Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad 11:10 - Aug 23 with 2263 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

With the way all the bills are going and the lack of pay increases all I can see is money which I’ve worked hard for over the last 20 years slowly getting wiped out unless something changes dramatically

Tempted to sell the house and go abroad
Anyone got any experience in this and ideas of where to go to?

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 11:57 - Aug 23 with 2220 viewsraynor94

I don't think it's easy now since brexit, to move to Europe

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:09 - Aug 23 with 2202 viewsTogg

Well Keith has done it and seems to have fitted in well and acclimatised to the Spanish way of life.
We've been thinking of it for years. I've got 5 or so years left on the mortgage. We will need to make a little on the house if we decide to go full time. We are also looking into the idea of going part time. This would be the south eastern coastline of Malaga. However this is now one downside of now not being a Schengen country. If you apply for a non lucrative visa (which we would look at and means you basically retire) you have to,believe be able to show a worth of approximately 30ish thousand euros a year for two of you. I think this for about 5 years before you become a full time resident. If you do the part time bit you can only stay for a maximum 3 months at a time and a total maximum of 6 months of the year.
Why? Okay you have to remember you are going to live and not have a year round holiday. You would be surprised at the expats who end up with alcohol abuse problems, get bored and don't try and integrate. You will need plenty of interests and hobbies. Also advisable to spend a longer vacation first to see if you can actually live in a different culture. We owned a holiday home for 10 years and believe me they do things differently in Spain. Bureaucracy can be a nightmare . I remember receiving a tax demand for my garage door...yes a garage blinking door which was backdated.
For me the weather in the winter months, outdoor life, great reasonably priced food, wine and beer. People in the med countries tend to have better longevity. Way of life generally.
I can't comment if you are looking for work .
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 12:11]
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:13 - Aug 23 with 2182 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Depends on your resources, age and qualifications. If you have £300,000 for example you can get a golden visa in Portugal, if you are young and skilled Aus and NZ are looking for people.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 2176 viewsTogg

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:13 - Aug 23 by JACKMANANDBOY

Depends on your resources, age and qualifications. If you have £300,000 for example you can get a golden visa in Portugal, if you are young and skilled Aus and NZ are looking for people.

I think if you buy property worth over so much in Portugal and Spain you can also get a Golden Visa. I think the Spanish amount is quite high so would be out off most people's budget.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:20 - Aug 23 with 2175 viewsTogg

I think electricity is about the same in Spain. Fuel cheaper, groceries cheaper. Your urbanisation fee and Ayuntamiento fee (Townhall fee) a lot cheaper than rates you pay in the UK. Second hand cars more expensive.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:37 - Aug 23 with 2152 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:20 - Aug 23 by Togg

I think electricity is about the same in Spain. Fuel cheaper, groceries cheaper. Your urbanisation fee and Ayuntamiento fee (Townhall fee) a lot cheaper than rates you pay in the UK. Second hand cars more expensive.

Unemployment in Spain 14.5% so will be three times at hard to find a job. Probably Okay if you retired and not looking for work.
You will also have to pay for heath care in Spain or take out health insurance cost around £2000 a year.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 13:01 - Aug 23 with 2129 viewsTogg

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:37 - Aug 23 by felixstowe_jack

Unemployment in Spain 14.5% so will be three times at hard to find a job. Probably Okay if you retired and not looking for work.
You will also have to pay for heath care in Spain or take out health insurance cost around £2000 a year.

Yes unemployment especially amongst the young is a basket case in Spain and has been for years.. Also wages generally are lower.
About 12years back I looked at becoming an Autonomo self employed) and selling up early in the UK. However Los crisis/recession was worst in Iberia. Also being self employed you would have to pay £200 euros a month regardless if you made money or not.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 16:54 - Aug 23 with 2030 viewsKeithHaynes

Anyone interested drop me a shout.
What’s app 0034 662260206.

