Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags 23:52 - Feb 9 with 746 viewsdurham_exile

The disappointment last night was not only because of the result but also because all the old mistakes were reintroduced by Wayne Brown.

Namely relying on a single striker Freddie Sears to try to win through balls which were eaten up by the Mansfield Town defence, despite a tactical change at half time he failed to bring Corie Andrews on until the 82nd minute, failing to get the team to have a go until we were already 2-0 down and then we might have produced a desmond, but we ran out of added time.

Anyway, more of this later. Suffice to say that despite the fact that we were on a four-game unbeaten run the team were apparently content to allow the Stags to boss the first half. But if we can bottle the last 3 minutes of the game and sell it to the faithful, we would make a fortune. RC to note.

The weather yesterday was excellent for an early February day. I left home at lunchtime, and it was dreary with rain showers but travelling south along the A1 the weather picked up with 14 degrees and plenty of sunshine.

I arrived at my hotel early and chilled before travelling to Field Mill and a meet up with Gerry. Mansfield affords the supporters plenty of decent parking a short walk to the ground. I parked as normal at the station and walked past the shopping centre to the North Stand entrance where the faithful were beginning to gather. It was a good-natured wait whilst Stewards wrestled with the turnstile gates and eventually, we gained access to the Stadium.

Gerry kindly bought the pies and drinks. The Pukka meat and potato and leek and chicken pies were warm and well filled with decent ingredients. We sat inside the stadium to eat them and Gerry was horrified to learn that Tom Eastman was not in the starting XI. In truth he only really recognised Junior Tchamadeu and Freddie Sears from a side that has undergone a metamorphosis since the start of the year.

The Bishop Street “stand” still resembles a demilitarised zone and Gerry reckons it is more than 35 years since it was abandoned. In truth it is an embarrassment to the stadium which prides itself as the Oldest Professional Football stadium in the world.

The attendance was 4,815 of which 106 were from Colchester and were in excellent voice from the outset. The pitch apart from the edge of the pitch along the Ian Greaves Stand and the goal mouth was in good condition.

WB had set up defensively despite this being a ground where we hadn’t lost in 20 years and only one defeat in the last 13 games (and that was at home).

Team:
Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Smith Kenlock

Wiredu Kennedy Hannant

Judge Wright

Sears

Subs:
Eastman Andrews Edwards Collins MWH Coxe Cornish

Now Mansfield under Nigel Clough were aiming for a tenth game unbeaten. Clough was still fuming after the last-minute penalty equaliser for Sears at the JSCS earlier in the season. Now WB made the mistake of a defensive set up which allowed the Stags to take the game to us. Plenty of wing play, crosses and dangerous looking moves appeared to be trying to take the game away from us, but we contributed to our own downfall with lethargy at the back and a single ploy to play Freddie Sears in when surrounded by 6ft 2in defenders.

On 19 minutes and 19 seconds and following a U’s attack Rhys Oates picked up the ball just inside his own half and ran past three defenders and whilst Junior was backpaddling unleashed a shot from 25 yards which swerved and nestled in the bottom left hand corner giving Sam Hornby no chance.

Despite their apparent dominance Mansfield huffed and puffed but couldn’t breach the U’s defence any more before half time.

Now Darren Handley the referee should receive the Freedom of Mansfield after such a biased and “homer” performance. He was the worst referee I have seen this season and that includes Mike Dean!

Frankly we were given nothing. The biggest injustice of the half was on 35 minutes when the ball was played across the U’s penalty area and Akins (who was an absolute weasel throughout) stabbed the ball towards goal. As Sam Hornby went to gather the ball only three yards from the goal line Tommy Smith touched the ball and in doing so it travelled about 18 inches to the grateful Hornby and the referee adjudged it to be a back pass. At this stage Hornby must have felt that ref Handley was really Dr Beeching axing yet another branch line.

The indirect free kick was so close to the goal that the ref had to take it back to the 6-yard line in order to allow the Colchester team to stand with Hornby on the goal line. He then took almost 3 minutes to get everyone to line up and only when he was finished with this pedantic approach was the kick allowed to be taken. The ball was played back to former U’s legend John Joe O’Toole who blazed over the bar.

I was still seething at this injustice at the half time interval. Gerry and I enjoyed a sausage roll (which were very impressive great pastry and a lovely meaty filling) and Noah enjoyed a glass of red wine. It was universally agreed that WB had to change it up.

