Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something for fans of Led Zeppelin 11:39 - Mar 12 with 442 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Richard Drew Zacron may be an unfamiliar name to some.

Zacron designed the album cover for Led Zeppelin 3 with the revolving wheel. He studied art alongside Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

He died in 2012 and there will be an auction here in Colchester - probably around June featuring artworks, photography and other examples of his output from a glittering career.

As a birthday gift ( mine today ) l have been treated to a preview of what will be sold off later this year.

I am currently doing a number of home visits to advise people ( at no cost ) on valuations for vinyl record collections that can be sold via auctions.

Two auction houses in the UK who we deal with, Omega Auctions up near Liverpool and Wessex Auctions in Chippenham in Wiltshire are the current leaders in this field with warehouse stock from EMI and The BBC still being processed.

Some of which has made itself to Colchester.

My recent preference has been towards acquiring reissues of ultra rare progressive rock from around 1970 and a consignment landed here last week from our good friends Vectis up on Teeside.

🦮🦮🚣🚣

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 19:00 - Mar 12 with 393 viewsnoah4x4

As a “skinhead” teenager I often frequented Sounds Around, a hugely popular instrument, sheet music and vinyl store in Kidderminster, arguably the best in the West Midlands.

My then favoured music genre was Motown, then later Ska & Two Tone (etc), so when introduced to some other, but “hairy” shoppers, such as Robert Plant and Roy Wood, I was unimpressed. Frankly, I was clueless who they were as we were so polarised into skins” or “hairies”. Indeed, I should apologise for my rude disinterest as I didn’t recognise Led Zeppelin as a music force until Whole lotta love became the TOTP theme tune.

It is funny how 50+ years on, and me still bald, and they still hairy, I now appreciate their talent and contribution to the Midland, indeed global, music scene. Clifford T Ward was another local boy, that frequented the shop, albeit he was merely a #1 one hit wonder (with Gaye). I suspect that I probably rubbed shoulders with many other celebrity shoppers, but had zero awareness. I was bright enough to realise that owner, Brian Wilson wasn’t a Beach Boy, but I recall that was the focus of some wind ups with younger, more gullible grammar school kids to which this retail outlet was our Mecca.
Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 20:14 - Mar 12 with 375 viewswessex_exile

I was lucky enough to be at Knebworth for Led Zeppelin's return to the UK after an absence of four years in the first of two concerts at the venue - magnificent stuff!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:02 - Mar 12 with 368 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 20:14 - Mar 12 by wessex_exile

I was lucky enough to be at Knebworth for Led Zeppelin's return to the UK after an absence of four years in the first of two concerts at the venue - magnificent stuff!

What year was that?

I saw Zeppelin's final ever live performance at Knebworth in '79. That was when the revolving lazer beams were shining down on Jimmy Page.

I saw some original photographs of the band today from 1970 to around 1973. The images have some indefinable quality.

As an aside - some followers may be interested to know that there is an individual who still frequents Colchester who jammed with Jimi Hendrix at the UFO club in 1967 in Tottenham Court Road. John Allder ( better known as Twink ) was a central figure in the music scene and was a member of The Pretty Things, Pink Fairies and Hawkwind as a drummer / percussionist.

I first met Twink in 1988.

Before the Pretty Things etc Twink was in Colchester based The Fairies who recorded on the Fontana label ( Phillips as such ).

The Pink Fairies came on stage at The Weeley Festival about 3am.

Twink formed a short lived band by the name of 'Stars' with Syd Barrett and Jack Monkt. Jack also had a local connection as l believe he was a music tutor at The Institute in Sheepen Road.

Syd Barrett was living back in Cambridge when Twink visited him after the episode with Pink Floyd.

I had a conversation with Joe Boyd about ten years ago and the Hendrix jamming sessions were discussed, some of the most innovative and experimental work that Boyd had ever witnessed and he was central to everything progressive back then.

These sessions took place on Friday afternoons with an audience of just a handful of very fortunate people.

