Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ed Miliband - Energy companies 13:09 - Sep 26 with 13095 viewsCharlie1

I admired the speach and stir he's actually created. Energy companies have been ripping us all off for far to long. He's right to raise and challenge although I'm not sure in such a draconian style. He's made a statement - fine just think it's too far. He could have made the same splash but just differently. I'm not sure his proposals work although it is right to challenge the energy firms.

But, this current labour regime:
1) I can't take Ed Miliband seriously. His voice is just a joke!
2) Ed Balls is one of the most dangerous men on the planet. A loon. That guy in charge of the exchequeor is frightening.

2:59 baby!

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 14:48 - Sep 26 with 2959 viewsdoogi55

jeez the tories do that as well they knifed thatch when she was out the country.
politics is a dog eat dog buisness.

lets wait and see what cameron and osbourne come up with next week.

energy companies do get 25% return.
but buying back rail and any energy company is he big nooooo deft dont want to go back there.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 14:52 - Sep 26 with 2954 viewsPhildo

it is a prices policy. If he does it to the bad guy energy companies why not to everyone else. Tried by labour and Tories in the 70s and eventually gave us Maggie.

No one has really cracked how to control corporations while not trying to buck the market. If you try and fix a market speculators/capitalists bet against your break point. I would be going for much harder anti monopoly rules myself and trying to force the likes of BP Tesco etc into smaller units who compete and keep the market honest because we seem to have ended up with some sort of corporate communism. Politicians seem to have no control at all.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 17:56 - Sep 26 with 2872 viewsted_hendrix

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 13:21 - Sep 26 by johnhoop

Not as scary to me as Michael Gove in charge of Education. That guy really is deranged.

Deranged?
I guess so, he's a QPR ST holder who sits about three rows in front of me in the lower loft.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 18:52 - Sep 26 with 2848 viewsNW5Hoop

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 13:26 - Sep 26 by Clive_Anderson

"And as for lowering the voting age to 16, words fail me"

Young people tend to vote Labour so it makes sense from their point of view. Same reason they increased the size of the public sector and encouraged immigration.

If they are old enough to pay taxes, why are they not old enough to vote? One of the founding principles of representative democracy is no taxation without representation.

It's not as if we don't allow over 18s not to vote if they're stupid and uninterested.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 19:13 - Sep 26 with 2835 viewsYorkRanger

The problem is that the economics don't make sense. Fixing the price they sell at when the price they buy at remains a free market presents a significant risk.

Don't get me wrong I'm No fan of the energy companies but....

Ps first non football subject I've ever posted on....
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 20:33 - Sep 26 with 2804 viewsQPR_John

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 18:52 - Sep 26 by NW5Hoop

If they are old enough to pay taxes, why are they not old enough to vote? One of the founding principles of representative democracy is no taxation without representation.

It's not as if we don't allow over 18s not to vote if they're stupid and uninterested.

Is there a lower age limit for paying taxes
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 21:08 - Sep 26 with 2782 viewsDylanP

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 13:33 - Sep 26 by hoopstilidie

Speaking as someone who had direct dealings with Ed Balls over the Children, Schools and Families Bill I can only say that his ineptitude makes Gove look positively Churchillian in comparison.

By Churchillian, do you mean drunk but full of fulling quips about ugly women?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 00:10 - Sep 27 with 2732 viewsDaiHo0p

OP is obs a wind up merch.
Login to get fewer ads

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 01:36 - Sep 27 with 2713 viewsSonofNorfolt

Re-nationalise the utilities and transport. They should never be in private hands.

Do you have a choice from whom you buy your houses water from?

It is a Sterling printing press for those involved.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:06 - Sep 27 with 2695 viewsjonno

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 01:36 - Sep 27 by SonofNorfolt

Re-nationalise the utilities and transport. They should never be in private hands.

Do you have a choice from whom you buy your houses water from?

It is a Sterling printing press for those involved.

