Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's 23:36 - Feb 2 with 3022 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend sees unbeaten Colchester United under DC play host to FGR now led by Steve “Sombrero” Cotterill. More of that later.

It would be remarkably remiss of me to fail to mention last Saturday’s game at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium against Morecambe.

With youngest son in tow, we travelled the mere 63 miles to Morecambe via Atkinson’s fish n chips on Albert Road and a short distance from the ground. As usual they were outstanding (even giving PAPAs a run for their money). They do a superb haddock and chips, a stone’s throw from the sea front.

Parking at the ground is in the Primary school and for £5 (all of which goes to help the local school) it is good value.

Morecambe have stopped programmes and like Crewe now produce a monthly magazine which devotes a two-page spread to the teams playing Morecambe that period. At £4 it is reasonable but no substitute for a matchday programme.

I was really looking forward to the game mainly because it was my first chance to see the Super U’s under DC and NC management. The first change was to see DC out with the players prior to kick off and sorting the training. The 180 faithful amongst a crowd of 3,383 were vocal from the outset and the rapport between supporters and manager was tangible.

DC had lined up:

Goodman

Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Richardson Smith McGeehan Read

Chilvers Fevrier

Hopper

Subs:
Hornby
Edwards
Wilkinson for Chilvers 62
Dallison for Harbottle 72
Anderson for Fevrier 72
Jay for McGeehan 88
Akinde for Hopper 88

This was also my first opportunity to see our new loan signings; Alistair Smith, Riley Harbottle and Harry Anderson. Plus, I had yet to watch Conor Wilkinson in a U’s shirt.

I was pleased that DC had only made two changes to my predicted line up with Iandolo and Hall for Dallison and Edwards. Still DC knows best!

The crowd was larger than hitherto more than twice the size of the last crowd that I saw at the Mazuma/Globe arena. The noise generated from the faithful was absolutely deafening and they sang throughout. At times you could hear a pin drop from the Shrimpers.
Harbottle was a real force at the back for the U’s. Richardson had his best game for the U’s bar none. Alistair Smith was absolutely outstanding, covering virtually the entire pitch, breaking up their attacks, starting our own. I don’t believe that he misplaced one pass all afternoon. Lincoln must have some amazing midfield players if they can afford to loan Smith.

It is a long time since I have seen Colchester control a game for such long periods. 17 shots, 3 on target and 9 corners produced a satisfied and delighted U’s support. Some years ago, under Lambert we went to Carlisle and won 2-0 in what was a controlled game of football. This was not dissimilar.

Richardson and Iandolo offered outlets from the back. The aforementioned Smith was superb and Arthur Read was simply sublime.

On 27 minutes we won a free kick 25 yards from goal and slightly to the right as we looked at it. Although Read and Chilvers stood over it there was only player who deserved to take the kick. I said to Stuart – top corner will do nicely. And so, it proved as Read got the ball up and over the wall and it hit the top right hand of the net leaving Mair in the Morecambe goal no chance whatsoever. A free kick of such brilliance, it deserved to win any game.

Morecambe were stunned, but in truth had no answer to the U’s cultured football. None of the playing out from the back nonsense, just smart passing football and some of the intricate passes were worthy of the top of league one rather than nest the foot of league two.

Playing a higher line and pressing the opposition back allowed the energetic Hopper to work hard up front and Fevrier was a willing runner at their full backs.

We all wondered when the second goal was coming.

It was good to see Kevin at half time and Noah joined us for the second half. Interestingly he opined that the chat in the refreshment queue at half time was that we would give a penalty away. We didn’t have long to wait. Only 50 seconds in the second half and a theatrical dive was judged by the referee to warrant a penalty. Harsh on the U’s.

Garner stepped up and Owen Goodman went to his left (our right) and saved brilliantly. It was justice as far as I was concerned.

Chilvers was replaced by Wilkinson on 62 minutes and this was the first time that I had seen him (CW) in a U’s shirt. A real handful and DC has him playing midfield where he is both effective and an imposing figure.

Dallison came on for the hard-working Harbottle on 72 minutes together with Anderson for Fevrier. Now Jaydon Fevrier had gone off on the far side of the pitch and was walking around the long way back to the dugout. As he drew near to the faithful we all stood applauding him and I missed the agricultural challenge on McGeehan by Rawson the Morecambe centre back.

