Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 11:58 - May 16 with 2136 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Apologies in advance if this is loosely deemed as 'Advertising' but l did run it past the administrators prior to registering. I have been working on a follow up to 'Made in Colchester' for quite a while now. We had COVID and then l had a few other things to contend with.

Because of the 'other things' l thought it best to get some of the work we have being doing into the public domain ( should l not make the finishing post ), as l think some of you may be interested in the content.

I have a poor signal here in CO1 but the first release of the 'work in progress' is on You Tube entitled 'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1.

I think this could be the earliest film footage of proceedings at Layer Road as it dates to March, 1948.

The process for putting the clips together that could range between a few seconds to half hour chunks will just be recorded by me in a loft on my phone in front of a screen, and hopefully several screens in tandem when l sort Ariel's out.

All best wishes, Ray.

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 05:56 - May 17 with 2047 viewsnoah4x4

Great stuff Ray, it’s is a fascinating view on YouTube and of value to any U’s fan.

It’s testimony to the immediate post-war times (1948) that the majority of male fans are still wearing demob suits and (probably) army issue trench coats. My dad still looked like that at football in the 1960’s. No wonder you dress as you do being surrounded by this nostalgia 😂.

Your “should I not make the finishing post” is obviously a reference to your health scare over Christmas (you will know who I am now!). We all wish you better times ahead, keep taking the pills and we urge and encourage you to finish this project, even if you can’t get the buy-in of the club.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 10:32 - May 18 with 1989 viewswessex_exile

I was surprised also by how many women seemed to be at the game, more than I would have expected from an archive reel of that era.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 12:50 - May 18 with 1975 viewsbwildered

Colchester United
Line-up
1. Harry Wright
2. Albert "Digger" Kettle
3. Bob Allen
4. Harry Bearryman
5. Ted Fenton
6. Andy Brown
7. Denis Hillman
8. Bob Curry
9. Arthur Turner
10. Fred Cutting
11. Len Cater
Goalscorers
Goal
Fred Cutting.
Goal
Fred Cutting.
Coaching staff
Ted Fenton - Manager

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 17:35 - May 18 with 1940 viewsSparkfilmsTV

As the footage featured in the match against Chelmsford City is from March 1948 it is not the first film to be recorded at Layer Road. It is possibly the first independently made but preceded by Pathe News and Movietone who covered the incredible cup run during the 1947 / 48 season. I still have that on file somewhere as we paid ITN Source for the use in 2008.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 12:03 - May 19 with 1896 viewsbwildered

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 12:50 - May 18 by bwildered

Colchester United
Line-up
1. Harry Wright
2. Albert "Digger" Kettle
3. Bob Allen
4. Harry Bearryman
5. Ted Fenton
6. Andy Brown
7. Denis Hillman
8. Bob Curry
9. Arthur Turner
10. Fred Cutting
11. Len Cater
Goalscorers
Goal
Fred Cutting.
Goal
Fred Cutting.
Coaching staff
Ted Fenton - Manager

What I find rather strange is the lack of merchandise outside the ground . Given that only a month before the much publicised cup run finished, and although March, cannot see any rosettes, scarfs, hats or rattles in abundance.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 12:07]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 20:10 - Jun 2 with 1763 viewsSparkfilmsTV

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 12:03 - May 19 by bwildered

What I find rather strange is the lack of merchandise outside the ground . Given that only a month before the much publicised cup run finished, and although March, cannot see any rosettes, scarfs, hats or rattles in abundance.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 12:07]

Have just put 'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 3 up on You Tube. We are flying 1,500 feet above a Championship match against Sheffield United on a windy Saturday afternoon, hence some camera judder.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 08:02 - Jun 19 with 1610 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Hoping to unleash Parts 4 and 5 shortly.

I have another major project on at the moment which is taking up a lot of my time.

I was fortunate enough to be involved at the beginning of Iron Maiden. We are working on a new book and film that tracks things back to Day One ( best we can ).
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 19:31 - Jun 21 with 1468 viewsSparkfilmsTV

We are up and running with Part 4 and Part 5 of 'The Layer Road Experience'. So it's a quick climb up to the television gantry to visit the guys from Sky Sports and ITV Sport then a visit to the ticket office pre kick off. This was a Tuesday during February '08 where we filmed for 10 hours virtually non stop. Preston North End were the opposition. Colchester United 2 Preston North End 1.
Login to get fewer ads

'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 21:26 - Jul 16 with 1353 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Part 6 has just been added on YouTube. It is half time in the evening match against Preston North End and we have been given access to the office where we were charging batteries for the cameras.

