Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View 13:30 - Feb 15 with 879 viewsnoah4x4

We arrived early at ‘Boundary Park’; sorry, I now mean the ‘SportsDirect.com Park’; and after this experience it is perhaps time for those U’s fans that constantly moan about WHCS and its management to count their blessings...

On the 29th June 1991, Jason Donavan was at number one with “Any dream will do”. The U’s were in the Conference; but Oldham FC were proudly in the First Division; later paying a visit to Wembley in the F.A League Cup before entering the Premier League as an inaugural member; just as we re-entered the Football League. Coming from opposite ends of the spectrum since the advent of the modern football era it is interesting to contrast the ‘dreams’ and current financial fortunes of the two football clubs.

In 2001, Oldham Athletic FC, then managed by Mick Wadsworth, was purchased by Oxford businessman, Chris Moore; who vowed to take them back to the Premier League "inside five years". By 2004 the club was in massive debt and a further fire-sale narrowly staved off liquidation. Since then, the team has struggled both on and off the pitch, but is achieving better fortune on the park this season. With their team unexpectedly riding high in a play-off place, the Latics’ arrogant (but friendly) home fans in the pub were convinced that the minnow U’s were simply lambs to the slaughter given prevailing form whilst ignoring our remarkable record of six prior visits and no defeats. But we are still living Jason’s dreams; when the Latics fall from Cloud Cuckoo Land has been spectacular.

I had not visited the highest venue in the Football League for two seasons and expected to see a much improved ground. But the car park was still a boggy bomb site; and the new stand under construction remains a bare concrete shell. The rest of the ground remains tired and shabby. The former social club has been bulldozed and even the club shop was closed; a move we were reliably informed (by the home cynics) is designed to deliberately force fans to trek to the Sports Direct outlet in town. Hence those away fans that collect badges and fridge magnets were disappointed. It’s arguably the most soul less ground on the planet. By contrast, I feel that WHCS is a paradise.

The typical home gate is around 3,400 despite a top six place, hence not dissimilar to the U’s (e.g. the gates I mean!). But yesterday they achieved 5,668 thanks to an offer that admitted home fans for merely £5. But talking to home fans in the pub a trip to THIS game had become THE Valentines treat for many wives and girlfriends (or partners), after all, they are such big romantics in the north. Whilst that price reduction gesture added 2,000 persons to the gate, a ‘back of a fag packet’ calculation suggests that the home club must have lost around £30,000 in ticket revenue (e.g. when compared to a 3,400 gate at an average of £17). What makes this step so financially stupid is that they didn’t even have a club shop to capitalise upon on the day’s ‘bump’ ancillary sales. After this Oldham performance, will the extra 2,000 ever come back at full prices? I doubt it, most especially the ladies that had been lured with the promise of ‘50 Shades of Grey’ rather than ‘Three Sheds of Gloom’ (and one under construction).

However, away fans in the same end as the discounted home fans were still being charged £22. In a funny sort of way, I am glad that only 74 of us turned up. Inevitably, “£5 and you still don’t sing” became our latest chant and for 88 minutes + 4 we, a tiny handful of faithful drowned them out.

They were silenced after two minutes when Szmodics gambled on a David Fox cross helped by a nod on by Massey finding him at the far post for Sammie to slot in from six yards. The hard working U’s deserved to take all three points in a match that they controlled from the second minute but after the game the Latic’s website disengenuously claimed that we “stole” the points. Rubbish, we were good value.

In the first half, the Latics had zero shots; hence zero on goal; and zero corners; the U’s so successfully snuffed them out. Our back four seemed closer together as a unit so eliminating wide channels through which any dangerous forwards (like Forte) might otherwise run through. The three gates between our back four into these channels were also effectively shut by Messrs Fox, Lapslie and Szmodics. This is not to say that the U’s were negative — just solid.

Up front, we offered plenty of threat. M.O.M Hewitt and Massey were excellent out wide and Porter seemed to win almost every ball. But fortune didn’t quite favour us in the final third; but I suppose that being tight at the back must leave us with a runner short up front. However, a 0-1 lead at half time certainly didn’t flatter us.

