Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS 12:49 - Mar 29 with 2130 viewsdurham_exile

Short and sweet this week ahead of a busy Easter programme for the U’s.

I’m still disappointed that we didn’t prevail at Mansfield Town last weekend. Still, we move on and DC will be looking for the same level and intensity of performance today at home to the Exiles.

Graham Coughlan (although I think mainly Joe Dunne) has turned Newport’s fortunes around and they sit in 11th place with 55 points from 39 games. Essentially they are knocking on the door of the play offs. Will Evans picked up from non-league has been their star this season with 22 goals.

I still remember a classic game v Newport at Layer Road in 1977 when we won 5-0 under Bobby Roberts. Bobby Gough and Colin Garwood were stars that day. Despite the scoreline Newport battled until the very end.

Our 22-goal man is plying his trade on loan at the Cowleys old stomping ground. Strangely enough whilst putting some programmes away today I came across the Lincoln v Colchester game from 2019 when we triumphed 3-0 with one of the best performances ever from Sammy Szmodics in his last ever game for the U’s.

This is the start of 9 games in 29 days for the U’s as we look to preserve our league status (again). The reconfigured pitch layout will be used again today and the weather is due to be 13 degrees Celsius at kick off with a 24% chance of precipitation. Cloudy and breezy means conditions will once again be challenging.

Grimsby 38 39 -16
COL U 37 34 -19
Sutton 40 33 -26
FGR 39 33 -27

Another 13 points still looks like the requirement from these 9 games. Three points today is vital in order to put real pressure on Sutton and FGR.

DC has made it clear that the 24 players who have trained this week will be needed in this run of 9 cup finals. Realistically he will be looking at a settled team but key substitutions will be made in games which could turn the balance of the game.

I reckon the following line up today:

Goodman

Mingi Hall Dallison

Fevrier Read McGeehan Smith Anderson

Ihionvien Tovide

Subs:
Hornby Jay Wilkinson Edwards Harbottle Chilvers Iandolo

A bold prediction of 3-0 Colchester. It is about time that we won a game and if our approach is similar to last week then I expect a comfortable U’s victory against a side that will fade away from the play-off scene.

Don’t forget Exiles, iFollow is available today for UK subscribers.

A bumper crowd and a handsome home victory for a memorable Good Friday.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:35 - Mar 29 with 807 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:28 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

This is not for people of a nervous disposition

Sutton lead again at Salford

Smith off Chilvers on

Akinde off Hopper on.

Smith can consider himself unlucky to go off.

Chilvers at the last chance saloon.

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:37 - Mar 29 with 803 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:28 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

This is not for people of a nervous disposition

Sutton lead again at Salford

Get in
Iandolo 1-1

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:42 - Mar 29 with 778 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:37 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

Get in
Iandolo 1-1

Now for the winner

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:44 - Mar 29 with 766 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:42 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

Now for the winner

We need the Ammies to restore parity

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:50 - Mar 29 with 747 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:44 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

We need the Ammies to restore parity

I'm sorry but Chilvers is simply not good enough.
That should have been buried then.

Come on

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:52 - Mar 29 with 740 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:50 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

I'm sorry but Chilvers is simply not good enough.
That should have been buried then.

Come on

7 additional minutes

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:54 - Mar 29 with 734 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:52 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

7 additional minutes

Mingi get in
2-1

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:54 - Mar 29 with 732 viewsburnsieespana

If we can hang onto the lead that goal from Mingi was worth coming over from.Spain
Login to get fewer ads

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:56 - Mar 29 with 721 viewsCrashBandicoot

What?? We're winning a game?? Come on Us please hang on!

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:56 - Mar 29 with 719 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:54 - Mar 29 by burnsieespana

If we can hang onto the lead that goal from Mingi was worth coming over from.Spain

Outstanding

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 17:00 - Mar 29 with 697 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 16:56 - Mar 29 by durham_exile

Outstanding

Thoroughly deserved victory

Bring on the Tranmere

Durham_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 17:20 - Mar 29 with 649 viewswessex_exile

A magnificent result, nothing more than we deserved, and probably should have been by more. We can only beat the teams in front of us, so forget about Sutton's win, they're still a point behind us (2 with goal difference) and we have 3 games in hand. Better still, now only 2 points behind Grimsby, with a game in hand, and we're still to play them at Fortress JobServe. Fantastic stuff!

That was a very good Good Friday - Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 17:28 - Mar 29 with 640 viewsoxfcolu

This is how you grind out a result. Don't care how ugly it gets from now to the end of the season. We need to continue in this way, how's that for stating the obvious.
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 18:02 - Mar 29 with 602 viewsthrillseeker

Brilliant result and let's hope we back it up on Monday
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 18:26 - Mar 29 with 586 viewsbwildered

For once we backed up a decent away point with three at home. With the last few home games not winning, against ten men for a half followed by missing a penalty for victory, conceding a weak goal of our making a win started to look unlikely come half time.
One wonders how the visitors where were they are in the league though, but two great saves by the keeper in open play, but struggled with the corner was his teams downfall . After the far post leveller U’s got their just desserts with Mingi hitting a screamer in the box after a great layoff.
Full credit to all, let’s hope it gives more confidence for the future run in .

