Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon 13:27 - Nov 25 with 2677 viewsdurham_exile

Fresh from their midweek win against the Posh to secure the knockout stage of the EFL Trophy. ME’s charges will do battle this weekend against Barrow.

However, before I consider that, there is unfinished business from last weekend against Stockport County. Good journey down, M6,M60 busy but moving.

I park at the Morrisons about a mile from the ground and then walked to the Away Ticket booth to pick up not only my Stockport ticket but also the Donny Rovers game on Tuesday night.

The walk to the Away end has this season been considerably increased and takes in a demilitarised zone akin to the car park at Oldham Athletic.

There is then a walk along a footpath similar to the old Rotherham Away end. You are then introduced to the ground at the Away Catering Outlet. The pie was a big plus excellent filling and pastry.

Then of course the Away seating, best to sit in the front to avoid the “interrupted view” with the pillars in the way. Last season it was still possible to walk through the stadium past the open seated terracing and years ago that is where the Away supporters were accommodated. Now of course that end is given over to home supporters. Just as well last Saturday was dry.

ME lined up:
Goodman
Mitchell Dallison Egbo
Fevrier Mingi Read Greenidge
McGeehan Chilvers
Tovide

Subs
Kelleher
Jay
Smith
Hopper for Greenidge on 71 mins
Terry
Ihionvien for Tovide on 71 mins
Cooper for Mingi on 83 mins

ME was wrong in my view not to play two up front. Samson was often isolated and alone up front.

However, after the fits few minutes we grew into the game and played the better football. Tovide’s outrageous attempt on goal hit the bar and we had a purple patch after that but failing to score the opening goal.

Then just on half time Wootton battled with Mitchell on the line and tucked the ball into the U’s net. 1-0 at half time and worse was to come. From a 46th minute corner we failed to pick Camps up on the edge of the box and he hit a delightful volley into the corner of the net. 2-0 and that was that or was it. Tovide missed a sitter and Ihionvien dawdled when he needed to shoot earlier. In truth we deserved something from the game.

I saw Noah in the stand but although he was there I never actually saw Wessex but then he spent most of the afternoon walking around Greater Manchester after being sent on a wild goose chase by the Stockport stewards.

One final note I don’t know who the prat was that was slagging the team off in the stand (with particular emphasis on McGeehan). A brief word you’ve paid your money to attend the game. Travelled either from Colchester or elsewhere and if you are a supporter why waste time and language slagging them off. It doesn’t make anyone play better and what was disappointing after the game is that Cameron McGeehan only made it half way towards the U’s supporters before turning and heading to the changing room. Think about what you do.

So today Pete Wild brings his Barrow team full of confidence to the JCS.

Good and bad news on the injury front for the U’s Akinde, Iandolo and Bandeira are back training but we have now lost Mingi for 6-8 weeks to go with Hall who is out for 4 weeks.

Lawrence remains a long-term injury but the good news is that Joe Taylor is back after the international break.

So, who does ME start with today:

Goodman

Mitchell Kelleher Egbo

Fevrier Read McGeehan Greenidge

Chilvers

Tovide Taylor

Subs:
Smith
Jay
Hopper
Terry
Ihionvien
Cooper
Dallison

Wild is confident, his team are playing well and in Dom Telford he has a consistent goal scorer.

However today the U’s will get the ball rolling with a 3-1 victory. Taylor a brace and Tovide to keep the home wins going.

Weather today will be dry 5 degrees Celsius and sunny. Ideal winter weather in Colchester.

Enjoy the game.

Get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 14:10 - Nov 25 with 2644 viewsdurham_exile

Starting X1

Smith
Mitchell Dallison Egbo
Fevrier McGeehan Read Greenidge
Chilvers
Tovide Taylor

Sub
Collins
Kells
Jay
Hopper
Kennedy
Cooper
Ihionvien

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 15:22 - Nov 25 with 2619 viewsdurham_exile

Cameron McGeehan 1-0

Hope the mouthy so called supporter guy is apologising .

