Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garner goes. 18:40 - Oct 21 with 3728 viewsbwildered

Garner departs

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Garner goes. on 11:43 - Oct 22 with 1306 viewsCrashBandicoot

Garner goes. on 09:44 - Oct 22 by burnsieespana

Once again the conundrum is, do we go for experience or youth as Manager. Had plenty of the latter in last few seasons but with a young side I feel we should look at one of the experienced Manager's which are available.
You only have to.look how love or hate him Evans has done to name but one.
Whilst sad Garner has gone feel it had to happen as we have been on the road to nowhere apart from towards NL and am.not convinced he knew how to get us moving in the right direction.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 12:06]

Absolutely, BG really lost control of his team in the last few matches as his working relationship with the players did not look good with them not following his instructions.

We need an experienced and wiser head coach to really take control of the team and let the players know exactly where they stand.

I think ideal head coaches would be Gary Bowyer, Gary Rowett or John Eustace (funnily enough the latter was born in the same town as Big Roy - read into that what you will though his tactics will probably be rather different).
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 11:45]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Garner goes. on 10:15 - Oct 23 with 1148 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 00:26 - Oct 22 by CrashBandicoot

Yassine En-Neyah - the player who was signed then shipped out on loan to Maldon & Tiptree, Nice Lawrence is proving injury prone. 4 players to Under 21s instead of pushing academy players. Hopper & Jay should have both been loaned out and 2 decent experienced strikers brought in. Plus we should have brought in another experienced defender and holding midfielder to guide the younger players and loaned a couple more youngsters out.

So only one player who's actually been playing then? And I'm pretty sure Lawrence has just had the one injury it's just been a particularly serious one. Easier said than done that, you can't loan a player out unless you have 1) a club wants them 2) a player who's willing to go. And if they don't go we don't have the wage structure to pay six or seven forward players. Not getting in a holding midfielder has been the biggest mistake in my opinion.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Garner goes. on 10:19 - Oct 23 with 1141 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 11:43 - Oct 22 by CrashBandicoot

Absolutely, BG really lost control of his team in the last few matches as his working relationship with the players did not look good with them not following his instructions.

We need an experienced and wiser head coach to really take control of the team and let the players know exactly where they stand.

I think ideal head coaches would be Gary Bowyer, Gary Rowett or John Eustace (funnily enough the latter was born in the same town as Big Roy - read into that what you will though his tactics will probably be rather different).
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 11:45]

If Garner, as suggested, lost the dressing room then it's probably because he was critical of the players and rightly so in my opinion. An older style manager, like Evans, would be far more critical and outspoken and it seems that this group of players doesn't react well to that. Millennials aren't easy to manage in any shape or form.

Garner goes. on 10:25 - Oct 23 with 1141 viewsCrashBandicoot

Garner goes. on 10:15 - Oct 23 by RSCOSWORTH

So only one player who's actually been playing then? And I'm pretty sure Lawrence has just had the one injury it's just been a particularly serious one. Easier said than done that, you can't loan a player out unless you have 1) a club wants them 2) a player who's willing to go. And if they don't go we don't have the wage structure to pay six or seven forward players. Not getting in a holding midfielder has been the biggest mistake in my opinion.

I feel that whoever comes in in as head coach will likely need to tinker with formations for a few matches until he can find a few systems that work to the players strengths then in the next transfer window he should bring in:
1) A holding midfielder like you said.
2) One or 2 experienced no nonsense defenders
3) a decent striker with a proven goal scoring record and either loan out Hopper or sell him outright or as a player plus cash exchange.deal.
4) Make sure all of the above are in their late 20s/early 30s so the younger players have experienced heads guiding them.
Then with all that we should then have a very good side indeed.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 10:25]

Garner goes. on 13:37 - Oct 23 with 1090 viewsLeadbelly

Garner goes. on 10:25 - Oct 23 by CrashBandicoot

I feel that whoever comes in in as head coach will likely need to tinker with formations for a few matches until he can find a few systems that work to the players strengths then in the next transfer window he should bring in:
1) A holding midfielder like you said.
2) One or 2 experienced no nonsense defenders
3) a decent striker with a proven goal scoring record and either loan out Hopper or sell him outright or as a player plus cash exchange.deal.
4) Make sure all of the above are in their late 20s/early 30s so the younger players have experienced heads guiding them.
Then with all that we should then have a very good side indeed.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 10:25]