This presented a rare opportunity to film the office staff as the clock ticks round to quarter to nine.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 21:16 - Jul 19 with 1291 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Part 7 is filmed in the commentary box and features Dave and Ronnie from Colchester Hospital Radio together with the guys from BBC Lancashire.

This piece was also part of the 10 hours of filming that we did for the match against Preston North End.

Part 8 is shot from a rooftop behind the main stand at around 7.30.

We filmed in all weather conditions throughout the 2007 / 08 season. For the Preston match in February we were blessed with the most glorious day.

This was not the case for the Hull City match that was postponed after a deluge that saw us get drenched.

Nor for a Southend United reserve match that was played in driving rain.

That was the afternoon when we filmed the ground from the rooftop of Wellington House in Butt Road which was quite dangerous as we were sliding on seagull residue.

I might include some of that footage in future clips as it could be deemed as 'The Layer Road Experience' for seagulls and features the floodlights in the gloom.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 16:29 - Jul 24 with 1192 viewsSparkfilmsTV

One of the most rewarding aspects of having a Layer Road film archive is taking screen grabs and emailing them to the players and individuals featured.

I finally tracked down footage this morning that features Alan Dennis, Phil Bloss, Roy Massey and possibly Brian Sharratt.

The four of them are sitting on the bench on the half way line with Dennis Mochan and the genius known as Dick Graham in close proximity.

There always seems to be something magical in the cine footage from the sixties and seventies.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 11:16 - Jul 31 with 1092 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Parts 9,10, 11 and 12 complete the first series of 'The Layer Road Experience' and are now available as a complete string of clips that last around 17 minutes. Google search for this is 'The Layer Road Experience Youtube'.

Part 12 features Matt Hudson on the morning of our final Championship match of the 2007/08 season at 8.30am.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 13:18 - Aug 21 with 920 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I was kindly given a crate of Colchester United football programmes a few weeks ago and can confirm from the information provided that the film footage that is shown on 'The Layer Road Experience' - Parts 1 and 2, that was located by Godfrey Thomas from a loft during 2007 had been the property of his father Arthur Thomas.

This is quite significant as Arthur Thomas was the Secretary of Colchester United Supporters' Club in the late 1940's, when it was the largest in Britain. There were 16,000 paid-up members of the club at the height of its success!

Some of these programmes are from the modern era and there is some very interesting content included.

It is noticeable how the career of players at Colchester United, and most likely at many other club's, is much shorter in the modern era. Players appear and some are off the radar within a handful of appearances in the first team. This should be a cause for concern as it puts a question mark on much of the recruitment, especially over the past 8 seasons where the revolving door has gathered speed at an alarming rate.

I notice from content in one of the programmes that Paul Roberts was made captain of Millwall at just 18! Paul has lost nothing of his leadership skills as l witnessed last summer. Colchester United would have benefited from a Paul Roberts type on the pitch for the latter stages of the Milton Keynes match, or better still, for the entire duration of the match.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 14:00 - Oct 23 with 692 viewsSparkfilmsTV

We have a trickle of viewers for 'The Layer Road Experience' ( Parts 1 to 12 ) on YouTube and l am happy for it to rest in the shadows to be discovered as and when.

I have been asked to make a 25 second promo featuring part of a very unusual soundtrack and will be hiring some lighting for this assignment.

Will release the test piece on Sparkfilms TV in the coming weeks. Won't be to everyone's taste but fun to produce.
'The Layer Road Experience' - Part 1 on 17:56 - Oct 29 with 574 viewsSparkfilmsTV

One of my Grand Daughters has started up a Tik Tock account in the past couple of months.

I don't think she will ever bother to look at anything on Sparkfilms TV but l think she has an ideal subject in Kurt Cobain. She has had over two million accumulative views on her page with some innovative editing.

One video short has someone making a Kurt Cobain sandwich.

The concept and the production process is rapid!

I might be able to access a back catalogue of 500 videos featuring Peter Doherty.

Perhaps l should hand them over to her.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024