Syd Barrett played in these sessions too

As far as l know there were no recordings ever made.

There were taped recordings though of Stars rehearsals but these were lost.
Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:12 - Mar 12 with 362 viewswessex_exile

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:02 - Mar 12 by SparkfilmsTV

What year was that?

I saw Zeppelin's final ever live performance at Knebworth in '79. That was when the revolving lazer beams were shining down on Jimmy Page.

I saw some original photographs of the band today from 1970 to around 1973. The images have some indefinable quality.

As an aside - some followers may be interested to know that there is an individual who still frequents Colchester who jammed with Jimi Hendrix at the UFO club in 1967 in Tottenham Court Road. John Allder ( better known as Twink ) was a central figure in the music scene and was a member of The Pretty Things, Pink Fairies and Hawkwind as a drummer / percussionist.

I first met Twink in 1988.

Before the Pretty Things etc Twink was in Colchester based The Fairies who recorded on the Fontana label ( Phillips as such ).

The Pink Fairies came on stage at The Weeley Festival about 3am.

Twink formed a short lived band by the name of 'Stars' with Syd Barrett and Jack Monkt. Jack also had a local connection as l believe he was a music tutor at The Institute in Sheepen Road.

Syd Barrett was living back in Cambridge when Twink visited him after the episode with Pink Floyd.

I had a conversation with Joe Boyd about ten years ago and the Hendrix jamming sessions were discussed, some of the most innovative and experimental work that Boyd had ever witnessed and he was central to everything progressive back then.

These sessions took place on Friday afternoons with an audience of just a handful of very fortunate people.

Syd Barrett played in these sessions too

As far as l know there were no recordings ever made.

There were taped recordings though of Stars rehearsals but these were lost.

4th August 1979, so you would have been at the follow up one week later on 11th August?

Up the U's

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:16 - Mar 12 with 359 viewswessex_exile

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:12 - Mar 12 by wessex_exile

4th August 1979, so you would have been at the follow up one week later on 11th August?

Btw - best cover of Stairway to Heaven ever!

Up the U's

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:40 - Mar 12 with 349 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:12 - Mar 12 by wessex_exile

Yeah, would have been August 11th - went with a mate and we got lost in the surrounding countryside for a few hours before boarding a milk train at around 5am.

I believe Zeppelin played in Ipswich around '69 and Hendrix played in Chelmsford, and Essex University was a leading venue on the circuit - my second home on Saturday nights.

The Technical College as it was then known was also a popular venue and would often have bands on a Thursday or Friday night so as not to clash with the Uni.

Van Der Graaf Generator played at both the Tech and Uni and l still play their albums to this day.

Wish l could time travel and experience all of that again.
Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 23:37 - Mar 12 with 324 viewswessex_exile

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 21:40 - Mar 12 by SparkfilmsTV

Yeah, would have been August 11th - went with a mate and we got lost in the surrounding countryside for a few hours before boarding a milk train at around 5am.

I believe Zeppelin played in Ipswich around '69 and Hendrix played in Chelmsford, and Essex University was a leading venue on the circuit - my second home on Saturday nights.

The Technical College as it was then known was also a popular venue and would often have bands on a Thursday or Friday night so as not to clash with the Uni.

Van Der Graaf Generator played at both the Tech and Uni and l still play their albums to this day.

Wish l could time travel and experience all of that again.

LOL - it sounds like you and I might have been circulating in the same ecosystem for a while then, particularly if you factor in the Rock Goes To College era for both the Tech and the Uni. For reasons I won't go into, I didn't miss many gigs at either for the 77/78-80+ period.

Up the U's

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 10:04 - Mar 13 with 277 viewsMoor_Pinot

Something for fans of Led Zeppelin on 23:37 - Mar 12 by wessex_exile

LOL - it sounds like you and I might have been circulating in the same ecosystem for a while then, particularly if you factor in the Rock Goes To College era for both the Tech and the Uni. For reasons I won't go into, I didn't miss many gigs at either for the 77/78-80+ period.

Moi aussi Wessex!

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024