McGeehan was clearly hurt and blood was coming from a head injury. He was patched up by the physio and was adamant that he wanted to carry on. Rawson was only booked by the ref. After changing his shirt Cameron came back on and the game continued.

Morecambe huffed and puffed but were short on energy, skill and real chances. DC made his final subs on 88 minutes with Jay and Akinde on for McGeehan and Hopper respectively.

The referee managed to find 8 minutes of additional time but there were no serious concerns and we deservedly won the game.

Great scenes at the final whistle; with all the players and DC and NC taking the applause. A really nice touch was DC going first to Owen Goodman after his penalty save. Absolute class from the head coach.

A thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish and the level of control from the team was impressive. Interestingly Ged Brannan, 37 points from 27 games believes that Morecambe can mount a play off challenge. I’m not disputing that but they will have rarely played such a good and disciplined team as the U’s this season.

Salford 29 31
Grimsby 28 28
COL U 29 28
Doncaster 28 28
Sutton 29 21
FGR 28 19

It really is 2 from 6 for the drop.

Now apart from Alex Newby joining Altrincham on a permanent basis (previously on loan) and we wish him well, we have made no additional signings and more importantly have not lost any of our star players.

We are however looking for a new head of recruitment after Ross Embleton decided to go to pastures new. We wish Ross well too.

So, this week we play host at the JCS to Cotterill’s basement team. They have re-signed Christian Doidge from Hibs. Their most prolific of strikers he will be a threat on Saturday.

This weekend coincidentally it is Green Football Weekend to raise awareness of climate change. Beware of vegan food offerings!

Now this is the ultimate 6 pointer.

DC will be looking forward to the game and so will the JCS faithful.

As I see it DC need not make any changes to the starting line up from last Saturday. I felt sorry for Owura Edwards (a player that I like) but with Fevrier in such fine form and the arrival of Harry Anderson, his opportunities might become limited.

So, a 3,4,2,1 formation. When Anderson is fully fit I expect him to start perhaps with Fevrier as two out and out wingers.

Goodman

Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Richardson Smith McGeehan Read

Chilvers Fevrier

Hopper

Subs
Hornby Dallison Jay Wilkinson Edwards Anderson Akinde

Now recently I have been banging on about a 17-game unbeaten run and having checked it out this week I was wrong, it was 19 games. Between 19 November 1996 and February 1997, we went 19 games unbeaten under Steve Wignall. 11 wins and 8 draws amongst those 19 matches.

Now we are three games unbeaten and have 17 games remaining. Can lightning strike twice.
Can we go for the rest of the season undefeated (20 games!) Surely only a fool would think so, but why not.

We have to play:
FGR H
Harrogate A
Grimsby H
Accrington H
Sutton A
Salford A
Stockport H
Barrow A
Doncaster H
Walsall H
Mansfield A
Newport H
Tranmere A
Wrexham H
Crawley A
Notts Co A
Crewe H

Maybe four really tough games there but everyone is beatable in the league. No more of this today. Let’s see how we get on tomorrow first.

We owe FGR for the mauling inflicted in Nailsworth earlier in the season. I reckon 4-0 to the Super U’s with Smith getting on the scoresheet, Hopper, Read and Anderson (sub).

Weather will be 12 degrees Celsius, mostly cloudy but dry with a keen breeze.

A decent and expectant crowd at the JCS. Probably 4,500.

Enjoy the game and three more valuable points.

Up the Super Cowley inspired U’s

[Post edited 2 Feb 23:48]

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:40 - Feb 3 with 908 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:39 - Feb 3 by wessex_exile

Goodman error, but still plenty of time yet - what a fantastic fight-back though!

Now 3-3

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:49 - Feb 3 with 889 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:40 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Now 3-3

Wilkinson on for Anderson.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:02 - Feb 3 with 878 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:49 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Wilkinson on for Anderson.

Come on the U's

DC still unbeaten 3-3

Sutton 1 Doncaster 1
Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:04 - Feb 3 with 868 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:02 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

DC still unbeaten 3-3

Sutton 1 Doncaster 1
Up the U's

Attendance 4519

I was 19 out!!

