Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse 22:46 - Aug 18 with 2088 viewsdurham_exile

Can it really be that all that pre-season enthusiasm and hope has already dissipated after a defeat on penalties and two leagues defeats. Perhaps that Home match with Swindon that was rained off proved too costly for the U’s with the opportunity for an opening day win to pass us by.

Look let’s get real we are only two games in and 44 more to play. However, another defeat on Saturday and we will be staring down the barrel before the month of August is out. After all next weekend sees the local derby against the Gills at the Priestfield.

All the more reason to perform well against the Dons tomorrow. Interestingly at Bradford last weekend and during the first half when quite frankly we were far and away the better team, an elderly supporters behind me said “that’s the best I’ve seen Colchester play for many years.” Last season we were also the better team and succumbed to two late goals from the home side at Valley Parade.

But on Tuesday night we were abysmal. Wimbledon didn’t have to be at their best to win but even then the excellent Joe Taylor grazed the post with a classy shot from the edge of the box and Big John missed when well placed. In truth he should have scored.

Ok let's get the moaning out of the way – Chilvers was absolutely hopeless. He is talented but I am reminded what one of the Colchester stalwarts told me a couple of seasons ago at Barrow. Too much showboating, no challenges and he believes all the hype and thinks he is the next Grealish.

Connor Hall has also been poor. Perhaps he misses his mate Chambers and Kells, but he has been indecisive and lacking in confidence.

Nico Lawrence I like, he is strong on the ball and good going forward. Similarly, I like Bandeira and Read, the latter has been outstanding . But we are lacking a strong midfield player and that has to be our priority.

Jaydon Fevrier is also good on the ball and good going forward. We have missed Samson Tovide and at least he will be back for the Gillingham game. He is young and skilful on the ball and must be paired with Joe Taylor as a strike force.

Now it won’t be long before Fiacre Kelleher is back. He has been missed and now we are going to be without the unlucky Ellis Iandolo for about 8 weeks following surgery on an ankle.

“Nelson” Mandela Egbo has been brought in at right back, but all we learned on Tuesday night is that he can be booked for the most senseless of incidents when moving the ball forward after having been warned by the referee.

Then there is Junior. Stoke City are prevaricating at present. Perhaps they are rethinking their financial situation and are reluctant to part with £1.5m. But the damage has been done, Junior’s head has been turned and he is keen to move on regardless of what he might say. Also, we need to the money to fund other purchases. It is a mess. Maybe Blackburn will buy him to link up with Sammy Szmodics.

So, Junior’s situation to be sorted soonest, a quality midfielder to come into the side and get Samson back after he has served his ridiculous suspension. Finally sort our Noah Chilvers so that he can put in the sort of performances that Ben Stevenson used to for the club. Right moan over.

So, MK Dons are in town led by Graham Alexander and smarting from a defeat to unfashionable Crawley. They have Tommy Smith and Alex Gilbey in their line-up with the dangerous Mo Eisa (a sound investment, you would bank on him to score etc, etc).

After all this who does BG select. He has nailed his colours to the Goodman mast but it can’t be long before Tom Smith plays. He is an excellent goalkeeper.

Team:

Goodman

Lawrence Dallison Hall

Tchamadeu Bandeira Read Fevrier

Chilvers

Akinde Taylor

Subs:
Hornby Greenidge Egbo Hopper Kazeem Ihionvien Jay

Frankly on paper the team looks decent and the players have plenty of experience between them.

The arrival of a decent midfielder to play alongside Bandeira and Read is overdue and the return of Tovide alongside Taylor and we then have a good side to compete in this league.

Can BG get them to perform. After all it is early days and the league is still settling down.
The weather is set fair tomorrow with 25 degrees Celsius and dry conditions with a light breeze. Perfect for football.

Score line. Colchester to get their season up and running with a 3-1 victory and a brace for Taylor plus one for the excellent Read.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 08:41 - Aug 20 with 447 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 07:46 - Aug 20 by thrillseeker

A painful watch from 85 minutes onwards as we just collapsed

We sat in W8 for a change of scenery and we were stunned at how quiet our defence is. There is no clear communication which then leaves us open and under attack.

I have to wonder about BG's tactical knowledge as some of his decisions not only yesterday but in other games have bemused me.

Our defending is appalling and yes last ditch tackles/ blocks look good but our overall shape leaves huge gaps for the opposition to get in numerous crosses. We need to eliminate these spaces to prevent crosses and the need for these numerous last ditch tackles/blocks.

The positive was we looked much better than Tuesday but in all honesty that was not hard to achieve.

TS - what concerned me was BG's admission that the team was too youthful.

He knows his squad or should do.
We have 41 players in the squad more than half are youngsters.

But why did we collapse after 85 mins.

I think it was a mistake to take Taylor off on 88 mins.

Everyone is agreed that we need more experience in the midfield and perhaps another striker.

However Dallison's injury will leave us light at the back.

Grim times at present indeed.

The only way is Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 09:16 - Aug 20 with 424 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 08:41 - Aug 20 by durham_exile

TS - what concerned me was BG's admission that the team was too youthful.

He knows his squad or should do.
We have 41 players in the squad more than half are youngsters.

But why did we collapse after 85 mins.

I think it was a mistake to take Taylor off on 88 mins.

Everyone is agreed that we need more experience in the midfield and perhaps another striker.

However Dallison's injury will leave us light at the back.

Grim times at present indeed.

The only way is Up the U's

It's going to be a tough season if we continually have to play teams above us in the league!i
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 13:08 - Aug 20 with 381 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 09:16 - Aug 20 by gerry_us

It's going to be a tough season if we continually have to play teams above us in the league!i

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024