Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse 22:46 - Aug 18 with 2090 viewsdurham_exile

Can it really be that all that pre-season enthusiasm and hope has already dissipated after a defeat on penalties and two leagues defeats. Perhaps that Home match with Swindon that was rained off proved too costly for the U’s with the opportunity for an opening day win to pass us by.

Look let’s get real we are only two games in and 44 more to play. However, another defeat on Saturday and we will be staring down the barrel before the month of August is out. After all next weekend sees the local derby against the Gills at the Priestfield.

All the more reason to perform well against the Dons tomorrow. Interestingly at Bradford last weekend and during the first half when quite frankly we were far and away the better team, an elderly supporters behind me said “that’s the best I’ve seen Colchester play for many years.” Last season we were also the better team and succumbed to two late goals from the home side at Valley Parade.

But on Tuesday night we were abysmal. Wimbledon didn’t have to be at their best to win but even then the excellent Joe Taylor grazed the post with a classy shot from the edge of the box and Big John missed when well placed. In truth he should have scored.

Ok let's get the moaning out of the way – Chilvers was absolutely hopeless. He is talented but I am reminded what one of the Colchester stalwarts told me a couple of seasons ago at Barrow. Too much showboating, no challenges and he believes all the hype and thinks he is the next Grealish.

Connor Hall has also been poor. Perhaps he misses his mate Chambers and Kells, but he has been indecisive and lacking in confidence.

Nico Lawrence I like, he is strong on the ball and good going forward. Similarly, I like Bandeira and Read, the latter has been outstanding . But we are lacking a strong midfield player and that has to be our priority.

Jaydon Fevrier is also good on the ball and good going forward. We have missed Samson Tovide and at least he will be back for the Gillingham game. He is young and skilful on the ball and must be paired with Joe Taylor as a strike force.

Now it won’t be long before Fiacre Kelleher is back. He has been missed and now we are going to be without the unlucky Ellis Iandolo for about 8 weeks following surgery on an ankle.

“Nelson” Mandela Egbo has been brought in at right back, but all we learned on Tuesday night is that he can be booked for the most senseless of incidents when moving the ball forward after having been warned by the referee.

Then there is Junior. Stoke City are prevaricating at present. Perhaps they are rethinking their financial situation and are reluctant to part with £1.5m. But the damage has been done, Junior’s head has been turned and he is keen to move on regardless of what he might say. Also, we need to the money to fund other purchases. It is a mess. Maybe Blackburn will buy him to link up with Sammy Szmodics.

So, Junior’s situation to be sorted soonest, a quality midfielder to come into the side and get Samson back after he has served his ridiculous suspension. Finally sort our Noah Chilvers so that he can put in the sort of performances that Ben Stevenson used to for the club. Right moan over.

So, MK Dons are in town led by Graham Alexander and smarting from a defeat to unfashionable Crawley. They have Tommy Smith and Alex Gilbey in their line-up with the dangerous Mo Eisa (a sound investment, you would bank on him to score etc, etc).

After all this who does BG select. He has nailed his colours to the Goodman mast but it can’t be long before Tom Smith plays. He is an excellent goalkeeper.

Team:

Goodman

Lawrence Dallison Hall

Tchamadeu Bandeira Read Fevrier

Chilvers

Akinde Taylor

Subs:
Hornby Greenidge Egbo Hopper Kazeem Ihionvien Jay

Frankly on paper the team looks decent and the players have plenty of experience between them.

The arrival of a decent midfielder to play alongside Bandeira and Read is overdue and the return of Tovide alongside Taylor and we then have a good side to compete in this league.

Can BG get them to perform. After all it is early days and the league is still settling down.
The weather is set fair tomorrow with 25 degrees Celsius and dry conditions with a light breeze. Perfect for football.

Score line. Colchester to get their season up and running with a 3-1 victory and a brace for Taylor plus one for the excellent Read.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 06:02 - Aug 19 with 1602 viewsnoah4x4

You are ever the optimist Durham. I need to be prescribed whatever medication you are on.

After Tuesday’s abysmal performance, I’m glad I have another three Saturdays of cricket to distract me while Garner attempts to sort this out. Other than brief highlights, I saw none of the allegedly encouraging pre-season and so far, Wimbledon has been my only 2023-24 live league experience. Tuesday was arguably worse than anything I have suffered as a fan in recent times. No effort, no fight, lackluster. Why should fans pay good money to watch that shite?

