Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's up and running tonight against the Dons 18:49 - Aug 15 with 2868 viewsdurham_exile

Before we focus on the first home game of the season against the Dons this evening let’s just relive a couple of moments from the weekend match at Valley Parade.

Now a few facts included not to excuse the result but to put things into context. After the weather intervention that forced the Swindon postponement the U’s spent 20 hours in their coach travelling to Cardiff and then to Bradford. They played 105 minutes at Cardiff and 118 at Bradford.

Perhaps unlucky not to have shaded the game in the Welsh Capital, the suspension for three matches of Samson Tovide has hit the club hard.

More though was the defeat at Bradford where in the first half the U’s ran the Bantams ragged and should have been two goals to the good before the referee managed to find 9 additional minutes at the end of the first half.

BG lined up:
Goodman
Lawrence Dallison Hall
Tchamadeu Bandeira Read Iandolo
Chilvers
Hopper Taylor

Subs:
Hornby Kazeem Février Jay Ihionvien Akinde Greenidge
Bandeira off Fevrier on 65 mins
Hopper off Akinde on 65 mins
Taylor off Ihionvien on 75 mins
Iandolo off Jay on 84 mins
Dallison off Greenidge on 85 mins

The U’s started well out of the blocks and Taylor was very exciting to watch. Pacy, inventive, hard working and a real live wire. He deserved his goal and was aided by the classy Bandeira.

However, Arthur Read was undoubtedly the best player on the field. His challenges were spot on and his distribution to either wing was impressive.

Nico Lawrence is pacy and gets forward well, unfortunately on occasions he can be caught out of position and then sprints to get goal side of the attacker.

I thought Hall was a little ponderous on the ball particularly second half. Chilvers worked hard but lacked the killer pass when well placed.

That brings us to Junior Tchamadeu. Now I really don’t know what the situation is at Stoke. They either want him or not and will either part with £1.5m or not. I suggested on Saturday that he should be left on the bench because however hard he tries to suggest otherwise he wants to go and we didn’t see any of those lung busting runs on Saturday that we saw in abundance last season and he should have scored as well.

Our signing from Charlton Mandela Egbo (eligible to play tonight) suggest that Junior will be going this week.

Mark Hughes was clearly under pressure and was rightly booked for his behaviour in the first half. Of course, once they took the lead he was sweetness and light.

So, another defeat at Valley Parade and a game that like last season we dominated for long periods but could not turn our superiority into goals.

Tonight, brings AFC Wimbledon under Johnnie Jackson and with Harry Pell in their ranks to the JCS.

Let’s go with:

Goodman

Egbo Dallison Hall

Lawrence Badeira Read Iandolo

Chilvers

Akinde Taylor

Subs
Hornby Kazeem Greenidge Hopper Ihionvien Fevrier Jay

Weather will be dry, 20 degrees Celsius and sunshine

Score Col U 2 Wimbledon 0
Taylor and Bandeira

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 23:10 - Aug 15 with 824 viewsCrashBandicoot

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 22:47 - Aug 15 by RSCOSWORTH

Can I just say we are two games into a 46 game season. Two. If we’d won the first two no one would be saying we’re going to win the league would they? I’m shocked at the negativity I’m reading on here tonight. Wimbledon were the better team on the night for sure but there are plenty of positives to take from our performance and also a few things that need addressing. It’s the 15th of August, there’s such a long way to go, keep the faith people.

I agree in a way as I remember 1994-95 when after 4 straight league defeats then lost 1 in the next 15 with 9 wins and eventually finished 10th and 2003-04 where we lost the first three and then won 9 from 15 and lost another 2. But BG really needs to sort things out, get the team playing to their strengths or he needs to leave. Then maybe we could look at a Steve Evans type manager.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 23:12 - Aug 15 with 821 viewswessex_exile

Can I just say we are two games into a 46 game season. Two. If we’d won the first two no one would be saying we’re going to win the league would they? I’m shocked at the negativity I’m reading on here tonight. Wimbledon were the better team on the night for sure but there are plenty of positives to take from our performance and also a few things that need addressing. It’s the 15th of August, there’s such a long way to go, keep the faith people.

