Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park 11:14 - Oct 24 with 1895 viewsdurham_exile

Harold Wilson is considered to have said “a week is a long time in politics” but I prefer JFK’s masterly “Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future.”

Just when we thought things could get no worse we contrived to lose to Harrogate Town a side that had never won at the JCS before.

And so, Ben Garner paid the price and was summarily dismissed. There was no mutually agreed to part company statement simply a stark dismissal.

Now the squad this season has been assembled with a view to a top six budget but injuries have combined to impact negatively on the team.

Kells and Nico Lawrence amongst those to be sorely missed recently. Indiscipline on a gargantuan scale has not helped and the unsavoury scenes after the humiliation at FGR were perhaps the writing on the wall.

However, a conspiracy theorist might wonder about the fact that the backroom staff remain in place and it is only BG who has departed.

Matty Etherington the 42-year-old former player and currently U21 coach has been put in temporary charge and he will be supported by Scott Marshall Assistant Head Coach and First Team Coach Dave Hussey. Liam Bailey steps up to coach the U21 side.

There is no shortage of would-be managers lining up:

Neil Harris
Steve Morison
Steve (Sombrero) Cotterill
Andy Woodman
David Artell
Karl Robinson
Nathan Jones
John McGreal
Danny Cowley
Lee Bowyer

The bookies have not surprisingly placed Etherington (ME) as the favourite to succeed BG.

Now this is a decision that the Chairman simply has to get right this time. Any mistake will almost certainly cost the club its league status. We are at the last chance saloon.

An external appointment must be made and the person must be given the chance to turn results around. It may be time for Karl Robinson to bring his considerable experience at this level to the JCS.

Gerry impishly suggested yours truly be given the job on an interim basis and whilst an enthusiastic and optimistic supporter my management of a football team only extends to weekend teenage football. So, I am certain of the appointment!!!!! I will be at the Grimsby game tonight with my youngest son and then on Saturday at Accrington with both sons and my granddaughter who will be attending her first Colchester United game. That must be an omen for good.

So, who can ME call upon tonight.

First he is fortunate to have Arthur Read back after serving his three-match suspension. Then Jay Mingi is available after his suspension too.

Samson Tovide hopefully will be back after his bizarre warm up injury on Saturday.

So, the squad should be from:

Goodman
Greenidge
Hall
Dallison
Jay
Bandeira
Tovide
Chilvers
Smith
Egbo
Hopper
Read
McGeehan
Mingi
Kennedy
Kazeem
Cooper
Terry
Ihionvien
Taylor
Mitchell

We have joked about reverting to the tried and trusted 2,3,5 formation but ME has little time for such experimentation, he has to select 18 squad members to win the match tonight and look towards back-to-back wins at Accrington Stanley.

Nothing to it really! Now the players clearly have not been giving of their all recently. I went to the Bradford games, Walsall and Crewe and have seen a number on iFollow. We should have garnered far more points (no pun intended) than the ten so far accumulated.

Grimsby 14 14
Tranmere 14 10
FGR 13 10
COL U 13 10
Sutton 14 7

BG was beginning to get the players to play neat attacking football but they failed to convert the many chances that came their way. He did at least revert to two strikers which all the faithful agreed was sensible. A quarter of the way through the season and the fans are wondering where the 40 more points for survival are coming from this season.

Paul Hirst at Grimsby is another manager with a struggling team.

ME needs to go for the following tonight in a 4,4,2:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall Dallison

Cooper Read McGeehan Edwards

Taylor Tovide

Subs
Smith Greenidge Kazeem Chilvers Bandeira Fevrier Ihionvien

The weather tonight in North East Lincolnshire is set to be 11 degrees Celsius with a 20% chance of rain and cloudy at kick off.

Grimsby (Cleethorpes) on an Autumnal Tuesday night is one of those fixtures that is virtually etched into the calendar.

I am predicting a classic 3-2 to the U’s and the players to be applauded from the field after a sterling performance.

Safe travelling to the faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 11:49 - Oct 24 with 1553 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Don't be surprised to see one up front this evening. We've become too easy to have chances against although saying that Harrogate created very little on Saturday but still managed to score more than we did!