Onwards and upwards U’s.
[Post edited 29 Mar 18:48]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 18:32 - Mar 29 with 584 viewsburnsieespana

In th end a huge result.
Worry both goals from defenders
We turned the game around with our substitutes as until then we were going nowhere.
Thought Chilvers was the catalyst with some direct attacking running.
Newport Manager 100% right when he said, before the game they looked at our bench and thought it would win us the game.
Be a few changes for Monday I suspect but a good time to have several of our longgterm injured players returning.
All in all worth coming over from Spain and suffering so many delays on M25/A12 from Gatwick this morning.
Mingi a quality player and you wo der how Portsmouth couldn't agree terms to keep him
[Post edited 29 Mar 18:34]
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 18:37 - Mar 29 with 578 viewswessex_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 18:32 - Mar 29 by burnsieespana

In th end a huge result.
Worry both goals from defenders
We turned the game around with our substitutes as until then we were going nowhere.
Thought Chilvers was the catalyst with some direct attacking running.
Newport Manager 100% right when he said, before the game they looked at our bench and thought it would win us the game.
Be a few changes for Monday I suspect but a good time to have several of our longgterm injured players returning.
All in all worth coming over from Spain and suffering so many delays on M25/A12 from Gatwick this morning.
Mingi a quality player and you wo der how Portsmouth couldn't agree terms to keep him
[Post edited 29 Mar 18:34]

So glad your long trip was rewarded with the result it deserved Burnsie, enjoy the evening in celebration!

Up the U's

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 19:17 - Mar 29 with 544 viewsfranksic1988

Chilvers is sub standard he is no way near good enough. Messes up time and time again.

We struggle to keep clean sheets because with big John upfront it’s so one dimensional. The defence has his in their pocket. We need to start players uptop that can cause trouble with pace. We can’t play it through to big John just to him. Then you have to wait for midfield to link up.

Mingi has been a major plus coming back. I just wish we would have a settled starting line up and not keep chopping and changing.

2 more wins this season and 3/4 draws should see us over.

Can’t get my head round why Bradley was hooked and big John stayed on.
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 23:37 - Mar 29 with 439 viewswessex_exile

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 19:17 - Mar 29 by franksic1988

Chilvers is sub standard he is no way near good enough. Messes up time and time again.

We struggle to keep clean sheets because with big John upfront it’s so one dimensional. The defence has his in their pocket. We need to start players uptop that can cause trouble with pace. We can’t play it through to big John just to him. Then you have to wait for midfield to link up.

Mingi has been a major plus coming back. I just wish we would have a settled starting line up and not keep chopping and changing.

2 more wins this season and 3/4 draws should see us over.

Can’t get my head round why Bradley was hooked and big John stayed on.

But we won - chill out and enjoy!

Up the U's

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 07:15 - Mar 30 with 390 viewsnoah4x4

I thought Akinde had his most effective game. He won numerous attacking headers, sadly none in the box where it really matters, but he at least kept the Newport defence under pressure, preventing their full backs from adventuring forward. The absence of Chilvers meant our press was more effective and McGeehan’s, Minghi’s and Read’s physicality was key. Shame Chilvers can’t add this facet to his game, but as an impact player from the bench when an opposition are tiring is his niche.

We have become more streetwise, look fitter, and I repeat, more physical. Newport fans (unlike moaning Mansfield) gave us the credit we deserved. We are a couple of strikers short of a promotion, but battling displays like this encourage. I came away with tears of joy as it was such an emotional roller coaster. I’ve not felt like this since we moved to the new Stadium, depression suddenly lifted. Tranmere are probably already in the beach. Monday might be a good time to play them. See you all there.
Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 10:53 - Mar 30 with 349 viewsMoor_Pinot

Exiles sent packing to South Wales by DC's Super U's at the JCS on 07:15 - Mar 30 by noah4x4

I thought Akinde had his most effective game. He won numerous attacking headers, sadly none in the box where it really matters, but he at least kept the Newport defence under pressure, preventing their full backs from adventuring forward. The absence of Chilvers meant our press was more effective and McGeehan’s, Minghi’s and Read’s physicality was key. Shame Chilvers can’t add this facet to his game, but as an impact player from the bench when an opposition are tiring is his niche.

We have become more streetwise, look fitter, and I repeat, more physical. Newport fans (unlike moaning Mansfield) gave us the credit we deserved. We are a couple of strikers short of a promotion, but battling displays like this encourage. I came away with tears of joy as it was such an emotional roller coaster. I’ve not felt like this since we moved to the new Stadium, depression suddenly lifted. Tranmere are probably already in the beach. Monday might be a good time to play them. See you all there.

I concur.
We're getting there. A long process for such a patient as was inevitable......and survival is not secure.
But I was elated yesterday, too.
I hope the squad felt as we all did at the whistle.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but it does herald the start of it.

As you say, now for Tranmere.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024