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/colchester-united

Betting latest has Matthew Etherington as odds on favourite. Whether he has what it takes to succeed if he gets the job remains to be seen but I suspect another internal appointment is on the cards.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Garner goes. on 14:22 - Oct 23 with 1080 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 13:37 - Oct 23 by Leadbelly

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/colchester-united

Betting latest has Matthew Etherington as odds on favourite. Whether he has what it takes to succeed if he gets the job remains to be seen but I suspect another internal appointment is on the cards.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

Garner goes. on 16:01 - Oct 23 with 1055 viewsthrillseeker

Garner goes. on 14:22 - Oct 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

RSC - 100% in agreement

If Etherington gets job I fear we will be in major trouble
Garner goes. on 17:23 - Oct 23 with 1021 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 16:01 - Oct 23 by thrillseeker

RSC - 100% in agreement

If Etherington gets job I fear we will be in major trouble

Well he's getting a crack at it in the interim at least.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2023/october/etherington-in-interim-charge/

Login to get fewer ads

Garner goes. on 17:57 - Oct 23 with 1005 viewsburnsieespana

Did he not get 3 wins out of 3 for Crawley?
Garner goes. on 18:23 - Oct 23 with 983 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 17:57 - Oct 23 by burnsieespana

Did he not get 3 wins out of 3 for Crawley?

One out of three I believe.

Garner goes. on 21:12 - Oct 23 with 938 viewsgerry_us

So, senior players are going to take note of someone who has been running U21 side?
Mmmm!
Garner goes. on 21:40 - Oct 23 with 923 viewsCrashBandicoot

Hopefully he'll just be temporary until someone more experienced comes in permanently. I don't know what results we'll get but I've got a feeling he'll only be here on an interim basis. The only way he'll get consideration for permanent head coach is if he miraculously turns around our form in the next few matches (ie 2 wins against Grimsby & Accrington and knocking Shrewsbury out of the FA cup if he's still there by then). Can anyone see that happening?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 21:42]

Garner goes. on 22:00 - Oct 23 with 905 viewsCrashBandicoot

Garner goes. on 10:19 - Oct 23 by RSCOSWORTH

If Garner, as suggested, lost the dressing room then it's probably because he was critical of the players and rightly so in my opinion. An older style manager, like Evans, would be far more critical and outspoken and it seems that this group of players doesn't react well to that. Millennials aren't easy to manage in any shape or form.

All the more reason why more experienced players born in the early to mid 90s should have been brought in
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 22:01]

Garner goes. on 19:59 - Oct 27 with 747 viewswessex_exile

Legal shenanigans afoot - just released on the club's Xitter account. Crawley have stepped in and advised Colchester United that they believe Matty Etherington is still bound by the terms of his November 2022 Crawley manager contract, and if he manages games for the U's Crawley are due a buy-out payment. Robbie asked Crawley for time to resolve this legal challenge, but they have declined that request, so Matty has to temporarily step down and Scott Marshall lead the team tomorrow. The statement makes no mention of whether his role on Tuesday is contentious in that regard.

In reality, it should make no material difference, I doubt very much there was much Matty could say or do between this evening and tomorrow afternoon that isn't already in place, so good luck Scott Marshall!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Garner goes. on 17:31 - Oct 31 with 646 viewsmfb_cufc

Ben Garner statement.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23891897.former-colchester-united-boss-ben-g

mfb

Garner goes. on 18:19 - Oct 31 with 634 viewsbwildered

Garner goes. on 17:31 - Oct 31 by mfb_cufc

Ben Garner statement.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23891897.former-colchester-united-boss-ben-g

Another PR exercise in which we are expected to believe the club is in a better place than before.
Sadly performances no better than the last couple of years, has the league position indicates.
Presume his contract is paid up with no restrictions in trade ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Garner goes. on 12:34 - Nov 1 with 584 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 18:19 - Oct 31 by bwildered

Another PR exercise in which we are expected to believe the club is in a better place than before.
Sadly performances no better than the last couple of years, has the league position indicates.
Presume his contract is paid up with no restrictions in trade ?

