Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's 23:36 - Feb 2 with 3024 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend sees unbeaten Colchester United under DC play host to FGR now led by Steve “Sombrero” Cotterill. More of that later.

It would be remarkably remiss of me to fail to mention last Saturday’s game at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium against Morecambe.

With youngest son in tow, we travelled the mere 63 miles to Morecambe via Atkinson’s fish n chips on Albert Road and a short distance from the ground. As usual they were outstanding (even giving PAPAs a run for their money). They do a superb haddock and chips, a stone’s throw from the sea front.

Parking at the ground is in the Primary school and for £5 (all of which goes to help the local school) it is good value.

Morecambe have stopped programmes and like Crewe now produce a monthly magazine which devotes a two-page spread to the teams playing Morecambe that period. At £4 it is reasonable but no substitute for a matchday programme.

I was really looking forward to the game mainly because it was my first chance to see the Super U’s under DC and NC management. The first change was to see DC out with the players prior to kick off and sorting the training. The 180 faithful amongst a crowd of 3,383 were vocal from the outset and the rapport between supporters and manager was tangible.

DC had lined up:

Goodman

Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Richardson Smith McGeehan Read

Chilvers Fevrier

Hopper

Subs:
Hornby
Edwards
Wilkinson for Chilvers 62
Dallison for Harbottle 72
Anderson for Fevrier 72
Jay for McGeehan 88
Akinde for Hopper 88

This was also my first opportunity to see our new loan signings; Alistair Smith, Riley Harbottle and Harry Anderson. Plus, I had yet to watch Conor Wilkinson in a U’s shirt.

I was pleased that DC had only made two changes to my predicted line up with Iandolo and Hall for Dallison and Edwards. Still DC knows best!

The crowd was larger than hitherto more than twice the size of the last crowd that I saw at the Mazuma/Globe arena. The noise generated from the faithful was absolutely deafening and they sang throughout. At times you could hear a pin drop from the Shrimpers.
Harbottle was a real force at the back for the U’s. Richardson had his best game for the U’s bar none. Alistair Smith was absolutely outstanding, covering virtually the entire pitch, breaking up their attacks, starting our own. I don’t believe that he misplaced one pass all afternoon. Lincoln must have some amazing midfield players if they can afford to loan Smith.

It is a long time since I have seen Colchester control a game for such long periods. 17 shots, 3 on target and 9 corners produced a satisfied and delighted U’s support. Some years ago, under Lambert we went to Carlisle and won 2-0 in what was a controlled game of football. This was not dissimilar.

Richardson and Iandolo offered outlets from the back. The aforementioned Smith was superb and Arthur Read was simply sublime.

On 27 minutes we won a free kick 25 yards from goal and slightly to the right as we looked at it. Although Read and Chilvers stood over it there was only player who deserved to take the kick. I said to Stuart – top corner will do nicely. And so, it proved as Read got the ball up and over the wall and it hit the top right hand of the net leaving Mair in the Morecambe goal no chance whatsoever. A free kick of such brilliance, it deserved to win any game.

Morecambe were stunned, but in truth had no answer to the U’s cultured football. None of the playing out from the back nonsense, just smart passing football and some of the intricate passes were worthy of the top of league one rather than nest the foot of league two.

Playing a higher line and pressing the opposition back allowed the energetic Hopper to work hard up front and Fevrier was a willing runner at their full backs.

We all wondered when the second goal was coming.

It was good to see Kevin at half time and Noah joined us for the second half. Interestingly he opined that the chat in the refreshment queue at half time was that we would give a penalty away. We didn’t have long to wait. Only 50 seconds in the second half and a theatrical dive was judged by the referee to warrant a penalty. Harsh on the U’s.

Garner stepped up and Owen Goodman went to his left (our right) and saved brilliantly. It was justice as far as I was concerned.

Chilvers was replaced by Wilkinson on 62 minutes and this was the first time that I had seen him (CW) in a U’s shirt. A real handful and DC has him playing midfield where he is both effective and an imposing figure.

Dallison came on for the hard-working Harbottle on 72 minutes together with Anderson for Fevrier. Now Jaydon Fevrier had gone off on the far side of the pitch and was walking around the long way back to the dugout. As he drew near to the faithful we all stood applauding him and I missed the agricultural challenge on McGeehan by Rawson the Morecambe centre back.

