Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today 10:10 - Apr 6 with 3054 viewsdurham_exile

Today is like any other day, the U’s play hosts to another League Two team on an indifferent pitch and three points are up for grabs. However, this is no ordinary game, Wrexham are in town led by the former doyen of Layer Road Phil Parkinson.

Parky led us to the promised land and then made the fundamental mistake of jumping ship to Hull City (really), he now finds himself on the cusp of leading the Welsh team to successive promotions.

Now I’m not going to be sniffy about these achievements despite the fact that I dislike Wrexham, you must admire what Parky has done for the North Wales side who languished in the Non-League for 18 years following their relegation. Of course it helps with Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney bankrolling them.

I have been to the Racecourse on several occasions the last of course was in December 2023 when we lost 2-1 in a game in front of 9,746 that frankly we should have won.

Wrexham were disorganised that day, had a player rightly sent off and should have also had the odious McClean sent off for numerous fouls.

Both teams realise the import of today’s game from opposite ends of the table. Wrexham lost to Donny Rovers in midweek and will be under even more pressure to win today. Parky has already piled on the pressure by stating that Wrexham have to win at the JCS.

Now today is rightly a sell out and I applaud that. Many on the various social media have decried the part time supporters that will be there today. I don’t, we definitely want and need the stadium to be full every week. Except of course there will not be 10,105 in the stadium (official capacity) but fewer than 9,000 because of missing seats and no shows etc. But let’s not knock it, the JCS comes to life when the crowds turn up.

Now we have had a decent Easter with some good results and are unbeaten for four games. However, the overwhelming majority of Colchester supporters would love to be where Wrexham are in the table. Despite this the Welsh team are under pressure and I expect them to not finish the game with eleven players on the field. In many respects this is bad for the U’s who never play well against ten men.

We must make our games in hand to count especially as the postponed game against Stockport is on Tuesday night at the JCS.

Current placings:

Grimsby 40 40
Newport H
Harrogate A
Crewe A
COL U A
Swindon H
Crawley A

Sutton 42 39
Stockport H
Harrogate A
Crawley H
MK Dons A

Colchester 39 38
Wrexham H
Stockport H
Crawley A
Grimsby H
Notts Co A
Doncaster H
Crewe H

FGR 41 36
MK Dons H
Mansfield A
Wrexham A
Morecambe A
Notts Co H

Weather today is a very healthy 19 degrees Celsius with no rain but very breezy courtesy of Storm Kathleen.

A big crowd, safe journey to North Essex. Hopefully the trains (or rather Brothers Lynch and Whelan) will behave themselves for you Wessex.

What about the scoreline. DC will have the U’s fired up for this game. I reckon it’s about time that we won a game handsomely and today is that day. 3-0 to the U’s with Fevrier, Ihionvien and the excellent Smith on the scoresheet.

But what about the team, actually, quite easy today:

Goodman

Mingi Hall Kells Iandolo

Smith McGeehan Read

Fevrier Ihionvien Anderson

Subs:
Hornby Dallison Jay Chilvers Wilkinson Hopper Tovide

Now I don’t think that Samson Tovide will start today after his non-appearance at Tranmere so another intervention from the bench perhaps.

Great though to see Kells back after his stop start season. Jay Mingi has been transformed by the Cowleys and are there any better midfield players than Smith, McGeehan and Read.

We are at home and do not need to fear Wrexham play Fevrier and Anderson in advanced roles to support Bradley. Take the game to them and strike early. We can win and win well.

Enjoy the game and the table will make for better reading tonight.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 23:17 - Apr 6 with 867 viewsdurham_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 21:31 - Apr 6 by wessex_exile

Just got back, not as soon as we'd wanted, but taking 45 minutes just to get out of the park and ride didn't help. What can I say - gutted. We deserved at least a point, but after their equaliser we lost our composure and game control for too long, and paid the price with a very soft second for Wrexham, who frankly were poor for much of the game. I said pre-match that the absolute minimum must be to not do worse than the other two, so with a +1 goal difference swing in our favour, that's a small consolation at least, but it really should have been at least a point.

Have just read DC's scathing attack on the failure to play for the last 30 minutes.

Story of our season. The number of dropped points from winning positions would have secured a play off berth.

This fragility must be lanced and starting on Tuesday night.

Chilvers must be benched and stay there. It is criminal this season that he has simply not contributed enough.

That penalty miss cost us dear and those two points would have strengthened our position which is still perilous.

The truth is there is little between the top and the bottom teams but they find a way to win when not playing well.

Twice losing to Wrexham when we should have won at the Racecourse and secured a point today.

It is bloody annoying.

Roll on the Hatters on Tuesday night.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 01:21 - Apr 7 with 818 viewswessex_exile

Harsh on Noah if I’m honest, considering he only came on with ten minutes of normal time remaining. None of the squad covered themselves with any glory in the later stages of the second half. I appreciate why Read was chosen as MoM, but Akinde deserved it - won pretty much all of the balls punted up to him.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 06:34 - Apr 7 with 772 viewsfranksic1988

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 23:17 - Apr 6 by durham_exile

Have just read DC's scathing attack on the failure to play for the last 30 minutes.