It can be done. Brexit isn’t that much of an issue.
If,you can afford a golden visa then fair play if you are more financially astute then it’s not too difficult.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 16:59 - Aug 23 with 2020 viewsKeithHaynes

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 12:09 - Aug 23 by Togg

Well Keith has done it and seems to have fitted in well and acclimatised to the Spanish way of life.
We've been thinking of it for years. I've got 5 or so years left on the mortgage. We will need to make a little on the house if we decide to go full time. We are also looking into the idea of going part time. This would be the south eastern coastline of Malaga. However this is now one downside of now not being a Schengen country. If you apply for a non lucrative visa (which we would look at and means you basically retire) you have to,believe be able to show a worth of approximately 30ish thousand euros a year for two of you. I think this for about 5 years before you become a full time resident. If you do the part time bit you can only stay for a maximum 3 months at a time and a total maximum of 6 months of the year.
Why? Okay you have to remember you are going to live and not have a year round holiday. You would be surprised at the expats who end up with alcohol abuse problems, get bored and don't try and integrate. You will need plenty of interests and hobbies. Also advisable to spend a longer vacation first to see if you can actually live in a different culture. We owned a holiday home for 10 years and believe me they do things differently in Spain. Bureaucracy can be a nightmare . I remember receiving a tax demand for my garage door...yes a garage blinking door which was backdated.
For me the weather in the winter months, outdoor life, great reasonably priced food, wine and beer. People in the med countries tend to have better longevity. Way of life generally.
I can't comment if you are looking for work .
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 12:11]

My mate round the corner gets all sorts of weird demands from the tax office. Easily managed once the language is sorted out. But it ain’t all roses that’s for sure. The amount of people here who are drunk most days is frightening. Even though there’s few British here, and from the ones Imknkw I would say well over half are functioning alcoholics. It’s quite sad.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 17:17 - Aug 23 with 2006 viewsbritferry

1295 came across the channel yesterday, so there are plenty of people looking for a new home

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 17:31 - Aug 23 with 1985 viewsswan65split

total gamble, I know someone who sold up , after a year his wife fell ill, no previous health issues,, they ended up coming back and had to down size their home , as they lost out in that time.

I had a chance 40 yrs ago to go, but didn't like the small print of the job offered, looking back I wish I had gone.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 17:31 - Aug 23 with 1982 viewsonehunglow

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 16:59 - Aug 23 by KeithHaynes

My mate round the corner gets all sorts of weird demands from the tax office. Easily managed once the language is sorted out. But it ain’t all roses that’s for sure. The amount of people here who are drunk most days is frightening. Even though there’s few British here, and from the ones Imknkw I would say well over half are functioning alcoholics. It’s quite sad.

We would have moved to Nerja as it’s a place that s magical for us .
Now the sewerage plant is up and running we re looking to return on June

We came close Keith,very close

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 21:30 - Aug 23 with 1900 viewsKilkennyjack

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 17:17 - Aug 23 by britferry

1295 came across the channel yesterday, so there are plenty of people looking for a new home

Where the Clandestine Channel bloke ?

This guy …

I thought we took back control in 2016…?

Beware of the Risen People

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 21:41 - Aug 23 with 1890 viewspencoedjack

I would do it in a heartbeat & have looked into it once I am retired, problem being the wife wouldn’t due to the grandkids.

Wales is turning into a shitehole & only going to get worse.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 21:41 - Aug 23 with 1890 viewsTogg

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 17:31 - Aug 23 by onehunglow

We would have moved to Nerja as it’s a place that s magical for us .
Now the sewerage plant is up and running we re looking to return on June

We came close Keith,very close

That's where we owned and would look to for the future, although I would keep an open mind.
It's grown as a town though but still kept it's Spanish feel. Great Tapas culture too. However it's quite pricey to buy and you would get far more for your money in other areas.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 21:49 - Aug 23 with 1879 viewsTogg

Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 16:59 - Aug 23 by KeithHaynes

It is sad Keith. Are most of these everyday drunks Spanish, as I've always thought the Spaniards didn't abuse alcohol in the way the North Europeans do? Don't get me wrong I like a beer and glass of wine but also keep reasonably fit.
Anyone else thinking of selling up and going abroad on 22:18 - Aug 23 with 1854 viewsbuilthjack

Patches, why not rent for 3 months and see how it goes. Keep your house until you are sure.
Plenty of places with a pool to rent for about 3 or 4 grand , furnished, for 3 months.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024