Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No half measure either 1 or 2 ? 17:16 - Dec 5 with 1664 viewsbwildered

No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 17:57 - Dec 5 with 1647 viewsthrillseeker

Has to be mid table obscurity as I think if we were relegated we would struggle to regain EFL status
No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:07 - Dec 5 with 1641 viewswessex_exile

At present, mid-table obscurity would be a welcome bonus.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 23:44 - Dec 5 with 1557 viewsLeadbelly

The only part of the two options that looks achievable at the moment is relegation.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 10:49 - Dec 6 with 1494 viewsMoor_Pinot

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 23:44 - Dec 5 by Leadbelly

The only part of the two options that looks achievable at the moment is relegation.

Quite so Whalers.

Does anyone else think Etherington's post match interviews sound disjointed, dispirited and defeated? Tired even?
Bit like our performance levels the last several seasons I guess.

How to change such a culture is beyond me.

Moor Pinot

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 13:16 - Dec 6 with 1475 viewsbwildered

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 10:49 - Dec 6 by Moor_Pinot

Quite so Whalers.

Does anyone else think Etherington's post match interviews sound disjointed, dispirited and defeated? Tired even?

Wondered if anything was impressed with that interview ?

If anyone thought he was the new MEssiah , think again ( would liked to proved wrong please ), and think what was the Chairman doing fighting his corner has interim !
Well if he cannot figure something out by Saturday and a performance against his previous employers, cannot see a future to a side that has continued to regress since BG !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 15:52 - Dec 6 with 1460 viewsdurham_exile

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 13:16 - Dec 6 by bwildered

Wondered if anything was impressed with that interview ?

If anyone thought he was the new MEssiah , think again ( would liked to proved wrong please ), and think what was the Chairman doing fighting his corner has interim !
Well if he cannot figure something out by Saturday and a performance against his previous employers, cannot see a future to a side that has continued to regress since BG !

I always look at a managers body language.
ME doesn't instill confidence.

Our problem however is that we are getting through too many managers/ head coach in fact we are advancing backwards.

It is becoming embarrassing.

I genuinely don't know whether ME can turn things around but we simply have to give him until after Christmas because we simply cannot sack managers after half a dozen games.

Crawley clearly is a must win and then we must get something against Parky.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 16:30 - Dec 6 with 1444 viewsMoor_Pinot

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 15:52 - Dec 6 by durham_exile

I always look at a managers body language.
ME doesn't instill confidence.

Our problem however is that we are getting through too many managers/ head coach in fact we are advancing backwards.

It is becoming embarrassing.

I genuinely don't know whether ME can turn things around but we simply have to give him until after Christmas because we simply cannot sack managers after half a dozen games.

Crawley clearly is a must win and then we must get something against Parky.

Up the U's

Yes, that's why I posed my question. I wondered if I was alone in being hugely underwhelmed by Etherington. But I concur, he's there and needs to have time to develop his opportunity.

I simply found Jay much more convincing and intelligent and he threw more light on what's what.

I doubt we'll beat Crawley and fear another trouncing by Wrexham given the almost non league proportions of our goals against in the last month or so. Has any other team conceded so many over a ten game spell recently??!! Two fives, two fours, several threes, the rest escapes me but watching the games there is precious little defensive challenge and opposition teams know this,hence all the balls whipped into our six yard box. I'd hoped Kelleher would improve things but no, so give me Eastman and Kensdale every time in those situations.

So, I don't know either Durham but we must wait and see what Etherington can do in the next month at the very least.

It's a challenging time being a U's fan, but then again, it often has been!

Moor Pinot

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:33 - Dec 7 with 1345 viewswessex_exile

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 16:30 - Dec 6 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, that's why I posed my question. I wondered if I was alone in being hugely underwhelmed by Etherington. But I concur, he's there and needs to have time to develop his opportunity.

I simply found Jay much more convincing and intelligent and he threw more light on what's what.

I doubt we'll beat Crawley and fear another trouncing by Wrexham given the almost non league proportions of our goals against in the last month or so. Has any other team conceded so many over a ten game spell recently??!! Two fives, two fours, several threes, the rest escapes me but watching the games there is precious little defensive challenge and opposition teams know this,hence all the balls whipped into our six yard box. I'd hoped Kelleher would improve things but no, so give me Eastman and Kensdale every time in those situations.

So, I don't know either Durham but we must wait and see what Etherington can do in the next month at the very least.

It's a challenging time being a U's fan, but then again, it often has been!