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 15:53 - Nov 25 with 2602 viewsdurham_exile

HT 1-0
6 shots 5 on target

Taylor unlucky.

Come on only 7 points off the Play Offs now.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:03 - Nov 25 with 2594 viewswessex_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 15:53 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

HT 1-0
6 shots 5 on target

Taylor unlucky.

Come on only 7 points off the Play Offs now.

Up the U's

Think there'll be a heap more cards second half.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:08 - Nov 25 with 2583 viewsdurham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:03 - Nov 25 by wessex_exile

Think there'll be a heap more cards second half.

Barrow 3
Colchester 2
Bookings of course.

What price a sending off?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:34 - Nov 25 with 2548 viewsdurham_exile

1-1 og

Come on - no points to be dropped today.

Attendance 3,263

Up the U's
[Post edited 25 Nov 2023 16:35]

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:42 - Nov 25 with 2527 viewsdurham_exile

Tovide off Ihionvien on

Come on, we want the winner.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:49 - Nov 25 with 2525 viewsdurham_exile

Absolute disaster FEvrier sent off and missed the Doncaster game

and now Barrow take the lead 1-2

Unbelievable

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:52 - Nov 25 with 2516 viewsdurham_exile

Thrown away again.

We simply are not ruthless enough and concede too many late goals.

Fevrier is a big miss for Donny Rovers too.

Come on

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:56 - Nov 25 with 2499 viewsdurham_exile

In Cricketing terms an absolute collapse.

No excuse for this. Very poor.

Three points thrown away today.

Up the U's

Technical term is bollocks!

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:56 - Nov 25 with 2499 viewswessex_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:52 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

Thrown away again.

Come on

Now 4-1 - could have got something from the game at one point, but Barrow have been far more clinical - two OG as well!

Up the U's

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:00 - Nov 25 with 2486 viewsMoor_Pinot

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 16:52 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

Thrown away again.

Come on

Durham, we are just neither good, tough nor wise enough.
It's part of the long term malaise.
Be honest these continued results can be predicted these days because to quote the latest inept sacked manager "there's a losing culture at Colchester United".

And he was right.
I don't know how one alters it.
But it's deep rooted and no paradigm shift has been conspecific enough to change it .

As long term supporters we've not known so dark a time even in 1989-91.
We seem to be stuck with it.

And it sucks.

Moor Pinot

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:08 - Nov 25 with 2453 viewsCrashBandicoot

What a load of sh1te, we really need to invest in defence and up front after that load of cr@p.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:10 - Nov 25 with 2449 viewswessex_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:00 - Nov 25 by Moor_Pinot

Be honest these continued results can be predicted these days because to quote the latest inept sacked manager "there's a losing culture at Colchester United".

And he was right.
But it's deep rooted and no paradigm shift has been conspecific enough to change it .

And it sucks.

What I don't get is these are not the stats of a team that loses 4-1 at home...

...but it appears they are!

We can point to McGeehan's open goal miss, or their keeper's double save to deny Taylor, or even Fevrier's red card, which sounded harsh - but something needs to be fixed, and soon! Three points and we could have been two wins away from the play-offs, now we're potentially two defeats away from the relegation zone.

Up the U's

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:29 - Nov 25 with 2376 viewsCrashBandicoot

Is it too early to say etherington out?

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:36 - Nov 25 with 2353 viewswessex_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:29 - Nov 25 by CrashBandicoot

Is it too early to say etherington out?

Yes, but if we're in the same peril post-Xmas, possibly not...

Up the U's

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:44 - Nov 25 with 2334 viewsthrillseeker

I can't speak about that performance - truly shocking.

And to make things worse it was cold
Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:48 - Nov 25 with 2329 viewsnoah4x4

Quite simply, a game of two goalkeepers.

I’ve now watched Tom Smith let in 18 goals in five games. What clown let Hornby go out on loan (albeit he also let in four today!). Smith was at fault for at least two goals and doesn’t command hi area, notably high balls.

It was a game that could have gone any way, and we should have been 3-1 up if not for some brilliant goalkeeping by the Barrow keeper. 1-1 with only a few minutes remaining.

