Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup 13:20 - Nov 3 with 1838 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend gives Matty Etherington and his Colchester charges the opportunity to forget about the league (until Tuesday night) and instead focus on the FA Challenge Cup with a Round One tie at the New Meadow against Shrewsbury Town. With the winners receiving £41k there will be plenty of enthusiasm to win the tie and move on to Round Two (£67K).

However, there is plenty to consider before we move on to Shropshire.

Last Saturday I travelled to Accrington with my two sons and my Granddaughter. It was her first Colchester game and she was delighted not only with the result but also to have a selfie with Bradley Ihionvien at Half Time. It was much appreciated.

Journey south was uneventful and parking at Accrington is in a field virtually next to the stadium. I had been twice before and on both occasions Colchester lost so Saturday was extra special.

We all bought a pie prior to the game and they were excellent. Pastry good, filling generous and very hot. Best pie so far this season.

Scott Marshall took charge on the day but it was effectively Etherington’s team line up having only been relieved of the responsibility on Friday after Crawley scum notified RC that ME couldn’t manage the side.

Fortunately, RC called their bluff this week having taken legal advice and that is the end of the matter. Their pettiness will make the encounter in December a stormy one.

SM lined up as follows:

Goodman
Greenidge Mitchell Hall Egbo
Tovide McGeehan Read Fevrier
Chilvers
Taylor

Subs:
Greenidge off for Dallison 60 mins
Tovide off for Hopper 68 mins
McGeehan off for Mingi 80 mins
Taylor off for Ihionvien 80 mins
Not used Jay, Hornby, Cooper

Now I don’t like Tovide on the right wing and I don’t like Fevrier on the left wing.
Apart from that the team did magnificently against the best team that I have seen Colchester play this season.

The pitch, which was immaculate, was well watered before the game and then for the first 20 minutes the heavens opened and the rain descended to soak the surface.

In between sunshine was warm and most welcome. At half time the pitch was again well watered.

Attendance was 2,107 of which 190 of the vocal faithful were present. Noah was in good form and I met fellow boarder Kevin after the final whistle.
Now we could have been two goals to the good after 11 minutes, Taylor’s effort was cleared off the line and McCracken pushed Read’s rasping shot onto the post. However, after that Accrington took charge and Good man made three classy saves to deny the ‘Owd Reds.

The second half threatened to go the way of the first with Accrington spraying passes about and the excellent left back Longelo was involved in all their good work.

However, on 57 minute the highlight of the game and a piece of individual brilliance from Joe Taylor who picked up the ball in his own half and ran powerfully past defenders and then when McCracken came out to narrow the angle the power of Taylor’s initial shot evaded him and Taylor rounded the keeper to steady himself and then to score from an acute angle.

It was outstanding and deserved to win the game. Joe Taylor’s eighth goal of the season was met with rapture from the faithful.

Accrington were stunned and although they continued with their impressive passing game they could neither defeat Goodman nor the defence. Andrews shot late on but Goodman pushed the ball onto the bar.

We travelled back, proud of the team and the commitment and industry that they had shown. Evening meal was at Pizza Hut Preston.

So, this week we head to Shrewsbury for the Cup. Matt Taylor has a side who are struggling in League One this season and I expect them to play their strongest team. They will not want to lose to Colchester.

Now on 7 January 1989 we played Shrewsbury at the Gay Meadow in the FA Cup third round. In those days we lived in Shropshire and so the journey for me was an easy one. The scoreline was also 3-0 to the U’s in front of 3,982. A great match and one which we can match this weekend.

However, I travelled from my Durham home to the New Meadow on Tuesday 14 August 2007 to play them in the League Cup. We played dismally (as a championship side) and lost 1-0 to a 106th minute goal.

Now Shrewsbury have done very well to survive in league one but this might be their year when the luck finally runs out. Their stadium which was opened the year before ours is almost identical. It was constructed by the same company and is very similar in construction and style with a capacity of just under 10,000 all seated.

