Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's 21:11 - Aug 5 with 918 viewsdurham_exile

After the dramatic conclusion to the last season and third consecutive relegation reprieve, TH leads his charges for what should be a much improved and positive season in league one.

In truth, notwithstanding the changes made during the summer recess, the team that will take the field on Saturday will have a familiar look to it.

The saga of the unnamed player from the Millers withdrawing at the last minute on Tuesday has left TH to seek another loanee striker elsewhere. It may be too late to introduce a striker for Saturday, but it is vitally important that this position is strengthened and quickly.

£100,000 would prise Izale McLeod from Crawley, but even if we had that sort of (spare) money, is he worth it? Very doubtful and that is why a Championship loanee is favourite on a season long loan.

In the meantime TH will look to field something akin to the following for the season opener:

Walker

Brindley Wynter Eastman Briggs

Edwards Moncur Gilbey

Ambrose Porter Massey

Substitutes:

Parish, Olufemi, Kent, Vincent-Young, Szmodics, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris

Big George is not yet match fit and would be expected to partner Eastman in time.

We have an embarrassment of riches in midfield, which just leaves the little matter of a 20 goal a season striker. Easy really!

Stop press!

Darren Ambrose has signed from the tractor boys - having just played against us in the recent defeat. He has played 378 games and scored 78 goals and at 31 should be a useful addition to the. Squad but he is not a striker!

I do expect him to start on Saturday however.

What of the opposition?

Just lost their second goalkeeping coach in a week (Bobby Mimms and Fred Barber)
Penalty of three points (suspended for two years) awarded following the fiasco against the Terriers
Fined £50,000
Ongoing Chairman and Director issues
Re-laid pitch a few days ago owing to ongoing quality issues
Manager Neil McDonald (who)
Likely to face successive relegations

Well ignore all that, Saturday is all about three valuable home points for the Super U’s
We must be focussed only on the football and not on their many problems and issues.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

[Post edited 6 Aug 2015 17:02]

Durham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 15:56 - Aug 7 with 847 viewsdurham_exile

With Big George passing a fitness test, I suspect that he will partner Tom Eastman in the heart of the defence meaning that Wynter will drop to the bench.

Line up as follows:

Walker

Brindley Elokobi Eastman Briggs

Edwards Moncur Gilbey

Ambrose Porter Massey

Substitutes:

Parish, Wynter, Kent, Vincent-Young, Szmodics, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 16:18 - Aug 7 with 843 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Is Drey Wright injured again?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 18:47 - Aug 7 with 828 viewsdurham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 16:18 - Aug 7 by RSCOSWORTH

Is Drey Wright injured again?

RS my understanding is that Drey Wright is being nursed along at present.

TH has a nice problem in that he has a total squad of 34 players (all with squad numbers), a matchday squad of 20 players of whom only 18 can be selected per game.

My question is would Drey Wright be selected ahead of any of the following at present?

Edwards, Moncur, Gilbey, Ambrose, Porter and Massey. I suspect not.

Essentially TH has two players per position but of the 20 selected this weekend the 18 picked for the team and substitutes suggests that the following would warm the bench:

Parish, Wynter, Kent, Vincent-Young, Szmodics, Bonne and Sembie-Ferris.

Drey Wright will of course get his chance in due course, but his inclusion in the team as a second winger means he will compete with Sembie-Ferris, Bonne, Massey etc.

TH may change things for the Reading LC match and Wright could play then but I think the XI in my preview would be preferred for Blackpool.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 21:21 - Aug 7 with 808 viewswessex_exile

TH confirmed during the week that Drey Wright is being nursed back to full fitness, so might be on the bench but I would be surprised if he starts. Despite Elokobi scaring the pants off most who play against him, I'd be surprised if he starts too - would love to see it tomorrow if he is match fit, just not sure he's quite ready?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 15:52 - Aug 8 with 749 viewsdurham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 21:21 - Aug 7 by wessex_exile

TH confirmed during the week that Drey Wright is being nursed back to full fitness, so might be on the bench but I would be surprised if he starts. Despite Elokobi scaring the pants off most who play against him, I'd be surprised if he starts too - would love to see it tomorrow if he is match fit, just not sure he's quite ready?

Plenty to do for the super u's in the second half.

Come on up the U's

Durham_exile

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 07:35 - Aug 9 with 673 viewsLeadbelly

Poor first half, especially the back four, but improved in the second. We created more chances than Blackpool but for a side thrown together they were certainly no worse than the U's during an entertaining if error strewn game.

On the plus side Gilbey scored a great goal and Ambrose capped a decent debut with a cool finish to one of our better moves. Edwards looked composed and efficient in midfield.

On the debit side we looked a shambles at the back at times and the Blackpool opener really should have been their third goal. Standard pass from the back was a raking diagonal ball to either Ambrose or Massey which worked once. There is little chance of retaining possession trying to play a killer ball all the time and we didn't. Passing in general was poor and too often there was limited movement off the ball.

We secured a point at home to a club that is in turmoil and is also favourite for relegation in many circles. Better sides than Blackpool won't fear a trip to Colchester unless we improve.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tangarine dream this weekend at the Weston Homes for Super U's on 09:06 - Aug 9 with 657 viewsbwildered

Still need to wise up at the back, still not learnt from previous has two soft goals conceded which could have been more . However at the other end two good goals scored, with Ambrose looking like a good signing who will give some invaluable experience .
If the back four do not tighten up we will be chasing more games than we lead like yesterday a situation which is not recommend in terms of confidence or progress for all.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024