Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack 19:16 - Feb 14 with 1195 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Thanks to everyone who has endured 'Tigers at Layer Road'.

It can't possibly be to everyones's taste.

Please bare with me as l need to put this in one verse at a time.

Starts with this -

In the tenth month
Nineteen 'O seven
The wind it blew
And the skies were leaden
With dubined boots
And rolled up sleeves
They ran on to the pitch
Through the mud and leaves
The soldier boys
Of The Kings Royal Rifles
Beardmore, Mansfield, Young and Brooks
Ladies and gentlemen
Boys and girls
Here starts the glory of Layer Road

[Post edited 14 Feb 19:18]
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 09:23 - Feb 15 with 432 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Into the second tier we climbed
Brave and fearless our heads held high
From the crumbling concrete our rusty shacks
Cureton and Garcia they did attack
From the Barside, Terrace 3 and Terrace 4
WELCOME TO LAYER ROAD became the call
Town and City how they did fall
The Saints, The Owls, The Tigers, Wolves
If the Oyster boys could see this now
Above the clouds standing proud
All for one the whites and blues
COLCHESTER TOWN, THE MIGHTY U'S

( Concludes - written mostly in my kitchen on Riverside Estate during our final season at Layer Road ).

'Made in Colchester' was dedicated to -

'Every member of the Military that ever served in the proud Garrison town of Colchester'.
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 19:05 - Feb 15 with 401 viewsghughes11

Very good SparkfilmsTV

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 23:25 - Feb 15 with 379 viewswessex_exile

Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 19:05 - Feb 15 by ghughes11

Very good SparkfilmsTV

Agreed, wonderful stuff new Sparky. That really needs someone like Richard Burton reading it as a voice over to Made in Colchester!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 05:34 - Feb 16 with 374 viewsnoah4x4

Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 23:25 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Agreed, wonderful stuff new Sparky. That really needs someone like Richard Burton reading it as a voice over to Made in Colchester!

Great stuff Ray.

It currently ends with success in the Championship at Layer Road. I think any Jobserve sequel must dredge deep into dark satanic mills and Dante’s Inferno territory, spoken in a doom laden Black Adder style sinister voice.

Hopefully, a third chapter might be more uplifting……
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 11:54 - Feb 16 with 349 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I would like to include some of the background to the production of 'Made in Colchester' as l hope it may be of interest to some. I was intending to copy it from the DVD booklet but that may not be in context here.

ITN SOURCE

I spent several days at ITN House in Grays Inn Road viewing archive footage, some of which l commissioned that had previously been featured by the likes of Pathe News and the BBC. Strange to think that hundreds of thousands of reels of film should be stored in a vast basement at ITN.

Suffice to say they had a team there working in a shift pattern to digitise the
content and l think from memory l was told it would take in excess of twenty years. I met some of those who were working on it, mostly aged in their twenties and thirties, and from different corners of the world.

One of the highlights of spending time at ITN ( l used to take students there when l was teaching ) was meeting News anchor Alistair Stewart. He must rank as one of the most polite, engaging and charming of his breed!

Any time Mr Stewart entered the reception at ITN the place seemed to light up. Great respect for this man!
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 13:25 - Feb 19 with 308 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Have just taken a drive around the Layer Road area, several circuits in fact taking in the sights.

There is a pop up vinyl record store at 39 Layer Road this week and it was well worthwhile visiting 'Moonface' who are up from Rochford, Nr. Southend.

Made about eight purchases.

There is a difference to the roads in the surrounding area from those we filmed extensively during 2007 and 2008.

They are a xxxxxxx disgrace. Potholes everywhere.

Looks like the surface of the moon in places.

What the xxxx has happened to this country?

Are we still a country?

Jury must be out on that.
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 19:41 - Mar 4 with 236 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Whilst researching material for 'Made in Colchester' one of the absolute treats was sitting with Mr Dick Graham in his home in St. John's, Colchester during late 2007.

I visited Mr Graham on several occasions and we recorded some of the content. ( Recordings made by Colchester Recalled ).

Something just jumped out at me yesterday on a drive to Dovercourt ( not quite sure why ).

This goes back to lunchtime on the day of Colchester United's 4th Round F.A. Cup 7.30 replay at Layer Road against Rochdale after a pulsating 3-3 epic at Spotlands.

Dick had the squad training on the beach at Frinton and no one even had a transistor radio with them for the lunchtime draw ( that l think would have been broadcast on the radio around 12.30 ).

Dick said something like this....'There was a kid on a bike up on the promenade and he shouted down - Hey Mister, you've got Leeds United if you win tonight'.

Imagine that!

Leeds United were a wonder team at the time, like the top four of today all rolled into one.

Those of us that witnessed the 3-2 victory still speak about it till this day.

Colchester United had an extra player to Leeds United on that incredible afternoon....Dick Graham was on the pitch in spirit.

He drove them on, inspired and masterminded the victory which was partly due to his observation that Leeds were vulnerable to crosses delivered just outside of the six yard box.

😊😊😊 - 🥵🥵
[Post edited 4 Mar 19:45]
Made in Colchester spoken word soundtrack on 17:57 - Mar 11 with 146 viewsSparkfilmsTV

My very first knowledge that Colchester United even existed was as a five year old when l was walking down Margaret Road with my mother on the way to town.

There was a footballer living in our road by the name of John Evans and he had just played for Colchester against Arsenal at Layer Road in an FA Cup tie that ended up in a 2 all draw.

I remember my parents speaking about it.

That was the trigger for me. I began to follow the club as best l could in the those days by way of scanning the headlines, reports and black and white pictures in The Colchester Gazette ( then a weekly on Tuesdays ) and The Colchester Express ( a weekly on Thursdays ).

I was intrigued. The pictures had some kind of magic about them and as a five year old l had no concept of where Layer Road might be.

It seemed like some kind of distant wonderland.

The name's that came up in the headlines included Fenton, Langman, Williams and Ames - and it was Percy Ames our goalkeeper who moved into the house that had been occupied by John Evans.

So as a six year old l would look out for Percy Ames when we went past his house and we got to wave to one another .

Mr Ames had a light blue Ford Anglia.

My father purchased our first car around this time which was a black Vauxhall Wyvern which l would sit in and pretend to drive.

It was another two years before l attended the wonderland and it was to make a deep impression on me.
[Post edited 11 Mar 18:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024