Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today 09:33 - Oct 28 with 960 viewsdurham_exile

As Colchester United embark upon their third manager in a week, Scott Marshall will lead the team after Matty Etherington had to stand down after Crawley made representation to Robbie Cowling claiming he was still contracted to them until May 2024.

I stand by my initial comment that they are scum. Etherington has been employed by Colchester United as the U21 Manager without incident. He led the team on Tuesday night at Grimsby again without intervention from Crawley.

Etherington’s managerial reign at Crawley from November 2022 lasted just 32 days and if Crawley had felt aggrieved about his appointment at Colchester they have had weeks to make representation. Expect a lively encounter at the JCS on 9 December both on and off the field.

Before we consider the Accrington game, it would be remiss not to report on a tremendous victory at Grimsby on Tuesday night.

Etherington who only formally took over on Monday after BG’s sacking chose the following to start the game:

Goodman
Greenidge Mitchell Hall Egbo
Read
Fevrier Cooper McGeehan Tovide
Taylor

Subs
Dallison for Mitchell on 57 mins
Mingi for Cooper on 57 mins
Chilvers for Tovide on 76 mins
Hopper for Taylor on 86 mins
Not used Jay, Hornby, Ihionvien

After the much-publicised horror own goal conceded after a wayward back pass from Greenidge left Goodman little opportunity to prevent the ball from going up and over his despairing efforts to keep it out. However, after that there was only one team in the game and Colchester deservedly equalised on 11 minutes with a superb strike from Joe Taylor and then went ahead after a clever bit of opportunism by Mitchell on 35 minutes. Although Wilson equalised shortly after half time when the U’s defence went to sleep the superb Arthur Read struck the winner in the 64th minute.

Samson Tovide should have made the game safe after a superb run and cross from Taylor who seemed back to his best on Tuesday. But in truth the application and commitment from the players was never in doubt and it was a very happy mood amongst the 148 faithful in a crowd of 5,010.

I knew that fish n chips at Papas before the game could not be bettered or battered, but it was with a superb victory.

So given that the team have trained with ME “all” week, it is unlikely that SM will make any real changes to the preparation but Crawley’s pathetic intervention has in my view engendered a real feel of outrage at the club and I believe will steel the players to provide another sterling performance to unseat their high-flying opponents.
John Coleman is still in charge at the ‘Owd Reds and has been for almost 9 years in his second iteration at the club. He has built a workmanlike side and in Andrews, Pritchard and Leigh has the spine of an effective side. Today will be a difficult game but our sense of injustice and the necessity for more points will see the U’s secure a 2-1 victory at the Wham Stadium today.

This will be my third visit to the Crown/Wham stadium the last two being in February and August 2017 when we lost 2-1 and 3-1 respectively. Two dismal games. Incidentally Wessex missed the August game after gremlins on the M5 and M6 and he apparently had to turn around at Junction 14 of the M6, he had the better day bizarrely because ewe were shocking whilst losing that day. 329 of the faithful went home disappointed.

Today my sons and Granddaughter (attending her first U's game) will join me on the Terraces.

So, who will SM choose to start the game:

He must keep faith with Goodman who after the horror start made two game saving saves to maintain our lead at 2-1 and 3-2. Greenidge should return to the bench but otherwise I wouldn’t make any other changes. The team needs stability and consistency if we are to climb the table:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall Dallison

Fevrier Cooper Read McGeehan

Taylor Tovide

Subs:
Hornby Greenidge Mingi Chilvers Hopper Jay Ihionvien

But two up front please, Tovide was lost out on the wing at Blundell Park.

Newport 15 15
Grimsby 15 14
COL U 14 13
Tranmere 15 10
FGR 14 10
Sutton 15 7

Weather today at Accrington will be 11 degrees Celsius and cloudy with a 20% risk of precipitation.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 13:08 - Oct 28 with 902 viewsgerry_us

Take the team on to Accrington beach Peter.
It worked at Grimsby.
'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 14:32 - Oct 28 with 864 viewsdurham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 13:08 - Oct 28 by gerry_us

Take the team on to Accrington beach Peter.
It worked at Grimsby.

We've trained on the nearby training pitch!

Durham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 15:57 - Oct 28 with 823 viewsdurham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 14:32 - Oct 28 by durham_exile

We've trained on the nearby training pitch!

Difficult half against a good side.

Read hit the post after a rasping drive and Tovide unlucky with a diagonal shot.

Accrington fortunately left their shooting boots at-home because they had four very presentable chances.

Pitch good and well watered by the sprinklers and the sharp showers for the first 20 minutes of the game.

Noah in good form, the faithful perhaps quieter than of late.

But plenty to play for second half.

Go Joe Taylor

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Oct 2023 15:57]

Durham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 16:17 - Oct 28 with 804 viewsdurham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 15:57 - Oct 28 by durham_exile

Difficult half against a good side.

Read hit the post after a rasping drive and Tovide unlucky with a diagonal shot.

Accrington fortunately left their shooting boots at-home because they had four very presentable chances.

Pitch good and well watered by the sprinklers and the sharp showers for the first 20 minutes of the game.

Noah in good form, the faithful perhaps quieter than of late.

But plenty to play for second half.

Go Joe Taylor

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Oct 2023 15:57]

Joe Taylor simply outstanding.

Ran from the half way line outpaced the defence then had the composure to round the keeper steady himself and bury it.

Superb.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 16:58 - Oct 28 with 774 viewswessex_exile

Just magnificent! What a battling performance - definitely not the better side, but goodness didn't we deserve that!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 17:03 - Oct 28 with 761 viewsCrashBandicoot

Nice win today, Accrington are a good side so that was definitely welcome.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 17:49 - Oct 28 with 713 viewsburnsieespana

An excellent win.
All credit to the players and the management team.
We can still turn our season round.
'Owd Reds to come unstuck against Super U's at the Wham today on 07:31 - Oct 29 with 594 viewsnoah4x4

Magnificent!

I reckon Accy are the best side we have played this season, but it just wasn't their day. If their striker Lee had his best shooting boots on he would have had a hat trick by HT, by which most of us would have been content with a 0-0 outcome. I have never seen us so much under the cosh without conceding. By 98 minutes, over 30 shots were saved, blocked or often narrowly missed. We have not had a lot of luck in recent seasons and Arthur Read hitting the post had here we go again overtones, but payback with interest occurred yesterday, in a single fixture.11 corners to our 0 confirm the pressure. How they didn’t score was part miracle, part courageous body on the line defending.

Goodman, Hall and Mitchell were outstanding. Chilvers ran his legs off and tackled. This was a completely different performance to any witnessed under Garner. Taylor’s goal was pure smash and grab larceny. A performance like this every week must see us climbing the table. The mystery is why not this level of commitment and application under Garner? 7 shots, 6 on target showed precision in attack, when wasteful Accy had five times as many shots, but with no more net bound. We got away with murder, but that happens when players are brave, committed and have pride in the shirt. They should all get 10/10 (except Greenidge who perhaps deserves an 8/10 despite being our conspicuous weak link).

Good to see Durham and family with Peter for once not “incandescent with rage”. We sang on the bus all the way home and raised over £100 for the MND charity. A good day all round.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024