Story of our season. The number of dropped points from winning positions would have secured a play off berth.

This fragility must be lanced and starting on Tuesday night.

Chilvers must be benched and stay there. It is criminal this season that he has simply not contributed enough.

That penalty miss cost us dear and those two points would have strengthened our position which is still perilous.

The truth is there is little between the top and the bottom teams but they find a way to win when not playing well.

Twice losing to Wrexham when we should have won at the Racecourse and secured a point today.

It is bloody annoying.

Roll on the Hatters on Tuesday night.

Up the U's

Agreed on Chilvers. I’m not sure if it’s lack of ability or lack of effort!!! But 9 times out of 10 you knows dam well it only works in the oppositions advantage when he comes on.
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 09:21 - Apr 7 with 694 viewsthrillseeker

We deserved a point

First half - we just about shaded it but in all honesty the overall play by both teams was not great

Second half - we score and then lose our shape and collapse eventually losing match.

Why did we lose shape? Well the blame lies with the Cowley's for their substitutions. At 60 minutes we are winning. They make the changes and suddenly team lose shape and lose match..

I listened to Cowleys BBC Essex rant about final 30 minutes and I just thought that he was the one that created issue with bizarre tactical changes.

Akinde may have been knackered but there was a noticeable difference after he was subbed.

On a side note I thought the referee was decent yesterday
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 09:27 - Apr 7 with 690 viewsburnsieespana

Yes hopefully at this critical time in the season DC has not lost the dresding room after yesterdays comments post game.
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 10:18 - Apr 7 with 663 viewsdurham_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 09:27 - Apr 7 by burnsieespana

Yes hopefully at this critical time in the season DC has not lost the dresding room after yesterdays comments post game.

I don't think so Burnsie.

DC has been very accommodating and I suspect that his frustration boiled over last night.

Tuesday is the acid test to get a reaction.

I have just watched the EFL highlights and interestingly in League Two Wimbledon scored an almost identical goal to the Wrexham winner yesterday.

Unlike Wrexham however the throw in taker kept both his feet behind the touchline when delivering the ball.

Long throws have been a part of the game and I don't decry them but they must be delivered fairly unlike the Wrexham winner which was illegally delivered.

I suppose when you are struggling things don't go for you but a point was the least we deserved from yesterday's encounter.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 11:01 - Apr 7 with 636 viewswessex_exile

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 10:18 - Apr 7 by durham_exile

DC has been very accommodating and I suspect that his frustration boiled over last night.

I have just watched the EFL highlights and interestingly in League Two Wimbledon scored an almost identical goal to the Wrexham winner yesterday.

Unlike Wrexham however the throw in taker kept both his feet behind the touchline when delivering the ball.

Long throws have been a part of the game and I don't decry them but they must be delivered fairly unlike the Wrexham winner which was illegally delivered.

I suppose when you are struggling things don't go for you but a point was the least we deserved from yesterday's encounter.

Up the U's

To be honest, I spotted at least half a dozen dubious or outright illegal throw-ins yesterday, and we were just as guilty as Wrexham. This tends to be the case most games, and very rarely do we get officials willing to confront the issue.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 13:04 - Apr 7 with 574 viewsBLACKCAT

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 10:18 - Apr 7 by durham_exile

Up the U's

I believe and hope you are correct. If any player reacts negatively to DC's post-match comments it will say a lot about them and, whichever division The U's are in next season ( I'm confident it will be League Two) such a player is unlikely to be still at Colchester.
[Post edited 7 Apr 13:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 13:18 - Apr 7 with 568 viewsMoor_Pinot

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 13:04 - Apr 7 by BLACKCAT

I believe and hope you are correct. If any player reacts negatively to DC's post-match comments it will say a lot about them and, whichever division The U's are in next season ( I'm confident it will be League Two) such a player is unlikely to be still at Colchester.
[Post edited 7 Apr 13:05]

Absolutely right Blackcat. The players have a professional responsibility and need to recognize how that plays out. Respect for management and supporters is an element too

Thanks for all your encouragement tis no fun being a U's fan these last three or four years .... and many would say "longer"!!

Moor Pinot

Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 19:36 - Apr 7 with 439 viewsfranksic1988

We are sticking with DC majority of the fans like him / up top likes him. Also let’s be honest who will we get anyway. Personal opinion on some of the football decisions he makes and set up aside. I’d like to see him stick out his contract and not be sacked as per norm after 6 months ( end of the season in his case ) staying in league 2 or not. Colchester has to become a manager friendly club that puts the power and decisions into the managements hands…. If DC feels fit to call them out then that’s DC choice…. Let be honest. The players have got so many managers the sack.
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 09:25 - Apr 8 with 305 viewsWitham

Not entirely footie related but what was the guy in the green gimp outfit doing in E6 at the match ?
Parky shocked by the strength of DC's blue and white army at JCS today on 09:28 - Apr 8 with 305 viewsRSCOSWORTH

We were also upset by the throw in that led to their second goal, especially as it wasn't the first time he'd done it, so my brother looked it up and it appears that it's legal.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11

- have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024