Frankly, I don’t know the solutions and continue to be bewildered by the club’s decline over the last decade. At least Humes can no longer have influence. However, I’m not convinced that BG should select Chilvers and Tchamandeu. Instead, assume they have already gone. They might as well be absent given their attitude. Put Tom Smith between the sticks until Goodwin stops spilling shots. Exeter knew Jay was past his best, but we got suckered into signing him.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear Nil points in August and another season of zero hope.
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 14:12 - Aug 19 with 1545 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI:

Goodman

Egbo Dallison Hall

Tchamadeu Lawrence Read Fevrier

Chilvers

Taylor Ihionvien

Subs

Smith Greenidge Jay Bandeira Newby Kazeem Thomas

Great to see Tom Smith on the bench

Now I'm not sure whether it is 3,4,1,2 or 4,3,1,2 (essentially whether Egbo plays Right back and Lawrence in Midfield).

But is Akinde injured or dropped and Hopper similarly.

Bandeira is a good player, so I hope that he has not been blamed for Tuesday's fiasco.

On the front foot from the start and get the ball to Taylor.
Bring Chilvers back down to earth and let Bradley Ihionvien see plenty of the ball.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:11 - Aug 19 with 1507 viewsdurham_exile

A poor start
Eisa puts the Dons 1 up

Come on lots to do

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:12 - Aug 19 with 1506 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:11 - Aug 19 by durham_exile

A poor start
Eisa puts the Dons 1 up

Come on lots to do

Up the U's

Joe Taylor outstanding

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:15 - Aug 19 with 1499 viewsdurham_exile

I don't care how much he costs get him signed up.

Joe Taylor is simply outstanding..

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:37 - Aug 19 with 1467 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:15 - Aug 19 by durham_exile

I don't care how much he costs get him signed up.

Joe Taylor is simply outstanding..

Up the U's

In other news Wrexham are losing to Swindon 4-1. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:50 - Aug 19 with 1454 viewsdurham_exile

Come on the Super U's

Push for that third goal.

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 15:55 - Aug 19 with 1446 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic moments at times in the first half from the commentary, shows what Garnerball can bring us. Referee weak, and Eisa should be off the pitch.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 16:35 - Aug 19 with 1424 viewsdurham_exile

Delighted for the U's today. Come on we want three.

In other news the onerous Wrexham are losing 5-3 now.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 16:54 - Aug 19 with 1415 viewsdurham_exile

Equaliser from Gilbey
Come on the U's

Dons don't deserve that late equaliser
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 16:57]

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 17:06 - Aug 19 with 1393 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 16:54 - Aug 19 by durham_exile

Equaliser from Gilbey
Come on the U's

Dons don't deserve that late equaliser
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 16:57]

I don't believe it

Absolute shite

Now 3-2 to the Dons

More than 10 minutes additional time
Shocking

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 17:10 - Aug 19 with 1386 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 17:06 - Aug 19 by durham_exile

I don't believe it

Absolute shite

Now 3-2 to the Dons

More than 10 minutes additional time
Shocking

12 additional minutes and a 3-2 defeat.

Shocking.

Certainly did not deserve that.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 17:23 - Aug 19 with 1355 viewsCrashBandicoot

We just can't win a game right now esp after throwing away a 2-0 lead against Franchise FCV, I'm seriously losing hope for this season...

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:01 - Aug 19 with 1312 viewsburnsieespana

I am seriously worried as another dreadful season beckons.
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:12 - Aug 19 with 1302 viewsdurham_exile

Keep the faith.

Samson Tovide back next week to partner Taylor.

Sadly another injury this time to Dallison.

I would however question taking Taylor off in the 88th minute.

Difficult game at Gillingham next week.