The Cowley factor

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:04 - Feb 3 with 865 viewswessex_exile

Shame we couldn't hang on for the 3 points, but what a second half response! Now let's see that level of intensity for 90 minutes, not just the second 45. Donny, Sutton and Grimsby all get one point as well, no massive damage done.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:05 - Feb 3 with 860 viewsCrashBandicoot

Despite the awful ref and terrible tactics by fgr we got a point but should have won.
[Post edited 3 Feb 18:23]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:12 - Feb 3 with 842 viewsgerry_us

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:36 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Don't think we will "park the bus" with this new management. How many more can we get

Perhaps we should have!
Settle for the draw at half time.
All results in our area drawn.
No harm done.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:16 - Feb 3 with 839 viewswessex_exile

I have to say, for a giraffe on stilts Alastair Smith has got fantastic ball control.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:17 - Feb 3 with 836 viewsdurham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:12 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Perhaps we should have!
Settle for the draw at half time.
All results in our area drawn.
No harm done.

DC still unbeaten.

Harrogate will offer a stiff test next week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:32 - Feb 3 with 824 viewsMoor_Pinot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 17:17 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

DC still unbeaten.

Harrogate will offer a stiff test next week.

Up the U's

Great effort from them all to pull that round from two down after two thirds of the game. Well done all involved. Our first half performances have been poor all season but I am certain the Cowleys are on to it. Maybe Cooper for Chilvers might be worth a go otherwise I can't argue with two fightbacks from 0-2, three draws, a win and four unbeaten. Things have looked up although realistically next week may be tough.
Congratulations on the attendance Durham, brilliant! And clearly the support is trickling back too!

Saturdays are feeling better.
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 18:20 - Feb 3 with 776 viewsCrashBandicoot

Tbh we should have won today, the Ref Neil Hair was clearly hair brained by nature - I think Stevie Wonder could have done a better job tbh.

Thankfully for us Sutton & Doncaster drew (though Sutton were the better side from what I've heard).

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 18:22 - Feb 3 with 775 viewswessex_exile

...also, and to add, players make mistakes all over the pitch all game, but if a goalkeeper makes a mistake it can sometimes be catastrophic. Anyone who wants to beat Owen Goodman up for their 3rd goal today, don't forget that without Owen Goodman last Saturday we probably wouldn't have had 3pts at Morecambe. Sh*t, unfortunately, happens sometimes.

Up the U's

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 18:25 - Feb 3 with 760 viewsSparkfilmsTV

The crowd today was about 1,200 above where it would have been pre Cowley factor.

Let's hope that this time next season Colchester United will be involved in the promotion race and crowds will grow even higher.

I would also expect progress in the cup competitions next season and a far more ambitious vision for the club.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 18:25 - Feb 3 with 768 viewsbwildered

Stood off it and too slow in the first half, back to default.
Great fifteen minutes to get the lead, but a goalie error left us square, which seems to have knocked all the momentum of going forward thereafter.
Although two down, felt like an opportunity lost having getting worked hard in the second to recover the situation.
Nobody played well in the first, so A Smith takes the plaudits for the second .
Momentum must build confidence.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 19:02 - Feb 3 with 740 viewsCrashBandicoot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 18:25 - Feb 3 by bwildered

Stood off it and too slow in the first half, back to default.
Great fifteen minutes to get the lead, but a goalie error left us square, which seems to have knocked all the momentum of going forward thereafter.
Although two down, felt like an opportunity lost having getting worked hard in the second to recover the situation.
Nobody played well in the first, so A Smith takes the plaudits for the second .
Momentum must build confidence.

Yes we need to be playing better throughout the game. It seems that we take a step back in the first half watch what the opposition are doing and then come alive in the 2nd half.

Perhaps putting Chilvers on the bench and giving others a chance would help and going for 2 up front instead of 1 would perhaps work better for us?

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 22:14 - Feb 3 with 660 viewsdurham_exile

Having seen the goals.

The groundsman needs to prepare a better surface. That bobble cost us two points today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:14 - Feb 4 with 536 viewsRSCOSWORTH

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 22:14 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Having seen the goals.

The groundsman needs to prepare a better surface. That bobble cost us two points today.

Up the U's

100%. When you see our pitch compared to Ipswich’s it’s an embarrassment really. We had a very good groundsman for a number of years but he left after his budget was cut evidently.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:43 - Feb 4 with 521 viewsnoah4x4

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:14 - Feb 4 by RSCOSWORTH

100%. When you see our pitch compared to Ipswich’s it’s an embarrassment really. We had a very good groundsman for a number of years but he left after his budget was cut evidently.