Gerry showed me the HT stats which indicated 11 shots to 1 in favour of Mansfield, but we had 57% of the possession. Incredible but true.

At the end of the game the possession was 50/50% with 12 shots to 7 in favour of Mansfield whilst the corner count was 5 to 4 in the home team’s favour.

And in fairness WB did make a change, but nowhere near enough.
Luke Hannant was sacrificed and Tom Eastman came on at HT. This allowed Tchamadeu and Kenlock to push up to wing backs whilst we played three at the back.

I was screaming for Corie Andrews to come on but appeals fell on deaf ears.
Still the U’s were now attacking the end where the vociferous faithful were gathered. Freddie Sears at last managed a shot from an acute angle but it only troubled the side netting.

The ineffectual Wright was replaced by Edwards on 64 minutes, but still now Andrews. We were at least pushing on towards the Stags goal and Clough somehow managed to make four substitutes in the second half.

Still the game remained at 1-0 and Mansfield were dropping deeper whilst we started to press more. Then on 82 minutes (what is it about Colchester teams and 82nd minute striker replacements!) Corie Andrews was introduced for the hard-working Gene Kennedy. At last, we had genuine pace and a second striker. But Andrews should have been on 20 minutes earlier.

Now the one thing which the ref did get right (apart from remembering to put his shirt and shorts on) was to add time on for the constant Mansfield time wasting and there were 7 minutes at the end of the game. At last, I felt that we would score an equaliser to shut Clough up.

However, on 90 plus 2 minutes the game was up as Clarke dived spectacularly over Eastman’s foot and Handley couldn’t wait to give the decision. So, 2-0 but then the U’s woke up.

Wave after wave of attacks followed and when the pacy and impressive Andrews was fouled to the right of the penalty area as we looked Alan Judge stepped up and hit a vicious dipping shot in off the far post and into the net. Brilliant. 96 minutes had elapsed, more play acting by the Stags allowed the ref to add a further two minutes on and so we had 3 minutes to fashion an equaliser. It was frantic and exciting in equal measure, but it was not to be. At the end of the game the emotion from the Manfield players suggested that they had just won promotion.

The disappointment was etched onto the faithful’s faces, but they applauded the players and WB. Let this be a lesson to the interim manager. We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Had he shown more attacking intent and brought on Corie Andrews earlier we would have secured a point in a game that said more about the need to move away from the old defensive ways and to a more positive attacking formation. We have just been doing this for the last four games so why revert to type?

Wins for Oldham and Scunny did nothing to improve the mood. But it was good to see Gerry and to chat to Noah.

Of course, last night was perhaps one of the tougher games left and so even a defeat could be afforded but we must still find those 12 wins.

Bring on the Cumbrians.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 19:41 - Feb 10 with 650 viewsgerry_us

Great report Peter and not much to add apart from the fact it was great to meet you and Noah again after what was a long time.
Thought I would play devil's advocate on the basis I refereed for thirteen years and became an assessor after retiring from the middle.
My report of yesterday's referee would read as follows.
Generally he was pretty mobile which generally helps with decision making.
A possible call for a U's penalty would almost certainly been awarded had VAR been present as the referee was almost behind an in line with the play which is not an ideal position to make the decision. Please though, no VAR.....I do not want to wait two minutes before celebrating a goal.
The awarding of an indirect free kick for a back pass was basically incorrect in any reading of the law. Not only was it incorrect referee, compounded the error by moving the free kick back to the six yard line when the "offence" occurred literally on the goal line.
Just cannot imagine how he would have managed that situation if the free kick had been correctly positioned.
The many stoppages for player injuries, especially in the head area is an unfortunate addition to referee's instructions to avoid serious injuries. Yes, it's bloody annoying especially yesterday but unfortunately it is the way of the world and referees cannot afford to be held responsible.
Not much to comment on Mansfield penalty. Too far away to see clearly but ref was right there and obviously decided that Eastman caught the player, end of story.
As to the referee being a homer? Once you get into a match and have to make decisions there is neither the time or intention of favouring the home team. My feeling is that the referee yesterday did not have a good night but was not helped by a lot of play acting from both teams but with Mansfield in the ascendancy.
General assessment therefore 5/10.  Probably needed to exert his authority at times when time was being deliberately wasted. Obviously four minutes for the back pass incident didn't help his cause.
Who'd  be a referee....oh I was.
Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 20:41 - Feb 10 with 635 viewsdurham_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 19:41 - Feb 10 by gerry_us

