Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena 23:38 - Apr 16 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

Easter Monday sees JM take his promotion chasing charges to the Globe Arena Morecambe to catch some Shrimps, fresh from Morecambe Bay.

The U’s first ever visit to the Arena comes at a vital time in the season and our most important game since, well Good Friday, when we entertained the Champions elect Donny Rovers in a thoroughly interesting game, where a draw was probably the fairest result.

The league table and remaining games are as follows:

Doncaster 42 85 — Blackpool H, Wycombe A, Exeter H, Hartlepool A
Plymouth 42 79 — Newport H, COL U A, Crewe H, Grimsby A
Pompey 42 75 — Notts Co A, Cambridge H, Mansfield A, Cheltenham H

Luton 42 67 — Mansfield A, Notts Co H, Accrington A, Morecambe H
Exeter 42 65 — Cambridge A, Morecambe H, Doncaster A, Carlisle H
Stevenage 42 65 — Carlisle A, Mansfield H, Yeovil A, Accrington H
Carlisle 42 63 — Stevenage H, Crawley A, Newport H, Exeter A

Blackpool 42 61 — Doncaster A, Cheltenham H, Notts Co A, Orient H
COL U 42 61 — Morecambe A, Plymouth H, Orient A, Yeovil H
Mansfield 42 61 — Luton H, Stevenage A, Pompey H, Crawley A

Now I’m not going to attempt to predict the results; anyone looking at the Prediction league will see my inability to forecast too accurately! But I will just say that we can achieve the 12 points from our last four games and that will be more than enough. I also believe that the game between Exeter and Carlisle on the final day of the season will be crucial in deciding both those team’s fates.

Morecambe, managed by Jim Bentley, perhaps surprisingly won at Stevenage on Good Friday and will be buoyed by that performance, particularly as it has probably eased their relegation worries. Having said that they will not be in flip flop mode today, mainly because they will be looking to secure the points against a team that unfortunately does not travel well on occasion.

I believe that Colchester will have too much for the Shrimps and it will be their goal keeper Nizic who will be picking the ball out of the net rather than Sam Walker.

JM may also be able to field a virtually unchanged team again; the one exception is whether Tom Lapslie will be fully fit. Should he not play then either O’Sullivan or Loft will step in as midfield cover. The one continuing conundrum however is Macca Bonne. He didn’t even get his 5 minutes of playing time on Friday because he wasn’t in the squad. I don’t know whether he is injured or whether Loft’s return to fitness has relegated him from the squad.

Team:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Murray Lapslie Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:
Brill Wynter Briggs Kinsella O’Sullivan Loft Pyke

Ironically when we have incurred as many as 13 first team casualties at any one time this season, Tom Lapslie has identified the U’s superior fitness as one of the factors as to why they can achieve the play offs. I know many of the injuries have occurred during matches, but several have taken place during training sessions.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful, several of whom will have made a long weekend of it in sunny Morecambe.

Enjoy the game.

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 09:21 - Apr 17 with 839 viewsRSCOSWORTH

A win for us today could be massive given the fixtures of those around us in the table. If we can get off to a fast start and get the first goal then I think we'll win the game.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 14:16 - Apr 20 with 715 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 09:21 - Apr 17 by RSCOSWORTH

A win for us today could be massive given the fixtures of those around us in the table. If we can get off to a fast start and get the first goal then I think we'll win the game.

Been a bit quiet on this thread. Had hoped for a report. Were we unlucky to drop the two points? Will three wins still take us to the play-offs?
Even on the beach I still need to be kept in touch guys. is the colour I am at present.
Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 16:00 - Apr 20 with 707 viewsnoah4x4

We were shocking Gerry, but still should have won.

Awful pitch so both sides content to hoof it. Morecambe peppered Elokobi with 'up and unders' and albeit he coped it was nervous watching. We deservedly scored, then missed the dogged determination and composure of Lapslie. So the usual 'away' disconnect between defence and forwards became apparent. But we never looked like losing. Wright and Fosu missed gilt edge chances. C'est la vie!

Last ten minutes, Wynter comes on the bolster defence, James moved forward into midfield to replace the wholly ineffective Loft. All looking good. U's pressing for a deserved second goal. Then a speculative hoof ball is unwittingly headed backwards by the out of position James, unluckily lands between Eastman and an on running attacker that just gets there first, Wynter covers, mistimes tackle, Morecambe win penalty and an undeserved point. So disappointing, but sums up our season. Once again dragged down to the level of poor opposition. Crowd merely 1400, must have been 300 U's. We out sang them and deserved more from the team. But maybe it's a good thing if we don't get promoted. This is better than losing every week.
Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 18:28 - Apr 20 with 687 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 14:16 - Apr 20 by gerry_us

Been a bit quiet on this thread. Had hoped for a report. Were we unlucky to drop the two points? Will three wins still take us to the play-offs?
Even on the beach I still need to be kept in touch guys. is the colour I am at present.

Gerry - sorry have not posted a report yet, will incorporate an abridged version into my Pilgrims preview.

Essentially we threw it away, I blame JM for going too defensive towards the end of the game.

Richard Brindley's free kick worth the admission money alone.

Also we had the chance with our corner to keep it in the corner but it was played in and keeper had an easy chance to clear, etc etc.

Weather warm and sunny today even in Durham, but not as hot as with you!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 18:58 - Apr 20 with 680 viewsgerry_us

Thanks guys. Nothing changes with our away form then. Basically then we need nine points and however good our home form I can't for the life of me see us getting anything against the O's even if they are already relegated. Even if they are liquidated we still won't beat them!
Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 07:26 - Apr 21 with 642 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to net three Shrimps (points) at the Globe Arena on 18:58 - Apr 20 by gerry_us

Thanks guys. Nothing changes with our away form then. Basically then we need nine points and however good our home form I can't for the life of me see us getting anything against the O's even if they are already relegated. Even if they are liquidated we still won't beat them!

Yes, Orient.....there will be a fair few U's fans "liquidated" too. Best purveyor of the real stuff being the Birbeck Arms behind the tube station and beyond the cemetery. A very away fan friendly pub.

Sad to see Orient go down. Even has its own CAMRA bar. One of our favourite away trips for a pub crawl. Always our first choice alternative if the U's were not playing. But the weekly real ale festival at Exeter City FC is a decent rival and worth a visit. But only one of these three can go up and one down, so that's two of the best real ale grounds gone from the 2017-18 season. That's the tragedy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024