I think the team may look like this:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Mcgeehan Read

Fevrier Chilvers Cooper Edwards

Taylor

Actually the more I look at this the more it seems wrong. I've got no idea how we'll line up this evening, I just hope we don't lose. 0-0 anyone?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 12:00 - Oct 24 with 1546 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 11:49 - Oct 24 by RSCOSWORTH

Don't be surprised to see one up front this evening. We've become too easy to have chances against although saying that Harrogate created very little on Saturday but still managed to score more than we did!

I think the team may look like this:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Mcgeehan Read

Fevrier Chilvers Cooper Edwards

Taylor

Actually the more I look at this the more it seems wrong. I've got no idea how we'll line up this evening, I just hope we don't lose. 0-0 anyone?

RS and that is the difficulty of team selection, formation and tactics.

We have in the region of 3,000 supporters and I reckon if you asked them all very few would agree on team selection.

Whatever happens tonight the wretched run of defeats must be ended.

I do not agree however with a return to an isolationist policy of a lone striker.

BG was right to play two strikers.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 12:20 - Oct 24 with 1535 viewswessex_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 12:00 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

We have in the region of 3,000 supporters and I reckon if you asked them all very few would agree on team selection.

I do not agree however with a return to an isolationist policy of a lone striker.

Up the U's

I thought I read somewhere on X that Edwards was injured again - or maybe it was a joke?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 12:24 - Oct 24 with 1529 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 12:00 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Up the U's

We can't even agree on a manager let alone a team and formation! It may have been the right decision but you need the right players to play in that pair and I'm not sure we have a paring right now. I think Taylor and Tovide are maybe too similar to play together so maybe it's better to play each of them for a half and get them to run the legs of the defence. With Akinde injured I think the other option is to play Hopper and rely on his holdup play for the other striker to work off of. He hasn't been great for us so far though.

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 13:40 - Oct 24 with 1500 viewsburnsieespana

Imo Hornby should be in goal giving the defence a bit more experience and would like to seeJay in as well instead of Edwards otherwise can't really disagree durham.
I do have doubts about Dallison as whenever I have seen him play appears so ponderous on the ball but his experience s needed.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 16:24 - Oct 24 with 1452 viewsbwildered

Frying tonight !

We did our own firing last weekend, so eleven bods required for full commitment to the cause.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 18:13 - Oct 24 with 1419 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 16:24 - Oct 24 by bwildered

Frying tonight !

We did our own firing last weekend, so eleven bods required for full commitment to the cause.

Papa's is living up to its reputation with excellent fish n chips.

Dry evening and mild.

Looking forward to the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 18:48 - Oct 24 with 1408 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 18:13 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Papa's is living up to its reputation with excellent fish n chips.

Dry evening and mild.

Looking forward to the game.

Up the U's

I fear the fish and chips may be the highlight of your evening durham. Not holding out much hope for the U's tonight.

Login to get fewer ads

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:22 - Oct 24 with 1397 viewsnoah4x4

Highlight of our evening (pre-match) is the beautiful Sarah in the Away Bar. We requested “Real Ale” and she nipped into the adjacent home fans bar to get us some bottles. Al Partner’s scarf is still hanging from the rafters and Paul (Bingo) Wrights (RIP) signed 50/50 ticket from 2016-17 remains sellotaped to the underside of the bar flap.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:45 - Oct 24 with 1369 viewsRSCOSWORTH

4-4-2 according to the BBC

Goodman

Greenidge Mitchell Hall Egbo

Cooper Read McGeehan Fevrier

Tovide Taylor

Chilvers and Jay on the bench.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 19:46]

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:57 - Oct 24 with 1353 viewswessex_exile

Well when your luck's against you, it's definitely against you - what a disaster between Greenidge and Goodman - shocking!

Up the U's

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:58 - Oct 24 with 1352 viewswessex_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:57 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

Well when your luck's against you, it's definitely against you - what a disaster between Greenidge and Goodman - shocking!

But never discount the predatory instincts of Taylor - 1-1!

Up the U's

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:59 - Oct 24 with 1346 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 19:57 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

Greenidge seems so out of his depth at this level. At fault for two goals on Saturday and now another tonight.

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 20:23 - Oct 24 with 1317 viewswessex_exile

Not sure who got the final touch, but 2-1 to the U's! Commentary suggests Mitchell, but might have been an OG or one for Read.

Up the U's

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 20:48 - Oct 24 with 1286 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 20:23 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

Not sure who got the final touch, but 2-1 to the U's! Commentary suggests Mitchell, but might have been an OG or one for Read.