McGeehan was clearly hurt and blood was coming from a head injury. He was patched up by the physio and was adamant that he wanted to carry on. Rawson was only booked by the ref. After changing his shirt Cameron came back on and the game continued.

Morecambe huffed and puffed but were short on energy, skill and real chances. DC made his final subs on 88 minutes with Jay and Akinde on for McGeehan and Hopper respectively.

The referee managed to find 8 minutes of additional time but there were no serious concerns and we deservedly won the game.

Great scenes at the final whistle; with all the players and DC and NC taking the applause. A really nice touch was DC going first to Owen Goodman after his penalty save. Absolute class from the head coach.

A thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish and the level of control from the team was impressive. Interestingly Ged Brannan, 37 points from 27 games believes that Morecambe can mount a play off challenge. I’m not disputing that but they will have rarely played such a good and disciplined team as the U’s this season.

Salford 29 31
Grimsby 28 28
COL U 29 28
Doncaster 28 28
Sutton 29 21
FGR 28 19

It really is 2 from 6 for the drop.

Now apart from Alex Newby joining Altrincham on a permanent basis (previously on loan) and we wish him well, we have made no additional signings and more importantly have not lost any of our star players.

We are however looking for a new head of recruitment after Ross Embleton decided to go to pastures new. We wish Ross well too.

So, this week we play host at the JCS to Cotterill’s basement team. They have re-signed Christian Doidge from Hibs. Their most prolific of strikers he will be a threat on Saturday.

This weekend coincidentally it is Green Football Weekend to raise awareness of climate change. Beware of vegan food offerings!

Now this is the ultimate 6 pointer.

DC will be looking forward to the game and so will the JCS faithful.

As I see it DC need not make any changes to the starting line up from last Saturday. I felt sorry for Owura Edwards (a player that I like) but with Fevrier in such fine form and the arrival of Harry Anderson, his opportunities might become limited.

So, a 3,4,2,1 formation. When Anderson is fully fit I expect him to start perhaps with Fevrier as two out and out wingers.

Goodman

Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Richardson Smith McGeehan Read

Chilvers Fevrier

Hopper

Subs
Hornby Dallison Jay Wilkinson Edwards Anderson Akinde

Now recently I have been banging on about a 17-game unbeaten run and having checked it out this week I was wrong, it was 19 games. Between 19 November 1996 and February 1997, we went 19 games unbeaten under Steve Wignall. 11 wins and 8 draws amongst those 19 matches.

Now we are three games unbeaten and have 17 games remaining. Can lightning strike twice.
Can we go for the rest of the season undefeated (20 games!) Surely only a fool would think so, but why not.

We have to play:
FGR H
Harrogate A
Grimsby H
Accrington H
Sutton A
Salford A
Stockport H
Barrow A
Doncaster H
Walsall H
Mansfield A
Newport H
Tranmere A
Wrexham H
Crawley A
Notts Co A
Crewe H

Maybe four really tough games there but everyone is beatable in the league. No more of this today. Let’s see how we get on tomorrow first.

We owe FGR for the mauling inflicted in Nailsworth earlier in the season. I reckon 4-0 to the Super U’s with Smith getting on the scoresheet, Hopper, Read and Anderson (sub).

Weather will be 12 degrees Celsius, mostly cloudy but dry with a keen breeze.

A decent and expectant crowd at the JCS. Probably 4,500.

Enjoy the game and three more valuable points.

Up the Super Cowley inspired U’s

[Post edited 2 Feb 23:48]

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 00:14 - Feb 3 with 1677 viewswessex_exile

Excellent write-up as always Durham, and completely agree about Alastair Smith, he had a very impressive debut. I'd be happy with an unchanged starting XI, but I was encouraged to hear Danny Cowley emphasise how much it's not just about those that cross the line at the start, but those that finish the game at the end if we're to move forward - proper manager speak!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 00:33 - Feb 3 with 1671 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 00:14 - Feb 3 by wessex_exile

Excellent write-up as always Durham, and completely agree about Alastair Smith, he had a very impressive debut. I'd be happy with an unchanged starting XI, but I was encouraged to hear Danny Cowley emphasise how much it's not just about those that cross the line at the start, but those that finish the game at the end if we're to move forward - proper manager speak!

Wessex that is a great point.
DC really is the real deal.

With a large squad, he is able to ring the changes and his sensible use of substitutes at the business end of the game is literally a game changer.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:04 - Feb 3 with 1598 viewsMoor_Pinot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 00:33 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Wessex that is a great point.
DC really is the real deal.