I am predicting a handsome 3-0 win for Colchester (a brace for Taylor and Read supplying the other) and the spoils of the £41K.

Shrewsbury weather on Saturday 9 degrees Celsius, light wind and light rain.

But who will ME select:

Samson Tovide was taken off after an injury last week and I hope that he is fit to play. If so than the following will line up at the New Meadow (known as the Croud Meadow). I would move Tovide alongside Taylor up top and play Fevrier on the right wing.

Goodman

Greenidge Mitchell Hall Egbo

Fevrier McGeehan Read

Chilvers

Tovide Taylor

Subs
Hornby Jay Cooper Dallison Hopper Mingi Ihionvien

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:47 - Nov 3 with 1789 viewsbwildered

Let’s hope we continue to have a good cup record there, having also beaten them 2-1 in 2005, when the host keeper was a young loanee in Joe Hart from Man City.

Remember being present when losing to them the season after, just nine months after the Leeds game. The first team from a higher division ( Third Division) to beat us at home in the FA cup.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:31 - Nov 3 with 1776 viewsnoah4x4

Two full CUSA buses, plus a possee of my pals heading there by train, including a few that rarely travel away, so a decent turnout of the faithful is likely. There is renewed belief. It would be good to get a result, but the Swindon and Sutton league fixtures are far more important.
Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 18:08 - Nov 3 with 1760 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:31 - Nov 3 by noah4x4

Two full CUSA buses, plus a possee of my pals heading there by train, including a few that rarely travel away, so a decent turnout of the faithful is likely. There is renewed belief. It would be good to get a result, but the Swindon and Sutton league fixtures are far more important.

So funny how results rather than performances lead to positivity and belief. Maybe in reality fans don't really care about the kind of football we play as long as we get results.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:22 - Nov 3 with 1739 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 18:08 - Nov 3 by RSCOSWORTH

So funny how results rather than performances lead to positivity and belief. Maybe in reality fans don't really care about the kind of football we play as long as we get results.

Football is very much a results driven business.

The last two games at Grimsby and Accrington were both victories because we scored goals or a goal and defended as a unit. The commitment was there and we played as a team

Another day at Accrington we might have lost to arguably the better team but they had no-one to match the brilliance of Joe Taylor.

If we continue to win football matches then so be it. I would rather we turn out fortunes around and won, the performances will then take care of themselves.

Joe Taylor's goals were worth the admission money alone at both games.

A win tomorrow is on the cards and then we move on to the robins.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:34 - Nov 3 with 1736 viewsburnsieespana

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 18:08 - Nov 3 by RSCOSWORTH

Much rather see a victory than a game of glorious football ending in defeat.
Win 5 or 6 on the trot and the performance will look after itself.
Up the U's and a win would be good for the finances.
Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:37 - Nov 3 with 1736 viewswessex_exile

You're right of course, but I think there's a limit. Aidy Boothroyd was arguably one of our more successful League 1 managers, but there was quite a bit of dissent over the playing style, and very little moaning when he left for Coventry City. This season I'll take as many win-ugly 1-0's as you're prepared to offer, but I would expect the performances to eventually improve. Btw, if I wasn't dog-sitting this weekend, I'd be off to Shrewsbury too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 20:22 - Nov 3 with 1725 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:31 - Nov 3 by noah4x4

Noah safe journey to Salop.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 14:07 - Nov 4 with 1609 viewswessex_exile

Virtual full-strength U's named - excellent!

Goodman

Greenidge
Dallison
Hall
Egbo

Fevrier
McGeehan
Read
Chilvers
Tovide

Taylor

Subs
Hornby
Mitchell
Terry
Kennedy
Mingi
Jay
Cooper
Ihionvien
Hopper
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 14:08]

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 14:31 - Nov 4 with 1584 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 14:07 - Nov 4 by wessex_exile

Virtual full-strength U's named - excellent!