I'm not disagreeing RS, and I do have the faith, but tonight was poor. We have a huge amount of talent in our squad but they've got to learn to play the game that Ben Garner wants. When we get it right, we'll be unstoppable, but the next test is Saturday, not much time.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 23:53 - Aug 15 with 787 viewsburnsieespana

Understand what you say but we were promised a top 6 budget along with top drawer signings but we have got a load of young loan players meaning we are not Street wise in this oh so tough division.
I accept situation around Junior is not good for either him or the club and expect the sagavto drag until deadline day.
If we have a top 6 budget we need to bring in some experience to balance the youth, in my opinion.
I am not surprised we have been unable to sign a decent striker as they are like gold dust.
U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 08:28 - Aug 16 with 727 viewspwrightsknees

Bring back Humes?
U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 713 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Listened with interest to what Ben Garner had to say after last night's 'no show' against Wimbledon.

Very refreshing to hear some straight talking for once.

He is a different breed from some of his predecessors over the past ten years or so.

The situation regarding Junior is clearly becoming a massive distraction. This should be a matter of urgency and l would hope the club can bring this saga to a rapid conclusion now so Ben Garner can have a clearer vision of the shape of the side.
U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 09:28 - Aug 16 with 702 viewsthrillseeker

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 08:53 - Aug 16 by SparkfilmsTV

Listened with interest to what Ben Garner had to say after last night's 'no show' against Wimbledon.

Very refreshing to hear some straight talking for once.

He is a different breed from some of his predecessors over the past ten years or so.

The situation regarding Junior is clearly becoming a massive distraction. This should be a matter of urgency and l would hope the club can bring this saga to a rapid conclusion now so Ben Garner can have a clearer vision of the shape of the side.

I thought he missed something really important in his interview which was he has to take some blame for that performance.

Totally agree the Junior situation needs resolving quickly as it was clear last night he had no interest in playing for us despite his nice media comments in local press
U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 11:49 - Aug 16 with 666 viewsLeadbelly

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 08:28 - Aug 16 by pwrightsknees

Bring back Humes?

It seems the Humes disease has yet to be eradicated from the club. Deep clean of Florence Park required as a matter of urgency.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 12:51 - Aug 16 with 645 viewsSparkfilmsTV

According to last night's programme ( Page 3 ) 'Director of Football' - Tony Humes.

We know different.

Let's not have one at all!

STOP PRESS. Well played England Ladies. 😊😊😊
Login to get fewer ads

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 14:38 - Aug 16 with 607 viewsCrashBandicoot

Humes influence seems to hang around like a bad smell.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 16:38 - Aug 16 with 580 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The last time we lost our first two games of the season we went on to finish 2nd with 79 points so maybe it's a bit too early to be making any rash judgements.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 18:26 - Aug 16 with 564 viewsburnsieespana

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 16:38 - Aug 16 by RSCOSWORTH

The last time we lost our first two games of the season we went on to finish 2nd with 79 points so maybe it's a bit too early to be making any rash judgements.

Love your optinistim but the last few seasons jave been trying, to say the least and being once again a young side I fear for our future.
U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 23:11 - Aug 16 with 470 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday against MK Dons is already a must win game.

I am afraid that we are settled into the normal early season malaise.

On Tuesday night Taylor battled hard, Nico Lawrence looked capable and Jaydon Fevrier showed some good skill.

Sorry to say the others all had an off night. The fans deserve better.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 10:27 - Aug 17 with 415 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's up and running tonight against the Dons on 23:11 - Aug 16 by durham_exile

Saturday against MK Dons is already a must win game.

I am afraid that we are settled into the normal early season malaise.

On Tuesday night Taylor battled hard, Nico Lawrence looked capable and Jaydon Fevrier showed some good skill.

Sorry to say the others all had an off night. The fans deserve better.

Up the U's

Sorry durham but there are no "must win games" in August. In fact must win games are very few and far between despite what people suggest.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024