Still Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:22 - Aug 19 with 1295 viewsburnsieespana

Beginning to look like a big mistake letting Eastman and Chambers go.
Not sure Dalliaon has ever played a full season because of injuries.
We have less than w2 weeks to sort the team out by bringing in some good signings. We need no.more boys but men which we found out a few seasons back.
Wonder what it was that caused Tony Humes to go?
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:33 - Aug 19 with 1289 viewsCrashBandicoot

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:22 - Aug 19 by burnsieespana

Beginning to look like a big mistake letting Eastman and Chambers go.
Not sure Dalliaon has ever played a full season because of injuries.
We have less than w2 weeks to sort the team out by bringing in some good signings. We need no.more boys but men which we found out a few seasons back.
Wonder what it was that caused Tony Humes to go?

I would say a likely disagreement between TH and BG caused the former to go. Either that or he got sick of the fans constantly getting on his case.
As far as the team goes we need discipline in defence and midfield with 2 or 3 new signings in those areas and a new striker to arrive in place of one of our shot shy ones.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 18:34]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:47 - Aug 19 with 1273 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:33 - Aug 19 by CrashBandicoot

I would say a likely disagreement between TH and BG caused the former to go. Either that or he got sick of the fans constantly getting on his case.
As far as the team goes we need discipline in defence and midfield with 2 or 3 new signings in those areas and a new striker to arrive in place of one of our shot shy ones.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 18:34]

Hi Crash Bandicoot - I agree that three signings are needed but where are they coming from.

We have missed Tovide and it will be good when Kelleher is back.

Was Akinde injured today I wonder?

Anyway grim times again.

We just have to win at the Priestfield next week.

Up the U's
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 19:31]

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:53 - Aug 19 with 1260 viewsdurham_exile

Have just watched the goals.

Tom Smith needs to start in goal next week.

Goodman should have saved two of those.

Oh well, another week to get things sorted out.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 19:11 - Aug 19 with 1247 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 18:47 - Aug 19 by durham_exile

Hi Crash Bandicoot - I agree that three signings are needed but where are they coming from.

We have missed Tovide and it will be good when Kelleher is back.

Was Akinde injured today I wonder?

Anyway grim times again.

We just have to win at the Priestfield next week.

Up the U's
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 19:31]

Akinde and Hopper both injured apparently, according to the commentary.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 19:39 - Aug 19 with 1224 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 19:11 - Aug 19 by wessex_exile

Akinde and Hopper both injured apparently, according to the commentary.

Thanks Wessex.
Very disappointed with the result and the manner of the goals.

Did Gilbey ever score a goal like that for us?

Onwards and upwards for next week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 20:17 - Aug 19 with 1206 viewsbwildered

Side now needs to play for 100 mins plus. Team got leggy in the final quarter and has the game slowed so did we, although we had fresh legs on, perhaps the leveller upset concentration thereafter.
Goodman the best keeper in the squad. Taylor needs regular partner at the top end, hopefully Tovide can be that in the future.
Already on catch-up football before the end of August ! Let’s hope not keeping a lead is not a regular omen, if so we are in trouble.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 20:26 - Aug 19 with 1201 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 20:17 - Aug 19 by bwildered

Side now needs to play for 100 mins plus. Team got leggy in the final quarter and has the game slowed so did we, although we had fresh legs on, perhaps the leveller upset concentration thereafter.
Goodman the best keeper in the squad. Taylor needs regular partner at the top end, hopefully Tovide can be that in the future.
Already on catch-up football before the end of August ! Let’s hope not keeping a lead is not a regular omen, if so we are in trouble.

bwildered I am of the opinion that Tom Smith is a better keeper.

However we are not clinical enough in the final third and that underpins all our problems.

Much better today and did not deserve to lose but next week is our most difficult game of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 22:13 - Aug 19 with 1132 viewsoxfcolu

Nothing changes.
Super U's to make the Dons an offer they can't refuse on 07:46 - Aug 20 with 1060 viewsthrillseeker

A painful watch from 85 minutes onwards as we just collapsed

We sat in W8 for a change of scenery and we were stunned at how quiet our defence is. There is no clear communication which then leaves us open and under attack.

I have to wonder about BG's tactical knowledge as some of his decisions not only yesterday but in other games have bemused me.

Our defending is appalling and yes last ditch tackles/ blocks look good but our overall shape leaves huge gaps for the opposition to get in numerous crosses. We need to eliminate these spaces to prevent crosses and the need for these numerous last ditch tackles/blocks.

The positive was we looked much better than Tuesday but in all honesty that was not hard to achieve.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024