For me, the performances under Garner were, in the main, a vast improvement over the last few seasons. We dominated games rather than pinching results here and there and scored four or more three times. This didn't happen once under Ball, Mullins, Brown or Bloomfield. To put that into context we went 186 league matches without scoring more than three and we managed it three times under Garner in a 15 game period. It's a results game though and sadly the results haven't been there this season. Ironic really that since he left we've won two games that we probably should've lost. I think Garner can count himself very unlucky to be out of a job so soon especially given the injuries to experienced players (Iandolo, Kelleher, Dallison, Akinde) and the loss of key players due to suspension (Read, Tovide, McGeehan, Egbo). Obviously we'll never know but I feel like we would have got there eventually under Garner.

Garner goes. on 15:59 - Nov 1 with 546 viewsburnsieespana

Garner goes. on 12:34 - Nov 1 by RSCOSWORTH

For me, the performances under Garner were, in the main, a vast improvement over the last few seasons. We dominated games rather than pinching results here and there and scored four or more three times. This didn't happen once under Ball, Mullins, Brown or Bloomfield. To put that into context we went 186 league matches without scoring more than three and we managed it three times under Garner in a 15 game period. It's a results game though and sadly the results haven't been there this season. Ironic really that since he left we've won two games that we probably should've lost. I think Garner can count himself very unlucky to be out of a job so soon especially given the injuries to experienced players (Iandolo, Kelleher, Dallison, Akinde) and the loss of key players due to suspension (Read, Tovide, McGeehan, Egbo). Obviously we'll never know but I feel like we would have got there eventually under Garner.

You could be right but maybe it was not a matter directly related to our on pitch performances.
Garner goes. on 20:34 - Nov 1 with 503 viewsdurham_exile

Stephen Clemence has taken over at Gillingham.

Seems a bizarre appointment.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Garner goes. on 10:07 - Nov 2 with 477 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Garner goes. on 15:59 - Nov 1 by burnsieespana

You could be right but maybe it was not a matter directly related to our on pitch performances.

I think you could be right there burnsie. Cowling and Garner are both pretty firey characters and it's not like Cowling to lose patience with a manager so quickly so I wonder if something happened between the two of them.

Garner goes. on 18:10 - Nov 2 with 433 viewsghughes11

Garner goes. on 21:40 - Oct 23 by CrashBandicoot

Hopefully he'll just be temporary until someone more experienced comes in permanently. I don't know what results we'll get but I've got a feeling he'll only be here on an interim basis. The only way he'll get consideration for permanent head coach is if he miraculously turns around our form in the next few matches (ie 2 wins against Grimsby & Accrington and knocking Shrewsbury out of the FA cup if he's still there by then). Can anyone see that happening?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 21:42]

2/3 so far (I'm counting the Accy win as although not in the dugout it sounds like he pretty much did everything else!)

The Shrewsbury match is pretty much a free shot.

I think the next 2 home matches versus Swindon and Sutton will show whether we have turned a corner or not, as home wins have been at a premium for the last few seasons.

6 points in those 2 games and the job is as good as his.
4 points up for debate depending on performances.
3 points as above
1 point - hmmmmmm.....
0 points - see ya!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Garner goes. on 19:33 - Nov 2 with 422 viewswessex_exile

Garner goes. on 18:10 - Nov 2 by ghughes11

2/3 so far (I'm counting the Accy win as although not in the dugout it sounds like he pretty much did everything else!)

The Shrewsbury match is pretty much a free shot.

I think the next 2 home matches versus Swindon and Sutton will show whether we have turned a corner or not, as home wins have been at a premium for the last few seasons.

6 points in those 2 games and the job is as good as his.
4 points up for debate depending on performances.
3 points as above
1 point - hmmmmmm.....
0 points - see ya!

I think the whole experience is a free shot for Matty Etherington, assuming his U21 role isn't in jeopardy if he isn't appointed Head Coach? Conversely, Scott Marshall's role may be very much under threat if Matty Etherington doesn't do well enough to get the job, again assuming if we appoint externally whoever comes in will bring their own assistant and Scott gets the heave-ho. It creates an interesting dynamic, with an interim management team who have nothing to lose and everything to lose between them, and collectively everything to gain.

Btw - don't see that much of Scott Marshall on our social media platforms, but I liked the sound of him in his post-Accy interview. There's something about grizzled experienced Scottish coaches that seems to inspire confidence that they'll knock a bunch of lily-livered southern shandy drinkers into shape

Seems to be working too...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024