In the second half, the game opened up as Oldham pressed for an equaliser. The U’s remained just as solid, and gaps opened in the Latic’s defence. Hewitt, Massey and Szmodics all might have extended our lead on any other day. One mazy run by Briggs where he dribbled through four lines of Latics defenders might have been voted goal of the century had he got a shot away, but a bobble allowed former U’s favourite George Elokobi to get in the way. Our six shots on target to their two summed up our dominance; and only one stung Sam Walker’s fingertips as he made a spectacular diving save to convince his fans that he is the right man between the sticks (sorry Gerry).

Latics manager Lee Johnstone spectacularly threw on all three substitutes in the 57th minute. A friendly steward told us that he does this to show discontent; and is prepared to risk player injury and ten men (but added “it never works”). The same steward confirmed that had the ball entering our net on 89 minutes NOT been flagged for offside it would have been “a travesty of justice”. He reckoned as regards a “honest solid deserving performance” by an away team; it was “the best he has seen this season”; adding, “all we (Latics) gave was £5 of value”. Fair comment!

With MK Dons reeling from consecutive defeats and the U's in more bouyant mood, I think we can look forward to Tuesday with greater confidence. But let's count our blessings "any dream will do".
[Post edited 15 Feb 2015 13:36]
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 16:04 - Feb 15 with 850 viewsgerry_us

Don't be sorry Noah. A few more clean sheets and I could be converted.
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 16:31 - Feb 15 with 846 viewsbwildered

Thanks for the report Noah .
Almost certain the Latics played in the League Cup final v Forest at Wembley has the same Sunday the U's lost their league status at the Shabby losing 4-0 . Mate of mine, who is a Latic exile, but regularly watch the U's, attended the final so remember listening to the radio commentry while we returned from that longest shortest away journey ever made !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 18:26 - Feb 15 with 819 viewswessex_exile

Excellent report as usual Noah, but the highest venue in the football league is actually the Hawthorns believe it or not (doesn't feel like it though when the wind is blowing down off Saddleworth Moor).

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:06 - Feb 15 with 798 viewsnoah4x4

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 18:26 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Excellent report as usual Noah, but the highest venue in the football league is actually the Hawthorns believe it or not (doesn't feel like it though when the wind is blowing down off Saddleworth Moor).

Caught ya Wessex..... I knew somebody would fall into my quiz trap.....

.....I deliberately said ".....at the highest ground in the Football League".

The Hawthorns is in the highest in the Premier League at 551 feet above sea level. But West Bromwich Albion play in the Premier League NOT Football League. Ner ner neeer neeer ner.....

The "Football League" (72) was, of course, the top-level football league in England from its foundation in the 19th century until 1992, when the top 22 clubs split away to form the Premier League. Hence I always thought that Boundary Park at 509 feet was the current correct answer as regards the 'Football League'; that is until today when some brighter spark argued (with full justification) that it is actually Vale Park at 525 feet. Hence, I should edit my post to say "...at the second highest ground in the Football League". But Vale Park also claims to be the widest pitch too; so I shall take an altimeter and tape measure on 3rd April to verify that local geophysicists are not like fishermen with the one that got away.

But watch this space, as if Forest Green Rovers get promoted from the Conference they will then top the 'Football League' height records at 545 feet, but that would still not overtake the Hawthorns (551) as regards highest of senior Football League(s) ground within England (n.b. Motherwell is higher, but obviously is in Scotland). But one day, Buxton FC at 1,000 feet might.......nah....it will never happen...

High-altitude football controversy arose in May 2007 when FIFA introduced a temporary ban on international matches at more than 2,500 metres (8,200 ft) above sea level, citing concerns about players' health and the "unfair" advantage to acclimatised home teams. The ruling meant that Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia would be prevented from hosting any FIFA World Cup qualifiers in their own capital cities. The ban was rescinded in May 2008. 8,500 feet puts even lowly Buxton into perspective! We play on pancakes, and always uncooked at Bradford!

[Post edited 15 Feb 2015 20:21]
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:28 - Feb 15 with 790 viewsdurham_exile

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 18:26 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Saddleworth Moor is about 85 miles from the Hawthorns Wessex so the wind has a good distance to travel.

Great win at Boundary Park.

A home double over the so called best teams in league one would be very welcome.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:31 - Feb 15 with 788 viewsnoah4x4

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:28 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Saddleworth Moor is about 85 miles from the Hawthorns Wessex so the wind has a good distance to travel.

