Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS 18:28 - Apr 9 with 2134 viewsdurham_exile

So, yet another defeat on Saturday and just six games to play now. The Cowleys have secured 15 points from 15 games. Frankly too many draws.

Stockport County led by Dave Challinor come with one hand on the League Two Championship and will offer the U’s sternest test of the season.

I went to the game at Edgeley Park where a goal either side of the interval did for the U’s. Yes it was a close game but I am sick and tired of the same old excuses being trotted out from successive managers. The excuses have got to stop and we must find a way to see games out from winning positions.

Our defence is too porous and we repeatedly fail to inflict the killer blow when we had a slender lead. DC was furious after Saturday and rightly so. A goal up and then we failed to play, they equalised and there was an inevitability about the closing stages.

You just knew that Colchester would concede a last-minute goal and so it proved.
Now I have toyed with writing that we have no chance this evening and that we will lose by 3 or 4 goals. I have never written that regardless of who we play or where, so I’m not going to start now.

Instead, I’m going for a narrow 1-0 Colchester victory. We need the game and performance of the season against arguably the best team in the league. Alistair Smith deserves to score the goal.

Time to take the game to the opposition and show a steadfast determination against the Hatters, who if FGR inflict a defeat on Mansfield (quite possible because they were woeful against Crawley) and we lose tonight, then Stockport will be promoted to League One at 9.35pm.

One thing is sure I want to be at Brunton Park next season for the Carlisle game. One of my favourite Away trips (it helps that it is only 55 miles door to door) now that we know they have been relegated.

Let’s consider the remaining fixtures:

Grimsby 41 43
Harrogate A
Crewe A
COL U A
Swindon H
Crawley A

Sutton 43 39
Harrogate A
Crawley H
MK Dons A

Colchester 40 38
Stockport H
Crawley A
Grimsby H
Notts Co A
Doncaster H
Crewe H

FGR 42 36
Mansfield A
Wrexham A
Morecambe A
Notts Co H

Let’s say that FGR have effectively gone and it’s between Sutton and the U’s for the other position. Don’t forget Sutton were dead and buried but four straight wins transformed things and Sutton can win two out of the three and so we need another 7 points minimum from our remaining six games. Grimsby have probably just about saved themselves.

Frankly its shocking and this has to be the last season of abject performances and results and struggle. It does no one any good and is not good for persons of a nervous disposition. No team deserves to stay up on reputation alone, it has to be earned. We have had four years of constant struggle and 16 years of slow decline and it has to stop right now.

The losing culture, negativity and disappointments are legion. John Cleese uttered one of the most apposite lines in any film when he said, “It’s not the despair, I can take the despair, it’s the hope I can’t stand”.

All diehard U’s fans can relate to that, I have experienced that feeling for 54 years, many on this board for a lot longer. But we keep coming back and frankly and bizarrely I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

So, six games to save our season and probably the next few years because it is no easy way back from the National League. Ask Chesterfield, Barnet, Halifax, Aldershot, Oldham, Southend, Rochdale, Hartlepool and York.

The Saltergate crew have managed to get back at long last and would hope to set the league alight next season. We want to be there with them too.

DC rightly exploded post-match, only Colchester can achieve the biggest gate of the season and then take the lead but lose their shape and simply stop playing when they needed it most.

The attendance wont be 8,500 tonight, probably half that (Stockport may well bring more than Wrexham did) but the faithful must get behind our team and inspire them to a memorable win which will kill the fight in Sutton and FGR without question.

But who does DC select:

I understand that Iandolo is unfit and so something like the following is required:

Goodman

Mingi Hall Kells Dallison

Smith McGeehan Read

Fevrier Tovide Anderson

Subs:
Hornby Jay Chilvers Wilkinson Ihionvien Akinde Hopper

We want the table to look like this after tonight’s game:
Grimsby 42 43
COL U 41 41
Sutton 43 39
FGR 43 36

Not wishful thinking, but the result of 90+ minutes of endeavour and commitment from the U’s.

