Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. 12:13 - Feb 17 with 1084 viewsdurham_exile

The acid test was always going to be how would the Manager, team and supporters react to our first defeat under the Cowley brothers.

Tuesday night was set up nicely with Grimsby Town as the whipping boys subject to a 6-0 humiliation. Sadly, the weather and the continuing poor JCS playing surface put paid to that. Result another frustration as the team had to sit things out, training at the Dome.

Now last Saturday was a very strange game for a number of reasons. First the atmosphere was library-esque with 308 U’s faithful in much larger attendance 2,706 than we have become accustomed to at the Wetherby Road ground. Even the faithful were strangely quiet.

Secondly we were not able to stand behind the goal as in previous years following some reordering of the ground and lastly the pitch was in a decent condition considering the inclement weather of rain, sleet and snow which had lashed North Yorkshire and County Durham that week.

The food though was good. I had a steak pie with mash and veg and it was excellent, my sons had a burger and a hot dog both of which were equally impressive. Not cheap though but enjoyable.

DC had lined up his players thus:

Goodman
Richardson Harbottle Hall Iandolo
McGeehan Smith
Fevrier Chilvers Anderson
Hopper

Subs
Fevrier off Mingi on 70mins
McGeehan off Jay on 73mins
Hopper off Akinde on 73mins
Chilvers off Wilkinson on 77mins
Dallison
Edwards
Hornby

In form Harrogate were second best essentially up until 70 mins. Frankly we should have been 3-0 and comfortable by half time. There were long periods when you could quite literally hear a pin drop such was the U’s dominance but our profligacy in front of goal was to cost us right at the death.

Yes we missed Arthur Read but Cameron McGeehan was able to return and that let Noah Chilvers back in midfield too.

Things did change when Fevrier was substituted. Mingi looked slow and ponderous and when the double change bringing Jay and Akinde the two of them were thrust up front. Now Akinde is still big and powerful but if he doesn’t receive the service then he will be ineffectual and so it proved. Matt Jay likewise was out of his comfort zone.

Now we have to decide whether Conor Wilkinson is going to play midfield or striker because this playing on the half way line is not helping his game either.

The sucker punch on 93 minutes was Goodman spilling the ball and allowing Muldoon a tap in from about two yards out. Harrogate didn’t deserve it, but that is football.
I’m grateful for Witham for telling me that the Harrogate mascot is Harrogator (that clears up that mystery). However why Super Mario and Pikachu were there too has got be beat.

In truth Saturday was one of those games where despite our press, domination, shots and attacking play we were never actually going to score. It was a tough watch particularly those last 20 minutes when we lost momentum and an eery mist started to develop inside the ground.

We haven’t been involved in a scoreless draw for some time and this looked odds on a hard-won point but then the last knockings and that fateful stumble and the first defeat.

The faithful applauded both team and DC. But it was ultimately three points lost. Tuesday night we didn’t play, Harrogate did and contrived to lose 9-2 at Mansfield.

Today’s opponents also played Tuesday night and won comfortably 2-0 against Wimbledon. John Coleman has assembled a good team of “Owd Reds” who play attractive football. When we won at the Old Crown ground earlier in the season, they pulverised us but without applying the coup de gras and a moment of brilliance from Joe Taylor won the game.

DC will have been incandescent after last week as were Smith and others whose annoyance was plain to see. Collectively they will want to put things right today and I believe they will in an impressive performance with a 4-1 home victory.
But DC has a decision to make.

If Arthur Read is fit then he plays but I’m going to say that he is not ready for 90 minutes and sit this game out.

So, what does DC do about a problem called Noah. I think he plays unless Read is fully fit.

Goodman

McGeehan Smith

Fevrier Chilvers Anderson

Hopper

Subs:
Hornby Dallison Edwards Wilkinson Mingi Jay Ihionvien

Chay Cooper has joined Hartlepool United on loan to gain further game time. He joins up with Courtney Senior and Brennan Dickenson. I must get to a Pools game before the end of the season perhaps, 16 March when they play Scummend at Victoria Park. I can sit in the home stand.

Weather today will be a mild 12 degrees Celsius and cloudy with a breeze but mainly dry.

A decent crowd tempered slight by a lack of Stanley supporters (200) so in the region of 4,300.

Enjoy the game.

Let’s get those three points and a welcome double.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 13:27 - Feb 17 with 1042 viewsBLACKCAT

Ha'way The U's! Today's the day for the brothers to record their first home win!
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 14:12 - Feb 17 with 1005 viewsdurham_exile

Team,

Goodman

Fevrier Smith Chilvers McGeehan

Hopper Akinde

Subs
Hornby Dallison Jay Wilkinson Edwards Mingi Ihionvien

Up the U's

Pity we can't get Taylor back
[Post edited 17 Feb 14:32]

Durham_exile

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 15:49 - Feb 17 with 957 viewsburnsieespana

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 14:12 - Feb 17 by durham_exile

Team,

Goodman

Hopper Akinde

Subs

Up the U's

Chilvers 40min goal. Now go get a couple more.
[Post edited 17 Feb 15:49]
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 15:51 - Feb 17 with 953 viewsgerry_us

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 14:12 - Feb 17 by durham_exile

Team,

Goodman

Hopper Akinde

Subs

Up the U's

How long will Akinde last...55 mins?
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 15:55 - Feb 17 with 948 viewsWitham

Stanley were playing for a point - second half should be interesting
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:31 - Feb 17 with 906 viewsgerry_us

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 15:51 - Feb 17 by gerry_us

How long will Akinde last...55 mins?

