Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS 18:05 - Nov 7 with 2085 viewsdurham_exile

The U’s bowed out of the FA Cup on Saturday at a rain-soaked New Meadow. I had a good journey down the M6 and A5 and used the park n ride at Meole Brace except it was park and walk because I didn’t see any bus although the walk behind the shops and along the railway line to the stadium only takes ten minutes.

The attendance was a poor 3,010 of which 170 of the faithful were present. I saw Noah and Kevin amongst others and the fans were initially in good voice. Second half they went strangely quiet and only came to life for the final 20 minutes.

Frankly in the first half we were deservedly in front after a smart strike from Cameron McGeehan on 10 minutes. Shrewsbury offered little after that until they were given a throw in (which should have been a free kick to the U’s) and from that the ball went out for a corner.

Their dangerman Shipley shot from the edge of the box and the ball looped up after hitting Udoh and found the back of the net on 22 minutes.

We were frustratingly content to play the ball from the back repeatedly across the field and to build at a glacial pace. Result stalemate at half time.

Now the U’s have got into a habit of starting the second half slowly and methodically. Result the initiative passed to Shrewsbury and they fell to a sucker punch long ball on 56 minutes which Shipley took down and scored past Goodman.

At 2-1 I expected more urgency but it didn’t come and when Connor Hall was unlucky to divert a ball into his own net on 79 minutes we were suddenly 3-1 down.

However, the U’s woke up and the outstanding Mitchell rose highest from a corner on 86 minutes and it was 3-2. Suddenly there was belief and we almost equalised in the 7 additional minutes of time but it wasn’t to be and the £41k went to the Shrews. They won’t get past Notts County in Round 2, however.

Colchester lined up:

Goodman
Greenidge Hall Dallison Egbo
Read
Fevrier Chilvers McGeehan
Taylor Tovide

Subs:
Mitchell for Greenidge on 59 mins
Terry for Dallison on 72 mins
Ihionvien for Taylor on 72 mins
Hopper for Tovide on 72 mins
Cooper for Chilvers on 81 mins

Apparently there was confusion because the U’s were not sure if Mitchell was allowed to play or not and so we wasted the first half with Zach Mitchell on the bench. He is a very talented Centre Back.

The main frustration for me was ME’s inability to play two up front and the poor service which Joe Taylor received. At least Jaydon Fevrier was mainly allowed to play on the right side where he is far more effective. And stop all this nonsense playing out from the back. I don’t like it.

Journey home was very wet but ok and I stopped for tea at Deepdale Pizza Hut in Preston.

Tonight, however we return to league action and it is the postponed match against Swindon (our game in hand). Now forget about their humiliation to Aldershot at the weekend. Michael Flynn will be looking to get back to winning ways and in Dan Kemp and Charlie Austin he has two match winners.

ME should line up as follows:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall Dallison

Fevrier Read Chilvers McGeehan

Tovide Taylor

Subs
Greenidge Terry Cooper (not the real Terry Cooper!) Ihionvien Hopper Jay Hornby

Colchester weather will be 8 degrees Celsius and cloudy only 12% chance of rain.

Score prediction 2-0 Colchester with Taylor and Read on target.

Enjoy the game.

Don’t forget Exiles, it is on iFollow for £10.

Up the U’s

PS I am Away at a family Wedding this weekend therefore Colchester 3 Sutton 0 and a Joe Taylor brace and Samson Tovide to score the all important goals.

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:22 - Nov 7 with 622 viewsCrashBandicoot

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:17 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Triple change

Chilvers for Mingi
Ihionvien for Tovide
Hopper for Taylor
On 72 mins

Once again Taylor poor service tonight.
I feel really sorry for him.

IMO we need to try Taylor, Tovide and Ihionview working together as an attacking force with Mingi & Read backing them up.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:37 - Nov 7 with 591 viewsdurham_exile

Crash absolutely right

Chilvers 3-1

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:39 - Nov 7 with 582 viewsCrashBandicoot

The match has now been put to bed. Great result & I take back what I said about ME...

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:40 - Nov 7 with 578 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:37 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Crash absolutely right

Chilvers 3-1

Sleep well Peter
Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:40 - Nov 7 with 577 viewsdurham_exile

Another three points on Saturday now required.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:43 - Nov 7 with 569 viewsdurham_exile

Whisper it
Only 7 points off the play offs.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:51 - Nov 7 with 560 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:40 - Nov 7 by gerry_us

Sleep well Peter

Gerry I certainly will.