Definitely Mitchell

I have really enjoyed the half after the nightmare start

Colchester deservedly ahead

Support from the faithful outstanding.

Decent crowd tonight

More goals for the U's.

Fevrier outstanding

Joe Taylor back to his best.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 21:46 - Oct 24 with 1226 viewsCrashBandicoot

Finally we have a decent win to our name. Can we do it again at Accrington?

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 21:49 - Oct 24 with 1212 viewsburnsieespana

Well done Matty E and the players for a hard fought win.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 21:54 - Oct 24 with 1197 viewsoxfcolu

A positive reaction. Now we need consistency.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 21:58 - Oct 24 with 1193 viewswessex_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 21:49 - Oct 24 by burnsieespana

Well done Matty E and the players for a hard fought win.

Excellent battling performance, though with still a few worrying signs thrown in for good measure. But, Matty Ethrington can only win the games in front of him, so let's see where we go at Accy Stanley on Saturday. Tonight shows how important Read is to the U's right now.

Up the U's

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:08 - Oct 24 with 1176 viewsnoah4x4

On a joyful CUSA bus. Frankly, had it not been for Greenidge’s blunder (a back pass) that was over the line before Goodman headed it, a comfortable win. Read with one goal plus two assists says everything about what we have lacked in the previous three league games. Tovide should have put the game to bed when Taylor picked him out six yards from goal, but he blasted over. Onwards to Accrington. Exactly!
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:46 - Oct 24 with 1147 viewsnoah4x4

Tonight, the U’s are the only side to have won amongst the bottom 8, so we gained a genuine 3 points over all in the bottom group.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:48 - Oct 24 with 1147 viewswessex_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:08 - Oct 24 by noah4x4

On a joyful CUSA bus. Frankly, had it not been for Greenidge’s blunder (a back pass) that was over the line before Goodman headed it, a comfortable win. Read with one goal plus two assists says everything about what we have lacked in the previous three league games. Tovide should have put the game to bed when Taylor picked him out six yards from goal, but he blasted over. Onwards to Accrington. Exactly!

Not over the line Noah, but still Greenidge's blunder. Goodman was poorly positioned for a dreadful back pass, and it looked like he tried to head it up into the air to catch it, but bounced over him into the net. But, let's not detract from an otherwise spirited performance by the U's.

Grimsby on a Tuesday night indeed - well done to you, Durham and the rest of the 148 there to enjoy it - excellent support!

Up the U's

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 01:08 - Oct 25 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:48 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

Not over the line Noah, but still Greenidge's blunder. Goodman was poorly positioned for a dreadful back pass, and it looked like he tried to head it up into the air to catch it, but bounced over him into the net. But, let's not detract from an otherwise spirited performance by the U's.

Grimsby on a Tuesday night indeed - well done to you, Durham and the rest of the 148 there to enjoy it - excellent support!

Brilliant support tonight.

Agree with you Wessex the ball hasn't crossed the line until Goodman headed it up and backwards.
The backpass was overhit and it contributed to a shocking start.

The team played really well and deserved the 3-2 victory.

Bring on Stanley on Saturday.

Just home now and chilling.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 01:20 - Oct 25 with 1108 viewsnoah4x4

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 22:48 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

Having seen the TV replay I concur Wessex. From my low/wide angle, whilst viewing through the goal net it looked as if Goodman was much closer to the goal than in reality. But given he was much further out, why didn’t he simply handle it and give them a free kick? Despite this, I would still”credit” the own goal to Greenidge for a bonkers back pass that was always destined for the net.

It was our perception that Grimsby deliberately targeted Greenidge’s flank realising he is a weak link. I have only ever seen him have one decent game. Other than the pass that hit him in the back, did Hopper touch the ball? Chilvers was dispossessed on three occasions because he didn’t look for the simple ball and on each occasion Grimsby then threatened. Apart from these exceptions, I thought we played really well.

Tortuous journey home. 01:00 and only just past Peterborough due to road closures. But mood cheerful given result.
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 23:18 - Oct 25 with 931 viewsRSCOSWORTH

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/colchester-goalkeeper-owen-goodman-scor

Poor Owen! Like noah though I still don't understand why it's a Goodman own goal and not Greenidge's.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024