Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today 12:02 - Sep 16 with 1672 viewsdurham_exile

After last week’s impressive performance against Tranmere, BG is preparing his charges for today’s game against unbeaten Mansfield Town. Now last season I went to both games against the Stags and considered that we were unlucky to lose both matches which were tight affairs.

Frankly we owe the Stags big time for recent close encounters and today offers the chance to dent their promotion ambitions whilst strengthening our credentials.

It is unlikely that we will line up against both Elliott Hewitt and John-Joe O’Toole but Mansfield have strength in depth within their squad. Nigel Clough will not want to be beaten but I feel that the rejuvenated U’s will win and by 3-1 with Joe Taylor again on the scoresheet with the previously underachieving Noah Chilvers weighing in with a long-distance effort and Jayden Fevrier doing his growing reputation no harm with the third.

So, what team will BG start with. I think it is a relatively easy choice with the following starting at the JCS:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Fevrier McGeehan Read Kazeem

Chilvers

Tovide Taylor

Subs
Smith Greenidge Bandeira Mingi Akinde Thomas Ihionvien

Notwithstanding our burgeoning injury list the team looks to be the most promising to secure our third win in four matches.

Table:

Top Seven.
Notts Co 8 17
Gillingham 7 15
Mansfield 7 13
MK Dons 7 13
Swindon 6 12
Crewe 7 12
Wrexham 7 12

Bottom Seven.
Salford 8 7
FGR 7 7
COL U 6 6
Harrogate 7 6
Tranmere 7 3
Sutton 7 3
Doncaster 7 2

Next week we will have played four of the current top seven teams and so can begin to judge our form against the early season pace setters.

Weather today in Colchester will be 23 degrees Celsius and partly sunny with some cloud. It has been a better week here in the North than forecasted and having been Away on the school residential for the week with one day spent walking in the Lake District in 20 degrees of sunshine, I am ready to face the challenges of listening to the U’s (this absolute nonsense about not screening games at 3pm on a Saturday unless you live abroad must stop it is senseless). Fortunately, I will be at Crewe next week so not subject to this draconian rule.

OK so here are eight reasons why we will prevail against the Stags today:

We are long overdue a victory against them.

The team are beginning to show the quality and promise that we all felt at the start of the season and recent signings have only strengthened the squad further.

In Joe Taylor we have one of the best strikers in the lower leagues.

Jayden Fevrier is an impressive winger and provider of chances.

Is there a better midfield player in League Two than Arthur Read.

Zach Mitchell looks to be the next Rio (Pat Baldwin) for the U’s.

Cameron McGeehan has added some much-needed steel in the centre of the park.

In Bradley Ihionvien we have the super sub of the League and in time BG will play Tovide, Taylor and Ihionvien as a front three.

Mansfield will probably bring 600 or so today so let’s get behind the team and will them to victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 14:06 - Sep 16 with 1617 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman
Egbo Mitchell Hall
Chilvers
Tovide Taylor

Subs
Smith Bandeira Mingi Akinde Nelson Thomas Ihionvien

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 15:33 - Sep 16 with 1579 viewswessex_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 14:06 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman
Egbo Mitchell Hall
Chilvers
Tovide Taylor

Subs

Up the U's

Taylor again - he's on fire! 1-0 to the Mighty U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 15:33 - Sep 16 with 1579 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 14:06 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman
Egbo Mitchell Hall
Chilvers
Tovide Taylor

Subs

Up the U's

Super Joe Taylor

1-0

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 15:51 - Sep 16 with 1562 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 15:33 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

Super Joe Taylor

1-0

HT
1-0
Deserved

So far so good.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 16:54 - Sep 16 with 1522 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 15:51 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

HT
1-0
Deserved

So far so good.

Up the U's

91st minute equaliser

Disappointing that we couldn't see out the victory.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:00 - Sep 16 with 1515 viewswessex_exile

That sucks, thoroughly deserved the win today. But, still an excellent performance across the park, plenty of positives to build on.

Up the U's

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:19 - Sep 16 with 1489 viewsMoor_Pinot

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 16:54 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

91st minute equaliser

Disappointing that we couldn't see out the victory.

Up the U's

Am sure many of us were expecting that finale Durham. We just can't do it can we!
Some progress - long long way to go.
Up the somewhat predictable but at least aspirant U's.

Moor Pinot

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:42 - Sep 16 with 1470 viewsnoah4x4

On reflection, probably a fair result, albeit I do feel that we could and should have won this. Sadly, Samson Tovide doesn’t seem to know where the goal is, else we might have scored four. How many more incredibly good chances will he squander?