I work for British Gas - and I worked for them before they were privatised. While they were nationalised they lost money every year without fail - and that loss was subsidised by the tax payer. Hugely inefficient and massively overstaffed. If you want to go back to that then fine - your energy costs, whether through extra taxation or your bills (probably both) will rocket alarmingly. As I've already stated - the UK has the cheapest energy in Europe. If and when shale gas fracking finally gets under way those costs will come down massively as well. There's a lot I don't personally like about the company since it's been privatised but I have to admit it's certainly far more efficient - it makes profits (of which most are re-invested into the energy infrastructure - something which never happened under the nationalised company as they never really made a profit) and thus it keeps costs down to it's customers as much as possible. It has no control over the cost of the energy which it has to buy on the free market but it does a lot to mitigate those costs by buying in energy using the futures market etc. It keeps it's other costs down aggressively as well (unfortunately this has meant below inflation pay rises - or even none at all - for a number of years now!). I'm no Tory but I can assure you that re-nationalising the energy sector would be a very bad idea.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 7:08]
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:49 - Sep 27 with 2667 viewsNW5Hoop

Yes, you can start paying taxes from the minute you work and earn enough to meet the threshold. And you can start working full time when you leave school at 16.

As far as I can see there is no good reason to deny 16 year olds the vote. Doesn't matter whether they're stupid or uninterested. Enough adults are. It's a point of principle.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:51 - Sep 27 with 2665 viewsbeeeater

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:06 - Sep 27 by jonno

I work for British Gas - and I worked for them before they were privatised. While they were nationalised they lost money every year without fail - and that loss was subsidised by the tax payer. Hugely inefficient and massively overstaffed. If you want to go back to that then fine - your energy costs, whether through extra taxation or your bills (probably both) will rocket alarmingly. As I've already stated - the UK has the cheapest energy in Europe. If and when shale gas fracking finally gets under way those costs will come down massively as well. There's a lot I don't personally like about the company since it's been privatised but I have to admit it's certainly far more efficient - it makes profits (of which most are re-invested into the energy infrastructure - something which never happened under the nationalised company as they never really made a profit) and thus it keeps costs down to it's customers as much as possible. It has no control over the cost of the energy which it has to buy on the free market but it does a lot to mitigate those costs by buying in energy using the futures market etc. It keeps it's other costs down aggressively as well (unfortunately this has meant below inflation pay rises - or even none at all - for a number of years now!). I'm no Tory but I can assure you that re-nationalising the energy sector would be a very bad idea.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 7:08]

Not really fair to compare. State owned industries were never meant to make a profit. Only serve the state.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:53 - Sep 27 with 2661 viewsDWQPR

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 20:33 - Sep 26 by QPR_John

Is there a lower age limit for paying taxes

Everybody from the day they a born is eligible to pay taxes, whether it be income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax. It is just that the vast vast majority will not because each has their own personal allowance as well. Voti should be from the age of responsibility for me and frankly looking at teenagers now I wouldn't let them near a polling booth until 21, that is if they had the brains to find one. But it is true, Labour would go for this, usually whilst in opposition to boost their vote - I think that the correct word is to gerimander the voting system, as they had done whilst in power, with the vast amount of immigration into this country from areas of the world where we had no obligation, such as Somalia. Tens of thousands of natural Labour voters let in for no apparent reason other than 'political asylum'. And it is only in opposition that they suddenly say 'they got it wrong on immigration'. Yeah, apologise now for something that they would be willing to do again and again to try and establish long term power. Labour are the very worst of a bad bunch of parties and the most untrustworthy of the bunch. Having Ed Milliband in power is really a frightening prospect, but to have Ed Balls next to him will be catastrophic for the nation it really doesn't bear thinking about. Two egotistical loons who should be removed from the gene pool.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:11 - Sep 27 with 2654 viewsconnell10

gets my vote, fantastic idea!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:29 - Sep 27 with 2640 viewsdoogi55

old enough to get in debt to the tune off £30,000
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:38 - Sep 27 with 2253 viewsQPR_John

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:49 - Sep 27 by NW5Hoop

Yes, you can start paying taxes from the minute you work and earn enough to meet the threshold. And you can start working full time when you leave school at 16.

As far as I can see there is no good reason to deny 16 year olds the vote. Doesn't matter whether they're stupid or uninterested. Enough adults are. It's a point of principle.

