Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 12:47 - Oct 26 with 1136 viewsDavyC

Hi Shrewsbury Town Fan in peace.

I’m looking for help to solve a long standing family conundrum and after many years thought I’d start here. Firstly is there’s any common history between CUFC and CTFC?

My Grandmother was one of 12 children who lived with their parents in Colchester. (Butts Road)
Her family went on to run a sweet / confectionery shop there (Heads) and I believe it was demolished to make way for Royal London Head Office in the 60s

She married in 1918 and moved away initially to Lincoln then Shrewsbury. They had one son, my dad and all are long gone.

I’ve got in my position a photo of Colchester Town F.C. showing them as Winners South East Anglian League Cup 1906-7. It was in an envelope with Great Grand-Dad ? On the front. No idea if he was a player but trying to find out the history of CTFC and wonder if anyone has any information? His surname was Head.

https://imgup.app/jok84

Thanks in anticipation Andy

[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 13:50]
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 13:39 - Oct 26 with 1092 viewsthrillseeker

I have passed your message on to Graeson Laitt who is like the club historian in the hope he can help.

The building you refer to on Butt Road is now called Wellington House.

I hope we can help you
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 15:51 - Oct 26 with 1042 viewsDavyC

Thanks for that.
Will he have access to my e mail (admin can give it to him)? I’ll check on here too.

Good luck with the rest of your season but if any older fans remember Heads Sweet shop on Butts Road I’d be interested
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 17:17 - Oct 26 with 1030 viewsmfb_cufc

History of Colchester Town, taken off Wiki.

Colchester Football Club was established in October 1873 as an association football club. In 1876 the club resolved to change to rugby union rules, but played under both codes for a season, and were subsequently founder members of the Essex FA in 1882. They were the first winners of the Essex Senior Cup, defeating Braintree 3—1 in the final. In 1890 Colchester Excelsior merged into the club. The club played in the Colchester Borough League, which they won in 1894—95 but then withdrew at the end of the season. In 1899 the club was renamed Colchester Town and entered the North Essex League, in which they played for two seasons, winning it in both. They returned to the Borough League in 1901.

Despite almost folding after losing their ground in 1902, they finished as runners-up in 1902—03, by which time the league had been renamed the Colchester & District League. At the end of the season they also joined the South East Anglian League, which they played in until 1910, winning it in 1906—07. The following season they won the Colchester & District League. In 1910 they joined the South Essex League, continuing to play in the Essex & Suffolk Border League (as the Colchester & District League had been renamed in 1911), and also rejoined the East Anglian League (formerly the South East Anglian League) in 1912. In 1912—13 they were champions of all three leagues, and retained the East Anglian League title the following season.

After World War I the club left the East Anglian League, but continued to play in the South Essex and Essex & Suffolk Border leagues. In 1921 they left the South Essex League, but the following year they joined the Middlesex League, winning it in their only season. In 1923—24 the club won the Border League, and a year later joined the Spartan League. In 1935 they were founder members of the Eastern Counties League. Two years later they left to establish the Essex County League. However, Town's poor performances in the ECL had convinced supporters that the club should turn professional like nearby Ipswich Town. Officials at the club were against the idea, resulting in a new professional club, Colchester United, being formed in March 1937, which would also play at Layer Road. United joined the Southern League and crowds at Town matches quickly dwindled. In December United formed a reserve team, signing many Town players. As a result of this and financial problems (the club were £300 in debt), they folded in the same month.

mfb

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 09:22 - Oct 27 with 987 viewsDavyC

Thanks I’ve seen that.
The question is do CUFC see CTFC as part of their early history?
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 09:44 - Oct 27 with 967 viewswessex_exile

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 09:22 - Oct 27 by DavyC

Thanks I’ve seen that.
The question is do CUFC see CTFC as part of their early history?

I can’t speak for others, but personally no. The only connection between the two is that we (briefly) shared the same ground, until CTFC folded later in the same 37/38 season that CUFC was formed. I have seen sources that claim we were originally called ‘The Oystermen’, but this is wrong - that was Town’s nickname.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 09:49 - Oct 27 with 963 viewsburnsieespana

DavyC having supported Colchester United since 1956 have never considered us as being connected in any way to the original Colchester Town.
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 10:07 - Oct 27 with 961 viewsnoah4x4

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 09:49 - Oct 27 by burnsieespana

DavyC having supported Colchester United since 1956 have never considered us as being connected in any way to the original Colchester Town.

…….nor with any proposals to become Colchester City.

Utter waste of money driven by the egos of the left wing loonies on the council. Being the Romans first City and Britains oldest town offered everything. Even the rusty metal elephant at the mainline rail station points in the wrong direction to the “town centre”.
CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 10:51 - Oct 27 with 951 viewsDavyC

We’ve had the same regarding city status. Rather be a pretty ‘county town’ especially since Wrexham have become a city.

( for those that have forgotten Wrexham were once a league club and are the longest serving club in the National League)
Login to get fewer ads

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 13:13 - Oct 27 with 938 viewsdurham_exile

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 10:51 - Oct 27 by DavyC

We’ve had the same regarding city status. Rather be a pretty ‘county town’ especially since Wrexham have become a city.

( for those that have forgotten Wrexham were once a league club and are the longest serving club in the National League)

DavyC - I see you are having a decent season in League 1 and that you are knocking on the top six positions.

Also your crowds are decent.

I used to live in Telford in the days when Shrewsbury were playing at the Gay Meadow.

I have been to your new stadium once when we lost to you in the league cup

Your stadium is also a mirror image of ours.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and if we can ever sort out our Gremlins we might see you in League one again.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

CTFC South East Anglian League Winners 1906/7 on 19:38 - Nov 1 with 772 viewsKJD

Hi Andy
Just picked up a message on the official board pointing me to your message. I don't use football message boards very much these days and wasn't previously registered on this one.

If you want to make contact I can probably help. I've done a lot of research on Town, one of my gt-grandfather's brothers was a prominent player either side of WW1, and I've contributed several articles to the club programme in the past. I've got a 1906-07 team group so be interested to see if it's the same one. It's sounds like it may not be because mine is taken during the season.

The quick (legal) answer to your question about Town & United is no apart from the U's starting life as tenants at Town's Layer Road ground. However had the Town committee not been so adamant that they wanted to continue entering the Essex Senior Cup, and the Essex FA not been equally adamant they couldn't if there was a professional team within the same club, the set up might have been different - and more akin to up the A12 where a year earlier a professional first team was incorporated into the existing amateur club.

Regards

Kevin
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024