three points behind Orient in 15th and seven points behind Harrogate in 11th. A lot of our squad are contracted beyond this season so unless a few leave I can't see there being many additions over the summer so the playing group should be pretty similar to the one that ends this season.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 10:56 - Feb 8 with 1180 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 08:37 - Feb 8 by RSCOSWORTH

The old Durham is back! This pleases me immensely! I want to hear how a team who three weeks ago had only won five league games all season is going to win 12 of the next 18! This is the kind of optimism we've come to expect. Lovely stuff.

RS - the principal difference between the two sides is new management.

But on the field we have made some impressive signings.

Akinde, Kenlock, Edwards. Andrews, Wright and Dallison have made a huge difference to the side in terms of quality, pace, commitment and work rate.

The team displays unison, effort and camaraderie which has been lacking.
What I am saying is that the team has been there but has been hidden behind a lack of management and indifference.

The transformation at Salford was tangible and this has been borne out by the garnering of the two drawn games and a very impressive win at Brisbane Road.

Tonight offers a very stiff challenge but my point is that the confidence coursing through the veins will produce the result that we require to keep the unbeaten run going and to set us up for the games to come.

I know that it is a tall order but sufficient games remain for us to secure a top seven finish which is what it is all about.

Frankly if we achieve 70 points, finish seventh, then we deserve a shot at promotion and who is to say that we won't manage this to give the faithful something to look forward to.

Get behind the team.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 19:14 - Feb 8 with 1083 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Mansfield: Hornby, Tchamadeu, Chambers, Smith, Kenlock, Kennedy, Wiredu, Hannant, Wright, Judge, Sears (three changes)

U's subs v Mansfield: Welch-Hayes, Coxe, Eastman, Cornish, Edwards, Andrews, Collins

mfb

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 19:23 - Feb 8 with 1079 viewsWitham

The Witham's are here. Had a meal in Pizza Hut.
Light wind but no rain
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 22:48 - Feb 8 with 960 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 19:23 - Feb 8 by Witham

The Witham's are here. Had a meal in Pizza Hut.
Light wind but no rain

Witham my regret is that we couldn't quite manage a draw.

Worst ref I have seen this season by far.

Safe journey home. I am staying in Clay Cross tonight.

Same old failings tonight expecting Sears to do it all alone. And then we bring Andrews on too late

WB must learn.

Plenty to write about tomorrow.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:06 - Feb 8 with 939 viewsmfb_cufc

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 22:48 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Witham my regret is that we couldn't quite manage a draw.

Worst ref I have seen this season by far.

Safe journey home. I am staying in Clay Cross tonight.

Same old failings tonight expecting Sears to do it all alone. And then we bring Andrews on too late

WB must learn.

Plenty to write about tomorrow.
Up the U's

WB must go. That performance tonight was no different to when Mullins was in charge.

mfb

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 06:19 - Feb 9 with 866 viewsthrillseeker

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 23:06 - Feb 8 by mfb_cufc

WB must go. That performance tonight was no different to when Mullins was in charge.

WB doesn't seem to have any tactical awareness.

I didn't like him as manager last season and my opinion has not changed.
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 07:52 - Feb 9 with 822 viewsnoah4x4

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 06:19 - Feb 9 by thrillseeker

WB doesn't seem to have any tactical awareness.

I didn't like him as manager last season and my opinion has not changed.

I disagree.

We were under the cosh in the first half from arguably the best team I have seen in League Two and a naive young Kennedy should have hauled down the goalscorer long before he ever reached a goalscoring opportunity range, hence taking a yellow for the team. We are too honest. Mansfield know how to play that game, and I agree with Durham, a shocking referee that repeatedly denied us any advantage. His decision to award a back pass when Chambers and Hornby were one yard from our goal line and merely two feet apart was outrageous. Chambers merely stopped the ball going in our net for Hornby to dive on it. What else were they expected to do?