Close...65 minutes
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:41 - Feb 17 with 898 viewsgerry_us

1-1
Come on the 11 men!
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:42 - Feb 17 with 894 viewsCrashBandicoot

Come on lads lets push for 3 points

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Login to get fewer ads

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:54 - Feb 17 with 881 viewsMoor_Pinot

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:42 - Feb 17 by CrashBandicoot

Come on lads lets push for 3 points

Nah! We never beat ten men. It's a U's thing .

Moor Pinot

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:56 - Feb 17 with 877 viewsburnsieespana

How many own goals have we scored those season?
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:57 - Feb 17 with 877 viewsCrashBandicoot

Should have been well away by half tine, esp with them down to 10. This emphasises the need to sign a quality striker in the summer transfer window.

On the bright side Sutton are losing and FGR lost...
[Post edited 17 Feb 16:59]

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:59 - Feb 17 with 868 viewsburnsieespana

Really only 4 teams contesting the relegation places!
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:18 - Feb 17 with 840 viewsgerry_us

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:59 - Feb 17 by burnsieespana

Really only 4 teams contesting the relegation places!

Yeah...but one of those is U's
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:20 - Feb 17 with 835 viewswessex_exile

That was so disappointing to concede such a soft own goal when there was little real threat, but we drew and the three beneath us all lost, so we have to take the positives from that. You're right too, looks like we're now in a mini-league of four for relegation, but with 14 games to go and seven points, eight counting goal difference, clear, it's in our own hands right now. It makes next Saturday at Sutton and the rearranged game at home to Grimsby vital. I'll be at Gander Green Lane next Saturday, regardless of engineering works, and three points and other results going our way ought to be enough - fingers crossed!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:25 - Feb 17 with 830 viewsnoah4x4

…….and the prize for the worst own goal ever goes to….
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:27 - Feb 17 with 827 viewsburnsieespana

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:25 - Feb 17 by noah4x4

…….and the prize for the worst own goal ever goes to….

Pray tell us.....
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:43 - Feb 17 with 821 viewsBLACKCAT

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:18 - Feb 17 by gerry_us

Yeah...but one of those is U's

Well one of the four will probably be changing their manager again soon. David Artell was only appointed on 27th November but the Fishy Folk have had enough of him already.
It saddens me because I like Artell and he'd waited twenty months to get another crack at management after leaving Crewe. I believe he's a good manager/head coach but at Crewe he needed considerable time to turn things around and lead The Railwaymen to promotion. Landing mid-season and trying to implement a new style is proving disastrous. They have conceded 27 goals in his seven home matches in charge including SIX against Walsall and FIVE to Notts Co and, today, Donny.
The season could yet have some twists but today was surely the most disappointing result for Colchester since the Cowleys arrived.
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 18:18 - Feb 17 with 800 viewswessex_exile

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 17:43 - Feb 17 by BLACKCAT

Well one of the four will probably be changing their manager again soon. David Artell was only appointed on 27th November but the Fishy Folk have had enough of him already.
It saddens me because I like Artell and he'd waited twenty months to get another crack at management after leaving Crewe. I believe he's a good manager/head coach but at Crewe he needed considerable time to turn things around and lead The Railwaymen to promotion. Landing mid-season and trying to implement a new style is proving disastrous. They have conceded 27 goals in his seven home matches in charge including SIX against Walsall and FIVE to Notts Co and, today, Donny.
The season could yet have some twists but today was surely the most disappointing result for Colchester since the Cowleys arrived.

I think last Saturday was the most disappointing result, but today was close to the most disappointing performance given the context. Can't necessarily blame Harbottle, he did what defenders will instinctively do, stuck a leg out for a goal-bound effort, and the rest is sadly history. Otherwise, thought for a team genuinely challenging for the play-offs, Accrington Stanley were poor, and should have already been down to ten men in the first half for a blatant forearm smash. The second (and completely needless) one, whilst still an obvious red card, was much softer - a case of the referee making up for his error in the first half I reckon.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 19:05 - Feb 17 with 768 viewsbwildered

Yet again only have OURSELVES to blame, another two points dropped. School boy error at the back.
Red card seemed to put us into disarray, thinking the job was done. Ignorance or arrogance ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 20:15 - Feb 17 with 740 viewsthrillseeker

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 18:18 - Feb 17 by wessex_exile

I think last Saturday was the most disappointing result, but today was close to the most disappointing performance given the context. Can't necessarily blame Harbottle, he did what defenders will instinctively do, stuck a leg out for a goal-bound effort, and the rest is sadly history. Otherwise, thought for a team genuinely challenging for the play-offs, Accrington Stanley were poor, and should have already been down to ten men in the first half for a blatant forearm smash. The second (and completely needless) one, whilst still an obvious red card, was much softer - a case of the referee making up for his error in the first half I reckon.

You can't blame Harbottle for the OG that cost us 3 points because

1. How many chances do we want to miss?
2. The lack of communication from Goodman
3. Poor management from the Cowleys
Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 16:49 - Feb 18 with 590 viewsCrashBandicoot

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 20:15 - Feb 17 by thrillseeker

You can't blame Harbottle for the OG that cost us 3 points because

1. How many chances do we want to miss?
2. The lack of communication from Goodman
3. Poor management from the Cowleys

I agree with the first 2 but its not really the Cowleys fault that the players aren't following instructions - DC had to keep instructing Goodman to play the ball forward.

Owd Reds to come unstuck at the JCS today. on 18:28 - Feb 18 with 559 viewsburnsieespana

Can't understand why Hornby doesn't get a game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024