He now works for Tesco delivering shopping. Didn’t get the respect or budget he deserved.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:43 - Feb 4 with 521 viewswessex_exile

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:14 - Feb 4 by RSCOSWORTH

It does seem to have deteriorated quite badly through the season. The geology doesn’t help, there’s a lot of clay up there, whereas Layer Rd was on better draining sands and gravels. Portman Road is the same, and they also have the benefit of underlying chalk bedrock. As DG said on the commentary, all they can do for now is patch it up until the grass starts growing in spring. I would have thought they’ll have to do something more substantial over the summer, I can’t believe the Cowleys want to play too often on that surface.

Up the U's

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 10:49 - Feb 4 with 515 viewsnoah4x4

I recall great noise being made when the stadium first opened about how the (clay) top surface had been entirely replaced and reinforced with chopped rubber bands to make the ball bounce evenly. It was great until Dave departed.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 14:31 - Feb 4 with 462 viewsburnsieespana

If I recall at first it was awful before the pitch was relayed after which Dave gor it into good order but it has certainly gone downhill over the last season or two.
[Post edited 4 Feb 14:32]
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:04 - Feb 4 with 436 viewsgerry_us

From what I have read of this thread, if we have decent referee's in our favour and a better pitch we could be in the Championship soon!
Let's get real shall we. We are improving with new management but it will be a long trek considering how far we have fallen in the past few years, and it has not been down to poor referee's and dodgy turf.
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:34 - Feb 4 with 427 viewsCrashBandicoot

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:04 - Feb 4 by gerry_us

From what I have read of this thread, if we have decent referee's in our favour and a better pitch we could be in the Championship soon!
Let's get real shall we. We are improving with new management but it will be a long trek considering how far we have fallen in the past few years, and it has not been down to poor referee's and dodgy turf.

Absolutely - although the referee didn't help yesterday as one of the FGR players did a move that Vince McMahon & Triple H would be proud of on one of our players in an off the ball incident.

We need RC to fully back the Cowley's and bring in decent ground staff to sort the pitch out. Then I think from next season will be a big improvement and we deserve it after all the turmoil of inexperienced head coaches looking to Humes for help over the last few seasons before the Cowley's were appointed..

We are a very good team in the making.
[Post edited 4 Feb 16:34]

FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 16:57 - Feb 4 with 418 viewsthrillseeker

The blame for yesterday's first half performance lies solely with the Cowleys but because of the love in for them they get away with it.

The starting XI was strange considering our winning performance the week before and the formation was not very structured.

2nd half was better but I feel the Cowleys used a 'get out of jail free' card but still end up keeping their unbeaten record in tact.

On another matter - Noah Chilvers - we know there is a player there but he is just going through a bad time that many players experience and somehow we need to raise his confidence levels. What won't help him is the cheering of his name when subbed - nothing like supporting a player.

I agree with others that on current form he should not be starting but at the end of the day you have to trust the Cowleys judgement as if they get it wrong they will be sacked.

In all honesty I wasn't that impressed yesterday and thought we were poor but it could have been a lost worse so I am happy to take a 3-3
[Post edited 4 Feb 17:10]
FGR's green credentials found wanting at the JCS by the Super U's on 23:13 - Feb 4 with 342 viewsghughes11

A few things to add from me after watching on iFollow:

Durham - I love you, we all love you, but please adjust your formation from 3 at the back to the 4, as per the BBC report (finally they got 1 right too) we played the infamous 4-2-3-1 under the Cowleys

Chilvers - couldn't have done much more than put the ball in the back of the net. The abuse he is getting reminds me of the same abuse that Duguid received at a similar age, and it wasn't until after his almost career ending injury that fans saw the effort and commitment Dugy put in - that and his Sh!thousery! This then put him in the 'Legend' status he now sees himself in. Chilvers is only 22 - give the lad a break from the abuse please

Dave the Groundsman - yes, we know he worked miracles at Layer Rd winning many plaudits for the carpet like surface at the 'run-down' stadium - but bloomin' hell the 'god' like status he gets from some supporters at the club makes me think that the statue that Cowling suggested for Humes should instead go to Dave! Wasn't he in charge of the pitch for the infamous Southend match at the WHCS where their defender was building sandcastles in their penalty area while conceding the hilarious own-goal?!?

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024