Goodman

Greenidge
Dallison
Hall
Egbo

Fevrier
McGeehan
Read
Chilvers
Tovide

Taylor

Subs
Hornby
Mitchell
Terry
Kennedy
Mingi
Jay
Cooper
Ihionvien
Hopper
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 14:08]

Thanks Wessex saved me a job.

Still giving my pre match motivational talk!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 14:40 - Nov 4 with 1582 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 14:31 - Nov 4 by durham_exile

Thanks Wessex saved me a job.

Still giving my pre match motivational talk!

Up the U's

Hope you had them out on coracles this morning doing laps across the Severn!

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 15:14 - Nov 4 with 1573 viewswessex_exile

For those of us currently listening to Stevenage Tranmere, the U's are 1-0 up thanks to a blistering strike from McGeehan - get in!

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 15:29 - Nov 4 with 1565 viewswessex_exile

Now 1-1, and I'm listening via the BBC Sounds commentary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/player/bbc_radio_essex

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 15:52 - Nov 4 with 1554 viewswessex_exile

1-1 at half-time, all to play for.

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:06 - Nov 4 with 1542 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 15:52 - Nov 4 by wessex_exile

1-1 at half-time, all to play for.

We can win this but give Taylor some service

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:42 - Nov 4 with 1510 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:06 - Nov 4 by durham_exile

We can win this but give Taylor some service

Probably not anymore unfortunately - OG from Connor and 3-1 to Shrewsbury.

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:43 - Nov 4 with 1508 viewsCrashBandicoot

When are we actually going to have a decent fa cup run? Last one was 2015-16...

No Essex teams in the 2nd round then so it'll be boring this season...
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 16:43]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:48 - Nov 4 with 1495 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:43 - Nov 4 by CrashBandicoot

When are we actually going to have a decent fa cup run? Last one was 2015-16...

No Essex teams in the 2nd round then so it'll be boring this season...
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 16:43]

Hold your horses - now 3-2 courtesy of Zach Mitchell!

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:03 - Nov 4 with 1478 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:48 - Nov 4 by wessex_exile

Hold your horses - now 3-2 courtesy of Zach Mitchell!

...and that's that, no FA Cup run for the U's this season unfortunately. Fantastic turnout of nearly 500 making the journey, but the more important games are coming up at the JobServe in the next week or so. It'll be interesting to see how Swinedon react after going 7-0 behind at home, despite getting four back (including 2 in added time).

We're still the best team in Essex for this season's FA Cup - every cloud etc.

Up the U's

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:08 - Nov 4 with 1464 viewsCrashBandicoot

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:03 - Nov 4 by wessex_exile

...and that's that, no FA Cup run for the U's this season unfortunately. Fantastic turnout of nearly 500 making the journey, but the more important games are coming up at the JobServe in the next week or so. It'll be interesting to see how Swinedon react after going 7-0 behind at home, despite getting four back (including 2 in added time).

We're still the best team in Essex for this season's FA Cup - every cloud etc.

Tbf Shrewsbury were always going to be a tough test esp at home as they do have a good league record at home. Plus at least this time we weren't embarrassed by a NL side...

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:29 - Nov 4 with 1436 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 17:08 - Nov 4 by CrashBandicoot

Tbf Shrewsbury were always going to be a tough test esp at home as they do have a good league record at home. Plus at least this time we weren't embarrassed by a NL side...

Frankly we should at the very least have forced a replay.

Back at the car now

Wet journey home

Disappointed because for periods of the game we were the better team.

Safe journey home to the faithful.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:35 - Nov 4 with 1316 viewsgerry_us

Does this mean that we can now concentrate on the league?
Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:46 - Nov 4 with 1309 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:35 - Nov 4 by gerry_us

Does this mean that we can now concentrate on the league?

Regrettably yes

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 16:04 - Nov 5 with 1161 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to tame the Shrews at the New Meadow in the FA Cup on 19:46 - Nov 4 by durham_exile

Regrettably yes

Up the U's

We will have to be wary of a backlash from Swindon on Tuesday. Some result for the Shots though. Swindon obviously left their comeback too late!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024