Weather at the JCS will be 10 degrees Celsius with dry conditions but breezy.

Enjoy the game.

iFollow is available to the Exiles.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:42 - Apr 9 with 758 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:39 - Apr 9 by durham_exile

This is so disappointing

5 mins to get a point.

Another give away game.

The Crawley game is now of vital importance.

Very difficult to take tonight.

Durham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:44 - Apr 9 with 751 viewsCrashBandicoot

I despair of them I really do... somethings got to be done amd quickly...

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:45 - Apr 9 with 745 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:44 - Apr 9 by CrashBandicoot

I despair of them I really do... somethings got to be done amd quickly...

I am sicker than a parrot.

Durham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:50 - Apr 9 with 708 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:45 - Apr 9 by durham_exile

I am sicker than a parrot.

Sickening to lose once again.

And watching the Stockport players celebrating is nauseating.

Yes I am a sore loser tonight.

No difference between the teams, except we gave them a soft goal and missed a penalty.

Must win at Crawley now.

Durham_exile

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:59 - Apr 9 with 676 viewsBLACKCAT

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:50 - Apr 9 by durham_exile

Sickening to lose once again.

And watching the Stockport players celebrating is nauseating.

Yes I am a sore loser tonight.

No difference between the teams, except we gave them a soft goal and missed a penalty.

Must win at Crawley now.

A missed penalty away from a very good point but a miss is as good as a mile.
I remain confident The U's won't be relegated but they put you through it; and I'm nearly 300 miles away!
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:33 - Apr 9 with 604 viewsnoah4x4

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:25 - Apr 9 by Moor_Pinot

We've had three penalties this season, missed all of them. Just another symptom of how deeply damaged the U's are.
Garner had it 100% correct - losing culture.
And my goodness it is so deeply ingrown.
It's going to take years.

We also missed three against Cardiff in the League Cup, which means we have missed SIX consecutive penalties. Frankly, that sums up our season. Wasted opportunity, stupid mistakes and a lack of concentration by Goodman between his moments of brilliance.

Yet other than three moments of madness, this was a game where a neutral would never identify which team was at each end of the table. We deserved at least a point. However, after four consecutive wins, I fear the initiative is now with Sutton. Games in hand are only of benefit if we win them. This was perhaps a free hit given FGR and Grimsby lost, but we must take something from Crawley and Grimsby.
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:33 - Apr 9 with 604 viewsthrillseeker

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 21:02 - Apr 9 by durham_exile

TS I am wearing my rose tinted specs

But in truth we are matching our so called illustrious opponents

We can win this.

736 from Stockport

4116 attendance.

Up the U's

Durham - I love your positivity/ rose tinted specs but reality is we are poor

Surprised to see 4116 in attendance with 736 from Stockport
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:36 - Apr 9 with 601 viewsthrillseeker

I will say it again but do the Cowley's get away with a lot because of their name.

Another strange line up, disjointed and strange substitutions.

Overall, very pissed off tonight

Jay Mingi once again our stand out player
Login to get fewer ads

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:45 - Apr 9 with 599 viewswessex_exile

That one was hard to take - to be honest we were much better tonight than we were against Wrexham, and against an infinitely better opponent too. But still we came up short yet again. Everyone will focus on Goodman's error, and McGeehan's penalty, and that is totally relevant, but don't overlook it was Goodman who kept us in the game before that, and McGeehan who got us back in the game after that. Just really hard to take - another game against promotion-elects, another game we showed our potential, but another game we came out with nothing. I guess that's the difference between top of the table and bottom of the table teams.

Fortunately, FGR and Grimsby both lost as well, and so another game is ticked off. Sutton and FGR have three games left, Grimsby four (one against the U's) and we have five. At present, we have to make up one point on Sutton with five games to go compared to their three.