Mansfield are clearly a very solid team and I would have taken a point before the game. Others seem to be carried away by blind optimism.
Login to get fewer ads

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:46 - Sep 16 with 1466 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Gutted. Only one team deserved to win today and they were wearing blue and white stripes. Typically poor refereeing and an unfortunate slip meant that once again we go home with less points than we deserved. We have to take our chances when on top in these games.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 18:26 - Sep 16 with 1437 viewsburnsieespana

Shame we didn't get 3 points but can't complain as went for 1-1 before.
Ironical to see Salford now below us do apart from his bigger pay packet wonder what Ashley is thinking.
Going to be a very competitive season me thinks with any team able to beat another.
Does seem BG starting to get us better organised.
Must be a good chance of a decent result next Saturday if we can keep playing lime the last couple of games.
Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 18:29 - Sep 16 with 1436 viewswessex_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:42 - Sep 16 by noah4x4

On reflection, probably a fair result, albeit I do feel that we could and should have won this. Sadly, Samson Tovide doesn’t seem to know where the goal is, else we might have scored four. How many more incredibly good chances will he squander?

Mansfield are clearly a very solid team and I would have taken a point before the game. Others seem to be carried away by blind optimism.

Not blind optimism at all Noah - we were demonstrably the better team today. Mansfield dominated possession, but for more than 90 minutes we were comfortable with that and prevented them from doing anything with it. In the meantime, a bit like last Saturday, we carved out more than enough chances to completely bury them. I will agree, again like last Saturday, we didn't take those chances, and when you hold a slender 1-0 lead you are always going to be vulnerable to just one slip-up. I'd have taken a point before kick off, but post-match we deserved all three.

Up the U's

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 18:45 - Sep 16 with 1432 viewsWitham

Surely the positive has to be that we demonstrated consistency in our performances. No more wondering which team will we be watching - Jekyll or Hyde.
Keep this up and promotion beckons.
Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 19:02 - Sep 16 with 1415 viewsbwildered

Sadly two points dropped today. Did more than enough to take a two nil lead, and despite all the visitors possession, had only one quality strike on goal . Let’s hope conceded goals in the final minutes does not become a regular habit .
Would have taken a draw pre match, but many positives . Mingi coming on injected some classy touches, but must stay on his feet. Perhaps the striker pair stayed on too long.
Overall squad looks stronger than many a season, and more than capable, just need to gel together and BG not to be a Southgate and be over cautious.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 19:40]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 19:32 - Sep 16 with 1387 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 18:29 - Sep 16 by wessex_exile

Not blind optimism at all Noah - we were demonstrably the better team today. Mansfield dominated possession, but for more than 90 minutes we were comfortable with that and prevented them from doing anything with it. In the meantime, a bit like last Saturday, we carved out more than enough chances to completely bury them. I will agree, again like last Saturday, we didn't take those chances, and when you hold a slender 1-0 lead you are always going to be vulnerable to just one slip-up. I'd have taken a point before kick off, but post-match we deserved all three.

Joe Taylor is simply outstanding

Once again small margins but on another day we might have lost.

Definitely two points dropped and that indicates just how far we have come as a team.

The Stags got out of gaol today and Clough knows it.

I predicted a top seven finish for the U's and I stand by that.

We will get better at seeing out games.

BG has a decision to make. Does he drop Tovide to the bench and give Ihionvien a start with super Joey Taylor.
Much to mull over.

Up the U's

I am of course optimistic but with good reason

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 19:36 - Sep 16 with 1384 viewsdurham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 17:19 - Sep 16 by Moor_Pinot

Am sure many of us were expecting that finale Durham. We just can't do it can we!
Some progress - long long way to go.
Up the somewhat predictable but at least aspirant U's.

And that is the level of expectation Pinot, that we all feel disappointment at dropping two points.

Seeing games out at this level is vital and once we have sorted out best XI I am sure we will.

The Field Mill trip this season will garner three points we are long overdue a result against them.

Bring on the Railwaymen.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 10:53 - Sep 17 with 1250 viewsMoor_Pinot

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 19:36 - Sep 16 by durham_exile

And that is the level of expectation Pinot, that we all feel disappointment at dropping two points.

Seeing games out at this level is vital and once we have sorted out best XI I am sure we will.

The Field Mill trip this season will garner three points we are long overdue a result against them.

Bring on the Railwaymen.

Up the U's

Yes, expectations are the hardest part of being a fan aren't they. At the present mine extend to anticipating not killing a game off and not closing it out. I suppose that's my being realistic even if it's unsavoury!
But worse stuff happens so I spose a draw with them yesterday is OK and it does seem as though we might have a slightly more able and in depth squad then over the last few seasons of decline. I will be so much happier not to mention relieved if this season sees an upturn at long last. Mid table even? Who knows?

Moor Pinot

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 12:58 - Sep 17 with 1227 viewsbwildered

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 10:53 - Sep 17 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, expectations are the hardest part of being a fan aren't they. At the present mine extend to anticipating not killing a game off and not closing it out. I suppose that's my being realistic even if it's unsavoury!
But worse stuff happens so I spose a draw with them yesterday is OK and it does seem as though we might have a slightly more able and in depth squad then over the last few seasons of decline. I will be so much happier not to mention relieved if this season sees an upturn at long last. Mid table even? Who knows?

Dropped an astonishing eight points now in games that we were leading in . That tells a story which needs vital improvement.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stags to be culled by the Super U's at JCS today on 14:03 - Sep 17 with 1206 viewsmfb_cufc

Nigel Clough “I don’t think we deserved anything all day.".

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23794614.nigel-clough-verdict-mansfield-town

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024