Perversely, being the U's, we'll probably beat Crawley and Wrexham to continue to paper over the cracks we can all see. Our back line needs leadership, and clearly have less confidence in Smith than Smith does in himself right now - that punch on Tuesday which should have been a regulation catch is a case in point. If we can't get Hornby back are we now looking at giving Collins a chance? I agree with others, Jay was about the only positive from the Hammers game.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:52 - Dec 7 with 1329 viewsSparkfilmsTV

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 10:49 - Dec 6 by Moor_Pinot

Quite so Whalers.

Matt Etherington's post match interviews, in fact anything l have heard from him sound downbeat and if l may say, sadly uninspiring.

That said, even l think it is unfair to load any more on his shoulders as there appear to be problems both on the field and off it which are not of his making.

I listened to some of the first half radio commentary on Tuesday evening and after the half hour mark l had to switch it off. Even the commentary team sounded jaded which is no surprise after four years of trailing around the country and having to endure far too many below par performances.

I didn't see the result until around 10.30 and wasn't in the least bit surprised by the scoreline.

The problems at the club go far deeper than the Head Coach.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 20:03]
No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:21 - Dec 8 with 1229 viewsCrashBandicoot

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:52 - Dec 7 by SparkfilmsTV

Matt Etherington's post match interviews, in fact anything l have heard from him sound downbeat and if l may say, sadly uninspiring.

That said, even l think it is unfair to load any more on his shoulders as there appear to be problems both on the field and off it which are not of his making.

I listened to some of the first half radio commentary on Tuesday evening and after the half hour mark l had to switch it off. Even the commentary team sounded jaded which is no surprise after four years of trailing around the country and having to endure far too many below par performances.

I didn't see the result until around 10.30 and wasn't in the least bit surprised by the scoreline.

The problems at the club go far deeper than the Head Coach.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 20:03]

I think the main problems are:

RC insisting on the club being dependent on young players and being reluctant to bring many vital experienced players who provide the team with backbone that
the youngsters can learn from and adapt to.

RC putting an inexperienced management team in charge and gambling on younger head coaches rather than an older and solidly experienced head coach with a proven track record in L2.

We also need someone who isn't afraid to drop under performers or players lacking confidence instead of keep playing them in the hope that they will improve.

If we get a bad result against Crawley then ME seriously needs to go as he is looking less likely to inspire the team and bring in someone with a proven L2 track record.

Then we need to loan out, release or sell those playing badly in favour of bringing better signings in who will provide much needed stability and backbone to the team instead of keep gambling on even more youngsters. For goodness sake we have an academy full of them.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 19:18 - Dec 8 with 1213 viewswessex_exile

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:21 - Dec 8 by CrashBandicoot

RC insisting on the club being dependent on young players and being reluctant to bring many vital experienced players who provide the team with backbone that

RC putting an inexperienced management team in charge and gambling on younger head coaches rather than an older and solidly experienced head coach with a proven track record in L2.

We also need someone who isn't afraid to drop under performers or players lacking confidence instead of keep playing them in the hope that they will improve.

If we get a bad result against Crawley then ME seriously needs to go as he is looking less likely to inspire the team and bring in someone with a proven L2 track record.

Then we need to loan out, release or sell those playing badly in favour of bringing better signings in who will provide much needed stability and backbone to the team instead of keep gambling on even more youngsters. For goodness sake we have an academy full of them.

None of what you say is wrong, or I fundamentally disagree with - but - the academy business model will rely on promising youngsters getting first team experience to ramp up their value on the transfer market. Tchamadeu is a perfect recent example. Otherwise, we end up with an U21 side brimming with talent on the payroll, and limited opportunities to convert those ongoing investments into profitable cash in the bank.

As for Matty Etherington, I want to believe he can turn around the problems with the apparent 'losing' culture at the club, and I have seen enough to believe he has promise, but the last few weeks have been difficult to reconcile with that belief. Three games leading up to Xmas, two at home, so I'd say nothing less than 4pts will be needed to see him carry on into and beyond the transfer window, and even 4pts might be a stretch as far as Robbie Cowling is concerned? Six points (assuming we will lose at Wrexham) will see him here until the summer, guaranteed.

Up the U's

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 22:34 - Dec 8 with 1187 viewsghughes11

No half measure either 1 or 2 ? on 18:21 - Dec 8 by CrashBandicoot

We had a whole team full of experience for the last 2 seasons and they were an utter disaster too!

Biggest issue for me has been the Head Coaches - either not good enough or not being given enough time!

I thought Garner was going to be a long-term project with some ups and downs on the way, but at least we would have had a bit of consistency in the way we played, the players/squad and management team - but nope, gone before Christmas!

Wayne Brown back in the New Year! Happy 2024 Col U fans

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024