IT'S STILL IN OUR HANDS!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:47 - Apr 9 with 596 viewsbwildered

U’s AGAIN pay the penalty from not picking up point with another spot kick miss. Straightforward save by the keeper , something Goodman was lacking not getting his body behind a spinning deflected effort. The two key moments of the game.
No excuses now in the run in, still all to play for, and in our hands .

Will only have ourselves to blame if remain in the relegation places come the end of the season .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 07:31 - Apr 10 with 471 viewsfranksic1988

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 22:36 - Apr 9 by thrillseeker

I will say it again but do the Cowley's get away with a lot because of their name.

Another strange line up, disjointed and strange substitutions.

Overall, very pissed off tonight

Jay Mingi once again our stand out player

100% if they didn’t have the name with 15 games 2 wins they would be getting the boot! We don’t even have an established starting 11…. We do not have a clear pattern of play. We do not play a striker really. We actually set up just not to loose. By playing hopper and big John… you’re just playing 2 advanced midfielders! I don’t really understand why no one questions them!
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 09:05 - Apr 10 with 422 viewsBLACKCAT

I've just read a few pages of the match thread on Yellowboard, the main Stockport County message-board. Quite a number of complimentary comments about Colchester's performance, for example "Quick word on Col U, travesty if they go down, nowhere near as bad as FGR, Sutton or Grimsby"; "How on Earth are they threatened with relegation?" and "They (Colchester) are a horrible, bruising comfortable mid-table side. Cowleys can clearly coach. Can we have Fevrier?"
[Post edited 10 Apr 9:07]
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 09:13 - Apr 10 with 407 viewsWitham

This was a better watch than some games this season. After Chilvers penalty miss we were told he wasn't the first choice and I am sure McGeehan wasn't named as first choice either.
Stockport played rugby the way they held onto our players.
Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 10:30 - Apr 10 with 372 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I think the last two matches have shown how important belief is in football. Stockport and Wrexham believed they should win and we didn't. This team has had very little confidence and belief the last few seasons, apart from a couple of short spells, and I'm not sure how it gets built up again but it can be done.

Crawley aren't great at home, Grimsby aren't great anywhere and Notts County blow hot and cold, Doncaster might be on their holidays and Crewe more worried about their play-off games. Anything from Wrexham and Stockport, who have the best away record in the division, was always going to be a big ask but we now have five winnable games coming up and if we keep playing like we have been then we will secure enough points to still be in this division next season.

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 10:52 - Apr 10 with 366 viewsbwildered

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 10:30 - Apr 10 by RSCOSWORTH

I think the last two matches have shown how important belief is in football. Stockport and Wrexham believed they should win and we didn't. This team has had very little confidence and belief the last few seasons, apart from a couple of short spells, and I'm not sure how it gets built up again but it can be done.

Crawley aren't great at home, Grimsby aren't great anywhere and Notts County blow hot and cold, Doncaster might be on their holidays and Crewe more worried about their play-off games. Anything from Wrexham and Stockport, who have the best away record in the division, was always going to be a big ask but we now have five winnable games coming up and if we keep playing like we have been then we will secure enough points to still be in this division next season.

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!

Totally agree RSC.
All free shot games are over. Played to two top sides of the division and given both a game and critically the goal difference did not take a battering.
Must NOT let Sutton gain a four pointer gap at this stage .
Now onwards and upwards .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 12:10 - Apr 10 with 329 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Hatters to lose their heads in defeat to DC's blue and white army at the JCS on 10:52 - Apr 10 by bwildered

Totally agree RSC.
All free shot games are over. Played to two top sides of the division and given both a game and critically the goal difference did not take a battering.
Must NOT let Sutton gain a four pointer gap at this stage .
Now onwards and upwards .

Definitely an important factor that as it could be worth an extra point come the end of the season.

Yes that does worry me as well as mentally that could be difficult to overcome. Four points from our next two games gets us out of the bottom two regardless of what Sutton do though. And would leave them needing points from Crawley at home (third best away record) and MK away (second best home record).

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024