Then Fevrier gets sent off and the wheels completely fall off. I’ve not seen a capitulation like this since Sheffield Utd scored three in extra time. Utterly shocking. Why did we ever get rid of McGreal?
Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 18:32 - Nov 25 with 2247 viewsCrashBandicoot

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:48 - Nov 25 by noah4x4

I’ve now watched Tom Smith let in 18 goals in five games. What clown let Hornby go out on loan (albeit he also let in four today!). Smith was at fault for at least two goals and doesn’t command hi area, notably high balls.

It was a game that could have gone any way, and we should have been 3-1 up if not for some brilliant goalkeeping by the Barrow keeper. 1-1 with only a few minutes remaining.

Then Fevrier gets sent off and the wheels completely fall off. I’ve not seen a capitulation like this since Sheffield Utd scored three in extra time. Utterly shocking. Why did we ever get rid of McGreal?

Ask our useless owner. Apparently Dwayne Johnson was interested in S**t*end. Maybe we should ask him if he fancies the surviving efl essex club and convince him to invest?

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 18:40 - Nov 25 with 2236 viewswessex_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:48 - Nov 25 by noah4x4

Are you forgetting FGR this season? We seem to have this in our locker, and that's the most worrying aspect!

Up the U's

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 23:23 - Nov 25 with 2044 viewsdurham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 17:00 - Nov 25 by Moor_Pinot

And he was right.

And it sucks.

Moor Pinot or should that be More Pinot tonight!!!!

You are absolutely right. The Jekyll and Hyde U's are killing me this season.

I have been to the following games this season (not including International break games where I watched on iFollow):

Bradford Away Lost 2-1
Walsall Away Lost 1-0
Crewe Away Lost 2-1
Grimsby Away Won 3-2
Accrington Away Won 1-0
Shrewsbury Away Lost 3-2
Stockport Away Lost 2-0

I am going to Doncaster on Tuesday night,

Heavens knows which Robert Louis Stevenson character will turn up then.

Our only consistent trait is our inconsistency.

11 defeats from 19 League games tells its own sorry saga.

Seasoned supporters are getting fed up with this fare.

I have just watched the highlights of todays debacle.
The sending off looked harsh and Smith (who was imperious towards the end of last season) was impeded for at least one of the goals today and looks ill at ease as a consequence.

It is shambolic at present. One thing is certain it is all about survival again this season. What a depressing state of affairs.

Doncaster Rovers then no game because of the FA Cup then a feisty encounter with Crawley and then the Wrexham game which I reckon we will win. Such is our topsy turvy season.

In the meantime another shocking result to get out of the system.

I do not understand why Kells is not playing he must be fit.

Taylor still doesn't get the service he needs.

The squad should be better than this and must be sharper in front of goal.

It is all too shockingly familiar.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 10:14 - Nov 26 with 1905 viewsburnsieespana

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 23:23 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

I have been to the following games this season (not including International break games where I watched on iFollow):

Bradford Away Lost 2-1
Walsall Away Lost 1-0
Crewe Away Lost 2-1
Grimsby Away Won 3-2
Accrington Away Won 1-0
Shrewsbury Away Lost 3-2
Stockport Away Lost 2-0

The sending off looked harsh and Smith (who was imperious towards the end of last season) was impeded for at least one of the goals today and looks ill at ease as a consequence.

It is shambolic at present. One thing is certain it is all about survival again this season. What a depressing state of affairs.

Doncaster Rovers then no game because of the FA Cup then a feisty encounter with Crawley and then the Wrexham game which I reckon we will win. Such is our topsy turvy season.

Up the U's

Durham
, make me think Chambers had a far greater influence in the defence than we appreciated. With him organising things loomed like all we're aware of the role they played but now seems to go to pot soon as presume 3 erred.
Tome we should never have let Hornby (although he conceded 6 yesterday) and Newby ( scored yesterday) go on loan as they provided the experience we needed.
Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 12:14 - Nov 26 with 1853 viewsdurham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 10:14 - Nov 26 by burnsieespana

Durham
, make me think Chambers had a far greater influence in the defence than we appreciated. With him organising things loomed like all we're aware of the role they played but now seems to go to pot soon as presume 3 erred.
Tome we should never have let Hornby (although he conceded 6 yesterday) and Newby ( scored yesterday) go on loan as they provided the experience we needed.