Great win at Boundary Park.

A home double over the so called best teams in league one would be very welcome.

Up the U's

But as the crow flies Durham; I suspect Vale Park gets in the way of any wind flowing between the Latics and Baggies.

"Welcome"; I reckon its a nailed on certain four points if we play like we did at the SportsDirect.Com Park.
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:53 - Feb 15 with 780 viewswessex_exile

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:06 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

Caught ya Wessex..... I knew somebody would fall into my quiz trap.....

.....I deliberately said ".....at the highest ground in the Football League".

The Hawthorns is in the highest in the Premier League at 551 feet above sea level. But West Bromwich Albion play in the Premier League NOT Football League. Ner ner neeer neeer ner.....

The "Football League" (72) was, of course, the top-level football league in England from its foundation in the 19th century until 1992, when the top 22 clubs split away to form the Premier League. Hence I always thought that Boundary Park at 509 feet was the current correct answer as regards the 'Football League'; that is until today when some brighter spark argued (with full justification) that it is actually Vale Park at 525 feet. Hence, I should edit my post to say "...at the second highest ground in the Football League". But Vale Park also claims to be the widest pitch too; so I shall take an altimeter and tape measure on 3rd April to verify that local geophysicists are not like fishermen with the one that got away.

But watch this space, as if Forest Green Rovers get promoted from the Conference they will then top the 'Football League' height records at 545 feet, but that would still not overtake the Hawthorns (551) as regards highest of senior Football League(s) ground within England (n.b. Motherwell is higher, but obviously is in Scotland). But one day, Buxton FC at 1,000 feet might.......nah....it will never happen...

High-altitude football controversy arose in May 2007 when FIFA introduced a temporary ban on international matches at more than 2,500 metres (8,200 ft) above sea level, citing concerns about players' health and the "unfair" advantage to acclimatised home teams. The ruling meant that Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia would be prevented from hosting any FIFA World Cup qualifiers in their own capital cities. The ban was rescinded in May 2008. 8,500 feet puts even lowly Buxton into perspective! We play on pancakes, and always uncooked at Bradford!

[Post edited 15 Feb 2015 20:21]

Hahaha - well done Noah, hook line and sinker (on a technicality I might add). I actually didn't know that even Vale Park was above the CorporateWhoreSportsDirect.com Park, so thanks for the Triv update...

...and well done Durham on the Obtuse Award of the weekend regarding Vale Park - I did of course mean the wind blowing off Saddleworth Moor towards Oldham, but loving (and agreeing with) your description of their 'demilitarised zone' of a car park - makes one yearn for the scramble for street parking at Layer Rd :-)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 08:33 - Feb 16 with 755 viewsSector4

Thanks Noah. Reading about the Valentines offer reminded me of when the U's did a similar thing for a Friday night game in the 90s, I think it may have been against Chester. That must be why she is still Mrs S two decades later.
Login to get fewer ads

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 11:08 - Feb 16 with 739 viewslatics51

I was going to Add that the Hawthorns was higher, but done for me.

I liked the report, and cant argue with most of it, apart from the part about Chris Morres taking over when mick Wadsworth was in charge.

When Chris Moores bought the club, we were managed by the legend Andy Ritchie, and I would also like to point out, we were riding high, top of the league. I cant remember who we lost to, but it meant we dropped to second, giving Moore the perfect opportunity to sack Andy Ritchie to bring his Man, Mick Wadsworth in. Interestingly, Wadsworth appointed Iain Dowie as his number two, giving him his first coaching role.

Anyway, I cant say that Saturday was our finest 90 minutes, but I think Colchester showed a lot of fight, and fully deserved the win. We were not up to scratch ourselves, but I put it down to a combination of a tough midweek fixture, but mostly because your midfield dominated ours, and didnt give us any time on the ball.

Porter won lots in the air, and our defence seemed to panic whenever you got in the box.

So well done, I doubt that any of the extra supporters we got due to the £5 will come back when it is full price again.
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 11:11 - Feb 16 with 738 viewsnoah4x4

Best Valentine's Day offer ever was Swindon Town (away) last year.
"Partners get in for free".