Sutton on Saturday, when did we last win four consecutive league games?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:52 - Nov 7 with 559 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:43 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Whisper it
Only 7 points off the play offs.

Up the U's

Now stop it!
Got to follow this up with 3 points Saturday
then maybe....
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:03 - Nov 7 with 548 viewsoxfcolu

Over the moon tonight, bragging rights at work tomorrow.😁
Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:06 - Nov 7 with 547 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 21:51 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Gerry I certainly will.

Sutton on Saturday, when did we last win four consecutive league games?

Up the U's

John McGreal in January 2017 when we beat 'Nam at the JobServe 2-0 I think?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:23 - Nov 7 with 520 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:06 - Nov 7 by wessex_exile

Just to add, what a magnificent second half! Under the cosh for much of the first half, even though we had our chances, but what spirit and determination to come back and get the deserved win. Who'd have thought Swindon would score 5 goals in two games and lose both badly. Methinks big problems in North Wiltshire.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:31 - Nov 7 with 511 viewsbwildered

Bit more purpose about us in the second half, which needs to be the standard, but goals coming from balls from the sides, rather than down the middle where possession is lost constantly.
Should start Saturday with what we finished with tonight. Still not doing the simple things well, too many stray passes, specially in the first half.
Onwards and upwards, ME already got in pole for the job, but first half must be a warning of no change or improvement, which we have seen in other incumbents.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 22:39 - Nov 7 with 502 viewsdurham_exile

Thanks Wessex

Goodness me
ME

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 08:08 - Nov 8 with 425 viewsthrillseeker

A real game of two halves.

First half - very poor

Second half - good, but not brilliant as some are saying

McGeehan - I like him and I hope we extend his contract

Mingi - his best game so far

Mitchell - some astonishing blocks in 2nd half.

Tovide - needs to cut out the drama and play acting. It will be like the boy who cried wolf as the time he really is fouled his previous actions will influence the ref. For someone his size he goes down to easy and really needs to toughen up.

Greenidge - I feel for him. 100% effort but seems to lack ability. Got better 2nd half and good pass to Tovide for 2nd goal.

Taylor - you can sense his frustration. I sat in W4 last night and could really see his runs into space but alas we do not have the players of sufficient quality to see and play the ball.

Overall, a reasonable display.

I am still not convinced Etherington is man for the job but he appears to have done OK so far
Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 09:26 - Nov 8 with 393 viewsbwildered

Accrington 3 Newport 0
Crawley 1 Bradford City 0
Crewe 2 Mansfield2
Doncaster 0 Harrogate 1
Forest Green 0 Salford City 2
Grimsby 0 Wimbledon 0
Morecambe 2 Walsall 1
Stockport 0 Gillingham 1
Sutton 5 Notts County 1
Tranmere 1 Barrow 2
Wrexham 3 MK Dons 5

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. So a quick recap on first day results .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 10:00 - Nov 8 with 376 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 09:26 - Nov 8 by bwildered

Accrington 3 Newport 0
Crawley 1 Bradford City 0
Crewe 2 Mansfield2
Doncaster 0 Harrogate 1
Forest Green 0 Salford City 2
Grimsby 0 Wimbledon 0
Morecambe 2 Walsall 1
Stockport 0 Gillingham 1
Sutton 5 Notts County 1
Tranmere 1 Barrow 2
Wrexham 3 MK Dons 5

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. So a quick recap on first day results .

Nice to be sitting in fourth spot after the first match of the season!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 13:20 - Nov 8 with 340 viewsgerry_us

Sutton have certainly fallen away after a 5-1 win against Notts County.
Hope their revival doesn't start Saturday.
Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 16:42 - Nov 8 with 316 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's to clip Robins' wings at the JCS on 13:20 - Nov 8 by gerry_us

Sutton have certainly fallen away after a 5-1 win against Notts County.
Hope their revival doesn't start Saturday.

Crazy to think that after the first match Sutton were top and Notts County bottom and a couple of months later they'd swapped positions. All of the current top three lost their opening league game of the season.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024