Second half, the tactical changes WB made had significant impact. We then looked slick and competent except in the final third. We should have had a penalty when Tchamadeu was brought down. But we couldn't break them down. Sears and Andrews had little service because of cynical fouls before an 'assist' was made. We were simply twice caught by a very fast paced forward in a counter attack and we badly missed Chilvers, Huws and even Skuseless in midfield. Again, prior to their penalty the attacker should have been hauled down, but when forced to play 18 year old kids due to the absence of senior midfield players they don't yet have that nasty streak.

On the message boards, Mansfield fans describe us as "stubborn" and are full of praise for the 106 U's fans that sounded more like 500. This didn't feel like a routine U's despairing defeat. We battled and lost to a better team overall, but I agree with WB (and Mansfield fans) we were the more likely to score in H2, but they got a tad lucky on the break. We need to take the positives from this match and there were many and kick on with a win over Carlisle. Like against Swindon, we never gave up and came very close to a Desmond Tutu at the death.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 7:56]
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 08:52 - Feb 9 with 778 viewsthrillseeker

Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 07:52 - Feb 9 by noah4x4

I disagree.

We were under the cosh in the first half from arguably the best team I have seen in League Two and a naive young Kennedy should have hauled down the goalscorer long before he ever reached a goalscoring opportunity range, hence taking a yellow for the team. We are too honest. Mansfield know how to play that game, and I agree with Durham, a shocking referee that repeatedly denied us any advantage. His decision to award a back pass when Chambers and Hornby were one yard from our goal line and merely two feet apart was outrageous. Chambers merely stopped the ball going in our net for Hornby to dive on it. What else were they expected to do?

Second half, the tactical changes WB made had significant impact. We then looked slick and competent except in the final third. We should have had a penalty when Tchamadeu was brought down. But we couldn't break them down. Sears and Andrews had little service because of cynical fouls before an 'assist' was made. We were simply twice caught by a very fast paced forward in a counter attack and we badly missed Chilvers, Huws and even Skuseless in midfield. Again, prior to their penalty the attacker should have been hauled down, but when forced to play 18 year old kids due to the absence of senior midfield players they don't yet have that nasty streak.

On the message boards, Mansfield fans describe us as "stubborn" and are full of praise for the 106 U's fans that sounded more like 500. This didn't feel like a routine U's despairing defeat. We battled and lost to a better team overall, but I agree with WB (and Mansfield fans) we were the more likely to score in H2, but they got a tad lucky on the break. We need to take the positives from this match and there were many and kick on with a win over Carlisle. Like against Swindon, we never gave up and came very close to a Desmond Tutu at the death.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 7:56]

But isn't that the problem - WB reacted in second half when we were a goal down and chasing the game.

The initial tactics frustrate me - why play Sears as a lone striker and not play the system correctly but just hoof it up to Sears who has no chance against giant defenders and normally outnumbered 3-1.

It is also clear just like Mullins he has his favourites who are selected irrespective of form and kept on pitch irrespective of performance.

I really want WB to succeed but I am not convinced he is the right man for the job.

I do agree our youngsters are too honest but they will learn.

The decision to award a free kick for the pass pack was scandalous

A big game Saturday but I am confident of a win against Carlisle irrespective of my concerns.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 8:54]
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 10:55 - Feb 9 with 722 viewsburnsieespana

We had a bit of fun earlier with dreams but now we are back to reality of the relegation battle where because of results a number of teams have been dragged into it such as Walsall.
So long as we keep picking points up at the average rate of just over one a game we will be fine but maybe over 50 will be needed to be sure.
Saturday is a true 6 pointer.
Stags to be edged out by Super U's in classic encounter at Field Mill on 16:44 - Feb 9 with 619 viewsWitham

Speaking to a Mansfield fan in the car park after the game he thought that we had played some good football. It's always harder to judge from behind the goal and we did show some naievity at times.
But we did outsing them even if their "roll away" was the best tune so far this season. Well done to the wag who thought of the "you don't talk propee" chant
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024