As I stepped off the 'bus I grabbed the hand of another (by now) protesting U's fan; blew him a kiss and dragged him to the ticket window where I announced my undying devotion to him. He squirmed, and then smiled when we saved £26 quid. Now his wife says that I can have him whilst mine wishes me well. Hence we haven’t missed an away match in ages; but for the sake of mutual reputation I travel by bus and he by train.
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 11:33 - Feb 16 with 737 viewsnoah4x4

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 11:08 - Feb 16 by latics51

I was going to Add that the Hawthorns was higher, but done for me.

I liked the report, and cant argue with most of it, apart from the part about Chris Morres taking over when mick Wadsworth was in charge.

When Chris Moores bought the club, we were managed by the legend Andy Ritchie, and I would also like to point out, we were riding high, top of the league. I cant remember who we lost to, but it meant we dropped to second, giving Moore the perfect opportunity to sack Andy Ritchie to bring his Man, Mick Wadsworth in. Interestingly, Wadsworth appointed Iain Dowie as his number two, giving him his first coaching role.

Anyway, I cant say that Saturday was our finest 90 minutes, but I think Colchester showed a lot of fight, and fully deserved the win. We were not up to scratch ourselves, but I put it down to a combination of a tough midweek fixture, but mostly because your midfield dominated ours, and didnt give us any time on the ball.

Porter won lots in the air, and our defence seemed to panic whenever you got in the box.

So well done, I doubt that any of the extra supporters we got due to the £5 will come back when it is full price again.

Thanks Latics51 for the minor timing correction about Mick Wadsworth. I deliberately mentioned him to provoke a reaction as he is affectionately know as "Mick that Bastard Wadsworth" in these parts.

Wadsworth was Colchester Manager for 24 games from January 1999. He brought in a host of new players and the club escaped relegation by finishing 18th in Division Two that May. In the close-season, he (unforgivably) released a number of the fans ALL-TIME favourite players including Joe Dunne and Tony Adcock. Wadsworth then promptly resigned from Colchester on 25 August 1999 citing difficulties with commuting from his home at Pontefract; before turning up a short while later assisting Steve Coppell at Crystal Palace (hence even further south). Hence " ...that bastard....".

He arrived in Oldham via Newcastle and Southampton (again south) and lasted at Boundary Park from merely November to the seasons end when the Latics sacked him for achieving merely a ninth place finish in Division Two. He has since been all over the place and sacked (or his contract otherwise severed on at least six occasions) including by the Congo National Team......and what was that he said about Colchester being too long a commute from Pontefract.....?
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 12:42 - Feb 16 with 726 viewslatics51

I remember when he was Congo manager having to drag Lua Lua off the pitch during an African Nations Cup tie when he refused to leave the field after a red card.

Funilly enough, when he joined Latics, he dropped one of, well my favourites at least, Matthew Tipton, who then, and I think quite rightly, thought he deserved at least a placed on the bench, if not, starting, and therefore requested to leave.
He brought in Alan Smart who then went on a weekly rampage around Oldham Town centre, and regularly spend nights in the police cells before being sacked.

I still think the decision to replace Ritchie with Mick Wadsworth is one of the main reasons we are still in this division. By the time Dowie came to management, Wadsworth had left a porr team. Dowie got one full season with some good resources, and QPR beat us in the play off semi finals, and then just like that, the money dissapeared. The players were sold, and Dowie was left without pay for 9 months, which is a shame, as I am certain that with Dowie at the helm, with the team he had put together, we could have done good things.
Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 13:47 - Feb 16 with 716 viewsdurham_exile

Latics 0 - 1 Colchester United - Noah's View on 20:53 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Hahaha - well done Noah, hook line and sinker (on a technicality I might add). I actually didn't know that even Vale Park was above the CorporateWhoreSportsDirect.com Park, so thanks for the Triv update...

...and well done Durham on the Obtuse Award of the weekend regarding Vale Park - I did of course mean the wind blowing off Saddleworth Moor towards Oldham, but loving (and agreeing with) your description of their 'demilitarised zone' of a car park - makes one yearn for the scramble for street parking at Layer Rd :-)

Wessex - sorry if I misinterpreted your Saddleworth Moor comment regarding the Hawthorns, it was not clear to me!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024