Burnsie
It is a sorry state of affairs at the moment.

But I reckon we've had 13 years of decline.

Once again a relegation battle looms although I believe we will survive again.

It is the inconsistency that annoys me.

We have several youngsters who need an experienced head to ensure that like Fevrier they are not influenced.

Wild by name Wild by nature. Barrow got under our skins.

Attendances of just over 3,000 are now the norm but the defeats are mounting up which is disturbing.

ME has got to put things right.

Kells must surely play at Doncaster.

Also play Ihionvien Tovide and Taylor as a front three.

Lots to ponder.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 14:19 - Nov 26 with 1799 viewsbwildered

Back to the basement battle .
One brilliant move in the first half, left Taylor’s finish saved by the keeper, and apart from McGeehan rounding the keeper, that was the positive’s over .
Four crap goals conceded, subs brought far too late.
In the six home half’s of football under ME, only one has shown any resemblance of positivity and performance required.
Apparently the U’s are happier under ME, we are led to believe, a justification of JB removal.
On field nothing has changed, no width and sadly lacking any holding play upfront .
The score looks harsh, a red card given to a wing back should not have resulted to the following football farce .
In Me we have a hybrid of BJ.
Onwards and downwards seems the repeated theme, without change in physical and mental approach.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 15:01 - Nov 26 with 1783 viewsMoor_Pinot

Barrow to come unstuck at the JCS this afternoon on 23:23 - Nov 25 by durham_exile

Bradford Away Lost 2-1
Walsall Away Lost 1-0
Crewe Away Lost 2-1
Grimsby Away Won 3-2
Accrington Away Won 1-0
Shrewsbury Away Lost 3-2
Stockport Away Lost 2-0

Up the U's

Hah!!

Yes indeed Durham. But there's precious little pinot noir in Cornwall and even less vin de qualité available in Cornwall supermarkets. Fortunately I still have contacts with some good wine farmers so I can usually source something better (for less cash).
But in truth more pinot wouldn't erase these performances synonymous with the continual decline of Colchester United. It's hard to disagree with Bewildered and his analysis on this thread whilst I can't argue with your stats either.

Etherington has quite a task to avoid the drop as you say.
He wasn't the right appointment for me - I couldn't have had confidence in someone who didn't even understand the terms of his previous role and placed our club in an embarrassing situation - but he's there. Another novice trying to shuffle a group of reasonably talented but ill-disciplined lads. Very difficult to do that and to change the losing culture.
Oh for some experience and as you say Kelleher needs to play - why did we release Tom?! - along perhaps with Jay but who else? As burnsie says Newby has gone. Hornby too. More of the perplexing decisions made over the last few (frantic) years.

We may have better ingredients than last season but the recipe's the same and so is the outcome only this year somewhat more alarmingly so given the hammerings and late conceded goals. I can't pretend to know how to create a turn around but someone needs to look into the 'how'.

You may have seen the article in the Independent on another club who has fallen far in about twelve years. Yeovil Town - not a club I've the remotest of time for but the article dealt with how they have changed everything and a corner has been turned. Crowds are up.... because at long long last they're winning. Oh to gave a Colchester United doing that!! These days it's impossible to imagine. Mind you I don't want to be in the National South to do it!!

So, as you say, on to Doncaster,now improving and then a break, Crawley then Wrexham. Inconsistent looking oppositions , highly appropriate to our absurd inconsistency. Predicting - your skill Durham - very difficult indeed.
At this point I would simply be happy not to lose any of these games. Small beer (or very average wine!) . But it's hard to hope isn't it?!

I guess everyone will feel different if we win at the Keepmoat so I will cross my fingers for you on Tuesday Durham and leave it at that. We need some leaders and some leadership.

Up the teetering again U's

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024