With a large squad, he is able to ring the changes and his sensible use of substitutes at the business end of the game is literally a game changer.

Up the U's

Lovely Durham, thank you. A grand start to Saturday.
Yes,.....as you and Wessex intimate, we do now have a football manager at long last. As you'll recall I have been unimpressed by all of them for years. Whatever these two achieve they are the real thing.
I'd be happy with not losing today. These are early new times for us and when Parky was new we had down days for some time amongst general positivity.
Anyway, thank you and here's to your 20 game run!!
Hope the 3850 faithful get to see its continuum this afternoon.

Moor Pinot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 11:54 - Feb 3 with 1561 viewsCrashBandicoot

The good thing is that DC will definitely take us forward.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:07 - Feb 3 with 1512 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman

Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Richardson Smith Read Chilvers

Fevrier Hopper Anderson

Sub
Hornby Jay Mingi Akinde Wilkinson Edwards Ihionvien

Good to see Mingi back.

I reckon 3,4,3 today

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:30 - Feb 3 with 1494 viewsRSCOSWORTH

No McGeehan in the squad? Mingi still has a lot of convincing to do for me.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:33 - Feb 3 with 1482 viewsRSCOSWORTH

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:30 - Feb 3 by RSCOSWORTH

No McGeehan in the squad? Mingi still has a lot of convincing to do for me.

Out due to concussion evidently.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:39 - Feb 3 with 1479 viewswessex_exile

Doidge straight into the line-up for FGR - not much of a surprise to be honest.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:43 - Feb 3 with 1475 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:39 - Feb 3 by wessex_exile

Doidge straight into the line-up for FGR - not much of a surprise to be honest.

No they're desperate.

Suspect he will be rusty after his Scottish experience.
Still a striker that needs watching.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:13 - Feb 3 with 1463 viewsdurham_exile

Another penalty

This time we concede.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:29 - Feb 3 with 1442 viewsgerry_us

Just teasing them are we?
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:30 - Feb 3 with 1439 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:29 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Just teasing them are we?

Keep the faith.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:39 - Feb 3 with 1432 viewsnoah4x4

Coming up to HT. 0-2. Same old malaise. Chilvers two good chances, couldn’t hit a barn door. Build up far too slow.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:51 - Feb 3 with 1418 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:39 - Feb 3 by noah4x4

Coming up to HT. 0-2. Same old malaise. Chilvers two good chances, couldn’t hit a barn door. Build up far too slow.

DC to make changes.

Wilkinson and Ihionvien on bench.

For Chilvers and a defender at HT

Come on.

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 15:55 - Feb 3 with 1404 viewsnoah4x4

The referee has now missed multiple brutal FGR off the ball incidents and is ignoring FGR time wasting. Cotterill should be wearing a Sombrero. We are not out of this, but need a bit of Cowley magic.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:06 - Feb 3 with 1376 viewsCrashBandicoot

Useless referee obviously on stale minces payroll fgr either cheating, diving or playing rugby. Esp their no 25...

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:14 - Feb 3 with 1367 viewswessex_exile

Much better start to the second half - we're definitely still in this, but need a goal soon.

Up the U's

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:28 - Feb 3 with 1360 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:14 - Feb 3 by wessex_exile

Much better start to the second half - we're definitely still in this, but need a goal soon.

Alistair Smith

Come on we are right back in this

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:30 - Feb 3 with 1357 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:28 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Alistair Smith

Come on we are right back in this

Desmond
Fevrier
Now for the winner

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:31 - Feb 3 with 1356 viewsgerry_us

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:30 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Desmond
Fevrier
Now for the winner

Told you we were teasing them
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:33 - Feb 3 with 1350 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:31 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Told you we were teasing them

Anderson 3-2

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:34 - Feb 3 with 1347 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:33 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Anderson 3-2

In DC we trust.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:36 - Feb 3 with 1342 viewsgerry_us

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:34 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

In DC we trust.

Up the U's

Don't think we will "park the bus" with this new management. How many more can we get
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:39 - Feb 3 with 1336 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:36 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Don't think we will "park the bus" with this new management. How many more can we get

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:39 - Feb 3 with 1333 viewswessex_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:34 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

In DC we trust.

Up the U's

Goodman error, but still plenty of time yet - what a fantastic fight-back though!

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024