Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Defence 17:37 - Apr 13 with 948 viewsunion_jack

It’s hard to criticise after two clean sheets and reasonably good performances by individuals but our stats of conceding from set pieces and not being particularly good aerially concerns me. A case in point was that near miss at the end today which I thought was going in to be honest.

I watched Blackburn deal with so much today as a unit and wished we had that. Of course, consistency isn’t there with them or else they wouldn’t be in the position they are but they certainly showed what they could do.

Views anyone?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Our Defence on 17:51 - Apr 13 with 899 viewsmax936

I agree Union, good thread!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Our Defence on 17:51 - Apr 13 with 894 viewsonehunglow

That miss was crucial,the most significant part of our season.
Failing to win today wouod have kept the concern hot.
We were as we have been most of the season.
The Uke must be absolute dross not to appear even for 5mins . Even Whitaker was allowed 5 mins in injury time by our master manager of the time

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Our Defence on 18:38 - Apr 13 with 840 viewsReslovenSwan1

Our Defence on 17:51 - Apr 13 by onehunglow

That miss was crucial,the most significant part of our season.
Failing to win today wouod have kept the concern hot.
We were as we have been most of the season.
The Uke must be absolute dross not to appear even for 5mins . Even Whitaker was allowed 5 mins in injury time by our master manager of the time

It is not an issue form me. He is no longer a Swansea player in effect. He will not appear again . I hope Kyrell Wilson will see game time before the and of the season.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Our Defence on 18:41 - Apr 13 with 832 viewsonehunglow

Our Defence on 18:38 - Apr 13 by ReslovenSwan1

It is not an issue form me. He is no longer a Swansea player in effect. He will not appear again . I hope Kyrell Wilson will see game time before the and of the season.

But it gives context
He cannot be worse than Yates who really does have to be dismissed out of the club

Our Defence on 19:09 - Apr 13 with 805 viewsjack247

Our Defence on 18:38 - Apr 13 by ReslovenSwan1

Surely it would make sense to give him half hour or so in the next three games and put him in the window.

There must be teams looking for powerful target men, particularly as he’s quicker than you’d expect. Reduce the inevitable loss a bit.

But yes, ideal time to try Kyrell Wilson.
Our Defence on 19:47 - Apr 13 with 777 viewsunion_jack

Can we move this thread back to the subject of our defence rather than Kuhkarevych?

Our Defence on 20:16 - Apr 13 with 746 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Blackburn got a grip after conceding 5 at Ashton Gate in midweek. Today Bristol failed to score against Huddersfield.

The crazy inconsistency that is the Championship.
Our Defence on 20:27 - Apr 13 with 727 viewsvetchonian

absolutely....today and Wednesday night Cabango in particular showed what a good defender and leader he is.

Yes he sometimes makes mistakes when distrubting the ball but his defending is top notch Franz Vecimbuer he is not but then under Martinez neither were Monk and Ash they defended and then gave the ball to Leon ti distribute....yes Ash would ping a crissfield pass but rarely was he or Monk or Tatey seen bringing the ball out if defence at their feet as Martin and Luke demands

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Our Defence on 20:32 - Apr 13 with 711 viewsunion_jack

Our Defence on 20:16 - Apr 13 by JumpingJackFlash

Blackburn got a grip after conceding 5 at Ashton Gate in midweek. Today Bristol failed to score against Huddersfield.

The crazy inconsistency that is the Championship.

They did score. Late, but they did.

Our Defence on 20:50 - Apr 13 with 683 viewsSullutaCreturned

I remember when Martin arrived he said he'd start with the defence then work his way forward. Our defence hasn't been great ever since then.

It used to be a basic idea, build from the back, get your defence sorted and build from there. Managers seem far more concerned these days with possession stats and data than what atually happens on the pitch on match days.
I inderstand data is important but to a point, surely? After a certain point you have to give players a chance to see what they can do, they may prove you wrong.

Bony was one of our best defenders at set pieces so yes, Kuharevych may be habndy too but I guess we'll never know.
Our Defence on 20:54 - Apr 13 with 676 viewsDr_Winston

Our Defence on 20:50 - Apr 13 by SullutaCreturned

I remember when Martin arrived he said he'd start with the defence then work his way forward. Our defence hasn't been great ever since then.

It used to be a basic idea, build from the back, get your defence sorted and build from there. Managers seem far more concerned these days with possession stats and data than what atually happens on the pitch on match days.
I inderstand data is important but to a point, surely? After a certain point you have to give players a chance to see what they can do, they may prove you wrong.

Bony was one of our best defenders at set pieces so yes, Kuharevych may be habndy too but I guess we'll never know.

The obsession with stats is basically everything that is wrong with the modern game.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Our Defence on 21:05 - Apr 13 with 648 viewsonehunglow

Our Defence on 20:54 - Apr 13 by Dr_Winston

The obsession with stats is basically everything that is wrong with the modern game.

Jesus. Again,I am in full agreement with you.

Our Defence on 08:23 - Apr 14 with 499 viewsThornburyswan

Good points UJ & agree I thought that 94th minute header was going in too - personally I think our current back 4 plus Wood with Rushworth behind them is a decent base but way too many times this season they seem to get lulled into a passive approach where they generally adopt the right positional structure but almost seem to hesitate in putting challenges in & see what the opposition attack can do.

Not sure if that is a coaching thing or a concentration thing but if the aspiration is to become a top 6/8 team then that has to improve.
Our Defence on 09:56 - Apr 14 with 425 viewsRichardO

Our Defence on 08:23 - Apr 14 by Thornburyswan

Good points UJ & agree I thought that 94th minute header was going in too - personally I think our current back 4 plus Wood with Rushworth behind them is a decent base but way too many times this season they seem to get lulled into a passive approach where they generally adopt the right positional structure but almost seem to hesitate in putting challenges in & see what the opposition attack can do.

Not sure if that is a coaching thing or a concentration thing but if the aspiration is to become a top 6/8 team then that has to improve.

The back four is good enough but that is where a lot of our problems lie because in effect we are playing a back two at the back, the marked difference with yesterday's game and the Stoke game was how often Grimes ended up picking the ball off the central duo especially towards the end of the game in an attempt to see the game out but it just invites pressure from the opposition because the path from one side of the pitch is open because the midfield cannot match the numbers with Grimes so deep. OK a team that is loosing will look to put ball into the box but with conceding territory the angles of the balls coming in are far more dangerous than ones from defenders on the halfway line.

Many of us complain about Grimes and Fulton together but we moaned about Latibeaudie and yet if played with a better shape and a different understanding of their role in a team, they have show they can be part of a winning team.

The defence with Key, Tymon, Darling and Cabango has just had two clean sheet and have had other this season when other players have had to step in, it is fine if playing as a defensive unit , the issues are elsewhere and sometime that defensive unit needs help or options if you expect them to play out quickly from the back or push on, so Grimes dropping back at times is advantageous although not so often and it doesn't have to be just Grimes it is keeping our shape and numbers right in the midfield and defence will leaves us less vulnerable and also move effective going forward, we so often leave ourselves out numbered in our attempt to push high up the pitch against Stoke we made sure the numbers were right.

We saw a picture of the Brazilian team of the 70s on one of the threads, they had very talented players going forward but they also had very good team work that snuffed out dangers very quickly and effectively by making sure they were correctly set up going from defence to attack and vice-versa.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024