Great report Peter and not much to add apart from the fact it was great to meet you and Noah again after what was a long time.
Thought I would play devil's advocate on the basis I refereed for thirteen years and became an assessor after retiring from the middle.
My report of yesterday's referee would read as follows.
Generally he was pretty mobile which generally helps with decision making.
A possible call for a U's penalty would almost certainly been awarded had VAR been present as the referee was almost behind an in line with the play which is not an ideal position to make the decision. Please though, no VAR.....I do not want to wait two minutes before celebrating a goal.
The awarding of an indirect free kick for a back pass was basically incorrect in any reading of the law. Not only was it incorrect referee, compounded the error by moving the free kick back to the six yard line when the "offence" occurred literally on the goal line.
Just cannot imagine how he would have managed that situation if the free kick had been correctly positioned.
The many stoppages for player injuries, especially in the head area is an unfortunate addition to referee's instructions to avoid serious injuries. Yes, it's bloody annoying especially yesterday but unfortunately it is the way of the world and referees cannot afford to be held responsible.
Not much to comment on Mansfield penalty. Too far away to see clearly but ref was right there and obviously decided that Eastman caught the player, end of story.
As to the referee being a homer? Once you get into a match and have to make decisions there is neither the time or intention of favouring the home team. My feeling is that the referee yesterday did not have a good night but was not helped by a lot of play acting from both teams but with Mansfield in the ascendancy.
General assessment therefore 5/10.  Probably needed to exert his authority at times when time was being deliberately wasted. Obviously four minutes for the back pass incident didn't help his cause.
Who'd  be a referee....oh I was.

Gerry thanks for the expert clarification on the key decisions.

The indirect free kick and the U's non existent penalty which I failed to mention in my write up.

It was great to see you and I look forward to Glanford Park later in the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 21:39 - Feb 10 with 616 viewsthrillseeker

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 20:41 - Feb 10 by durham_exile

Gerry thanks for the expert clarification on the key decisions.

The indirect free kick and the U's non existent penalty which I failed to mention in my write up.

It was great to see you and I look forward to Glanford Park later in the season.

Up the U's

No one looks forward to Glandford Park .
Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 21:50 - Feb 10 with 612 viewsdurham_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 21:39 - Feb 10 by thrillseeker

TS you are absolutely right! It is a grim and forbidding place in truth.

For some years now the restaurant closest to Glanford Park has been the unofficial home of the AGM of the Exiles immediately prior to the Scunny match.

In fairness it is similar in membership numbers to the Monster Raving Looney Party AGM, although the members are all sane, well almost! Also we don't advocate introducing Crocodiles to the Thames! Yet!

Of course next year we will have to choose a different venue as we could be two leagues higher than the Iron.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 22:06 - Feb 10 with 606 viewsgerry_us

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 21:39 - Feb 10 by thrillseeker

Ahem! "The Sands Venue Stadium".
Doesn't have the same ring to it though.
Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 14:28 - Feb 11 with 510 viewswessex_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 22:06 - Feb 10 by gerry_us

Ahem! "The Sands Venue Stadium".
Doesn't have the same ring to it though.

The Exiles AGM venue - is that where me and my eldest boy Sam first met you Gerry?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 17:13 - Feb 11 with 482 viewsgerry_us

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 14:28 - Feb 11 by wessex_exile

The Exiles AGM venue - is that where me and my eldest boy Sam first met you Gerry?

That's the place Wessex. Hopefully it is still open, must check.
Are you travelling to Scunny?

Now called Old Farmhouse - Hungry Horse (Scunthorpe). Don't think it is regarded as a pub now but easy access for the ground.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2022 17:23]
Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 17:27 - Feb 11 with 475 viewswessex_exile

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 17:13 - Feb 11 by gerry_us

Now called Old Farmhouse - Hungry Horse (Scunthorpe). Don't think it is regarded as a pub now but easy access for the ground.

Probably unlikely, as I'm planning on the Brizzle Rovers match the following Tuesday, but it isn't completely ruled out yet.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 08:20 - Feb 12 with 444 viewsnoah4x4

Superb late, late come back by U's makes it a nervous finale for Stags on 17:13 - Feb 11 by gerry_us

Think that is the place where about five years ago I bought a round of five pints and got change from a £tenner. Moaning northerners will have a shock if "levelling up" does occur. We were paying £6 + a pint on our Walthamstow Mile pub crawl to and from Orient.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024