Exactly my point so the "you can pay taxes at age X so why not have the vote" can be applied to any age group so is not a good reason for changing the voting age. I doubt anybody would want a 5 year old to have the vote.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:40 - Sep 27 with 2251 viewsdoogi55

and you say that 16 yr olds have not got the knowledge to vote when you vote on the principle that you think they are loons and dont you look at the policys.
Have you seen the people who vote bnp ukip and comunist.
I know a lot of 16 yr olds who have more idea. you say most will vote labour so dont give them a vote is just stupid argument .maybe it would do the tories a favour has they would have to start taking theteenages seriously.
well let be honest eds idea has got the enrgy giant publicty machine working overtime it was not about just a price freeze it was also about a new regulationary system in place.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:57 - Sep 27 with 2242 viewsWestminsteRs

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:51 - Sep 27 by beeeater

Not really fair to compare. State owned industries were never meant to make a profit. Only serve the state.

But they didn't even break even. If you would prefer to pay your (probably higher) energy costs) through a different means i.e. taxes and have no choice over from whom you buy it, then fine.

Profits for energy companies are a good thing. Yes, some of it goes to shareholders but a lot is reinvested in the infrastructure. If they are state-run this will again have to come from the Exchequer. The country has only just made a start of paying off its enormous debts.

Similarly, that's why Miliband's energy policy is unwise. I actually thought his speech was very good in terms of delivery and some of the personal content but the policies were nearly universally bonkers. Not only do energy price caps stifle investment but its simple economics. If you're a baker and you're selling a loaf for 50p and the government forces you to keep it at that price for five years. What happens when the price of the ingredients rise and you're making a loss? You stop producing it. No bread = lights going out.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 09:05 - Sep 27 with 2238 viewsMonahoop

Miliband looks like a Jim Henson creation.

A Muppet!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 09:27 - Sep 27 with 2224 viewspomanjou

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:57 - Sep 27 by WestminsteRs

But they didn't even break even. If you would prefer to pay your (probably higher) energy costs) through a different means i.e. taxes and have no choice over from whom you buy it, then fine.

Profits for energy companies are a good thing. Yes, some of it goes to shareholders but a lot is reinvested in the infrastructure. If they are state-run this will again have to come from the Exchequer. The country has only just made a start of paying off its enormous debts.

Similarly, that's why Miliband's energy policy is unwise. I actually thought his speech was very good in terms of delivery and some of the personal content but the policies were nearly universally bonkers. Not only do energy price caps stifle investment but its simple economics. If you're a baker and you're selling a loaf for 50p and the government forces you to keep it at that price for five years. What happens when the price of the ingredients rise and you're making a loss? You stop producing it. No bread = lights going out.

Unwise, without a doubt; completely bonkers, absolutely for sure. As long as he leads the sovietski's they will not have power. Long may he reign.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 09:48 - Sep 27 with 2219 viewsPhildo

Next election will offer Clegg Cameron or Miliband.

If i picked three blokes from the tills at poundland it would be a better lineup
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:00 - Sep 27 with 2213 viewsNW5Hoop

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 08:38 - Sep 27 by QPR_John

Exactly my point so the "you can pay taxes at age X so why not have the vote" can be applied to any age group so is not a good reason for changing the voting age. I doubt anybody would want a 5 year old to have the vote.

Eh? Five year olds can't work full time. You can work full time and pay taxes from 16. Once again, the fundamental principle of representative democracy is: no taxation without representation. That's what the American revolution was fought for. It's not complicated, and it's just.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:29 - Sep 27 with 2198 viewsdoogi55

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 07:51 - Sep 27 by beeeater

also dont forget these companies get goverment susbsides.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:33 - Sep 27 with 2193 viewsMrSheen

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:00 - Sep 27 by NW5Hoop

Eh? Five year olds can't work full time. You can work full time and pay taxes from 16. Once again, the fundamental principle of representative democracy is: no taxation without representation. That's what the American revolution was fought for. It's not complicated, and it's just.

"No representation without taxation" bombed as the Poll Tax.
Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:40 - Sep 27 with 2190 viewsClive_Anderson

Ed Miliband - Energy companies on 10:00 - Sep 27 by NW5Hoop

You can work part-time from 13, although I don't know if they pay tax - I assume so.

I imagine children younger will pay tax through VAT when spending pocket money/ monetary gifts etc.

Prisoners will still pay tax on any money they own from businesses etc. whilst banged up too.

I'm not sure what I think about votes for 16 year olds. The government is busy racking up debts that they'll have to pay off later so it does seem fair. Mind you, you could make the same argument for 1 year olds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024